Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Good god travel lady is insufferable.

Yet another man being crucified for not being able to read minds smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
"I don't really KNOW him" is one of those vague, platitudinous statements that seems to have nothing to do with the person in question and more with travel lady having weird concepts of what that actually means

Also if you don't make your wishes known to your partner you have absolutely no right to throw a fit over them picking the wrong restaurant, much less the wrong foreign countries they're taking your goldbricking rear end to for an all-expenses-paid trip

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just out of curiosity, what more should she have told him? She told him she wanted to be alone together talking and getting to know each other. She told him the timeframe and her budget (because she was planning to pay for it). She told him she wanted to spend the trip swimming and relaxing. That seems like a lot of clarity imo.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Anne Whateley posted:

Just out of curiosity, what more should she have told him? She told him she wanted to be alone together talking and getting to know each other. She told him the timeframe and her budget (because she was planning to pay for it). She told him she wanted to spend the trip swimming and relaxing. That seems like a lot of clarity imo.

"I'm breaking up with you"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I have no idea but how can you be with someone for so long and not know them? I'm still blown away at that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

in normal Earth parlance this request would be interpreted to mean exactly what she got, not literally 336 hours of uninterrupted interrogation in a pool in Paris

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Apparently he's like one of those guys in the movies where the guy is constantly trying to avoid a conversation through whatever means but for like 5 years instead of 5 minutes.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Anne Whateley posted:

She did swim, and relaxation is something you can do anywhere. I know your shtick is to always blame the guy, but what exactly did he do that made it impossible to relax or talk?

If you can't get along on vacation, then how will you get along in day to day life?

Also, did you know that Ursula is Ariel's aunt and King Triton's sister? They cut the scene in the movie showing this, but I believe it is still canon.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

is Anne Whateley an anagram for Amelia Bedelia somehow

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

in normal Earth parlance this request would be interpreted to mean exactly what she got, not literally 336 hours of uninterrupted interrogation in a pool in Paris

yeah their vacation actually sounded kickin rad to me and my gf and I would love to take a trip like that.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

She should've stood her ground in terms of saying "I want to pay my fair share of the trip and be directly involved in the decision-making, even if it means that it's more modest." It sounds like she caved when he said he was going to book a "nice trip" under the fantasy that it was going to be all the stuff she wanted to do. And, in his mind, he probably thought he checked off the "sun and swimming" requirement in Bulgaria.

Anyway, it sounds like they have different philosophies in terms of what they want out of a vacation, and even though he could be more attentive, she could also be more persistent in negotiating compromise for what she actually wants instead of taking her hands off the wheel, and then complaining bitterly about a trip that she might've enjoyed if she was just a little open-minded.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sorry honey but I can only engage in one action per day and talking is a verb. So is sleeping.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My shtick isn't blaming the guy, it's blaming people who don't bother reading the original post in a thread that's all about reading the original post. I find it weird that people prefer to make up stuff with absolutely no basis instead of just reading what's said clearly in the post.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

My shtick isn't blaming the guy, it's blaming people who don't bother reading posts in a thread that's all about reading posts. I find it weird that people prefer to make up stuff with absolutely no basis instead of just reading what's said clearly in the post.

And what was clearly said in the post is that she did get what she literally asked for it just wasn't the ideal that she didn't bother to tell him about. They had plenty of time to talk on the trip and he did arrange a portion of it specifically for chilling in the sun and swimming. That she wanted the entire vacation to be just at a poolside resort in paris is not something he could have possibly predicted from her request. For a lot of people traveling is the perfect time to get to intimately know people and the plans he laid out seem perfectly reasonable for that, all things considered.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Anne Whateley posted:

My shtick isn't blaming the guy, it's blaming people who don't bother reading the original post in a thread that's all about reading the original post. I find it weird that people prefer to make up stuff with absolutely no basis instead of just reading what's said clearly in the post.

Maybe you should read what I posted and answer my question. Again, what about the trip made it impossible to talk or relax? I'm pretty sure you can relax and talk in pretty much any city in the world, barring extreme circumstances.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anne Whateley posted:

Except she got all those things. She told him she wanted things, and she got those.Like, maybe you are the one who needs to read the OP? And yes she could have said much more. If she wanted nothing but those things, she should have said that. If she expected the bulk of the trip to be spent swimming, she should have said that. She could have actually been involved in planning it at all, in any way, beyond saying some of the most generic responses to "what do you want to do for our vacation?" she could come up with.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

Maybe you should read what I posted and answer my question. Again, what about the trip made it impossible to talk or relax? I'm pretty sure you can relax and talk in pretty much any city in the world, barring extreme circumstances.

Unfortunately, the cities he chose were so "dirty and uncivilized" that they had to share a bed with an entire roma family who wouldn't stop grinding their drat organs long enough to have even one real heart-to-heart

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also lmao that she's going on about how she won't be able to take another vacation for forever, and he should understand that. For one, he probably thought he planned a great vacation for her, based on the limited feedback she gave him. Maybe instead of wanting to cross things off his list, he wanted to experience going to places neither one of them had been to together. For another, they've been dating for four and a half years. He probably assumes that at some point in the near future finances are going to start to commingle and once that happens of course she'll be traveling with him. Her allowing him to take her on vacation at all probably cemented that idea in his head. He probably saw this as the first of many, many vacations to come.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I've been dating my boyfriend for 4.5 years and I'm only starting to figure out that he's just a suit with pillows stuffed into it. Someone's drawn a face on the head pillow with a sharpie. I really don't know anything about him.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I wouldn't be surprised if her tight budget was a factor in him picking Eastern Europe. 600 dollars will not get you two weeks on a French/Spanish/Italian beach unless you're traveling really cheap in a way I'm not sure she would have been satisfied with either.

But regardless of whose fault it is they clearly have severe communication issues and the solution is to actually explicitly make time to talk, not hope that a vacation will suddenly allow for a different type of communication than the pattern established over 4 years.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I legit don't understand people who need their vacations to be a solid week and a half of paying a lot to do nothing

Like, you wanna get in a little R&R time, sure, but that should be one activity of many. If you wanna just sit by a pool and read for a week, go to your local YMCA or whatever.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Terrific Accident posted:

I've been dating my boyfriend for 4.5 years and I'm only starting to figure out that he's just a suit with pillows stuffed into it. Someone's drawn a face on the head pillow with a sharpie. I really don't know anything about him.

Sounds like a good cuddler though, things can't be all that bad.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

My shtick isn't blaming the guy,

:thunk:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
As somebody guilty of starting this derail before, let's not start this derail again imo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My [27/F] girlfriend is a human lie detector [33/M]

quote:

I met "D" through mutual friends who all described her as "Nice but really sensitive" which I figured meant she was highly susceptible to her own emotions but it turned out it was more the emotions of the people around her that influence her mood. I've always been a little detatched from my own feelings (what can I say, my parents were in the army) so I'm not sure how much of this is normal behavior but I wanted to list a few examples...

• When she first met my family she kept insisting my sister looked like she had something she really wanted to tell us but was holding it in. After some goading my sister admitted she was pregnant but didn't want to announce it just yet. • When she stopped by my work for lunch for the first time I introduced her to a coworker who she "Got a negative vibe from" and I later found out he was stealing from the company. • When my cousin/friend died I was distraught but wanted to stay stoic until I told her myself. When I pulled up to her house she made eye contact with me and started sobbing. I actually think I did more comforting for her in that scenario.

Her extreme connection to emotion is actually what attracted me to her at first but lately it's been getting frustrating. I can't lie or fabricate anything without her knowing something is up. Plus I'm not doing big lies, just small ones like "Work was fine" but she can always tell

she can smell your fear OP

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Terrific Accident posted:

Well, I hear he loves the Iberian peninsula and hates the Baltic so keep that in mind when he says 'take me somewhere with a coast'

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

All of the authors of the thread content are completely unreliable. The notion of relying on textual evidence here is just silly. Truth doesn't exist in /r/relationships, so just post the most entertaining, hottest takes you got

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This guy is dating the world's greatest detective

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

99% of thread controversies come from reading an inscrutable Rorschach test of an OP like "My parents are abusing me! They make brussels sprouts for dinner all the time, even though I don't like them, and won't let me have dessert until I've finished my dinner!" and splitting furiously down the lines of "Oh my god! The child's parents are abusing them! They said!" and "lol having to eat your veggies is not abuse kid"

The remaining 1% is the like two posters that keep insisting that everyone's family is secretly in a Nazi incest cult, that's really normal but nobody else has the balls to admit it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The stories where people have different takes on day to day stuff are the interesting ones, the abuse and horrific stuff is dull as poo poo, to me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

99% of thread controversies come from reading an inscrutable Rorschach test of an OP like "My parents are abusing me! They make brussels sprouts for dinner all the time, even though I don't like them, and won't let me have dessert until I've finished my dinner!" and splitting furiously down the lines of "Oh my god! The child's parents are abusing them! They said!" and "lol having to eat your veggies is not abuse kid"

The remaining 1% is the like two posters that keep insisting that everyone's family is secretly in a Nazi incest cult, that's really normal but nobody else has the balls to admit it.

All of human history is an eternal struggle between people who are obviously right, who agree with me, and people who are obviously wrong, who do not

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guy (maybe BF?, dating 3 weeks--26m) just walked in on me (28f) in the shower while I was loudly singing "today I met the boy I'm gonna marry." I'm so embarrassed and I don't know if I should just let it be or address it with him.

quote:

Background: For about six months I've had a very flirty relationship with a guy who works in the same office complex I do. He's the most adorably shy guy I've ever seen so finally I asked him out about 3 weeks ago. Our first "date" was a very casual lunch but I knew within two minutes of sitting down with him that I was going to be with him forever. He's staggeringly handsome, he's super respectful, he's sweetly shy but can floor me with his wit and humor when appropriate, he's got a great job, he's good with money, he owns his own house, we have similar hobbies and life goals and he is everything I could have asked for in a guy (just to allay the common concerns, we aren't moving in together, we aren't setting up joint bank accounts, we aren't altering life plans or buying a dog...I'm taking this step by step but I know for certain he's the one).

He spent the night and when we woke up we just had sex for the second time. It was toe curling amazing and I felt like I was on cloud 9. I was running crazy late for work as much as I wanted to lay in bed with him all day long, I told him I needed to get up and shower so I could get to work. He told me that was fine and he was going to hit the gym so he'd shower after. We kissed goodbye and for the life of me I thought he'd left my apartment.

So in the shower I was still on cloud 9 and when I'm feeling like that I sing. Just so happens my song of choice was an older song that basically goes "...today I met the boy I'm gonna marry... " I actually know it word for word but have no idea who actually sang it originally, I just know it from movies. And I was going to town...partially because it's such a fun song and partially because in my heart I'd just had amazing sex with the guy I am in fact going to marry. But yeah, I was belting out the chorus, swinging my hips around, bouncing my knees, rubbing my boobs and sides to the rhythm of the song...having the time of my life.

I didn't have my contacts in so after I'd sung the whole song for probably the 3rd time I got the idea that I wasn't alone so I opened up the curtain and he was standing right there I shrieked and my face and entire body turned beet red. He was trying not to laugh and I was trying not to die from embarrassment. But he couldn't contain it and he started laughing hysterically. He told me that was the cutest thing he'd ever seen but I still couldn't get over the embarrassment of knowing that he'd just seen right into my soul and all these crazy feelings that I have for him that I don't have the courage to share yet. If he would have walked in on me belting out "baby you're a firework" or "today I don't feel like doin' anything" I'd still be embarrassed but it wouldn't feel like he'd seen into my inner thoughts.

My question is this, do I need to address this with him? Maybe say "hey it's just a song, don't worry, I'm not picking out wedding dresses yet" (even though I totally am...just kidding...sort of) and say "I just sing in the shower, and most of the time it's really bad and really loud but it's me, don't ever put me on youtube."

Or do I take his word for it that he thought it was cute and he just caught me in a vulnerable moment and hopefully we have a lifetime of vulnerable moments ahead of us so don't make too big of a deal of this?

tl;dr: guy I've been dating for three weeks just walked in on me singing "Today I met the boy I'm gonna marry" in the shower. I'm so embarrassed because while it's a super fun song, part of the reason I was singing it was because I really do feel that way about him. Do I need to address this or just let it pass as a silly moment and take his word that he thought it was cute?

It's...been 3 weeks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The stories where people have different takes on day to day stuff are the interesting ones, the abuse and horrific stuff is dull as poo poo, to me.

Yeah this thread is better when the stories are ones that are selected for being funny or at least fascinating. Horrific yet boring relationships stories aren't something I really need in my life even if they've been....educational.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I've met someone like this and it was definitely a little unsettling but she used her powers for good and I'd have dated her in a heartbeat.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Guy (maybe BF?, dating 3 weeks--26m) just walked in on me (28f) in the shower while I was loudly singing "today I met the boy I'm gonna marry." I'm so embarrassed and I don't know if I should just let it be or address it with him.

It's...been 3 weeks.

She's super nervous and it's understandable, but we really need to know whether the guy is actually weirded out by this before we address the question of Whether She Should Make A Big Deal Out Of It

and upon reread he's definitely not sooooo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Disagree strongly. The heart and soul of the megathread is not the Takes, nor the Misery, but rather the Freaks

I [18 F] am being harassed, alienated, and vilified in school by peers and several teachers because I drew a picture of Jesus [2018 M] as an anime character

quote:

'm in my junior year, and I go to school in the rust belt, in a really religious area. I don't want to go into it as a career, but I'm really into drawing and art and spend a large amount of time drawing. I like to draw mostly in a very anime-inspired style (I know, don't say anything, I don't take myself too seriously). I have a DA page and a Tumblr that I share with a few friends.

To improve I've been drawing various historical figures in my style for the last year or so. I'm not religious at all but I have a personal interest in theology and religious history, so I've been drawing various figures from religion and religious philosophy (John Calvin, Pope Francis, Maimonides, the Buddha, David, etc.)

At Christmas I thought it would be cool to do a Jesus piece, and I did a depiction of Mary and Jesus as an adult. The picture is just them standing together, smiling and facing the sky and looking like they are praying or peacefully contemplating. From a technique perspective I was very proud of it and I still think it's one of my best pieces. The important parts are that I drew them with darker skin for accuracy, and that I drew them both in complete anime style. It's not sexualized at all unless you consider something just being in anime style "sexualized". Jesus is wearing his usual robe and Mary is wearing her usual outfit + head covering.

I didn't have any issues with this until mid January, when someone in my school found my DA or Tumblr and shared the pics with the school. Several people from my school made Facebook and other website posts calling me out for "making light" of their religious beliefs which spread throughout our mid-sized school very quick.

Many people in our school are super super religious and had political views I don't agree with at all but I have never really had any fights or issues with anyone at my school until this point. I have been approached by at least twenty kids who came up to me and either asked if they could pray for me or went on a tirade about how sick I was to draw the picture and demanding that I take it down. I have two teachers who I got along with really well who suddenly became ice cold to me in the last week, one of them just flatly ignoring me on several occasions (she happens to run the Christian club on campus). I walk home from school and many times since this started kids have driven past me and screamed as they did, and three times thrown bottles/cans at me. There is one kid in my English class who literally just sits and the corner and glares at me the entire class like he wants to strangle me and I feel incredibly uncomfortable. Like with angry twitching eyebrows and that isn't an exaggeration. I'm five foot one and this guy is on the football team and he isn't the only person like this. Every time I've raised my hand or said anything in that class he loudly breathes through his nose. I'm not "scared" but I definitely feel intimidated.

The school counselor is very religious as well and I don't feel comfortable going to her. My parents are completely on my side but it isn't like they can do much about public opinion.

At first I just thought this would go away with time but it's been almost four weeks and if anything it's just gotten slightly worse. People tut and bother me all the time and I really dislike going to school. I'm sick of explaining to people that I meant no disrespect who don't listen anyway the moment I mention me not being religious. I enjoyed school for the most part prior to this and it's become very miserable for me. I haven't missed a day of school and I'm honestly just considering faking being sick for next week so this can die down. I keep getting random texts on my phone with bible quotes and other vaguely threatening or weird messages from numbers I never heard of before at least once a day and I'm dreading school Monday.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

loquacius posted:

This guy is dating the world's greatest detective

Colomba.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

loquacius posted:

She's super nervous and it's understandable, but we really need to know whether the guy is actually weirded out by this before we address the question of Whether She Should Make A Big Deal Out Of It

and upon reread he's definitely not sooooo

I thought it was really cute and quirky until I noticed that after only 3 weeks of dating (and 6 months total of knowing him) she's already got wedding bells in her head.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Disagree strongly. The heart and soul of the megathread is not the Takes, nor the Misery, but rather the Freaks

I [18 F] am being harassed, alienated, and vilified in school by peers and several teachers because I drew a picture of Jesus [2018 M] as an anime character

she has a golden opportunity to goad some moron into getting expelled during senior year, it's like bullfighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

It's...been 3 weeks.

That is a drat lot of words for such a small issue.

Anime is always a mistake.