Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Abu Dave posted:

My 3DS hinge slides back and forth is that what it's supposed to do or is it starting to break?

My New 3DS does this and it sucks, but it did it right out of the box. The hinge also doesn't lock properly so the top screen has wiggle room up and down and side to side. It's not supposed to do this but it hasn't gotten any worse. I wouldn't worry about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The running theory is they loosened it up to avoid the hinge cracking issues of the DS and DS lite

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The 3DS feels pretty not-great but I guess that's what you have to do to sell it for $200.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can get a vita with a game for $200 and vitas are much nicer hardware

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Awesome! posted:

but what about the memory card

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the new model comes with a gig of memory built in. enough for saves at least

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The running theory is they loosened it up to avoid the hinge cracking issues of the DS and DS lite

Not quite, I've messed with the hinges of other New 3DSes and even my secondary one and all of them have been a lot tighter than my initial New 3DS; some just seem to be extra floppy.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

some 3ds hinges are just tighter than others. out of 3 xls between me and my friends mine has a very noticeably tighter hinge than the others

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Awesome! posted:

Yeah but doesn't nintendo want/need to turn a profit on actual hardware sales while Sony doesn't care? I still don't know if the 3d was worth whatever sacrifices they decided to make, most of the time it's fine but every now and then I notice the screen-door effect on the amazingly low-res screen and then I can't unsee it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awesome! posted:

The Vita's also pretty much dead at this point. Turns out leading with ports and niche titles (albeit probably good ones) instead of solid exclusives doesn't get mass-market appeal. It is nice hardware though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its cool to have both a 3ds and a vita!

i bought the 3ds first

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Am I in the minority in not being bothered by the low-res screen? Yeah, it would be nice if it was sharper but I haven't encountered any games where the low resolution is a problem, or even particularly noticeable, and the 3D effect is more than worth the tradeoff.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The rear end Stooge posted:

Am I in the minority in not being bothered by the low-res screen? Yeah, it would be nice if it was sharper but I haven't encountered any games where the low resolution is a problem, or even particularly noticeable, and the 3D effect is more than worth the tradeoff.

It isn't bad, and the new 3DS has impressed me a lot particularly with the 3D tracking, but it does pale in comparison to modern smartphones which are the other big portable screen people use constantly.

Awesome! posted:

i bought the 3ds first

The appeal is almost mutually exclusive and I have enjoyed owning and playing a bunch of games on both. Video games are great.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It only really bothers me with more detail oriented games like Monster Hunter or Xenoblade. Games with simple graphics like Link Between Worlds look nice but I'd choose higher res over 3D any day.

Playing Smash Wii U after the 3DS one was like putting glasses on for the first time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mobile phones have higher resolution but games built to that higher resolution tend to have tweeny animation and look very Flash-like. I'm talking about 2D games of course, but you don't really see a TON of 3DS-caliber 3D games on iOS outside of Square's efforts (some of which are just ports). You bring up Xenoblade and the original Xenoblade I thought benefited from being a Wii-generation title because they didn't have to do it in HD, they didn't have to scale up their studio to meet that demand. Similarly I think that most companies would lose their shirt if they tried to make a game as high-effort as a 3DS title for iOS.

Maybe the low resolution is a blessing in disguise in that these companies can survive making high-quality games on lower budgets maybe?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awesome! posted:

i bought the 3ds first

I never said the Vita was bad, just that it never really got the major exclusives it sorely needed to get its legs up under it in the mainstream market.

I've never had issues with it either, it's always looked fine to me.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's been one of the things putting me off from monster hunter, everything just looks so blurry and terrible.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It really does depend on the game, though most games made for the system come out looking fine, ports tend to be a lot more hit or miss. Monster Hunter 3, for example, looks pretty drat blurry and bad, but Monster Hunter 4 looks a lot better because it was made with the 3DS in mind, so a bunch of tweaks like text size, camera distance from the PC, arena size, texture resolution and the monsters themselves are all built to work with the 3DS's resolution, while MH3 was initially built for the PSP so those considerations went to the higher resolution machine because that's what it was released for. Same deal with Xenoblade, the environments you explore and the camera you control are very obviously designed for another machine, because they don't work so well with the tiny 3DS resolution.

Ironically, it works great with N64 ports, as those games worked with even harsher limitations, so they translate really well to the 3DS.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't like your avatar

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It doesn't bug me since Nintendo handhelds are the only devices I've done a significant amount of mobile gaming on.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just a heads up but do not get the recently re-released DSTWO cards that are now available. I have been fighting mine trying to figure out why it was a piece of poo poo and thanks to gbatemp it has pretty much been figured out that the cards are completely broken. No game is remotely playable due to extremely low SD access time and the card is pretty much useless. Hopefully a firmware update comes out to address this problem but there are a few confirmations outside of myself now with the card and it being a turd.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

gently caress this thread. Opened it up, realized there was a new 3DS and a game I couldn't play on my XL; traded in the XL for a New 3DS and Xenoblade.

Anyways, is there a spoiler free tips section for this loving game?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Comrade Flynn posted:

gently caress this thread. Opened it up, realized there was a new 3DS and a game I couldn't play on my XL; traded in the XL for a New 3DS and Xenoblade.

Anyways, is there a spoiler free tips section for this loving game?

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Xenoblade_Chronicles

the most important thing is to not worry about doing sidequests, and you get overlevelled as hell if you turn them all in, anyway. quests from named NPCs are usually worth doing, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gems help a lot. Make sure you move around in battle to get the extra effects from your attacks like Back Slash and Slit Edge. Don't go all out immediately, let Reyn build up some aggro against tougher enemies. Pick up every sidequest you see, but don't feel the need to go out of your way to complete them if you want to continue the story. Levels are important and help, but a good setup and equipment can be even better. If you select the middle Art on your bar, your Talent Art, and press up or down, you can access not only the Run and Chain Attack commands, but also the ability to pull enemies that are far away/flying by throwing a rock at them, allowing you to fight enemies one at a time if they're in a group. There are no penalties for dying. Break and Topple are great. Listen to and learn what your friends are shouting in combat, once you get used to the battle system it's very helpful to determine the pace of the battle and how you should time your attacks. Once you get more party members, experiment with team compositions, and don't feel the need to stick to a tank/healer/dps setup. Don't feel as if you should always control Shulk, the others are fun to play as as well.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
does anyone know why the eshop would be doing this?

I hadn't used it for a while and then yesterday I updated the firmware and now this. it freezes after I press ok and the "press the home button" screen comes up. had another firmware update today but its still doing it (9.9 26E I think)

e: most of the googling I've done would suggest its usually an error you get while downloading something

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cake Attack posted:

i don't like your avatar

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Terper posted:

Gems help a lot. Make sure you move around in battle to get the extra effects from your attacks like Back Slash and Slit Edge. Don't go all out immediately, let Reyn build up some aggro against tougher enemies. Pick up every sidequest you see, but don't feel the need to go out of your way to complete them if you want to continue the story. Levels are important and help, but a good setup and equipment can be even better. If you select the middle Art on your bar, your Talent Art, and press up or down, you can access not only the Run and Chain Attack commands, but also the ability to pull enemies that are far away/flying by throwing a rock at them, allowing you to fight enemies one at a time if they're in a group. There are no penalties for dying. Break and Topple are great. Listen to and learn what your friends are shouting in combat, once you get used to the battle system it's very helpful to determine the pace of the battle and how you should time your attacks. Once you get more party members, experiment with team compositions, and don't feel the need to stick to a tank/healer/dps setup. Don't feel as if you should always control Shulk, the others are fun to play as as well.

So for the sidequests, just pick a poo poo ton up and assume I'll do some on the way to doing the main quests?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, exactly.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Comrade Flynn posted:

So for the sidequests, just pick a poo poo ton up and assume I'll do some on the way to doing the main quests?

Basically! Just don't sweat it if you can't complete them all.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
But if you want to finish the collectapedia you need to be level 99 to repeatedly fight level 99+ bosses for their one drop that you need 3 of in order to trade to finish off the collectapedia.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The latest system update apparently made my microSD unreadable for the New 3DS. :negative:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 has been announced for 3DS. You will never play it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

No I absolutely agree. At least when it comes to handhelds, if you have good games everything else is secondary. I can go back to the GBA and DS (outside of some 3D games) easily year after year.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

quote:

- If you want a new outfit for a certain character (your seventh teammate) so he or she doesn't look loving ridiculous, fixing Colony 6's Commerce is the way to get it. A pink Nopon merchant will arrive when you max it out, and she'll sell what you need. You'll know what I'm talking about about 2/3rds the way through the game, trust me.

This is arguably the best advice on that page

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://gonintendo.com/stories/238493-senran-kagura-writer-involved-with-fire-emblem-fates-storyline

SK writer collaborated on FE:Fates script

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

majormonotone posted:

This is arguably the best advice on that page

Why would you want 7 to not look "absolutely ridiculous"?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yo major Xenoblade spoilers don't click if you haven't got the seventh party member.

Anime robot Fiora owns and you should feel bad for shaming her looks.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mabels big day posted:

Why would you want 7 to not look "absolutely ridiculous"?

Agreed. Hell I'm not even sure how you could make anybody not look ridiculous by the endgame.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yo major Xenoblade spoilers don't click if you haven't got the seventh party member.

Just call her Seven like everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hope you buy fire emblem mate