Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A MIRACLE posted:

hank also has a bad habit of assuming good faith in everyone he meets

but he's always suspicious of people peggy meets

I imagine being married to Peggy for over a decade has him very used to how easily she gets conned. As we discussed, she's pretty much the perfect mark.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dale is remarkably in touch with his feelings and sensitive side.

I can’t remember who pointed it out but Dalie is basically Hanks mirror image in that he’s successful at everything Hanks weak at (close to his son, in touch with his feelings, can openly display affection, can shoot straight) while he’s weak at everything Hank’s successful at (failing business, wife cheated on him, trusts the wrong people and distrusts the right ones)

Wonder if this is one reason why Hank and Dale get along surprisingly well; they cover for each others' weaknesses, and have enough respect for one another to at least hear the other out when faced with a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
It always seemed wrong that Hank would be the one to fall for car dealer scams not Peggy.

Especially after Hank tells Bobby to pretend he hates the new truck.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

BlueBayou posted:

It always seemed wrong that Hank would be the one to fall for car dealer scams not Peggy.

Hank didn't fall for poo poo, he burned that motherfucker to the ground after they ripped him off

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Another Bill posted:

Hank didn't fall for poo poo, he burned that motherfucker to the ground after they ripped him off

They dissed the Mack daddy of Heinrich county. What did they expect.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
The car buying episode and the Bobby working at the racetrack episode always bugged me because while they both seem to have a “feel good ending”; Bobby gets the wrong lesson in both at the end proving that while Hank loves Bobby, he’s a pretty lovely parent.

Racetrack episode was supposed to show Bobby the value of money. In the end, Hank offers to pay Bobby a couple hundo for the work he did. Bobby just says to buy him a couple of pairs of short pants and they’ll be even and that’s where it ends. Lesson not learned

Car buying episode, Hank is supposed to learn that buying something from someone you know can be the worst way to go if you don’t do at least some research. His “car guy” was screwing him over his whole life. End of the episode, Bobby buys his PlayStation and tells the seller: “you’re my electronics guy”. Despite him getting a deal because the dude was afraid of Hank; lesson not learned

Dang, watching a show 100 times will really cause you to overthink it.

I’ll take a frosty, chili and small fry please.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hank:

Pimped girls out on his propane route

Engineered a price fixing cartel

Was a prime suspect in the murder of Debbie Grund

Blew up the mega-lo-mart and pinned it on a dead man

Burned down a car dealership

Cut off a man’s finger because he annoyed him

Illegally smuggled a Laotian immigrant across the Mexican border

Purchased large amounts of crack cocaine

Mooned a former governor of Texas on local television

Extorted a mold inspector to stop his inspection of his mold infested home

Cut a deal with a marijuana paraphernalia store to divert their profits into financing his sons championship rose habit

One of the great criminal masterminds of American television

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

namlosh posted:

The car buying episode and the Bobby working at the racetrack episode always bugged me because while they both seem to have a “feel good ending”; Bobby gets the wrong lesson in both at the end proving that while Hank loves Bobby, he’s a pretty lovely parent.

Racetrack episode was supposed to show Bobby the value of money. In the end, Hank offers to pay Bobby a couple hundo for the work he did. Bobby just says to buy him a couple of pairs of short pants and they’ll be even and that’s where it ends. Lesson not learned

Car buying episode, Hank is supposed to learn that buying something from someone you know can be the worst way to go if you don’t do at least some research. His “car guy” was screwing him over his whole life. End of the episode, Bobby buys his PlayStation and tells the seller: “you’re my electronics guy”. Despite him getting a deal because the dude was afraid of Hank; lesson not learned

Dang, watching a show 100 times will really cause you to overthink it.

I’ll take a frosty, chili and small fry please.

Racetrack episode is actually about Hank learning the lesson not Bobby which is don’t trust people blindly. Sometimes assholes get into positions of power just because someone your boss doesn’t mean they’re intelligent and you shouldn’t let yourself be abused. It nuanced his understanding of hard work and he gives Bobby the money as an apology for thinking that his complaints were him being lazy rather than Jimmy actually being not right.

Of course he then fails to apply the lesson to his own personal life in any way for the next 10 seasons as Buck frames him for loving murder and steals his son away from him

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Hank:

Pimped girls out on his propane route

Engineered a price fixing cartel

Was a prime suspect in the murder of Debbie Grund

Blew up the mega-lo-mart and pinned it on a dead man

Burned down a car dealership

Cut off a man’s finger because he annoyed him

Illegally smuggled a Laotian immigrant across the Mexican border

Purchased large amounts of crack cocaine

Mooned a former governor of Texas on local television

Extorted a mold inspector to stop his inspection of his mold infested home

Cut a deal with a marijuana paraphernalia store to divert their profits into financing his sons championship rose habit

One of the great criminal masterminds of American television

This is an awesome post

Forgot: filled up Dales’ buddy tunnel so no one else could use it

Gets me every time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BlueBayou posted:

Given what car dealers are like they're probably too rude to Peggy to even give her a chance to be ripped off. Hank on the other hand is suspicious of outsiders and modernity, but very easily falls for the good ol' boy act, which is the whole used car salesman stereotype for a reason.

namlosh posted:

Disagree, Bobby is clearly smart to go back to the guy who has already been cowed.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

namlosh posted:

Bobby gets the wrong lesson in both at the end proving that while Hank loves Bobby, he’s a pretty lovely parent.

I can't think of a great example but parenting is full of this tension between being a firm parent teaching them right and wrong vs spoiling and babying them because you love them to bits. I find it super relatable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Buying a car is part of the American way of life. Now why would a car dealership take advantage a loyal customer for a quick buck? They’d go out of business, I tell you what.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Racetrack episode is actually about Hank learning the lesson not Bobby which is don’t trust people blindly. Sometimes assholes get into positions of power just because someone your boss doesn’t mean they’re intelligent and you shouldn’t let yourself be abused. It nuanced his understanding of hard work and he gives Bobby the money as an apology for thinking that his complaints were him being lazy rather than Jimmy actually being not right.

Of course he then fails to apply the lesson to his own personal life in any way for the next 10 seasons as Buck frames him for loving murder and steals his son away from him

That’s fair, the main point of the episode is for Hank to learn that.

But Hank literally states in the beginning that he wants Bobby to learn the value of a dollar. He failed to do that

It just may not be the main point of the episode

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Another Bill posted:

I can't think of a great example but parenting is full of this tension between being a firm parent teaching them right and wrong vs spoiling and babying them because you love them to bits. I find it super relatable.

As a parent myself, I get this and agree.

It just seemed jarring to end both episodes that way

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disagree, Bobby is clearly smart to go back to the guy who has already been cowed.

Dang, 8-D chess… have to admit, they got me :)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

namlosh posted:

This is an awesome post

Forgot: filled up Dales’ buddy tunnel so no one else could use it

Gets me every time

Also forgot that he was an accomplice in the kidnapping of a Mexican child and helped cover-up the smuggling of cocaine into a state prison.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just thinking about that episode where Hank gets assaulted by that cop over and over again for his crimes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

namlosh posted:

That’s fair, the main point of the episode is for Hank to learn that.

But Hank literally states in the beginning that he wants Bobby to learn the value of a dollar. He failed to do that

It just may not be the main point of the episode

Honestly feels realistic and funny for a lesson to fail, and if anything works better than the times characters seem to have to learn the same lesson again and again. Also I get the idea that by the end of such an ordeal Bobby is just bewildered and sick of the whole mess to the point where he just picks the option that resolves the situation quickly so he can move on with his life.

Not to mention the frequent theme that Hank doesn't understand the kind of things he's trying to teach as well as he thinks he does.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

bobby thinks all his hours of labor slinging sodas at the track only resulted in the purchasing power for a couple pairs of short pants, and has no qualms with that part. always cracks me up

Psychotic Puggle
May 21, 2012

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash!
I always wondered why "he watches tv in a hot dog" didn't give Hank pause.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PinheadSlim posted:

Just watched these two episodes and I have this to say in defense of Buck,

even though he tried to frame Hank he only did it because he was certain Miss Liz did it. When the sheriff said it was either her or him Buck tried to fall on that sword and "confessed" so nah I don't think that's Buck at his true worst

the episode where he brings Bobby to gamble with criminals is probably scummier

Yeah I don't think framing someone for a capital crime in texas is better than that, sorry

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

namlosh posted:

the lesson is learned by hank, not bobby. the value of your labor is worth more than what your mentally challenged boss proclaims.

this is a lesson for the viewer also

Another Bill posted:

this is precisely something bill would say

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The racetrack episodes moral which is if you aren’t careful and don’t value yourself a “hard work” and “grit” ethic will just lead to you getting abused by an imbecile who fried his brain by staring at the sun is much smarter and more cutting than the similar episode of Rich Hank Poor Hank which has late-season Hanks always Right syndrome and also is written like a 22 minute boomer meme

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I don't think framing someone for a capital crime in texas is better than that, sorry

You're not really sorry

And I'm not really an admiral

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The racetrack episodes moral which is if you aren’t careful and don’t value yourself a “hard work” and “grit” ethic will just lead to you getting abused by an imbecile who fried his brain by staring at the sun is much smarter and more cutting than the similar episode of Rich Hank Poor Hank which has late-season Hanks always Right syndrome and also is written like a 22 minute boomer meme

Season 8 is still firmly in the good seasons buddy

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kalli posted:

Just thinking about that episode where Hank gets assaulted by that cop over and over again for his crimes.

Hank's jean rear end face looks somewhat forlorn.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I believe it's early on in the first or second season, but the episode where Hank suspects boomhauer is dating or sleeping with Luann because he catches Luann kissing him on the cheek, and Hank would rather believe his womanizing friend is totally going to do that as opposed to the good old boy he tried to set Luann up with who ended up trying to push her into sex. If I remember right, doesn't Hank kick her out of the house and she ends up going to stay with boomhauer and all he does is bring her a blanket and some pillows while she sits there crying and he lets her sleep wherever because he's probably the best dude in all of Arlen.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I imagine being married to Peggy for over a decade has him very used to how easily she gets conned. As we discussed, she's pretty much the perfect mark.

Wonder if this is one reason why Hank and Dale get along surprisingly well; they cover for each others' weaknesses, and have enough respect for one another to at least hear the other out when faced with a problem.

I think it's just that they went to high school together and, well, he's mah neighbor I tell ya what. Pretty much how most of our life long friends tend to shake out, even if we don't wind up living on the same street. Hank just KNOWS the guy.

And, yeah, Peggy is a great mark because she's the perfect example of a reasonably smart person who thinks she's WAY smarter than she is. You look at the Jeff Goldblum genius episode, the foot fetish empowerment one, the beauty contest one and the MLM scam one and, every time, she thinks she's doing something original or outside the box that's totally above everyone else who gets wrapped up in any of that poo poo.

EDIT

Hank doesn't think he's smarter than anyone, really, just that the answer to any question or problem can be solved with hard work, the proper tools and a healthy dose of American tradition.

I tell ya what.

Yep.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 6, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

You eat… PEOPLE???

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

“Wow… mr red corn. That’s actually pretty wise.”

“You like that?!? Hey pass it along to Joseph!! You know if you want… either way it’s no biggie to me.”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

I believe it's early on in the first or second season, but the episode where Hank suspects boomhauer is dating or sleeping with Luann because he catches Luann kissing him on the cheek, and Hank would rather believe his womanizing friend is totally going to do that as opposed to the good old boy he tried to set Luann up with who ended up trying to push her into sex. If I remember right, doesn't Hank kick her out of the house and she ends up going to stay with boomhauer and all he does is bring her a blanket and some pillows while she sits there crying and he lets her sleep wherever because he's probably the best dude in all of Arlen.

Boomhauer def seems on the ethical slut line, he likes getting laid but he's not stupid about it. And seems to wrap it up more than John Redcorn does.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Boomhauer def seems on the ethical slut line, he likes getting laid but he's not stupid about it. And seems to wrap it up more than John Redcorn does.

There is a mild conspiracy around a kid in Bobbys grade who suspiciously looks like Boomhauer, nicknamed "Kidhauer" by the fans.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That’s amazing hahaha

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It comes up a fair amount that Hank is friends with Bill more out of obligation than anything else, but it doesn't come up with Dale who Hank almost became roommates with.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

PinheadSlim posted:

There is a mild conspiracy around a kid in Bobbys grade who suspiciously looks like Boomhauer, nicknamed "Kidhauer" by the fans.

Should have been "Boyhauer" imo

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

bobby thinks all his hours of labor slinging sodas at the track only resulted in the purchasing power for a couple pairs of short pants, and has no qualms with that part. always cracks me up

Well, they were pretty nice short pants. Had to be a hundred dollars at least.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/kickpunched/status/1645150255229353985?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

I like the subtle characterization they do down the line where Luann will call everybody Mr. but she'll call him just Boomhauer if speaking to him directly (she calls him Mr. Boomhauer while explaining to Bobby that he'll never have iced cream again).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

hanks "bad" haircut in the barber episode is so funny

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Boomhauer's house when hank and peggy housesit, and sit on his bed, and the drat tv comes on and it shows them sitting on the bed. And they have no idea.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Milo and POTUS posted:

hanks "bad" haircut in the barber episode is so funny

Is there anyone here who knows how to cut hair?

Don't answer, it's a trick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Boomhauer's house when hank and peggy housesit, and sit on his bed, and the drat tv comes on and it shows them sitting on the bed. And they have no idea.

when the lights in boomhauer's room are turned off and the door is shut, a disco ball descends from the ceiling and dido starts playing