Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mescal posted:

how do you deal with epic launcher? is there a quicker, easier, more integrated approach than the obvious one?

I just installed via the heroic launcher (search discover store on desktop) then it was added as a non steam game via boilr. Fairly painless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

When you install a game, updates, and dlc in Cemu, can you delete the files afterwards? Are they installed elsewhere?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Is there a way to reset your password easily? I think I messed up the entry in desktop mode and I don't remember the exact password.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Chinook posted:

When you install a game, updates, and dlc in Cemu, can you delete the files afterwards? Are they installed elsewhere?

Seems like it. I deleted the files for the update and DLC for Breath of the Wild and it seems to be working fine afterwards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Veotax posted:

Seems like it. I deleted the files for the update and DLC for Breath of the Wild and it seems to be working fine afterwards.

This is right, installing content copies the required files to Cemu's internal storage folder.

I'm in two minds over Saturn stuff right now, on the one hand Sega Rally won't open and that's annoying and on the other hand it's almost certainly Retroarch's fault and I don't want to ever waste time working around that shitass program. Having portable Sega Rally would rule but also my Nvidia Shield runs Saturn stuff perfectly and I have an 8bitdo M30 controller hooked up to that so maybe I should just use that whenever I want to play Saturn.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the best way to drive desktop mode from an iPad with keyboard? I want to do some ROM janitoring while I’m sick in bed but the weak on-screen keyboard is killing me.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've got a few emulation questions:

What do you do when Steam Rom Manager has found image files for everything, but the Steam interface doesn't end up showing the image for a game?

Also, I've ended up with duplicate Dreamcast games listed for some reason. Both launch the same game, but nothing in the files indicates different regions or whatnot (just a bunch of .bin files, a .cue and a .gdi file). Does anyone have any idea what that's about?

What's the deal with games split over 2 or more disks? Is modern emulation smart enough to handle disk swaps?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kin posted:

What do you do when Steam Rom Manager has found image files for everything, but the Steam interface doesn't end up showing the image for a game?

Also, I've ended up with duplicate Dreamcast games listed for some reason. Both launch the same game, but nothing in the files indicates different regions or whatnot (just a bunch of .bin files, a .cue and a .gdi file). Does anyone have any idea what that's about?

What's the deal with games split over 2 or more disks? Is modern emulation smart enough to handle disk swaps?

Might need to manually add the image in the desktop version of Steam, but more likely you just haven't noticed it in the Non-Steam category

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kin posted:

It wasn't finished scrubbing for images, there's 4 or something different images it pulls from and it defaults to only displaying one at a time, on the top right there's a drop down menu you can select "All Artwork" and if you scroll down I'm sure it would have been still populating. Just run SRM again and wait for all of the images to load, you probably have most of them so it should be quick, save again and double check.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

sigher posted:

It wasn't finished scrubbing for images, there's 4 or something different images it pulls from and it defaults to only displaying one at a time, on the top right there's a drop down menu you can select "All Artwork" and if you scroll down I'm sure it would have been still populating. Just run SRM again and wait for all of the images to load, you probably have most of them so it should be quick, save again and double check.

Ah, there was a number at the top counting down. I figured it was done when it reached 0.

I scrolled down in SRM and saw the games with missing images but I'll wait s little longer next time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kin posted:

Check the parser list in SRM, it might be showing the same game but with 2 different emulators. So I think Dreamcast has both the standalone Redream and a Retroarch core. Turn one of those off and it should only show one.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is there a way to reset your password easily? I think I messed up the entry in desktop mode and I don't remember the exact password.

Not sure what your level of comfort is with this stuff so I wouldn't say it's easy but this worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tuoidv/comment/ibpf1o7/?context=3

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's a way to reset it not easily but I'm not going to mess with recovery disks 'til at least some weekend and even then I haven't thought it worth the bother quite yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the best way to drive desktop mode from an iPad with keyboard? I want to do some ROM janitoring while I’m sick in bed but the weak on-screen keyboard is killing me.
I'd probably just use VNC or something like that, are you trying to use it on the touchscreen though? You get a really high WPM with the touchpad typing once you get used to it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

rogue genesia is a must own for deck if you're tired of vampire survivors

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Kin posted:

Ah, there was a number at the top counting down. I figured it was done when it reached 0.

I scrolled down in SRM and saw the games with missing images but I'll wait s little longer next time.

Some games are missing some kinds or dimensions of art. iS doesn't show art for me, even though it's listed in SteamGridDB. There's only square and wide grid art, not tall, and it seems like if it doesn't find a tall it doesn't put it on.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Has anyone got the ps2 Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast (the pcxs2 version) playing decently on the Deck? Mine drops frames badly and jumps between 30 and 60 in the same race frequently. And the music slows down, and it just gets all ugly.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone tried both the Rokid and NReal Airs on the deck? If so, how do they compare? Nreal is 380 but delivery is 30 to 45 days out. Rokid is 400 with delivery tomorrow, as well as myopia adjustment. I'm not that near sighted but the nreal 4m focal distance is still a bit further than optimal. Is there a downside to the rokids I'm but seeing, or is all the nreal talk just because it's newer?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chinook posted:

Has anyone got the ps2 Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast (the pcxs2 version) playing decently on the Deck? Mine drops frames badly and jumps between 30 and 60 in the same race frequently. And the music slows down, and it just gets all ugly.

There's a PC version that runs fine on Linux via Wine/Proton. The port was a little iffy, but there's community patches to fix it up.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

CRAYON posted:

Not sure what your level of comfort is with this stuff so I wouldn't say it's easy but this worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tuoidv/comment/ibpf1o7/?context=3

I'll give it a shot. I did get a big 1TB MicroSD, just in case I would have to factory reset something.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Anyone tried both the Rokid and NReal Airs on the deck? If so, how do they compare? Nreal is 380 but delivery is 30 to 45 days out. Rokid is 400 with delivery tomorrow, as well as myopia adjustment. I'm not that near sighted but the nreal 4m focal distance is still a bit further than optimal. Is there a downside to the rokids I'm but seeing, or is all the nreal talk just because it's newer?

I've heard the Nreal Airs are significantly higher quality. I've got my eye on them if they get better pc support (which sounds probable but uncertain on the official reddit).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

I'd probably just use VNC or something like that, are you trying to use it on the touchscreen though? You get a really high WPM with the touchpad typing once you get used to it.

Yeah, I guess I should just practice with the touchpads. Something that could link clipboards or do easy file transfer as well would be choice, though. Maybe I’ll look into Barrier for the at-my-desk case.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dark Souls franchise needs to go on sale already.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Detective No. 27 posted:

lmao, we've come full circle, Steam sales were once interesting and fun, then they got really boring because you probably had everything you wanted and now we're demanding them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I guess I should just practice with the touchpads. Something that could link clipboards or do easy file transfer as well would be choice, though. Maybe I’ll look into Barrier for the at-my-desk case.
Yeah Barrier would have been my first call I use it on all my stuff, was kinda surprised they don't have an ios client could have sworn they did before the fork.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’ve been entirely a console player until now. Most of my Steam library purchases up until now have been “maybe someday” through Humble Bundles and such. I’m Elden Ring’s out on PS5. But I never did give Dark Souls 2 a proper try so I’ve been holding out on a sale.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's a shame all the Dark Souls servers are down right now, multiplayer might thrive with this thing coming out.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Subjunctive posted:

have you tried just the ios steam link app? Alternatively while I havent tried it on the steam link I use the ios RealVNC all the time on my phone to connect to a linux box, I assume the same would work here too (and syncs a clipboard)

edit: It may be under VNC Viewer or VNC Connect

Tweak fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 18, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

They skipped the summer sales, I assume because the popularity of Elden Ring is increasing interest in From's older titles.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've had Dark Souls Remastered in my wishlist for at least a year and I don't think it's gone on sale once this entire time

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kin posted:

If those files are for the same game, the .gdi is one copy and the .bin+.cue is another.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Trying out some PS2 emulation and realised that as my games are the UK versions they run at 50fps by default. Could this be an advantage with more demanding titles as the Deck needs 10 less fps to be running at "full speed"?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yep. It's a pretty common trick for emulating games from that era on power constrained systems.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Nice! PAL supremacy!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Linux Goons, can I set Discord to auto start when going into Desktop Mode? And how do I change the speed of the mouse wheel? It's tedious with the default settings but I don't see anything under mouse settings.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just gave XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within a try, game runs near perfectly aside from needing to use the "mouse" function on the Steam Deck to access the part of the menu where you can switch the inputs to be Xbox 360 controls, once you do that it recognizes the Deck's built in controls just fine, do have some weirdness regarding frame rate but I think that might be something inherent to how the game works rather than something relating to issues with Proton or anything as it seems to be tied to the cutscenes

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

If those files are for the same game, the .gdi is one copy and the .bin+.cue is another.

Hmm, thanks for that. I thought about that but the gdi is only a couple of kb compared to the 1.11GB of the bin/cue combination.

The cue file is also tiny though. In laymans terms are the gdi and cue files like pointers to the emulator for where the bin files are? So by having both, the emulator thinks there are 2 copies of the game when it's actually just 2 pointers accessing the same game data?

I'll try switching off one of the emulators highlighted above and if that doesn't work I'll try deleting the gdi files.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kin posted:

The cue file is also tiny though. In laymans terms are the gdi and cue files like pointers to the emulator for where the bin files are? So by having both, the emulator thinks there are 2 copies of the game when it's actually just 2 pointers accessing the same game data?

I think so yeah. You can open either in a text editor and see the file or track list. Some game backups will have separates files for audio tracks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I know that the .cue files are there to work with the .bin files and neither will work on their own. IIRC the .cue files are sort of like a track listing for the computer to read, as in literally the physical tracks on the CD-ROM that store the data.

Don't know anything about the .gdi files, I've never done anything with Dreamcast emulation before, but the Dreamcast did use a proprietary type of CD called IIRC the GD-ROM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Just took a punt and deleted the gdi files. Duplicates gone and the remaining games work fine. All good now.

Edit: next issue, does anyone know how to install DLC for emulation?