Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I see it right here in this table on that same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yup clearing the cache fixed it. Thanks I was helping a few friends switch so they could save a bit of cash

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
They downgraded it though. Used to be 10/gb of overage. IE: the same amount to upgrade a ME plan a gb.

IE: you could get 6gb for the same price as 3 on the ME, etc etc. It diminished after a point but I was going to try and get that if I ever lost my unlimited data.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

They downgraded it though. Used to be 10/gb of overage. IE: the same amount to upgrade a ME plan a gb.

IE: you could get 6gb for the same price as 3 on the ME, etc etc. It diminished after a point but I was going to try and get that if I ever lost my unlimited data.

Any VZW insiders know if that 6gb edge promo plan is still available?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It is but if you're doing Edge it's very possible that it isn't worth it.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Just signed up for the 60/mo single line plan after years of using Net10, and it's awesome. Between this and the half off discount on the iPhone 5s, this is totally worth being on contract for much better service. It's surprising they decided to put out such a competitive plan, it's only 10/mo more than what I was paying for prepaid.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
How does one quit verizon smart rewards? Without quitting verizon anyway.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

modig posted:

How does one quit verizon smart rewards? Without quitting verizon anyway.

In the rewards email there's a link usually to stop receiving the emails. That's how I stopped it

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

yoyomama posted:

Just signed up for the 60/mo single line plan after years of using Net10, and it's awesome. Between this and the half off discount on the iPhone 5s, this is totally worth being on contract for much better service. It's surprising they decided to put out such a competitive plan, it's only 10/mo more than what I was paying for prepaid.

What is it with taxes though? Haven't gotten our first bill here, but expecting close to $70/month.

I was pricing the Cricket ($45/month with autopay 2gb/month) vs Verizon $60/month (same data/minutes/texts). The Verizon plan includes phone subsidy though, which is huge. On average, say a brand new smartphone is $650 retail but you pay $200 on Verizon with the the subsidy, saving $450. This averages $18.75/month in savings over two years, putting you at only $41.25/month, actually cheaper than Cricket. But if taxes are over $4-5/month, Cricket is still slightly cheaper. In California, for some reason, there are massive taxes on postpaid but none on prepaid.

Still, incredibly competitive plan from Verizon. And their service is still better than AT&T, at least on the west coast. Definitely getting more interesting :sparkles:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So I've got a breaking down old rear end Bionic, which has been a great phone but desperately needs replaced, and am looking at upgrading. Still have the grandfathered unlimited plan, but don't really need it anymore (~400mb data usage a month lately) and don't have the cash to just buy a full price phone. Is the 6gb package still offered for people coming off unlimited? I figured that would be the best way to go. The Moto X seems to get great reviews and I'm definitely a Moto fanboy after the bionic served me so well, it's cheap and what I am looking at. But will there be a better upgrade option that I should go for or wait for?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

So I've got a breaking down old rear end Bionic, which has been a great phone but desperately needs replaced, and am looking at upgrading. Still have the grandfathered unlimited plan, but don't really need it anymore (~400mb data usage a month lately) and don't have the cash to just buy a full price phone. Is the 6gb package still offered for people coming off unlimited? I figured that would be the best way to go. The Moto X seems to get great reviews and I'm definitely a Moto fanboy after the bionic served me so well, it's cheap and what I am looking at. But will there be a better upgrade option that I should go for or wait for?

New Moto X (and probably other Moto phones) will be announced the first week of September.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does Verizon have a Price Reduction policy like the Apple Store?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/26/verizon-volte-launch/?ncid=rss_truncated

quote:

One last catch relates to Verizon's video calling: All calls will be billed as both minutes and data.

Wow, just....wow.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You expected any less?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
More prone to dropping calls in lousy coverage areas, AND will cost me more? Sign me up! :wtc:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

You expected any less?

They've just dropped all subtlety about it.

They know people on tiered data plans will be more likely to have unlimited minutes.

They know people on unlimited data plans will be less likely to have unlimited minutes.

So, by doing this, they are able to extract the maximum amount of flesh from both parties.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

They've just dropped all subtlety about it.

They know people on tiered data plans will be more likely to have unlimited minutes.

They know people on unlimited data plans will be less likely to have unlimited minutes.

So, by doing this, they are able to extract the maximum amount of flesh from both parties.

This is a completely optional thing, and if you have unlimited data, it's not like you'll suddenly call WAY MORE, so minutes are highly unlikely to change. When VoLTE phones come out in a couple years, who knows what the current plans will look like.

If a phone is connected to wifi, can it make the call through that? If it's just essentially a VoIP service, I can't see why not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hoobajoo posted:

This is a completely optional thing, and if you have unlimited data, it's not like you'll suddenly call WAY MORE, so minutes are highly unlikely to change.

Saying it's a completely optional thing doesn't handwave away the fact that they are double charging for a service on zero technical merit. It's an underhanded thing to do, no matter if you are planning on using the service or not.

I don't think any of the VoLTE calling will be available on wifi. Or, rather, I would bet that if you can use wifi for it, it will still cost you minutes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bull3964 posted:

Saying it's a completely optional thing doesn't handwave away the fact that they are double charging for a service on zero technical merit.

Verizon: literally Hitler.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm just happy they aren't billing VoLTE calling itself as minutes AND data. That would be the underhanded move to end all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PitViper posted:

I'm just happy they aren't billing VoLTE calling itself as minutes AND data. That would be the underhanded move to end all.

Honestly, bandwidth usage for VoLTE will be so small that they probably though they couldn't monetize it easily.

However, I fully expect Verizon billing to gently caress up completely and start charging people for the data VoLTE uses and for it to take months to straighten out.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

bull3964 posted:

However, I fully expect Verizon billing to gently caress up completely and start charging people for the data VoLTE uses and for it to take months to straighten out.

They'll pry do it on purpose at first to see what they can actually get away with before being called out. Then dub it as a "billing error" to lessen their own backlash.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
VoLTE is such a huge increase in call quality I almost don't care. Already I use FaceTime Audio when I can because it sounds so much better, video FaceTime sounds like the better deal unless they "degrade" it.

Hed fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 26, 2014

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Over in the Japan phone thread they say this simcard is a thing to do
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/product.html

I admit that I don't entirely understand how sim cards work. I'm on a Droid Maxx, and I'll be abroad 10 days. If I buy this, then I just plunk it in, connect to their network, and I've bought the 1gig plan that goes with it? This wouldn't affect my regular bill would it? Do I even need to activate the piddly 100mb global data if I do this?

Basically what I want to do is use google maps and train schedules, and lightly text the friends we're staying with.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You need to do nothing with Verizon, the Maxx is fully GSM unlocked. Take the Verizon SIM out of the phone, put it somewhere safe. Get the SIM from the foreign carrier, make sure to get the nano-SIM style for the Maxx. Enjoy your Japanese phone number and service.

I don't know/remember if this is the case with Verizon, but I remember when I did weekly foreign travel as an AT&T subscriber that if you let the phone register on the network at all in a foreign country when it had an AT&T SIM in it, then calls were charged international roaming rate. Even for the call forwarding, when your call goes to voicemail because you didn't answer. You ended up paying international roaming per minute rates for someone to leave you a message. After getting burned by that, I started making a habit of pulling the SIM while I was boarding my flight out of the US, and not putting it back until I landed on US soil from my return flight.

Maybe someone who works for Verizon can confirm if that's a thing with Verizon too. Seems like just to be on the safe side, don't power the the phone on outside of the USA if there's a Verizon SIM in it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Defenestration posted:

Over in the Japan phone thread they say this simcard is a thing to do
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/product.html

I admit that I don't entirely understand how sim cards work. I'm on a Droid Maxx, and I'll be abroad 10 days. If I buy this, then I just plunk it in, connect to their network, and I've bought the 1gig plan that goes with it? This wouldn't affect my regular bill would it? Do I even need to activate the piddly 100mb global data if I do this?

Basically what I want to do is use google maps and train schedules, and lightly text the friends we're staying with.

Droid MAXX doesn't support the majority of the bands listed there. None of the LTE bands are compatible and only band 1 (2100mhz) is compatible on the HSDPA side. Band 19 isn't traditionally considered a global roaming band, so most global CDMA phones don't support it.

The majority of Japan's networks aren't what's usually thought of as global roaming so phones touting this capability are usually european focused.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Droid MAXX doesn't support the majority of the bands listed there. None of the LTE bands are compatible and only band 1 (2100mhz) is compatible on the HSDPA side. Band 19 isn't traditionally considered a global roaming band, so most global CDMA phones don't support it.

The majority of Japan's networks aren't what's usually thought of as global roaming so phones touting this capability are usually european focused.

What does this mean for me? The website says I only need to support one of the bands, so will band 1 cover me? If I can't get LTE that's ok 3G will be enough

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Defenestration posted:

What does this mean for me? The website says I only need to support one of the bands, so will band 1 cover me? If I can't get LTE that's ok 3G will be enough

Ah, I didn't see that detail about only needing to support one of the bands. If that's truly the case, then you should be good.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, they list unlocked GSM iPhones as being compatible even though according to Apple's site they seem to only support 2100.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
If I have a family plan with 3 unlimited lines, can 1 user still upgrade just their line (and give up their unlimited for a capped plan) while leaving the other 2 lines unaffected?

I know this used to be possible but I haven't kept up with the plan changes as of late.

Edit: also, is it still okay to buy used phones and keep unlimited? I remember reading something in this thread about phones that were bought under subsidy being "blacklisted" and removing unlimited from people who put them on their lines.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

If I have a family plan with 3 unlimited lines, can 1 user still upgrade just their line (and give up their unlimited for a capped plan) while leaving the other 2 lines unaffected?

I know this used to be possible but I haven't kept up with the plan changes as of late.

Edit: also, is it still okay to buy used phones and keep unlimited? I remember reading something in this thread about phones that were bought under subsidy being "blacklisted" and removing unlimited from people who put them on their lines.

Yes to the first question, only the line being upgraded has to move to tiered data.

As to the edit, as long as the used phone was NOT on contract when it was disconnected, it is OK to use. A customer service rep can look that up.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

As to the edit, as long as the used phone was NOT on contract when it was disconnected, it is OK to use. A customer service rep can look that up.

I feel it's worth pointing out that I used the upgrade from one of the lines one my plan a week and a half ago, activated it on that line, then put my sim card (from an unlimited line) in it and have had zero problems. I just checked and I'm still on unlimited. I even reactivated the old feature phone and removed the data plan from the other line from my laptop when I got home (I did the the day before the stopped allowing you to downgrade after using a subsidy, although I never read anything else that confirmed that was now being enforced after the initial wave of posts warning about the policy change).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
How long has visual voicemail been free?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It looks like they introduced a "basic" visual voicemail with fewer features from their $2.99 /month offering.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife and I have had 2 Iphone 4s since October 2012. We have 700 minutes shared, 500 messages each and 2GB of data each. (Nationwide voice) We currently spend $150 a month (including an 18% employee discount through my wife's work). Together, we have went over 1 gb of data once in 2 years (Wifi is our friend). Unfortunately, since setting up our contract 2 years ago, I have no idea anything that Verizon offers (we do not have cable so I never see commercials for them).

We are looking to re-up in October (our area is poo poo for anything besides Verizon). What is a plan set up that Verizon offers that might cover us while reducing costs?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife and I have had 2 Iphone 4s since October 2012. We have 700 minutes shared, 500 messages each and 2GB of data each. (Nationwide voice) We currently spend $150 a month (including an 18% employee discount through my wife's work). Together, we have went over 1 gb of data once in 2 years (Wifi is our friend). Unfortunately, since setting up our contract 2 years ago, I have no idea anything that Verizon offers (we do not have cable so I never see commercials for them).

We are looking to re-up in October (our area is poo poo for anything besides Verizon). What is a plan set up that Verizon offers that might cover us while reducing costs?

Each phone can get unlimited talk and text and 2GB on each phone for $120 (employer discounts don't apply to this plan). There's also the standard "More Everything" plans with shared data, but they're not economical unless you have 3+ lines.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
So I was incredibly drunk last night, and lost my phone/had it stolen. I've tried tracking apps, calling it just goes to voicemail, called all the bars, nobody has it so it's gone.

It hasn't been 2 years so I'm not eligible for an upgrade. I had a Galaxy Note 2, and replacing that is with a Note 3 is like 600 bucks.

What are my options?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Has anyone seen a confirmation of the Droid Turbo release? Also will my accessories discount work on the Moto 360?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Swappa.Com for a used phone? Check sa-mart for a used phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I have a G3 and a Moto X that I'm considering selling (in order to buy a new X), if you're interested.

• Locked thread