Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

invision posted:

e: How many of you ride faster than traffic on the freeway?
I always ride faster than traffic, and yesterday I got behind a HD coming home who was riding slower than traffic, and getting passed by vehicles was freaking me the gently caress out. I can't handle the sensation of cages rushing past me like that.

I'm always faster than the majority of traffic. Might be a couple cars faster but they are flying. My biggest fear is getting rear ended so I maintain a few mph over cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I always ride faster than traffic. A car's danger to you is in proportion to the relative velocity divided by the square of the distance (I made that up.) So languishing in close proximity to other vehicles is more dangerous than zipping past them. Plus if you keep relative velocity up you can usually be around and away from other vehicles before they can react (inevitably incorrectly) to your proximity.

In slightly less mathspeak a bike is always going to have lovely visibility in anything but the front quarter so moving faster than traffic keeps most of the threats where you can best see them. Not sure if I'd try that excuse to get out of a speeding ticket, though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I've been taught to keep a 'pillow of security' around myself as much a possible. If anything enters this area you need to get out.

In practice this means (on the highway anyway) speed == safety. When you're going a bit faster than the rest of the traffic you're keeping most of the danger behind you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I ride faster than traffic, but only until I make it into the gaps in traffic, then I chill in those gaps while watching my mirrors for faster traffic from the 2nd fastest lane.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I always stay faster than the flow of traffic so that I can focus most of my attention on what's ahead of me instead of behind me. Just check the mirrors every few seconds to make sure some speed demon isn't coming up my rear end (in which case I get the gently caress out of the way so he doesn't think I want to race).

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
How doable would it be for me to try to replace the spark plugs and adjust the valves on my '05 CBR F4i? I'm not an experienced mechanic, but I also don't know how much I trust the local shop, especially since they just changed owners. I feel relatively confident about the spark plugs, since friends of mine have done their own, but the valves seem daunting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ghost Cactus posted:

How doable would it be for me to try to replace the spark plugs and adjust the valves on my '05 CBR F4i? I'm not an experienced mechanic, but I also don't know how much I trust the local shop, especially since they just changed owners. I feel relatively confident about the spark plugs, since friends of mine have done their own, but the valves seem daunting.

The valve check isn't too much more difficult than doing spark plugs. If you're going to have to pull the cams to swap the shims, that's where you should have a torque wrench on hand. I'd try and find a walkthrough online, or read through the process in your repair manual. If you have any questions after that, post up. It's fairly straightforward, there are a few things to look out for that I can post up if you decide to do it.

I've also think I have the shim kit needed for your bike if you want to borrow it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How hard is it to replace this:

Are there any bearings that I'm going to gently caress up? Or is everything bolt on bolt off?

It looks like I'll need a new upper yoke/triple tree (however you want to call it) if I want to keep everything factory when going naked.

That, or I just drill some holes in my current yoke...

I'm going to try to plan this out as best as I can to avoid any no-ride-time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ziploc posted:

How hard is it to replace this:

Are there any bearings that I'm going to gently caress up? Or is everything bolt on bolt off?

It looks like I'll need a new upper yoke/triple tree (however you want to call it) if I want to keep everything factory when going naked.

That, or I just drill some holes in my current yoke...

I'm going to try to plan this out as best as I can to avoid any no-ride-time.

I think the SV runs security torx for the ignition mounts, so grab some of those. They might be the type of bolts where the head snaps off when you torque them down, so be prepared to have to drill them out also.

No bearings, although you might as well check and grease the steering head bearings while you have the upper triple off.

You also might need longer brake lines.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Z3n posted:

I think the SV runs security torx for the ignition mounts, so grab some of those. They might be the type of bolts where the head snaps off when you torque them down, so be prepared to have to drill them out also.

No bearings, although you might as well check and grease the steering head bearings while you have the upper triple off.

Hmm. Ok. Sounds like something I'm capable of. I really hate that they used a different upper triple for the two models. Otherwise it would be stupid to go naked. Oh well!

Z3n posted:

You also might need longer brake lines.

I doubt it. It will be the same triple as the one I have, just with mounting points for the clocks.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I've got an offer to trade my GSXR with a red Ducati 996 Biposto. I've always been a fan of the design, but I've never ridden one. I think I can live with the uncomfortableness, as I seldom ride long distances. Any opinions?

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Z3n posted:

The valve check isn't too much more difficult than doing spark plugs. If you're going to have to pull the cams to swap the shims, that's where you should have a torque wrench on hand. I'd try and find a walkthrough online, or read through the process in your repair manual. If you have any questions after that, post up. It's fairly straightforward, there are a few things to look out for that I can post up if you decide to do it.

I've also think I have the shim kit needed for your bike if you want to borrow it.

Thanks and thanks. I'll read up on it, and if I decide to try the valve check myself, I'll definitely post and ask for help.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Mathturbator posted:

I've got an offer to trade my GSXR with a red Ducati 996 Biposto. I've always been a fan of the design, but I've never ridden one. I think I can live with the uncomfortableness, as I seldom ride long distances. Any opinions?

Super common bike in trade for a ducati? Sign me up.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
What's the cutoff between "suck it up, you need the leverage" and "drat this kills my hand" for the resistance of the clutch lever? I've had this trouble to a lesser degree on other bikes too, but on my '91 Ninja 500 I'm getting a really sore hand really quickly on my clutch hand. In a trip of a mile I'm already shifting into neutral at each red light to shake my hand off. Is there some way to make the clutch lever easier to use without sacrificing raw clutching power?

Speaking of which, this is probably a dumb question based on bad habits from always driving automatic cars: is it generally a really bad thing to clutch off while cruising, and then go back into gear when I need to either change gears shortly, or am losing a little momentum? I would imagine this is a bad thing, but on an automatic car I was in the habit of, instead of maintaining a constant pressure on the gas pedal, holding for a bit to get up to speed, take my foot off and coast for half a minute, put my foot back on when I started dropping a few mph, etc. Am I right in thinking that I should have my hand loose on the clutch and just keep the throttle constant while riding until actually switching gears?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Speaking of which, this is probably a dumb question based on bad habits from always driving automatic cars: is it generally a really bad thing to clutch off while cruising, and then go back into gear when I need to either change gears shortly, or am losing a little momentum? I would imagine this is a bad thing, but on an automatic car I was in the habit of, instead of maintaining a constant pressure on the gas pedal, holding for a bit to get up to speed, take my foot off and coast for half a minute, put my foot back on when I started dropping a few mph, etc. Am I right in thinking that I should have my hand loose on the clutch and just keep the throttle constant while riding until actually switching gears?

When you do what you're talking about (in either a car or a bike) you're putting parts of your drivetrain under load and then off load, over and over. It's less of an issue in a car because of the mass involved (and an auto tranny sort of does this on its own) but it's not really good for it, you should be using maintenance throttle instead of on/off/on/off'ing it. On a bike this is going to end up in driveline lash (some bikes are worse than others) and potentially shifting the weight balance forward-aft around which can unsettle the bike. Remember that good riding (like good driving) should be as smooth and gentle as possible, finding the right throttle setting that matches the speed you want will be much smoother than fiddling with the clutch.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

What's the cutoff between "suck it up, you need the leverage" and "drat this kills my hand" for the resistance of the clutch lever? I've had this trouble to a lesser degree on other bikes too, but on my '91 Ninja 500 I'm getting a really sore hand really quickly on my clutch hand. In a trip of a mile I'm already shifting into neutral at each red light to shake my hand off. Is there some way to make the clutch lever easier to use without sacrificing raw clutching power?

Throttle control - I was taught to keep it steady. If you do group rides where the bikes are a few bike lengths apart on the freeway you can tell who can and can't keep a steady pace. A little annoying riding behind someone like that in the group because you end up having to keep slowing / speeding up with them to avoid getting too close or dropping too far behind and breaking the group up. I imagine that rolling off and on the throttle would also do the same thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mathturbator posted:

What year of GSX-R/milage, and the same on the Duc? I'd want to know that the maintenance has been done, you've got 6k/2? year belts on that bike so you gotta stay on top of them. If they sit for too long you gotta do the belts because they'll get start cracking where they get wrapped around the cam drive/crank.

Ziploc posted:

Hmm. Ok. Sounds like something I'm capable of. I really hate that they used a different upper triple for the two models. Otherwise it would be stupid to go naked. Oh well!

I doubt it. It will be the same triple as the one I have, just with mounting points for the clocks.

Sorry, I'm sick, didn't put 2 and 2 together.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Snowdens Secret posted:

When you do what you're talking about (in either a car or a bike) you're putting parts of your drivetrain under load and then off load, over and over. It's less of an issue in a car because of the mass involved (and an auto tranny sort of does this on its own) but it's not really good for it, you should be using maintenance throttle instead of on/off/on/off'ing it. On a bike this is going to end up in driveline lash (some bikes are worse than others) and potentially shifting the weight balance forward-aft around which can unsettle the bike. Remember that good riding (like good driving) should be as smooth and gentle as possible, finding the right throttle setting that matches the speed you want will be much smoother than fiddling with the clutch.

Yeah, I was thinking that was probably the case. I've been working at keeping it more even-throttle, so that'll be a skill to work on. Good to get it confirmed that I was doing it wrong before.

For the other half of the question though: does the stiffness of my clutch lever have an important role in the clutch working right, or if it's stiff enough to be uncomfortable to be squeezing it I should adjust its tension somewhere?

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Z3n posted:

What year of GSX-R/milage, and the same on the Duc? I'd want to know that the maintenance has been done, you've got 6k/2? year belts on that bike so you gotta stay on top of them. If they sit for too long you gotta do the belts because they'll get start cracking where they get wrapped around the cam drive/crank.

It's a 12.000-miles 2007 GSXR 750, and a 2001 Ducati 996 biposto, religiously maintained, don't know the mileage but probably around the same. We haven't talked price yet, but he's buying a new bike and don't care if he's trading in a GSXR or a Ducati. I'll just pay the difference on the trade in price.

I'm worried that the clutch is too heavy for my girly wrists (not a girl), or that the riding position is just too uncomfortable. I basically want it, just to have a Ducati, so...

In related news, he's buying a BMW HP2. OH. MY. GOD that's one sexy bike! Another friend rides one and it's absolutely delicious.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do it. Doitdoitdoit.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
How can I fix a stripped screw? I just came back after a 4 month vacation and my drain screw on my carb is not tight and gas is leaking. I guess it rattled out while by brother was riding it. Also, the screw is too stripped to tighten it (better yet get it out and replace it). Any ideas?

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Ribsauce posted:

How can I fix a stripped screw? I just came back after a 4 month vacation and my drain screw on my carb is not tight and gas is leaking. I guess it rattled out while by brother was riding it. Also, the screw is too stripped to tighten it (better yet get it out and replace it). Any ideas?

There are tools to remove stripped screws sold under different names i.e. EasyOut, Grabit

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you are having trouble starting it to back it out, if you can wedge a small flathead between the head of the screw and what it's threaded in to, you might be able to put enough pressure on it for the threads to bite enough to back out.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Mathturbator posted:

It's a 12.000-miles 2007 GSXR 750, and a 2001 Ducati 996 biposto, religiously maintained, don't know the mileage but probably around the same. We haven't talked price yet, but he's buying a new bike and don't care if he's trading in a GSXR or a Ducati. I'll just pay the difference on the trade in price.

I'm worried that the clutch is too heavy for my girly wrists (not a girl), or that the riding position is just too uncomfortable. I basically want it, just to have a Ducati, so...

In related news, he's buying a BMW HP2. OH. MY. GOD that's one sexy bike! Another friend rides one and it's absolutely delicious.

As much of a sucker as I am for Ducati, I'd say keep your 750 if only to have a reliable, cheap to maintain bike around :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mathturbator posted:

I cant fathom why you would trade an 07 GSXR 750, objectively the most desirable GSXR, for a 2001 Duc. At least make him pay a good amout to take the GSXR off your hands if you must do it

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mathturbator posted:

Go out and swap bikes for an extended test ride (at least 150 miles). You probably won't want the Duc any more after that. Also your GSX-R should be worth about 2k more than the Duc, so you should get cash on top if he wants to do a trade.

I have no idea why you would ever buy an HP2 except that you are totally gay for BMW/Opposed Twins. It's a "high performance" bike that's gonna get stomped by your GSX-R 750.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you one of those guys that instantly thinks "European = Better Than"?

Perhaps you should reexamine your stance.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
While these guys are making GBS threads all over it I'll point out that that Duc is one of something like the three most beautiful motorcycles ever made while the GSX-R looks like every other GSX-R and a million other ho-hum japbikes. Yes, the Duc will be a bigger pain to own, not as comfy and probably not even as fast. But look at the thing and then do your own cost/benefit. You can always keep your bike and offer him trade-in equivalent cash for his.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don't know why anyone would get a HP2 over a GSXR750 but I certainly understand wanting a 916 instead of a GSXR.

Is the GSXR the better bike? Yes. In basically every way.

But what a snooze fest. Blah blah blah, nothing but blender noise and patiently waiting for enough RPMs for the engine to do go fast stuff

You've had the GSXR for 12k miles. I don't see what you're losing by getting the 916.

It'll be uncomfortable (maybe, depending on your size), the clutch play shouldn't be too bad.

On the plus side, it'll sound like god smashing mountains when you open the throttle and you wont give a single gently caress about any of it's faults every single time you swing a leg over. It's just so much more theater and fun than your bike is. You sound interested and sound like you want it, and I say you wont be disappointed.

Disclaimer: It's absolutely slower than your GSXR

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I don't know why anyone would get a HP2 over a GSXR750 but I certainly understand wanting a 916 instead of a GSXR.

Is the GSXR the better bike? Yes. In basically every way.

But what a snooze fest. Blah blah blah, nothing but blender noise and patiently waiting for enough RPMs for the engine to do go fast stuff

You've had the GSXR for 12k miles. I don't see what you're losing by getting the 916.

It'll be uncomfortable (maybe, depending on your size), the clutch play shouldn't be too bad.

On the plus side, it'll sound like god smashing mountains when you open the throttle and you wont give a single gently caress about any of it's faults every single time you swing a leg over. It's just so much more theater and fun than your bike is. You sound interested and sound like you want it, and I say you wont be disappointed.

Disclaimer: It's absolutely slower than your GSXR

I think the real question is, do you want to ride the bike or just stare at it while it's in the garage? Because staring at them is great but when the bike rides like poo poo it robs a lot of the joy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The unflappable "SOUL!!!!!!" argument

You wouldnt understand with your precision japanese riding appliance

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The unflappable "SOUL!!!!!!" argument

You wouldnt understand with your precision japanese riding appliance

Soul ain't got poo poo on a new ride.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I ride a cheap japanese 600 but even I can understand the appeal, christ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

So can millions of Harley owners

Replace "freedom", "lone wolf", and "independence" with "soul", "symphony" and "art" in any generic harley rant, and you've got exactly what we're talking about.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

The appeal is why I snitch the keys to my friends ducatis and superbikes on a regular basis.

Which is like getting your choice of supermodels for one night only. Don't have to live with their poo poo, just enjoy the appeal, the absurd, and the rev limiter.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Except 916's are great bikes. You can say that maintenance is expensive, and that they are aggressive (uncomfortable) but really, what else is there to say about them that makes them bad? It's a 10 year old design, it's going to be slower than a 2007 bike, regardless. They are excellent bikes though. All choppers and most decked out pride Harleys are complete poo poo as far as bikes go. I don't see the comparison.

It's not all about PASSION AND SOUL. I think 916's aren't the pretty Ducatis. 999's and 1098's are the first ducs to really click for me. Big, powerful Vtwin engines are just more fun than inline fours.

There are tons of personal reasons why you might want a Ducati over a GSXR, or a GSXR over a Ducati, and none of them are wrong. It sounds like he wants to go for it and I don't see the downside, as long as he keeps in mind theres a maintenance cost and it wont make very many concessions for comfort.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its all the subjective crap. I personally wouldnt make the trade unless he kicked in a good amount of cash, as mentioned.

Objectively, the GSXR is the better bike, subjectively, either could be, depending on how you feel about the two bikes. Its when people start yammering on about sounds and symphonies and art, and the same regurgitated soul crap that it gets eyerolling.

The point I was making is that there is a (large) subset of Harley riders who have a big hard on for freedom of the road and lone wolf bullshit that has nothing to do with the bike, but gets projected onto it, and its the same thing.

I dont think the 916 or any Ducati is a straight up bad bike.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My Ninja expels sweet-smelling fumes. My 2000 SV650 (with fairly new 350mm Delkevic) expels normal-smelling fumes.

But my 2005 SV furiously emits an unpleasant odor, it's always done this. Is it because of the chopped Yoshimura?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd be worried about the sweet fumes too, do you have a headgasket leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
the Ninja does have a small valve head leak. I've kept my eye on the oil level and it hasn't gone downward since. :O