Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

njsykora posted:

It's an Android phone using the new Snapdragon X3 processor they co-developed with Qualcomm bundled with their Kishi controller. A lot of companies seem to be trying to get devices out for Xbox Cloud streaming as it becomes more known, Logitech are doing one too that also runs Android. The problem is they're way more than any sane person should pay for a streaming device, Logitech's is $300 and has a super old Snapdragon CPU so it would suck even for emulation. If Android gaming was less of a joke it might make more sense but Genshin Impact on Android still doesn't have controller support (something it's had on iOS for over a year now).

Well crucially it's not a phone. I think they're trying to tap THE PHONE MARKET which is huge but forget it's actually the phone part that makes the market so big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vic posted:

Well crucially it's not a phone. I think they're trying to tap THE PHONE MARKET which is huge but forget it's actually the phone part that makes the market so big.

I put $5 down because I’m curious. I’ll probably cancel it if reviews are poo poo obviously.

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1581670512622989312?s=46&t=uQ5LMEWBvmwxO74BH8PUSQ

Ok so could save support is going to get me to install this.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Xbox Remote Play the same thing as the cloud game pass stuff, and if not can the deck run it on its own or do you need their controller?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It must mean same network Xbox console remote play similarly to how the ps5 does it.

I’m sure the deck could do it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Emudeck seems to always overwrite the Shader settings in the games I play. Like, I can get the shaders set within the core, save them (that took some learning) so that if I go out of Retroarch and into another game, they stick around. I do this to get rid of the drat bezels too.

But - if I close Emudeck itself (Emulation station, I mean), everything gets reset. Removed are the nice CRT shaders, and returned are the godawful famicon bezels alongside each game.

Any ideas?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have another emudeck question

I have a ridiculous number of roms. At some point I downloaded torrents of every NES game, every SNES game, and so on. Today, I put all the roms in the requisite directory for emudeck, I clicked "generate app list", and it generated like 3700 apps. I'm guessing if I just go forward with the standard procedure, my home screen will be flooded with thousands of shortcuts for literally every game for every system I've gotten roms for. Obviously I don't want that.

I'm used to emulation station type apps giving you a shortcut to launch the app and then letting you pick the ROM out of a list. Is there a way to make that happen here, or should I just click "generate app list" every time I want to play a new rom and save only the one in question?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Again another "why I don't use EmuDeck" post:

The emulators I use (Dolphin, PrimeHack, Mednaffe, etc.) show a list of ROMs when you open the emulator. Yeah you have to use the mouse/trackpad to select them, but using another GUI or adding them to Steam seems totally superfluous.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

I have a ridiculous number of roms. At some point I downloaded torrents of every NES game, every SNES game, and so on. Today, I put all the roms in the requisite directory for emudeck, I clicked "generate app list", and it generated like 3700 apps. I'm guessing if I just go forward with the standard procedure, my home screen will be flooded with thousands of shortcuts for literally every game for every system I've gotten roms for. Obviously I don't want that.

I'm used to emulation station type apps giving you a shortcut to launch the app and then letting you pick the ROM out of a list. Is there a way to make that happen here, or should I just click "generate app list" every time I want to play a new rom and save only the one in question?

It generates collections per-system in steam so you can go pick from them that way, or just load emulation station from within steam and do the same.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

It generates collections per-system in steam so you can go pick from them that way, or just load emulation station from within steam and do the same.

To be clear: if I click the "save app list" button is this what it will do? Trying to avoid the scenario where my home screen is unusably flooded with rom shortcuts

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Again another "why I don't use EmuDeck" post:

The emulators I use (Dolphin, PrimeHack, Mednaffe, etc.) show a list of ROMs when you open the emulator. Yeah you have to use the mouse/trackpad to select them, but using another GUI or adding them to Steam seems totally superfluous.

It adds them to the library directly so you don't have to go through an emulator at all but you do you

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

To be clear: if I click the "save app list" button is this what it will do? Trying to avoid the scenario where my home screen is unusably flooded with rom shortcuts

Yes

And if you decide it’s too cluttered afterwards you can open steam rom manager again and choose the delete lists option and it’ll nuke them all anyway

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Cowman posted:

It adds them to the library directly so you don't have to go through an emulator at all but you do you

It's in the 'collections' sections for me so it doesn't clutter too much.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yes

And if you decide it’s too cluttered afterwards you can open steam rom manager again and choose the delete lists option and it’ll nuke them all anyway

Awesome, thanks, was hoping this would be the case

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chinook posted:

Emudeck seems to always overwrite the Shader settings in the games I play. Like, I can get the shaders set within the core, save them (that took some learning) so that if I go out of Retroarch and into another game, they stick around. I do this to get rid of the drat bezels too.

But - if I close Emudeck itself (Emulation station, I mean), everything gets reset. Removed are the nice CRT shaders, and returned are the godawful famicon bezels alongside each game.

Any ideas?

So when you've loaded up a game in RetroArch bring up the Quick Menu and go back until you get to RetroArch's main menu, then Settings/On-Screen Display/On-Screen Overlay and set it to off. Then go back to the Quick Menu and set up all of your Shaders and save them, then find (I don't have it open right now) the "Overrides" menu on the Quick menu and save all 3 settings in there. That's been my go to for keeping the stupid bezels off and the shaders saved.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Some emulators don't seem to have a fast-forward button, very frustrating... :(

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

-is there any movement on making multiple switch pro controllers work with the deck?
-how do i make a macro to bind a button to right click, press the T key? i searched action layers/sets and i don't understand them

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

loquacius posted:

Go into Steam Rom Manager (relaunch Emudeck, click Tools), shut off everything except Emulation Station. Emulation Station is the thing you're looking for.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hannibal posted:

Go into Steam Rom Manager (relaunch Emudeck, click Tools), shut off everything except Emulation Station. Emulation Station is the thing you're looking for.

yeah this. tick the top "Parsers" option so it turns everything off, then turn on only emulationstation and/or emulators (if you intend on using the other emulators). doing it for a bunch of ROMs is a huge mistake because it will also generate "Friendly" names for them which are a. sometimes wrong and b. completely indistinguishable between versions

ask me about ending up with 10+ copies of Link's Awakening DX in the list and having no way to differentiate them at all

sigher posted:

So when you've loaded up a game in RetroArch bring up the Quick Menu and go back until you get to RetroArch's main menu, then Settings/On-Screen Display/On-Screen Overlay and set it to off. Then go back to the Quick Menu and set up all of your Shaders and save them, then find (I don't have it open right now) the "Overrides" menu on the Quick menu and save all 3 settings in there. That's been my go to for keeping the stupid bezels off and the shaders saved.

emudeck's new "custom" setup as a bunch of options for enabling/disabling bezels, aspect ratios, etc. and only leaves one icon on the desktop now (for itself) rather than several. once it's installed/updated, open it again and there should be a button at the bottom for options

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks to sigher and Zamujasa for the tips on shaders etc. I’m mostly happy with how it seems to be running after doing the new Emudeck install (2.0 or whatever).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just did the easy install and didn't realize emudeck had any of that lol

Also dang Xbox emulation still has a ways to go. Rip Mechassault 2

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Xemu is the worse of the 2 big Xbox emulators but it's the only one with a Linux version and technically has higher compatibility than CXBX Reloaded, though CXBX has way better performance on the games it does run.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah 1 ran flawlessly on xemu but neither seem capable of running MA2 yet based on compatibility lists (didn't bother trying the other on windows it seemed doomed to the same loading loop)

I wonder what it is about it specifically that bombs out? Apparently it fails on the shared Outrun disk too

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

should i download the new emudeck installer to update or does running the one still on my desktop update everything?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

should i download the new emudeck installer to update or does running the one still on my desktop update everything?

Run the desktop update, it'll find everything and even show the new update UI.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This sounds unbelievably lame to say but after years of every all-in-one emulation box solution I've tried having bad input lag (meaning mostly the Nvidia Shield and a raspberry pi) I just loaded up Mario World on the Deck and it was such a pure experience I almost cried

Ok not really but I thought "I almost cried" while doing it which is the same thing right

Anyway I haven't tried the USB hub / Xbox controller setup yet, hopefully that doesn't ruin it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Definitely gonna have to get rid of all these extraneous shortcuts, glad it's easily undoable and the emulationstation ui is an option

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

njsykora posted:

Run the desktop update, it'll find everything and even show the new update UI.

oh man linux nerds are amazing

personally i like the steam rom manager organization so i only see the games ive specifically installed and want to play

edit oh wow it even deleted the old desktop shortcuts

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Mescal posted:

-is there any movement on making multiple switch pro controllers work with the deck?
-how do i make a macro to bind a button to right click, press the T key? i searched action layers/sets and i don't understand them

This took me way too long to wrap my head around but it's actually pretty easy.

Ignore the action layer stuff. Instead assign your deck button to the right mouse button. Then add a subcommand and assign it to the T key. Then customize each command by adding a fire end delay to RMB and a fire start delay to the T command.

The action layer stuff I haven't messed with too much but it basically lets you do something like "Press the X button to toggle between control schemes".

Ive only used action layers to let me toggle the left trackpad from an action wheel to a scroll wheel.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Steam Deck really over delivers I'm glad I got one. I was apprehensive that it would just end up in the closet with my nes, N64, Wii, PSP, and 3ds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Now it is all of those things.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Xinlum posted:

This took me way too long to wrap my head around but it's actually pretty easy.

Ignore the action layer stuff. Instead assign your deck button to the right mouse button. Then add a subcommand and assign it to the T key. Then customize each command by adding a fire end delay to RMB and a fire start delay to the T command.

The action layer stuff I haven't messed with too much but it basically lets you do something like "Press the X button to toggle between control schemes".

Ive only used action layers to let me toggle the left trackpad from an action wheel to a scroll wheel.

it doesn't seem like it wants to let me add a delay or other options to a subcommand

edit: oh drat, i can't even test if it works without the T fire start delay--it needs another command to move the mouse pointer down and to the right a few pixels. or right click, down arrow, T. this is to 'open in new tab' in chrome. probably an easier way to do it

Mescal fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 17, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

huh my n64 games stopped giving me video after updating. no problems with snes or psp

hmm probably related to the new widescreen hacks option when installing huh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never had a widescreen hack not backfire in some way, deck or otherwise

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well the new 'quick settings' option in emudeck let me change the aspect ratio back to 4:3, and now the video is working, but theyre stretched lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah 1 ran flawlessly on xemu but neither seem capable of running MA2 yet based on compatibility lists (didn't bother trying the other on windows it seemed doomed to the same loading loop)

I wonder what it is about it specifically that bombs out? Apparently it fails on the shared Outrun disk too

Definitely has to be something specific to that game considering it had problems running in the Xbox 360 backwards compatibility mode too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Okay, next crisis: I got an Xbox Core Controller to use while my deck is docked. They apparently paired ok if I held down the pairing button, but the indicator light on the controller keeps flashing really fast and the "NOT CONNECTED" indicator on the Deck's Bluetooth menu is flashing wildly on and off. If I hold the controller's sync button down again, its indicator light starts flashing slow instead of fast, and "NOT CONNECTED" stays up. I can't get a connection to hold for more than half a second. What do?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

drrockso20 posted:

Definitely has to be something specific to that game considering it had problems running in the Xbox 360 backwards compatibility mode too

Yeah I was half considering buying a new disc since I lost mine but the 360 BC patch one has audio cut out

Still, MA was a fun revisit and it has a few mods and a barebones online still around! It's better than MechWarrior 5, at least

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok from the emudeck discord, 2.0 can break n64 video with the 3d CRT filter on, and retroachievements arent automatically on

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never had a widescreen hack not backfire in some way, deck or otherwise

Gamecube generally works well because Dolphin is stupidly well optimised by now, I wouldn't trust them on any other system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Nevermind!

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 17, 2022