Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
'griefing yourself' should autocorrect to 'a great idea' in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just wanna play some fun action murder mystery :(

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Phobophilia posted:

Go play Space Station 13. We'll wait here.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

This might not be the thread to complain that your game experience is being disrupted by others....

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

victrix posted:

Spending your time on that game at all sounds like griefing yourself

If you can find a decent, consistent server to play on, you're golden.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
My dumb story:

I got admingibbed playing FISH the other day. FISH is a sandbox fishing game, you spawn a rod, hook and bait, combine them, and throw it out in the water. You can fish up some crazy stuff and shoot it with a "Sell Gun" for cash to buy real guns and a better rod to fish more cool stuff up. You can fish up almost any item from the HL2 universe, even random HL2 NPCs in either friendly or aggressive mode. Killing bad NPCs gives you more money, so you can buy more stuff. The beginner rod is an item you pick up and can throw around, The advanced rod is actually a SWEP, an equippable item like a pistol or bug bait.

I took to fishing up giant pieces of furniture with the advanced fishing rod and building a living space for myself, and fished up a rare item worth a great deal of money, the big TV. An admin and an annoyingly voiced fellow with a MLP name pipe up and start freaking out at me to sell it, but it's badass and it really completes my living space. I think as long as I have it, it can't spawn for anyone else either, so there's that. A bunch more players show up to gawk, and I accidentally hit one with My Enormous Rod (tm), I think it just pushed him into the water or did like 1 damage. No big deal We've all been accidentally doing it to each other since I started. Guy complains, admin blows me up and deletes all my stuff.

I guess you could say ":smug:Looks Like The Game Griefed You:smug:" but you shouldn't because it's getting annoying to hear it so often in this thread, so please don't.

TTT was a really fun gamemode when it was new, and it would be amazing played with friends, but the toxic gmod community ruined it with overreactions, admin power abuse, and childish poo poo. I wish the SA Gmod thread was active again.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only reason to play Gmod anymore is to make entitled twelve-year-olds poo poo themselves with rage when you do literally anything at all.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The only reason to play Gmod anymore is to make entitled twelve-year-olds poo poo themselves with rage when you do literally anything at all.

It helps when 'anything at all' involves the easyweld tool and invisible thrusters.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

UglyDucklett posted:

TTT was a really fun gamemode when it was new, and it would be amazing played with friends, but the toxic gmod community ruined it with overreactions, admin power abuse, and childish poo poo. I wish the SA Gmod thread was active again.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but a sizeable number of TTT servers have loving CASH SHOPS. Game griefs you, etc etc.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

YellerBill posted:

Go play Space Station 13. We'll wait here.

He said fun :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I'm sure most of you are aware of that dinky Korean MMO called Ragnarok Online, considering that I heard of SA from a friend I met on a private RO server. Hell, there was a thread in PGS about 2-3 years ago about goonrushing that same server (EssenceRO, the one run by Tira, etc.), don't know what happened to it though. Anyway, like I said, RO is (was) an incredibly easy game to grief simply because of the language barriers (mainly Brazilians and Filipinos). After drifting from server to server looking for a decent gameplay experience (this was when I thought RO was a cool thing), I stumbled onto EssenceRO. Thus, after joining some scrub guild and having some fun with them, I left and joined one of the more competitive guilds, and that was when the fun began. Highlights of my time griefing on eRO include:

-Dead Branch Griefing.
Dead Branches are a consumable item, which when used, would spawn a random monster from the game's database (including minibosses!). My favorite past time in RO was gathering hundreds of these, finding a starter dungeon, and just using every single loving branch in my inventory and watching everyone freak out as they got mob-rushed by higher level monsters. Having a max level sniper class character, I could just sit there, laughing my rear end off as they got destroyed, then just murdering everything before teleporting out of the dungeon. Later on one of the GMs found out someone was doing this, and had the admin staff compile a list of dungeons that were marked as no-branch areas. I was friends with one of the admins so he told me about the patch and I simply laughed my rear end off and told him that I was the one doing all of the branch-griefing.

-Kill-stealing.
Normally this isn't a thing to complain about, but there was a certain dungeon where you could gather ingredients for healing items which were used in the game's PvP environment, called starsands, which was normally full of people one or two days before the server's weekly War of Emperium (big-rear end guild versus guild free-for-all event), because they needed the sands to give to their guild's ranked alchemists. Any alchemist could make the potions, but ranked alchemists had the benefits of more effective potions (this was also useful as anyone could make easy money just selling the sands to these alchemists for massive amounts of coin). The obvious way to hunt these sands was with an archer class character, specifically a hunter, because they could one-shot them from range and had enough agility to gather up a mob of them before killing them. Yet somehow half the idiots in the dungeon were either mages or swordsmen. Snipers also had the benefit of the longest attack range. So basically, griefing these people came without even knowing it. I remember being PM'd by some angry guy because I was killing his mobs from off-screen, which gave me an idea. I had already collected enough sands to last me for several weeks, so I just turned autoloot off and started following this guy around, killing every single mob he gathered. eRO had a system that if someone killed a monster and didn't grab the loot, the game would lock the loot in place for 5 minutes so no one else could pick it up. Naturally this guy got infuriated because I kept killing his monsters and leaving the sands in place, which he couldn't grab.

-Spawning Bloody Branches in private guild towns.
This one was the best and funniest ways to piss people off, and it was because of me and a group of guildmates that guild towns were added to the "no branch areas" list in the server database. Bloody Branches were exactly like the Dead Branches I mentioned above, but instead of spawning regular monsters, it spawned nothing but Boss-level monsters, which in eRO were buffed up to ridiculous levels to counteract the increased stats. One day before WoE (war of emperium, see above), I accidentally used a BB in our private guild town forcing everyone there to waste time killing it, for poo poo loot. I tried it again, and yep, I could still use them (we thought they had been disabled in guild towns the whole time). So, when WoE started, I warped to another guild's private town (I knew their password from selling some poo poo to their guild leader), and broke five bloody branches in their prep area (where people would set up warp portals and shops for guild supplies). As luck would have it, the game's RNG decided that the 5 random boss monsters should be among the game's most difficult, and everyone in the guild town was utterly and completely wiped. My guildmates and I spent a good 10 minutes in our Ventrilo server just laughing our asses off at the screenshots I took. Unfortunately, the BBs were modified in a ninja patch so that instead of displaying the monster's name, they would display the name of the person who spawned them. So I got banned for 3 weeks (normal ban period was 1 week) because one of the GMs was in the guild that I griefed, and decided to be a big baby about it. In retrospect, it was worth it and I don't regret doing that.

-Scamming
Standard poo poo really. Me and other guildmates would advertise that our guild was recruiting members, and since we were one of the better guilds (competitively and financially) we would get a ton of PMs from "prospective" recruits. We would tell these recruits to meet us in a town, where we collected our "standard recruitment fee" (we told them it was to cover guild expenses like starsands and basic gear for guildies), which would be between 50m-150m zeny (in-game currency). Then we told them to go to the eRO forums and post an application in our guild recruitment thread, which would then be laughed at by everyone in our guild and then just denied.

-Boss-level Map Griefing
This was one of the more entertaining things we did to grief people on the server. Each boss monster had a specific map and time where they would spawn (spawn times varied from 1 hour to a whopping 36 hours between spawns). This of course led to people camping the map waiting for the bosses to spawn because of the valuable items and cards they could get. Since I was in a competitive guild, we got most of our high level gear from breaking Bloody Branches on a daily basis (Holding castles in War of Emperium rewarded guilds with loot that included mass amounts of Bloody Branches), so camping the maps wasn't necessary for us. But we did it anyway, because the admin staff had the brilliant idea of enabling the PvP flag in every single one of those maps, in order to make boss-hunting "more fun, competetive, and rewarding." Naturally, we decided to invade the most popular maps in full PvP gear and go around the map demolishing every single party that was looking to hunt these boss monsters. One day, we ended up pissing off one of the GMs because she was in a group we wiped in one of these maps. So what does she do? She find the first person in our group she can get the name of, and abuses the hell out of her GM commands by killing him over and over again. Naturally, we all got pissed off, and we started up a massive shitstorm on the forums about abuse of powers, which got several members of our guild probated. After that we made it our personal mission to hunt every single member of the guild that GM was a part of (she was in a guild with 2 other GMs, which were just as insufferable as she was) on any boss-level map and just wipe them out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've taken up playing TTT recently, and though I'm really bad at it, it's not nearly as bad as people say. A medium-sized server with 1 detective and 2 terrorists (8-11 players) is generally the best, anything larger and it gets pretty unmanageable.

I have seen some WHY DID YOU RDM ME stuff but it's actually shot down pretty fast most of the time. There was a situation with three people standing around, and we were almost the only ones left: Myself (innocent), the detective, and one other guy, TerroristA. There was a fourth person, TerroristB, who was not around. TerroristA says "I bet it's TerroristB. I haven't seen them all round." Then there's a message: "TerrroristB has been moved to spectator for inactivity."
There was a very brief and awkward pause.
"Well, I guess that narrows it down."
Shot him in the head. Round won.

It's a pretty fun game and I've had much more trouble with people RDMing -- literally so, just opening fire on everyone every round, detectives shooting innocents at random, etc -- than with over-defensive "you didn't have PROOF" accusations. The worst I ever got was when I was hiding somewhere, saw two people run in one direction (one with an automatic weapon), heard a burst of rapid gunfire, then saw the guy with the automatic leave. Checked it out, found the other guy's body. Automatic guy comes back and I pop him in the head. Turns out, no surprise, he was a traitor. He got really mad about it and when I explained that I saw what happened, he loudly denied it. YOU DIDN'T SEE IT. He got upset about it but the server was either on my side or didn't care and my logic seemed to hold. I've never really gotten kicked or even threatened to be kicked for some of the logic leaps I've made.
It's great for headgames. Talk like a worried innocent and you'll allay a lot of suspicion. As a traitor I was the last man alive with the detective, but not all bodies were accounted for so he didn't know I was the only one left, and thus definitively the traitor. We met up in an open area and I said "hello? live check! Is anyone else out there? I'm out here with the detective, who else is there?" and it was convincing enough that the detective went from aiming his gun at me to looking around, at which point I easily cut him down. Also, opening fire on someone while saying IT'S THEM, THEY'RE SHOOTING ME is great if you can hide the body afterwards. Then people will think they just ran off and will keep an eye out for them the whole round.
This isn't really a griefing story I guess, I'm just saying the game mode's more stable than it might seem from the stories here, but like anything it really varies from server to server.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

UglyDucklett posted:

My dumb story:

I got admingibbed playing FISH the other day. FISH is a sandbox fishing game, you spawn a rod, hook and bait, combine them, and throw it out in the water. You can fish up some crazy stuff and shoot it with a "Sell Gun" for cash to buy real guns and a better rod to fish more cool stuff up. You can fish up almost any item from the HL2 universe, even random HL2 NPCs in either friendly or aggressive mode. Killing bad NPCs gives you more money, so you can buy more stuff. The beginner rod is an item you pick up and can throw around, The advanced rod is actually a SWEP, an equippable item like a pistol or bug bait.

I took to fishing up giant pieces of furniture with the advanced fishing rod and building a living space for myself, and fished up a rare item worth a great deal of money, the big TV. An admin and an annoyingly voiced fellow with a MLP name pipe up and start freaking out at me to sell it, but it's badass and it really completes my living space. I think as long as I have it, it can't spawn for anyone else either, so there's that. A bunch more players show up to gawk, and I accidentally hit one with My Enormous Rod (tm), I think it just pushed him into the water or did like 1 damage. No big deal We've all been accidentally doing it to each other since I started. Guy complains, admin blows me up and deletes all my stuff.

I guess you could say ":smug:Looks Like The Game Griefed You:smug:" but you shouldn't because it's getting annoying to hear it so often in this thread, so please don't.

Looks Like The Game Griefed You.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

victrix posted:

Spending your time on that game at all sounds like griefing yourself

TTT is an extremely masochistic game. The odds are you going to be innocent 70-90% of the time, which means running around like a paranoid headless chicken suspecting everyone around you of wanting to kill you in your sleep. Only once in a blue moon are you going to both 1) survive this horror movie 2) actually figure out who's traitoring because that requires witnessing and then having time to act on it and not get accused of being a T in turn.

Being a Traitor is so much more fun, it's like a multiplayer Hitman game and to hell with the rules when you're T anyway

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

and to hell with the rules when you're T anyway

I believe that people are being banned for "RDMing" while they are in the Terrorist role, which is baffling.

In Path of Exile (indie game, free, quite fun) there is an ability called Explosive Arrow. You shoot someone with it, and after a little while, the arrow explodes and deals damage in an area. You can stack up as many of these arrows as you want on a single enemy, and the duration on all of them will refresh. When the duration expires, all the arrows explode at once. The base explosion radius is 15, and the area of effect also increases by 2 for every arrow - for reference, melee range is about 5.

These arrows deal Fire damage. When you deal Fire damage, there is a chance that the enemy will become Ignited, which deals damage over time equal to 4/3rds of the damage dealt by the initial hit - which, since there are many stacks of Explosive Arrow on a target, results in a lot of damage. There is also a passive ability called Elemental Proliferation (radius 12), which spreads elemental effects - such as Ignited - to nearby enemies. Specifically, it spreads these effects to allies of the ignited unit, which is unfortunately a distinct difference.

And finally, there is an ability called Conversion Trap, which converts an enemy to your team for a short time. This 'short time' is long enough for a user to run ahead of their group, find a high-health enemy, pepper it with a large number of exploding arrows, and then throw a conversion trap. The group then unknowingly approaches this enemy, getting close enough to be instantly killed by the explosion. Those lagging behind who manage to avoid the initial explosion mindlessly run in to fight the friendly enemy and get themselves set on fire, killing them almost as quickly.

This is done in the Hardcore league. When you die, your character is no longer in the Hardcore league. There is video of this, but I cannot find it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Dreggon posted:

I believe that people are being banned for "RDMing" while they are in the Terrorist role, which is baffling.

In Path of Exile (indie game, free, quite fun) there is an ability called Explosive Arrow. You shoot someone with it, and after a little while, the arrow explodes and deals damage in an area. You can stack up as many of these arrows as you want on a single enemy, and the duration on all of them will refresh. When the duration expires, all the arrows explode at once. The base explosion radius is 15, and the area of effect also increases by 2 for every arrow - for reference, melee range is about 5.

These arrows deal Fire damage. When you deal Fire damage, there is a chance that the enemy will become Ignited, which deals damage over time equal to 4/3rds of the damage dealt by the initial hit - which, since there are many stacks of Explosive Arrow on a target, results in a lot of damage. There is also a passive ability called Elemental Proliferation (radius 12), which spreads elemental effects - such as Ignited - to nearby enemies. Specifically, it spreads these effects to allies of the ignited unit, which is unfortunately a distinct difference.

And finally, there is an ability called Conversion Trap, which converts an enemy to your team for a short time. This 'short time' is long enough for a user to run ahead of their group, find a high-health enemy, pepper it with a large number of exploding arrows, and then throw a conversion trap. The group then unknowingly approaches this enemy, getting close enough to be instantly killed by the explosion. Those lagging behind who manage to avoid the initial explosion mindlessly run in to fight the friendly enemy and get themselves set on fire, killing them almost as quickly.

This is done in the Hardcore league. When you die, your character is no longer in the Hardcore league. There is video of this, but I cannot find it.

I have a decently levelled EA character and some Conversion Trap gems lying around. Thanks for showing me how to kill a couple hours tonight in style!

Aug 24, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I have a decently levelled EA character and some Conversion Trap gems lying around. Thanks for showing me how to kill a couple hours tonight in style!

It's more than "a couple hours" from the perspective of the people being killed :buddy:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Dreggon posted:

The only possible thing I can think of is that they're calling for the ban and expecting you to defend yourself by saying "but I'm a terrorist!" and outing yourself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dreggon posted:

I find it funny someone earlier mentioned how they were followed by a clearly shifty character to some dead end room, so he popped the guy, and then got accused of RDMing. Same thing happened to me. I'm on TTT_subway and I go to iirc the kitchen area? It's a dead that goes nowhere in any case. I see a guy follow me the length of the one way hall that takes you there just to get to me and im hiding behind a drat fridge so as soon as he pops in, I pop his rear end. Guy freaks his poo poo calling RDM. I've certainly done my share of whining even when I was the Traitor, but I mean cmon.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hello Sailor posted:

The only possible thing I can think of is that they're calling for the ban and expecting you to defend yourself by saying "but I'm a terrorist!" and outing yourself.

Gmod players are not that clever.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
All this TTT chat made me decide to give it another go. Rocked up onto a server, decided to get warmed up by shooting in the head the first person who seemed to be taking the game too seriously: Game over, innocents win. Instantly banned from the server.

Welp.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Holistic Detective posted:

All this TTT chat made me decide to give it another go. Rocked up onto a server, decided to get warmed up by shooting in the head the first person who seemed to be taking the game too seriously: Game over, innocents win. Instantly banned from the server.

Welp.

Congratulations! You win!

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Hooray!

Seriously, didn't even get a chance to explain myself - I just got banned. :saddowns:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

TTT admins really dislike any sort of fun and will usually permaban you if aren't following their idiot guidelines to the letter, every single round.

Someone on a server discovered a physics bug which let you spin cars at stupid-fast speeds in spectate mode. He killed a guy who wandered into the coined "crash pit" and then they got permabanned. Usually in TTT, if you see an opportunity to liven the sometimes tedious rounds up with something wacky, you can forget about going on that server again.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's nice to see the idea of Random Deathmatch in a killing-based game remains at large.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Orv posted:

It's nice to see the idea of Random Deathmatch in a killing-based game remains at large.

What, *murder*? In MY murder mystery game? Sir I believe you are mistaken!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's a pretty common occurrence in TTT to walk in on two people having a shootout, with no context, and no warning. You have no idea who started it -- and thus who is (probably) the traitor -- but if the traitor wins he could easily turn on you as soon as the fight's over. Sometimes during the fight you'll catch stray rounds from either party if you're not careful. There's really no way of knowing sometimes, but a split second hesitation could mean your life.

So a week or so ago I was playing and I hear gunshots and see some guy run, escaping, into the room with me. A guy immediately behind him, chasing, runs in and shoots him once to finish him off. Without a word the guy then whips up to aim/look at me, gun still drawn, and so assuming as the pursuer he was the aggressor, and about to shoot me, I shoot him first. He's already hurt so he dies in one shot.
Well, I made a mistake.
The guy being chased was a terrorist, the guy I shot (as an innocent) was also innocent. This sort of thing happens a lot, and is a pretty fundamental part of the game.

But since this guy happened to be an admin I got slayed the next round. And the next, so I just disconnected. Should add I'd been killed similarly the round before, but I figured that was just part of the game at the time.

The game, at its core, is supposed to be about suspicion and misdirection. The traitors are supposed to confuse people, turn them on each other. As an innocent you're supposed to go on the best evidence you have, and a right choice will be rewarded, and a wrong choice will just have you playing into the hands of the traitors, doing their work for them. But so many have clamped down against rational thought and logical interpretation that they've made this kind of strict legislation about what you can and can't kill someone for. There's no room for thought. Hell, there's no such thing as "evidence" because you have to witness a murder to act. There's no misdirection. If an innocent ever kills another innocent, it's not a mistake, or a trick, or a choice made wrong. It's RDM or griefing or rule breaking.

Basically what it comes down to is that on a good server, people are laughing on the mic, having fun, and silly, audacious poo poo happens. On a bad server, you're greeted with a "THESE THINGS ARE NOT VALID REASONS TO KILL SOMEONE" list a mile long, a rule list that parallels any Jailbreak server, and admins who'd have Sherlock Holmes banned for lack of evidence.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

'griefing yourself' should autocorrect to 'a great idea' in this thread.

And then auto-probate for 24 hours.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I can see where it comes from. The game really does rely on everyone playing it properly. It's extremely easy for someone to screw up the entire game by just shooting everyone. Not to mention that being traitor is way more fun so it's frustrating when you lose your turn to someone loving around.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It sounds like a neat idea that has attracted a really terrible community that is poo poo at playing the game correctly -- which is pretty much the case for all of the mafia/werewolf type game communities I've ever seen, sadly. I'll never figure out why that sort of game style attracts so many people who are so lovely at playing it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dr_Amazing posted:

I can see where it comes from. The game really does rely on everyone playing it properly. It's extremely easy for someone to screw up the entire game by just shooting everyone. Not to mention that being traitor is way more fun so it's frustrating when you lose your turn to someone loving around.
It's pretty drat easy to tell a true RDM when you see it though. It's the kind of bored rear end in a top hat who rolls into a server spouting 4chan memes, yelling YOU MAD over the mic, and shooting everyone in sight.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vib Rib posted:

It's pretty drat easy to tell a true RDM when you see it though. It's the kind of bored rear end in a top hat who rolls into a server spouting 4chan memes, yelling YOU MAD over the mic, and shooting everyone in sight.

If the Karma system you guys mentioned works even half as well as it sounds like it does (and it sounds like it works like poo poo) true RDM fuckjobs would be a nonissue about 45 seconds into their rampage. There's no reason for the level of moderation you guys are reporting. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the ideal situation for people whose hobbies didn't include "alphabetizing the mental ilnesses I've self-diagnosed" would be no moderators or admins at all, just the karma system and a voteban plugin to give someone who's being a tryhard a 30 minute time-out. Moderators should not be needed at all.

I'm half tempted to put up just such a server and prominently display an admin contact email as a social experiment. I have the hardware and webspace for it all set up, the big stumbling block would be that I don't know how to set up a server like that on Linux and I already have a billion other projects on my agenda. If someone wanted to lower the cost of entry by providing a clear, step-by-step guide to setting it up it'd be way more likely to happen.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I'll never figure out why that sort of game style attracts so many people who are so lovely at playing it.

Everybody wants to be L.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

yaoi prophet posted:

Everybody wants to be L.

That's pretty much it, yeah.

TTT seems like such a fun concept to me, but everyone who plays it is so unbelievably awful.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
As people have said, I really hate the term "RDM" because they're using it completely wrong. They really need a term for "you killed me without fulfilling my arbitrary list of acceptable evidence and/or reliable eyewitnesses and are therefore a big meanie jerk".

But its true that people will refuse to kill a perp unless they directly see them murder and check to see that they weren't killing a traitor. My simple grief is just to follow a person around and aim at their head, especially if they are a detective. Some servers have an asinine house rule where they can't kill someone following them without first giving them three warnings to stop following them. Some will even demand that people type these warnings. You can just wait for them to stop and type the 3rd warning and pop them for an easy headshot. It infuriates people to go along with that rule only to get murdered on the third warning.

Although my personal favorite thing to do is to pick up an explosive barrel and chase people around with it. I'm literally being a walking hazard endangering everyone near me but no one will ever stop me because being a walking liability isn't traitorous by the game's rules. I had one round where I got Traitor and was chasing people around with a barrel as per usual. I chased a person past a detective, dropped the barrel by the detective, continued chasing the same person until he circled back to the detective and the barrel and I blew them both up. Ended up winning with the most obnoxiously obvious setup but I got away with it because I wasn't directly attacking anybody.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why isn't there a goon TTT server?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Because goons are all terrorists.

(And we'd be the biggest rules-lawyering spergs of all.)

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I would never play on a Goon-ran server for the simple reason that I only play TTT with goons to grief.

Aug 24, 2011

It really is almost enough to make me want to pick up GMOD, but when I think about what I'd be getting into, the appeal dies.

I would normally consider this logically intuitive, but I have to ask: Are Traitors actually allowed to kill people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dreggon posted:

I would normally consider this logically intuitive, but I have to ask: Are Traitors actually allowed to kill people?

That's the entire point of the game.

So based on everything else I've heard about it ... maybe, and it depends on the server?

• Locked thread