Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
There has been discussion about what's the best alternative for Oxy-Acetylene when it comes to heating rusty nuts/bolts, and some sort of MAPP-torch was recommended. But now that MAPP-gas is no longer made (and it was never well known here in Finland), what's the next best thing? Some sort of Oxy-Propane setup? (My car needs a new set of front suspension top mounts, and I already had trouble with sway bar links, so I'm expecting more stuck bolts/nuts in my near-future)

[Edit] Well of course I finally find something once I asked here. Anyway: Sievert has a torch called Powerjet 2535, and combine that with Ultragas 2205, and you got yourself an actually usable handheld torch. 2,2kW of heat at 1900°C sounds good. Shame that the torch costs over 100€ :homebrew:

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

1/2" extendable ratchet is $11.99 with coupon code 12325378, expires Sunday. They can enter the code at the register.
I discovered today that a lady at my local HF remembers my address and knows me as "Whiskers". :tinfoil:

You need to move. Do it at night, leave no forwarding address. Maybe change your name.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

JointHorse posted:

There has been discussion about what's the best alternative for Oxy-Acetylene when it comes to heating rusty nuts/bolts, and some sort of MAPP-torch was recommended. But now that MAPP-gas is no longer made (and it was never well known here in Finland), what's the next best thing? Some sort of Oxy-Propane setup? (My car needs a new set of front suspension top mounts, and I already had trouble with sway bar links, so I'm expecting more stuck bolts/nuts in my near-future)

[Edit] Well of course I finally find something once I asked here. Anyway: Sievert has a torch called Powerjet 2535, and combine that with Ultragas 2205, and you got yourself an actually usable handheld torch. 2,2kW of heat at 1900°C sounds good. Shame that the torch costs over 100€ :homebrew:

I think they switched to a different formula of gas, in the US it's called MAP Pro now. I use it for searing steaks and yeah it could do plumbing and bolt loosening pretty well too.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I discovered today that a lady at my local HF remembers my address and knows me as "Whiskers". :tinfoil:
Could be worse, she could know you as "Finger Cuffs".

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

mod sassinator posted:

I think they switched to a different formula of gas, in the US it's called MAP Pro now. I use it for searing steaks and yeah it could do plumbing and bolt loosening pretty well too.

They are using the MAP name for familiarity reasons, but they stopped making MAPP gas and they just use propylene now. An air-propane or air-acetylene turbo torch would be preferred for bolt loosening over those little bottles of MAP Pro.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Does anyone have a favorite battery charger? Looking for something I can use for tending and charging motorcycle and automotive batteries with jumpstart capability, and maybe even enough amperage for electrolytic rust removal. My grandfather used to have one that was its own little cart that was beastmode, but I was seven when he died so I remember nothing about it. I'm willing to throw money at this but I don't know who makes the quality goods. I only really need charging/tending at this very moment for my bike which seems to be having regulator/rectifier/battery issues, but all diagnosis needs to be done with a running bike and the battery doesn't have enough juice to kick it off because it hadn't been ridden for a week before I started having problems.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 1, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

For those that don't have a set of gearwrenches yet, Sears has 20 piece set for $45 with free shipping right now: http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-20p...79&AID=11042411

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Ordered a set :frogbon:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

meatpimp posted:

For those that don't have a set of gearwrenches yet, Sears has 20 piece set for $45 with free shipping right now: http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-20p...79&AID=11042411

Dellikose posted:

Ordered a set :frogbon:

Goddammit, my local store is out of stock and Sears claims no availability for shipping. Does Sears do rainchecks?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Beach Bum posted:

Goddammit, my local store is out of stock and Sears claims no availability for shipping. Does Sears do rainchecks?

Shipping showing back in stock right now.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

1/2" extendable ratchet is $11.99 with coupon code 12325378, expires Sunday. They can enter the code at the register.

Snagged two, thanks Whiskers!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What kind of foam is ideal for lining tool boxes? I want to make cutouts for wrenches and need to be able to make small slots relatively close together, and I haven't decided what color I want yet, so options would be cool.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The best stuff is the multi layer kits that cost :homebrew:, You can also use pink/blue foamboard and a hot knife. I used an razor and some foam camping pads. It's a work in progress for me, I probably should have just bought the foam insert kit for my toolbox.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Replying because I've done this once and will be doing it again.

The kits are closed cell polyethylene; some in about 2 pound density, some in about 6 pound; I'm not convinced it matters much. The real stuff (I'm talking the kit I did that came with a set of Lista toolboxes at work) is pretty much identical to the cheap camping mats but thicker, probably the 2 pound density. Hot wire cutter would be easiest, but box cutter or a jigsaw with a wood blade worked pretty well too. Take your time and it ends up pretty drat nice even with just cutting that way.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've got a $100 Amazon gift card and I'd like to get a good chair that is low and rolls well for working on motorcycles. Are there any suggestions? Should I not bother and get one from HF and spend the gift card on Wera toys (laser tips and such)?

Might have to jump on those wrenches, too. Want some x beams though...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If you just want rough outlines for stuff, they make perforated foam called "pick and pluck" such that you can easily cut/tear it out in a 1/2" grid.

Wouldn't look as nice as custom cutouts, but would be a lot easier.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

El Jebus posted:

I've got a $100 Amazon gift card and I'd like to get a good chair that is low and rolls well for working on motorcycles. Are there any suggestions? Should I not bother and get one from HF and spend the gift card on Wera toys (laser tips and such)?

Might have to jump on those wrenches, too. Want some x beams though...

Skip the HF chairs the mounts for the casters break easily. There's some out there that are good but I prefer a movers dolly with a custom butt pad. But that's for working on my scooter so I wanna be low.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SouthsideSaint posted:

Skip the HF chairs the mounts for the casters break easily. There's some out there that are good but I prefer a movers dolly with a custom butt pad. But that's for working on my scooter so I wanna be low.

No, that's exactly what I want. Brilliant idea!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've tried to use the Craftsman foam for tool organization, but couldn't get it to work. It kept snagging and tearing as I was cutting and I couldn't make an accurate cut. So, avoid that?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

If you just want rough outlines for stuff, they make perforated foam called "pick and pluck" such that you can easily cut/tear it out in a 1/2" grid.

Wouldn't look as nice as custom cutouts, but would be a lot easier.

It doesn't hold up like the good polyethylene foam, because it's soft polyurethane. Think Pool Noodle versus a rubbery sponge. The Polyethylene also doesn't absorb liquids as quickly.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I was getting ready to make some organizers as well and this was the best stuff I could find where I live. I figured I'd build it up in layers like the expensive stuff and then glue on a different colored top layer. Not sure how well it will cut though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

El Jebus posted:

It's just like the mechanics creeper I never ever use because cardboard is a lot easier and doesn't get snagged on rocks.

In all seriousness, I think this is what you're looking for. My dad has an ancient rear end one that I have no idea what it is, and it's handy having a rolling tray for tools, but I still sit on a bucket nonetheless.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

-Zydeco- posted:

I was getting ready to make some organizers as well and this was the best stuff I could find where I live. I figured I'd build it up in layers like the expensive stuff and then glue on a different colored top layer. Not sure how well it will cut though.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com

Available in colors, thicknesses, and all sorts of different stuff.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

sharkytm posted:

It doesn't hold up like the good polyethylene foam, because it's soft polyurethane. Think Pool Noodle versus a rubbery sponge. The Polyethylene also doesn't absorb liquids as quickly.
Yeah, I used that stuff in a gun case, which it was fine for, but I wouldn't want to use it for the toolbox - that's much higher cycle count, and it would annoy me to have to fiddle with everything every time I took a wrench in or out. (Whereas the gun tends to come out, stay out for awhile, then go back in at the end of the day.)

I'm liking the dual-layer stuff. I think I'm going to pick some up on Amazon and try it out. I'm rearranging my toolbox because wrenches rattling all the time annoys the crap out of me, and I finally invested in those ORTT socket rails and cleaned out two drawers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sharkytm posted:

https://www.thefoamfactory.com

Available in colors, thicknesses, and all sorts of different stuff.

OH BOY SOMEONE SAY FOAM?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIywnvQpS9c

I'm sorry

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Krakkles posted:

I'm rearranging my toolbox because wrenches rattling all the time annoys the crap out of me, and I finally invested in those ORTT socket rails and cleaned out two drawers.

If your wrenches are rattling around, you should pick up a few wrench holders. One for metric, another for sae, another for specialty stuff, and so forth

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

If your wrenches are rattling around, you should pick up a few wrench holders. One for metric, another for sae, another for specialty stuff, and so forth
Appreciate the idea, but it's for a toolbox in a 4x4. Space is at a premium, those would never fit.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Krakkles posted:

Appreciate the idea, but it's for a toolbox in a 4x4. Space is at a premium, those would never fit.

Tool rolls are are compact and quiet, and the ones with a full length flap give a chunk of clean space with the bonus that you can put it on the ground where you're working.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Blitter posted:

Tool rolls are are compact and quiet, and the ones with a full length flap give a chunk of clean space with the bonus that you can put it on the ground where you're working.
Yeah, tried those. Two problems - speed of access (having to unroll and grab a wrench vs just grab a wrench) and ability to fit in trays of the toolbox. I debated folding them rather than rolling fully, but then they don't hold the wrenches as secure.

Again, thanks, but foam is the right solution to this problem.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
IMO the rolls are the way to go. It's quiet, and It's faster to find the right wrench as long as you organize them in the roll, rather than having to sort through the pile of wrenches at the bottom of a tool box. I took the tray out of my 19" tool box so that the roll can sit inside on top of everything else. Wrenches and sockets are the main things I use, so losing the tray wasn't a big deal. I can still find my screwdriver fast enough at the bottom of the box.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

meatpimp posted:

Quoted because thanks, needed those.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, I used that stuff in a gun case, which it was fine for, but I wouldn't want to use it for the toolbox - that's much higher cycle count, and it would annoy me to have to fiddle with everything every time I took a wrench in or out. (Whereas the gun tends to come out, stay out for awhile, then go back in at the end of the day.)

Screw fiddling, just Dap all the foam layers together so they're solid and Dap three strip magnets and two strips of drawer liner to the bottom of the insert so it can't shift in the drawer. Specifically Dap Weldwood, it's not just for wood.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The LED 4' shop lights at my local Costco dropped from $29.99 to $24.97. The thing about prices there that end in 7 is that they're about to be gone for a while. I got two fixtures.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Need some help on how to size a bolt to buy a replacement on McMaster Carr.
I got sold a bike pannier mounting kit, which is missing one of these shouldered bolts:
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=73321

I have digital calipers and can measure the bolt, but from what I can tell, there's no bolts of this length (maybe 4cm total) in M4 or M5:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#Shoulder-Screws

I think I'd be fine with a bolt that's threaded all the way through, if that's what I can get.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kimbo305 posted:

Need some help on how to size a bolt to buy a replacement on McMaster Carr.
I got sold a bike pannier mounting kit, which is missing one of these shouldered bolts:
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=73321

I have digital calipers and can measure the bolt, but from what I can tell, there's no bolts of this length (maybe 4cm total) in M4 or M5:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#Shoulder-Screws

I think I'd be fine with a bolt that's threaded all the way through, if that's what I can get.

Check out the depot:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_socket_cap_Stainless_steel_A-2.aspx
https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_socket_cap_%28smooth%29_Chrome_plated_steel.aspx

Looks like they've got 40 and 45mm lengths.

Edit: Plus, I don't think that bike kit's screws are actually shoulder screws. They just look like partially threaded socket caps to me. If you're set on McMaster, http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=12crk9a

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 10, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed, boltdepot rocks. They're also local to us, they're like 30-45min south of Boston.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Edit: Plus, I don't think that bike kit's screws are actually shoulder screws. They just look like partially threaded socket caps to me.

Oh, you're right; they're not wide like a real shouldered bolt is.
K, I'll measure and order one. It's too bad they don't list the non-threaded length.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

StormDrain posted:

The LED 4' shop lights at my local Costco dropped from $29.99 to $24.97. The thing about prices there that end in 7 is that they're about to be gone for a while. I got two fixtures.

I have 8 in my garage. Best drat thing ever. One minor inconvenience: Feit won't warranty the unit if you cut the cord or wire it in direct. I put in some ceiling outlets and plugged 'em in, rock on.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TEAH SYAG posted:

I have 8 in my garage. Best drat thing ever. One minor inconvenience: Feit won't warranty the unit if you cut the cord or wire it in direct. I put in some ceiling outlets and plugged 'em in, rock on.

Nice! I replaced my two florescents with two of the LED, then decided I may as well re-mount the good florescent, but I had to run a bit of wire and add an outlet - add an extra $3.50 to the budget I guess. I was lucky to have scrap wire around.

Maybe next time around I'll pick up another pair, I was feeling too cheap to get all four that I probably should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ive got 8 of the Pierlight equivilents in my shop- 30,000 lumens and the only place theres a shadow is directly underneath the car!

In other new, Went shopping today for a 12T hydraulic press- Couldnt find one and the only ones in stock were 20 tonners at well over what i wanted to pay for once.

So i bought a new torque wrench instead!

http://www.norbar.com/en-au/product...id/309/id/11193

Ive got one at work already and its so good i decided to buy one for myself!