Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Someone dug up an old sexual assault claim on Trump:

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/exclusive-inside-the-donald-trump-sexual-assault-lawsuit/

quote:

The lawsuit was filed by Jill Harth who then went by Jill Harth Houraney on April 25, 1997. Harth, who was in her early 30’s at the time, alleged that Trump engaged in hostile and offensive sexual behavior towards her from 1992 to 1997 including “groping” her under her dress on several occasions, “forcibly” moving her to his daughter’s bedroom in an attempt to have sex with her, and repeatedly, aggressively and inappropriately propositioning her for sex. She called it “sexually abusive” and LawNewz.com spoke to her in an exclusive interview...

...LawNewz.com spoke briefly to Jill Harth in an interview last week. Harth wouldn’t’ discuss the settlement or much about either lawsuit. When asked about the allegations, Harth told LawNewz that she was “under duress” and “pressured” to file the case. But when questioned about who applied that pressure, she wouldn’t say.

So were the sexual harassment allegations true? Harth says: “The allegations were twisted and embellished. Everything could be looked at in different way.”

Harth, who now runs a beauty business, says she’s put the lawsuit behind her, and get this, she says she’d even vote for Donald Trump in the upcoming election — what she calls “supporting a friend.”

“I saw him [Donald] recently, and he said I looked good,” Harth said. “I have nothing but good things to say about Donald.”

Maybe now, but back then she presented a very different relationship with the now Republican front runner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

Barring the extreme outside chance of Cruz being named to the Supreme Court (and being confirmed, which is tough when you have no friends in the chamber) I see his career going down one of three paths

This was a little while ago but I thought it was a good post and deserves comment. What will Ted do if he doesn't get the nomination here? It's something I've given a lot of thought as well.

CubsWoo posted:

- Perennial candidate like Huckabee and Dole, over multiple cycles either ending up as a bottom tier 1-2 percenter or getting a pity nomination in a no-hope year against a strong Democrat up for re-election.

I don't see him as a perennial candidate getting no votes. Even if he were to get a good grift out of that, my impression is that this stuff is in deadly earnest for Cruz and his extremely narcissistic ego wouldn't allow him to endure repeated humiliations like that, even if there were millions in it. He will live comfortably as spouse of a Goldman Sachs mucky muck and is perfectly capable of earning a lot as a lawyer himself with his credentials and ability without having to whore himself out as a right wing gimmick. Even if he could get paid a ton to do a show like Huckabee or Palin I don't see him doing it because I think Cruz does think of himself as a classy Ivy League intellect and important politician and wouldn't want to do things that would conflict with that self image. I really think Cruz is out to prove that being the biggest right wing zealot on the block is a viable, nay the best, path to the presidency and to execute and follow through on that strategy as the candidate himself.

CubsWoo posted:

- Goes back to the Senate humbled, starts to reach out and make friends and deals, takes a few cycles off to gain seniority and broaden his resume (maybe runs for TX-GOV if Abbott no longer wants it) and try again in four or five cycles. He'd be younger than Trump if he were elected in 2040.

This would be a viable path to go on to eventually reach the Presidency from where he is, but the real question is does the guy have the temperament, the personal qualities, to endure eating humble pie, to approach a Senate career like a grownup and change completely from what he's been doing so far, form actual alliances, compromise once in a while etc.? Everything we know about him would seem to suggest he doesn't have it in him, but we'll see.

CubsWoo posted:

- Goes back to the Senate, continues being TED CRUZ, DEFENDER OF THE CONSTITUTION. Ends up losing re-election once Texas gets fed up with his poo poo and spends the next 30 years in syndicated radio talking about that one time he won a state against Donald Trump.

I think this track is likely given the guy's temperament and aversion to compromise and he's already staked out the brand as the Right Wing Champion of the Constitution and Guy Who Is Going To Tear Down All the Idols in the Temple.

You didn't mention a fourth important possibility which is to run for Governor of Texas. Hell if Abbott can win that so can Cruz, if he plays his cards right and doesn't damage his brand too badly during this race. There he can posture as the rootingest tootingest gun slinging cowboy right winger without any conflict with his job description and have a fair platform to run from. I suspect this is the smartest and most high probability path for him to become President.

A fifth possibility is to seek a Veep spot on the ticket but the way he's played the game so far makes that very unlikely in my view. (Unless he and Rubio came to an agreement literally in the next few days in order to consolidate the race, but I doubt either can agree who gets top bunk.) He doesn't help deliver any state that isn't already blood red. If you play the role of the conniving Machiavellian dirty trick puppet master you have to win the top spot, no one will want you as their Veep scheming away and having to have their food tasted, and having their Veep doing their own publicity grabs and undermining the Administration message all the time. He's also just not a likeable guy anyone would want to have around, either on the campaign trail or in their administration.

The Senate is a dead end for Cruz. It's pretty clear that he only viewed getting elected to it as a step to get a national profile where he could build his brand of being the Uncompromising Right Winger and then run for Prez during his first term. He obviously assumed he would actually make it all the way to the White House on his first go (in this way Obama's election is the father of Ted's and Marco's candidacies). There doesn't seem to be an obvious contingency plan or sensible way to continue towards the presidency via the Senate the way Ted has run his political career to date. Completely changing his brand to a humble reasonable Senator who can play with others is something I doubt is in him. If he did so he could build a Senate resume that could be the basis of a future Presidential run as a senior statesman of the party, but he'd have to abandon his old brand that he's cultivated to date as a real Senate career by definition would totally undermine what he currently stands for (he's kind of the Anti-Senator).

I suspect that, assuming he doesn't get the nom here that he will then look for the earliest possible time to run for TX governor and continue the game from there if successful. If he failed both in holding his Senate seat and in becoming Governor I think his political career would well and truly be over unless he decided to try for a spot on the Supreme Court the next time a non Trump Republican gets in.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its gonna be pretty gross if/when the election turns into dueling sex abuse claims

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

this is flatly false, and i don't understand how you can say this when we had the world's most vivid possible counterexample four years ago. literally, the exact thing you're describing as impossible happened, the exact way you're saying it couldn't possibly, to romney. we know this can and will work because we saw it work just the way i described last election. do you really not remember?

romney said that his ruthlessness would be what we needed as a country, to turn us around and start making money again. voters emphatically rejected that argument. if trump tries to repeat it-- which i don't think he will, he's much savvier than romney-- he will be slaughtered.

Romney is not charismatic and in case you forgot his family is a political fixture. Romney's ruthlessness also wasn't planted on a platform of extreme nationalism and loving over other countries. Trump is already doing it and it's working fine "these guys are killers...that's the kind of thinking we need for our country".

But keep thinking Romney and Trump are comparable figures and using the same lines of attack Liz Mair is trying.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

A list of things on a website don't mean anything if he can't even articulate what he believes, and he doesn't want to pin down anything specific because he doesn't actually have any concrete policies he cares about.

He's cared about horribly unfair trade agreements screwing over Americans for 30 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSIQZFHharA

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Guys do you think

do you think Trump and Vince McMahon planned this out with the entire GOP years ago

that this is the birth of political kayfabe, the new strat to draw new voters to politics

do you think the medias falling for it too

We'll find out on April 3rd!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

paranoid randroid posted:

its gonna be pretty gross if/when the election turns into dueling sex abuse claims

Weird part is both Bill and Trump's alleged victims are voting Trump.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Zwabu posted:

You didn't mention a fourth important possibility which is to run for Governor of Texas. Hell if Abbott can win that so can Cruz, if he plays his cards right and doesn't damage his brand too badly during this race. There he can posture as the rootingest tootingest gun slinging cowboy right winger without any conflict with his job description and have a fair platform to run from. I suspect this is the smartest and most high probability path for him to become President.

I don't know if he'll have the opportunity any time soon. Abbott is 58 and seems popular enough to hang on for three or four terms. Cruz is probably going to have to wait until his late 50s/early 60s to have a chance and at that point he'll probably have to make a choice between TX-GOV and another White House run unless he tries to primary Abbott or decides that he can wait until he's Trump's age to try again.

quote:

A fifth possibility is to seek a Veep spot on the ticket but the way he's played the game so far makes that very unlikely in my view. (Unless he and Rubio came to an agreement literally in the next few days in order to consolidate the race, but I doubt either can agree who gets top bunk.) He doesn't help deliver any state that isn't already blood red. If you play the role of the conniving Machiavellian dirty trick puppet master you have to win the top spot, no one will want you as their Veep scheming away and having to have their food tasted, and having their Veep doing their own publicity grabs and undermining the Administration message all the time. He's also just not a likeable guy anyone would want to have around, either on the campaign trail or in their administration.

The Senate is a dead end for Cruz. It's pretty clear that he only viewed getting elected to it as a step to get a national profile where he could build his brand of being the Uncompromising Right Winger and then run for Prez during his first term. He obviously assumed he would actually make it all the way to the White House on his first go (in this way Obama's election is the father of Ted's and Marco's candidacies). There doesn't seem to be an obvious contingency plan or sensible way to continue towards the presidency via the Senate the way Ted has run his political career to date. Completely changing his brand to a humble reasonable Senator who can play with others is something I doubt is in him. If he did so he could build a Senate resume that could be the basis of a future Presidential run as a senior statesman of the party, but he'd have to abandon his old brand that he's cultivated to date as a real Senate career by definition would totally undermine what he currently stands for (he's kind of the Anti-Senator).

I suspect that, assuming he doesn't get the nom here that he will then look for the earliest possible time to run for TX governor and continue the game from there if successful. If he failed both in holding his Senate seat and in becoming Governor I think his political career would well and truly be over unless he decided to try for a spot on the Supreme Court the next time a non Trump Republican gets in.

100% agreed, and I can't imagine any candidate who would want Cruz hanging around as the next in line. One other possibility I forgot would be Cruz being named Attorney General, but that runs into the same dead end of Senate confirmation.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Please let it be recorded for posterity that Donald Trump just strode into a primary site where Glenn Beck was midspeech stumping for Ted Cruz in the background and stole all the attention.

God Bless.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

A 58 year old georgia kaolin miner with a bad back who lost his insurance after he lost his job has a right to be pissed, but it's people like the donald who are responsible for his plight and the donald isn't going to make things better for him.

If you blame capitalists for profit maximizing instead of inadequate politicians and regulation you should be banned from the Republican primary thread.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Schnorkles posted:

Please let it be recorded for posterity that Donald Trump just strode into a primary site where Glenn Beck was midspeech stumping for Ted Cruz in the background and stole all the attention.

God Bless.

Tomorrow's Beck radio show will be glorious, will he spend 2 hours or all 3 whining about this slight on the Divine Word

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

paranoid randroid posted:

Thinking cynically, I think Trump has the edge there given both women (thus far) have dropped charges entirely, with one of them saying, I forget, something about it being the tensions of the divorce that led to the accusations?, and think highly of Trump today. Juanita Broaddrick, well:

https://twitter.com/atensnut/status/684822324227379200

Montasque posted:

Weird part is both Bill and Trump's alleged victims are voting Trump.

Oh yeah, this too

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i certainly don't believe my preferred candidate will win-- i think the deck is too stacked against bernie for him to make it. i also really, really don't like hillary, to the point where i'd vote for jill stein over her in the general. or write in sanders. hell, i'd consider trump if i wasn't married to a (legal) immigrant.

As a legal immigrant who came to the US via a spouse visa, I'm curious why that's a dealbreaker for you with Trump?

It's pretty clear that Trump has no problem with legal immigration, and most fellow legal immigrants I know get annoyed at illegals for line cutting and contributing to the years of checks and forms we have to go through.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

One other possibility I forgot would be Cruz being named Attorney General, but that runs into the same dead end of Senate confirmation.

Hmm good point but his odds would be a lot better there than getting a lifetime Supreme Court appointment.

Cruz's career is really all about getting the Presidency but I suspect becoming a Supreme Court Justice would be a decent second prize for him and help satisfy his need to be a historic figure and allow him to satisfy his ego by being known as one of the most influential lawyers in the country.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Schnorkles posted:

God Bless.

Must...not....love........trrruuuuummmmpppppp :mad:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I want to see trump destroy all. beck, all bushes, both clintons, cruz, sovereign nations, the state of vermont, whatever

now we are all sons of bitches

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Hahahah Jeb might have spent the most in Nevada - maddow

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

The Saurus posted:

It's pretty clear that Trump has no problem with legal immigration,

Say that to a muslim

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Donald Trump gimmick account is real.

I said in this thread that I would get Trump to start using notes for his speeches to keep on track. I messaged him to do so, with links citing things posted here about Reagan and such, and within days he started showing up at his rallies with his written outlines, screenshots of which were posted here.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

CubsWoo posted:

Cruz is probably going to have to wait until his late 50s/early 60s to have a chance and at that point he'll probably have to make a choice between TX-GOV and another White House run unless he tries to primary Abbott or decides that he can wait until he's Trump's age to try again.

Oh god, imagine how terrifying Cruz will look when he's 70. What a mess.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Thinking cynically, I think Trump has the edge there given both women (thus far) have dropped charges entirely, with one of them saying, I forget, something about it being the tensions of the divorce that led to the accusations?, and think highly of Trump today. Juanita Broaddrick, well:

https://twitter.com/atensnut/status/684822324227379200

Oh yeah, this too

Is that tweet real?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Saurus posted:

As a legal immigrant who came to the US via a spouse visa, I'm curious why that's a dealbreaker for you with Trump?

It's pretty clear that Trump has no problem with legal immigration, and most fellow legal immigrants I know get annoyed at illegals for line cutting and contributing to the years of checks and forms we have to go through.

She came here fleeing a fascist regime and is terrified of Trump's demagoguery. She says she will leave the country if he is elected, and points to the anti-refugee violence in Europe (that gang of neo-nazis that beat up children in the Stockholm subway station, for example) as where his rhetoric leads. It's stages 1-3 of genocide and she believes that it is emboldening people. Last year two men in Boston beat up a homeless Latino man saying Trump inspired them, and he practically praised them for it.

It doesn't matter if Trump hates immigrants. I believe he doesn't. He married one, after all. But all the black people you know are nice colored folks and all the ones you don't are violent niggers, and Trump has no problem dehumanizing and stoking violence against immigrants to get elected.

If he softened the anti-immigrant line, said something like "they're human and they're struggling but we have to look to our own citizens first," I wouldn't agree with that but I might be able to look past it. If he did that and promised to prosecute the LB, BS, GS and JPMC assholes who dynamited the economy 9 years ago he'd have my vote. But as long as that ugly nativism is in his platform I'll oppose him to the death.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

The Saurus posted:

He's cared about horribly unfair trade agreements screwing over Americans for 30 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSIQZFHharA

Then why was his clothing line made in China and Mexico?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Because taking advantage of the system doesn't mean you can't criticize it as unfair, and a token gesture won't really do much to solve anything.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

She came here fleeing a fascist regime and is terrified of Trump's demagoguery. She says she will leave the country if he is elected, and points to the anti-refugee violence in Europe (that gang of neo-nazis that beat up children in the Stockholm subway station, for example) as where his rhetoric leads. It's stages 1-3 of genocide and she believes that it is emboldening people. Last year two men in Boston beat up a homeless Latino man saying Trump inspired them, and he practically praised them for it.

It doesn't matter if Trump hates immigrants. I believe he doesn't. He married one, after all. But all the black people you know are nice colored folks and all the ones you don't are violent niggers, and Trump has no problem dehumanizing and stoking violence against immigrants to get elected.

If he softened the anti-immigrant line, said something like "they're human and they're struggling but we have to look to our own citizens first," I wouldn't agree with that but I might be able to look past it. If he did that and promised to prosecute the LB, BS, GS and JPMC assholes who dynamited the economy 9 years ago he'd have my vote. But as long as that ugly nativism is in his platform I'll oppose him to the death.

My country isn't responsible for her poo poo country. And she won't leave the country when he is elected. No one will be leaving America when Trump is elected. No one will move to Canada.

Trump isn't inciting violence against anyone because that would be illegal. And he won't in jail is he.

Trump bitch!

*click*

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Mendicant posted:

trump talks about mexican rapists and banning muslims
thats very in right now
if trump beats the dem nominee the dems should nominate a literal porn starlet to 2020

a quick-witted one mind you

maybe sasha grey

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Slow Graffiti posted:

Most people get this so let me lay it out YET AGAIN. A businessman has an obligation to maximize profit. As a politician he knows how those laws were good for his bottom line but bad for America. He now wants to use that knowledge to make the most profitable avenue for the businessmen to employ Americans and make things here. It's not a great idea but people GET the difference.

Romney couldn't make it work because Romney was a robot who had no tangible societal benefits he built to point to, like a giant fuckoff gold bar hotel in Vegas.

General update: the r/the_donald subreddit has exploded and now has more members than any other Republican sub (passing Ron Paul). Bernie milennials don't like a loser and the pendulum begins its mad swing toward eventual overcorrection. Hold on to your safe space, folks. Blame the right all you want, but liberals share much of the blame if poo poo gets nationalist as gently caress up in here.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Schnorkles posted:

God Bless.

Someone please provide a video of this as soon as possible, I NEED to see it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

stephenfry posted:

if trump beats the dem nominee the dems should nominate a literal porn starlet to 2020

a quick-witted one mind you

maybe sasha grey

Without any trace of sarcasm I can say that I think she'd be a better president than Trump.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Saurus posted:

Britva Cutter
Jul 9, 2006

No, I'm in touch with humanity.

The Saurus posted:

And the ensuing Trump tweet about it.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

The Saurus posted:

I need this too.

Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Schnorkles posted:

God Bless.

Looks like Glen Beck

Just got stump'd

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

mdemone posted:

Without any trace of sarcasm I can say that I think she'd be a better president than Trump.

Sasha Grey would be an amazing President

Also imagine the absolute consternation that every other world leader would have about meeting her. The House of Saud would break off all diplomatic relations entirely

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mdemone posted:

I don't get it.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

The Saurus posted:

Unfortunately there's not much of a video.

You can hear Beck speaking in the background [sort of] and trump walks in as he's wrapping up. Then he starts speaking when Beck stops.

It's more hilarious because he did it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Brannock posted:

Sasha Grey would be an amazing President

Also imagine the absolute consternation that every other world leader would have about meeting her. The House of Saud would break off all diplomatic relations entirely

hell, fund it

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Oiled and Ready posted:

Romney couldn't make it work because Romney was a robot who had no tangible societal benefits he built to point to, like a giant fuckoff gold bar hotel in Vegas.

Romney couldn't make it work because he was widely viewed as a vampire who latched onto existing businesses and drained the life out of them in order to fill his own pockets. Trump makes the rich guy act work because he has the narrative of a guy who creates things.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i feel like "loving off the house of saud" is a noble end unto itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Slow Graffiti posted:

Because he has to remain competitive and to do otherwise would be screwing himself over for a futile gesture. You can want to change the rules while still using them to your advantage while they exist.

This is the exact same defence Shillary fans use for her SuperPAC.

• Locked thread