Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

FirstAidKite posted:

Is it? Maybe it's because the stuff I know about d&d basically involves 4e and a tiny bit of 3.5e but his work didn't come across as remaking d&d, intentionally or otherwise.

Even if so, perception matter more than substance in marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Finally got around to looking through the backerkit for the new Root expansion, and apparently there's neoprene maps. Can anyone with more plays of the game tell me if these would just be a "neat" option, or if they'd be a really useful thing to have?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Douche Phoenix posted:

Finally got around to looking through the backerkit for the new Root expansion, and apparently there's neoprene maps. Can anyone with more plays of the game tell me if these would just be a "neat" option, or if they'd be a really useful thing to have?

As a Root dev, I'd call them neat, not game-changing.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Caedar posted:

As a Root dev, I'd call them neat, not game-changing.

You're a Root dev? :eyepop:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kinkouin posted:

You're a Root dev? :eyepop:

Yes, didn’t you see him in the Root directory?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Jedit posted:

Yes, didn’t you see him in the Root directory?

Please euthanize me at your first convenience. Thanks.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So yesterday I got an envelope addressing me as a Muscle Magician , inside I found my order of Lifts: Ultimate Pump edition.

Now I just have to wait for university to start back up to see if I can get a group going. Figured I'd donate a copy to the school gaming section to spread the word about the Sultan of Swole.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I got my copy yesterday, too!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Hooray! Deliveries for everyone!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So they've unlocked Roll20 support for 2nd Ed Fiasco as a stretch goal. Every backer gets it for free.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 16, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yvonmukluk posted:

So they've unlocked Roll20 support for 2nd Ed Fiasco as a stretch goal. Every backer gets it for free.

What's roll 20?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

silvergoose posted:

What's roll 20?

https://www.roll20.net/

I've not used it myself, but a lot of people do.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Their campaign page should probably have a section on stretch goals if they're doing them. I had to search the updates for details :negative:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Yvonmukluk posted:

https://www.roll20.net/

I've not used it myself, but a lot of people do.

Roll20 is really great if your group isn't geographically close together, or you have some other limiting factors. My regular group just recently switched to it after one of our members had a baby and it made it hard for him to get out of the house and to a game for several hours at a time. Nothing beats being in person around the same table, but Roll20 is a really great substitute if that isn't possible.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

After my groups main GM moved away, roll20 was a great way to keep things going. I don't feel it is great replacement from playing in person but as everyone I game with has lives and families now sometimes you take what you can get.

The rise in playing online has been a great thing for the hobby for sure.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Didn't roll20 have a major security breach a few months ago?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

FirstAidKite posted:

Didn't roll20 have a major security breach a few months ago?

Yeah, they had a breach back in February, but I don't know how major I'd consider it in the grand scheme of things:

https://blog.roll20.net/post/186963124325/conclusion-of-2018-data-breach-investigation

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agrias120 posted:

Yeah, they had a breach back in February, but I don't know how major I'd consider it in the grand scheme of things:

https://blog.roll20.net/post/186963124325/conclusion-of-2018-data-breach-investigation

It was about as major as was possible for them, but their policy is to not hold on to much sensitive stuff and their practices were decent (bcrypt), so without knowing how the attacker compromised them it’s hard to say how bad a sign it is. If you weren’t reusing passwords, it was likely harmless to you, and if you were reusing passwords then the password in question probably already leaked somewhere else before.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

It was about as major as was possible for them, but their policy is to not hold on to much sensitive stuff and their practices were decent (bcrypt), so without knowing how the attacker compromised them it’s hard to say how bad a sign it is.

Sounds like it could be a... :parrot:fiasco:parrot:

:frogc00l:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ettin posted:

Sounds like it could be a... :parrot:fiasco:parrot:

:frogc00l:

Wow a fiasco scenario around social engineering would probably work really well.

Or one involving crypto hmm

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tempesttome/cryptic-explorers

Cryptic Explorers, an asymmetrical game about raiding the realms of death, is back again after two previous tries.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Cat Face Joe posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tempesttome/cryptic-explorers

Cryptic Explorers, an asymmetrical game about raiding the realms of death, is back again after two previous tries.

Was just about to come here to promote this.

I did most of the card artwork and the cover, so I'm obviously invested in this one succeeding. Still impressed with the campaign so far. I think we came back with a more solid gameplan.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Friends Are Evil posted:

Was just about to come here to promote this.

I did most of the card artwork and the cover, so I'm obviously invested in this one succeeding. Still impressed with the campaign so far. I think we came back with a more solid gameplan.
I am tempted, but the lack of color - while a neat aesthetic choice - seems like it could be a hindrance for playability.

Your art looks rad, tho.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm sorry to say this but while the art itself is most definitely good, the game on a whole just hurts my eyes to look at

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, I got incredible visual fatigue from the starkly contrasted black/white aesthetic really quickly. I understand the aesthetic choice but it's not easy on the eyes or the brain.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The much-troubled Kickstarter for the English translation of Aquelarre hit another snag: the EU/rest of world fulfillment hasn't begun because a bunch of the books they shipped to their EU fulfillment centre has gone missing. Also, they confessed to straight-up forgetting to implement a stretch goal. (Just a silk bookmark rather than anything majorly major, but it doesn't look good.)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just sent out the PDFs for Americana. We're still working on character sheets but they should be with everyone shortly.

Should have print copies ready as soon as we get the proofing step done. Thanks a bunch everyone.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just sent out the PDFs for Americana. We're still working on character sheets but they should be with everyone shortly.

Should have print copies ready as soon as we get the proofing step done. Thanks a bunch everyone.

Congrats!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can someone explain to me why people put updates in KS comments instead of like, using the updates system? I was wondering what happened to Fragged Regions and it turns out that he had issues with the pledge manager and is also going on vacation. It just seemed weird to put that update in the comments.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'll do mini-updates in the comments when I don't have enough to do a global update and I don't want to spam people, but only using the comments is pretty weird and bad.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

nesbit37 posted:

I'll do mini-updates in the comments when I don't have enough to do a global update and I don't want to spam people, but only using the comments is pretty weird and bad.

They don't only use comments, but the last update about a month ago was them inviting people to join a livestream of the final countdown. I just thought it was weird that there was no post Kickstarter follow up with a roadmap and next steps and such, so I checked the comments and there was stuff! Which is bad communications.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's a lot of fun when they only post updates to their own forums, too.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I remember one time when some dude was like "what do you mean I'm not communicating enough? I post constantly about progress on my Twitter." as if that were (a) a fact he had ever communicated to his backers or (b) a reasonable communication strategy.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bieeanshee posted:

It's a lot of fun when they only post updates to their own forums, too.

Maybe I'm just pickier about who I back these days but I feel like people have finally started to figure out that's a bad move.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Is it even difficult to post a capital-U update? The way some creators gripe about it you'd think you had to hand-code all the HTML in it or something.

I can see creators wanting to stick to no more than one update a month (or fortnight, or week) to avoid spamming people and to maximise the chance that they can say something substantive. I think there's gently caress all excuse for not updating at least monthly though.

Wah wah, it's haaaaard, it's wooooork, it's distracting me from completing the project - nope, not excuses. If it really represents that much work to write an update, work smarter and not harder - make a list or a spreadsheet or a pretty table or something of all the tasks you need to complete to finish the project. When you finish a task or run into an unexpected delay or complication, update the list accordingly as part of your workflow.

You should be doing something like this anyway as part of the process of project management and making sure everything gets done, and whilst it might take a bit of work to come up with the initial list, keeping it up to date is a matter of seconds. Then come the end of the month, bingo bango kabongo, you can post a backer-facing version of the list and there's your update; take five minutes to add any additional commentary or reassurance that you think is merited and boom, done.

I suspect the reason most projects don't do this is that it risks exposing the fact that you've spent a month not doing any work on the project, should that happen. But if you want to be able to work at your own slow and steady pace on a project without a bunch of financial backers cracking the whip on you, I would implore you not to use Kickstarter - it's a terrible platform for that. Backers, not unreasonably, tend to assume that you're making fulfilling the project your top priority. They'll forgive you prioritising a few things above the project, like the health and well-being of your family or your personal physical survival. They won't forgive you if it becomes apparent that their project has ended up drifting down your priority list next to other work. (Look at the shenanigans involved in concealing GMS' contributions to Modiphius' Trek RPG, because of the number of people who won't buy stuff he's touched due to Far West. Can't even blame the Far West backers for overreacting there - if someone took my money and didn't deliver on it, I'd want to avoid giving them additional support too.)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

TBH A lot of the time, especially later in the project, there just isn't anything to say, even if you're working and you feel a little silly posting an update to say "Still working, I guess".

Near the end of Americana, all that was happening was a lot of layout tweaking, editing and waiting on art from the artist, and we didn't want to post every single bit of art publicly before the game was out, so there was just a couple months of work that needs to be done that isn't really very interesting and I felt bad for sending 500 people an email that says "Doing the same thing we were doing last month. Yup." I still sent them, cause I have a chronic anxiety about being seen as lazy or having absconded from the project, but I can see other creators figuring no one really wants "Update 48: Still waiting for more art to be finished, we also made some of the text boxes 10 px bigger and fixed all the times I called them Ham Burgers"

That said it seems almost disingenuous to not post any negative/neutral major updates or problems using the update feature. I don't think its because the creators ignored their responsibilities, mind, I think its pure fear of the reaction they'll get. Again on my last project we had a pretty bad Real Life event slap a month and a half onto our timeline, and I waffled on posting the update for that partially because I was still (pointlessly) hopeful we'd right the ship and hit the original deadline, but also because I didn't want people to roll their eyes and think "yet another failed Kickstarter" which is objectively silly, and again, we posted the update and people were super chill and nice about it. Using comments seems like a sneaky way to have your cake and eat it - you get to say you're keeping everyone in the loop, without actually having to deal with however many people having concrete knowledge of your issues or w/e

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I posted some negative stuff when it happened in the Bee Lives campaign, and had no negative comments (in fact some positive ones). The only update I had negative response to was when I announced the final shipping costs, which were slightly higher for the USA than I had hoped they would be. A lot of the complaints, and there were not many, came from people who apparently didn't read what I listed as the estimated shipping price to begin with from what I could tell. People just want to know stuff, and they don't want to be spammed. It's a balance.

Example: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/bee-lives-we-will-only-know-summer/posts/2568516

Warthur
May 2, 2004

From a backer perspective:

a) 1 e-mail a month really isn't enough to constitute spam, even for someone like me who's backed an embarrassing number of projects. I wouldn't worry about spamming because if someone really kicks up a fuss about 1 e-mail a month being too frequent, chances are they're just looking for something to complain about. Also don't forget that what's boring day-to-day drudgery for you can be an exciting insight into the production process for backers; generally, the more niche details I get shown, the more impression I get that the project is being open and transparent with me, and when that happens not only do my worries get soothed, but I'm markedly more likely to speak out in your defence if I notice other backers get pissy, especially if you've helped me understand why whatever it is that is taking a while is taking a while.

b) In terms of getting bad news, it ALWAYS looks better if you give the news as soon as it's reasonably possible than if backers have to wait for ages before you finally give them the news.

It just plain looks more professional if you say "heads up, I know I said 5 updates ago that I expected that the balloons will be shipping by the end of this month, but it looks like that won't be happening" than if you say "Oh, hey, I know you were expecting the balloons to ship a couple months ago but there's been a problem". The former approach gives the impression not just of honesty, but of professionalism and being on the ball enough to recognise when you're going to miss a target, and I think most people worth listening to will accept that.

The latter always looks more avoidant, usually because it is avoidant, and that tends to make the excuses ring a little more hollow. ("If your dog ate the balloons and you knew that a month ago, why did it take you that long to level with us?") It's impossible for a backer to know under those circumstances whether you actually spent that time trying to right the ship, or whether you just spent the time trying to invent a plausible excuse for some other problem you don't want to let us in on. The less delay there is between a problem becoming apparent and a problem being reported to backers, the more it looks like a genuine emergency happened and the less it looks like you're avoiding us.

Avoiding the appearance of avoidant behaviour is crucial with backers because people often assume that if you are afraid to talk to them, it's because the truth of the situation would be something that they have good reason to get mad over. See how people eventually stopped caring about GMS's reported health problems, because he complained of the crud so often to his Far West backers it eventually seemed like the root cause of of his symptoms must be an allergy to working on the project.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You're absolutely correct, and I'm not trying to say otherwise. Open communication has always been my policy where possible, and backers have been kind and happy to hear what we have to say when we post, I only mean to say that, at least from my perspective, the issue was never spending a month doing nothing or that the updates took too much work, it was always either my own (inaccurate, proven untrue and something I objectively knew to be false) worries about failing people's (imaginary, invented by me) expectations, or the slightly less mental illnessy view of some work just being boring. That last one has a fair bit to back it up too - when we did post about edits, layout and other "boring" stuff, we would get markably fewer likes, comments, interactions in general vs the big cool stuff like artwork.

I shouldn't conflate the two kinds of updates here tho - it is imperative, regardless of hangups, for creators to keep people in the loop with regards to problems, delays and other hiccups and be clear and honest about how that changes the projects timeline or end result, I agree with that completely. All I mean to say is that it's not too wild to imagine why someone would leave a month or two go by without a capital U-update, provided they're still within the deadline window and have been otherwise open with what's happening, and it doesn't signal to me (as someone who backs a ton of stuff and has run a bunch too) that the creator is doing nothing all month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Fair enough and a reasonable way to do it. I take the point about updates being much less necessary when you're in the estimate window still; I keep track of all the crowdfunding projects I've backed on a spreadsheet and check it each month, and projects which are still a) within their estimate window or b) within a plausible, believable revised window which they subsequently put out get waaay less scrutiny than projects which are outside of their release window and haven't put out a clear, unambiguous roadmap from where they are to completion. For those projects, if there's been a substantive update in the last month or so, I'm much less worried, whereas if we've been in radio silence for a bit I get antsy.