Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Come back to him in ten years and it's going to be the same answers except c->p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Well I feel foolish!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I'd gladly park in the Outfart-Infarto

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nenonen posted:

Come back to him in ten years and it's going to be the same answers except c->p

And then he tried that with butter and everything changed again.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

(This is why we use phonemic spelling in civilized tongues. Baanan/banaan is unambiguous so you can't make the pun. And not making puns is skittrevligt.)

From a YouTube video about trains

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

why do they call it infart when you in fart the cars of out ut fart the carts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

for fucks sake posted:

From a YouTube video about trains

fun fact: swedish tvär means "through", danish tvær means annoyed, while danish tværs means "straight through" (as does german quer), but på tværs means "oppositional", and finally in english queer means "crooked". afaik they all come from the same stem, so if youre queer youre also straight, and if youre straight youre crooked. alright im through, no opposition intended

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Carthag Tuek posted:

fun fact: swedish tvär means "through", danish tvær means annoyed, while danish tværs means "straight through" (as does german quer), but på tværs means "oppositional", and finally in english queer means "crooked". afaik they all come from the same stem, so if youre queer youre also straight, and if youre straight youre crooked. alright im through, no opposition intended

They're very beautiful languages

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Data Graham posted:

e: lol I wonder if anyone but a Harvard grad has ever heard more than the first few notes of the song
It featured in an anime I translated not too long ago. The lyrics are actually quite sweet.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Carthag Tuek posted:

All those things mean at an angle, oblique, diagonally, not along the grain, not going with the flow, in another direction, deviant, etc. Even when it translates as straight through, it actually means perpendicular to the plane. Dutch has 'dwars'. You can translate dwars as oppositional, but it implies a 90 degree angle, instead of sorta 180 degrees in the latter, blocking rather than confronting. In the same way being dwars means annoyed or mopey, but it's with an obstructionist twist.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Roybattyforever/status/1555050022693134338

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Flipperwaldt posted:

All those things mean at an angle, oblique, diagonally, not along the grain, not going with the flow, in another direction, deviant, etc. Even when it translates as straight through, it actually means perpendicular to the plane. Dutch has 'dwars'. You can translate dwars as oppositional, but it implies a 90 degree angle, instead of sorta 180 degrees in the latter, blocking rather than confronting. In the same way being dwars means annoyed or mopey, but it's with an obstructionist twist.

oh yeah! i didnt know dwars, but yeah when i wrote "oppositional" i basically meant "intentionally disagreeable". also "cross" in english means annoyed, but is obviously a completely different word. maybe a calque?

anyway i always thought of it as more of a 45° angle, like through the middle of a room

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh yeah! i didnt know dwars, but yeah when i wrote "oppositional" i basically meant "intentionally disagreeable". also "cross" in english means annoyed, but is obviously a completely different word. maybe a calque?

anyway i always thought of it as more of a 45° angle, like through the middle of a room

It's fallen out of usage but "cross-grained" used to be a term for people who were obstinate, troublesome or awkward

E: ok, so, cross as in "angry" does come from "cross" as in "peevish", which is from "across", which comes from "cross" as in the thing Jesus got nailed to, which comes from the Latin "crux".

"Thwart", however, as in "thwarting my plans", looks to be descended from one of the Scandinavian ones you've been talking about.

Phy has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Aug 5, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phy posted:

It's fallen out of usage but "cross-grained" used to be a term for people who were obstinate, troublesome or awkward

E: ok, so, cross as in "angry" does come from "cross" as in "peevish", which is from "across", which comes from "cross" as in the thing Jesus got nailed to, which comes from the Latin "crux".

"Thwart", however, as in "thwarting my plans", looks to be descended from one of the Scandinavian ones you've been talking about.

i wonder where the "grain" part came from. sounds to me like a product thats not working as intended because the grains are crossed (maybe perpendicular?)

im thinking paper. if its too cheaply made it can be grainy in the wrong way & your quill or fountain pen will hit a snag/grain and welp that fucks up the whole sheet

e: thwart makes sense when i hear it, but i wouldnt have guessed it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The grain is the orientation of fibers in wood. So "against the grain" means to work wood in a fashion wherein the fibers are prone to splitting or tearing out. Generally it is desirable to work "with the grain" which means to work it such that you are not pulling fibers away from the bulk of the board. It thus forms an allegory for conformity.

You can usually feel it if you run your hand over unfinished wood, one direction it will be coarse and prone to giving you splinters, the other the fibers will flatten under your fingers. Like petting a dog front to back or back to front.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Aug 5, 2022

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

SLOSifl posted:

Not sure what the original name was in English but my favorite track is (translated) Fuckface in the Rain

In English it's "Fool in the Rain," and now I desperately need to know what language you speak.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/5UZjnw8.mp4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OwlFancier posted:

The grain is the orientation of fibers in wood. So "against the grain" means to work wood in a fashion wherein the fibers are prone to splitting or tearing out. Generally it is desirable to work "with the grain" which means to work it such that you are not pulling fibers away from the bulk of the board. It thus forms an allegory for conformity.

You can usually feel it if you run your hand over unfinished wood, one direction it will be coarse and prone to giving you splinters, the other the fibers will flatten under your fingers. Like petting a dog front to back or back to front.

fuckin wood, of course. thanks lol

we say "go/rub/saw with/against the veins" in wood, which i think you can maybe also say in english but you cant say grain in danish

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah you can but you get probed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Now THAT is a good dog

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How do you say dog in Danish? Probably something crazy like hund, lmao, just imagine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Paladinus posted:

How do you say dog in Danish? Probably something crazy like hund, lmao, just imagine.

its actually køter

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm a page late but vittles is pronounced that way because it came to english from a French word for the same thing which similarly lacked a C, and for a long time it was probably spelled vitales or vittals or whatever. But it then had the contemporary spelling standardised based on the Latin root word victualis, by the same nerds who hosed up a whole bunch of other words with silent letters and poo poo that were meant to make more obvious their connection back to the Latin/Greek roots. These are the shitbags that we have to thank for stuff like the silent B in debt and doubt, or the C in scissors and scythe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No one knows the origins of the word "dog".

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ultrafilter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH64dlgyydM

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bike tory posted:

I'm a page late but vittles is pronounced that way because it came to english from a French word for the same thing which similarly lacked a C, and for a long time it was probably spelled vitales or vittals or whatever. But it then had the contemporary spelling standardised based on the Latin root word victualis, by the same nerds who hosed up a whole bunch of other words with silent letters and poo poo that were meant to make more obvious their connection back to the Latin/Greek roots. These are the shitbags that we have to thank for stuff like the silent B in debt and doubt, or the C in scissors and scythe.

The c in scythe is because it's cool

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Or most super basic words like that. PIE is a guessing game to a big extent so we will never know which guy made up the word penis

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

freeedr posted:

Or most super basic words like that. PIE is a guessing game to a big extent so we will never know which guy made up the word penis

?
It was me. I don’t like to brag about it though.
You're welcome!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If I invented it there would be at least twelve letters

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Soul Dentist posted:

If I invented it there would be at least twelve letters

The Hummer of words, eh?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh man it would have to invent letters to really compensate

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Give that kid all the corn

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/drajendragon/status/1555392085729083392?t=X59OmgDOtSDkYKfqaTJyHw&s=19

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

https://youtu.be/KJFp272w9u8

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

freeedr posted:

If you are wrong enough often enough people stop bothering to correct you. This is a life hack I have learned

That's literally how language works.

See also: "literally", which doesn't literally mean "literally" any more.

Dolduck
Oct 15, 2021
Chiming in to say the danish tværs also means abeam, as in perpendicular to the direction of travel

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Crain posted:

And then he tried that with butter and everything changed again.

That's crazy. The first one I ever saw had butter in it. But it was going in opposite the usual direction.

At least it took place in the kitchen.

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Aug 6, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/weirdlilguys/status/1555718044395225088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Aaron earned and Iron Urn.