Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

also let's not forget at the very beginning using the tactic of 'bomb around the ground to keep those savages from going near our fancy wrecked plane'.

This really isn't as clever as you think it is. I really doubt that the aircraft was destroyed for anything even remotely resembling that reason, it's all the more likely it was destroyed to prevent any other foreign nations from getting their hands on the wreckage, as happened in the former Yugoslavia with the F-117 that was shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Few updates for Libya:

quote:

Libyan rebels say they expect to receive an offer from Muammar Gaddafi “very soon” that could end the four-month war but insisted the veteran strongman must agree to step down.

The rebels said they were not in direct contact with Gaddafi officials but said they expected to receive the offer through South African and French intermediaries.

quote:

The Libyan government has repeated its offer to hold elections on whether Muammar Gaddafi should stay in power.

Earlier this month in an interview with an Italian newspaper, Gaddafi’s son Saif said Libya was willing to hold elections within three months.

Today government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim echoed that offer. According to Reuters he told reporters:

quote:

If the Libyan people decide Gaddafi should leave he will leave. If the people decide he should stay he will stay.

quote:

Libyan rebels in Benghazi have dismissed Gaddafi’s apparent offer to stay out of negotiations on a settlement to the conflict. The Africa Union announced the apparent concession, which has not been confirmed by Tripoli, at the end of talks in Pretoria. Representatives refused to take questions on the offer.

Rebel spokesman Jalel el Gallal told al-Jazeera that the Transitional National Council was “perplexed” by the apparent offer. He said Gaddafi must cede power before talks can begin.

And a brief round up from other areas from the Guardian:

quote:

• Activists in Syria say thousand of mourners have taken to the streets of Damascus for the funeral of two civilians killed by government forces. It comes after a series of protest last night in and around the capital.

• Egypt has dropped plans to ask for loans from the IMF and the World Bank.

• Israel has threatened to ban journalists from the country if they take part in the Gaza flotilla which is due to set sail on Tuesday.

• The Yemeni government says President Ali Abdullah Saleh will address the nation in the next two days. Burns to Saleh's face mean his appears "will not be as the media expects it", a spokesman said.

Various people on Twitter (not journalists) have been saying the Nafusa rebels are currently attacking Bir al Ghanam, which is about 30km north of Yafran, and is on the road to Az-Zawiyah and Al-Aziziyah, the latter of which is on the road to Tripoli.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Nenonen posted:

I recall the two Libyan fighter bombers landing in Malta, claiming they did it because they were told to bomb a Libyan city, were proven to be a CIA/NATO false flag operation.

Okay, technically not 'proven'. But we haven't heard anything about them ever since, what other proof is needed?

Wasn't one of them shot down by rebel friendly-fire over Benghazi around the time the NFZ was voted ? I don't know what we'd hear about the other one anyway, I don't think he's authorized to fly under the NFZ.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I thought that came from a nearby airbase? I wouldn't imagine Malta would have let the other aircraft leave after they had landed.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

A student posted:

The Libya / Iraq comparisons fall apart when it comes to the legal authorization, the motivations, the scale of involvement, and the reasons for regime change.

The authorization to intervene in Libya came from the United Nations. The contention of those who support the resolution is that participating in the conflict will prevent more deaths than not participating. After the authorization was passed NATO forces took action. Participation has been limited to aerial and naval bombardments, smuggling war making materials to the rebels, and covertly supply of advisors. There's an insistence of regime change because it's feared that Qaddafi could bide his time before launching a campaign of repression.

Prior to the Iraq invasion people claimed that Saddam posed an existential threat to his people, Iraq's neighbors, and to the United States. This was shown not to be the case. It appears that the decision to invade was driven by ideology, a hatred of Saddam, and delusional thinking. When it looked like the UN would not authorize Bush to invade he and his "Coalition of the Willing" unilaterally invaded Iraq. A later UN resolution authorized continued Coalition involvement in Iraq but the authorization did not retroactively authorize the invasion. Iraq is still suffering from the consequences of the invasion.

Iraq/Libya comparisons are fair because the ultimate cause for the intervention was Saddam/Gaddafi crossing a certain line. Iraq was basically Libya played out in slow motion on both sides. The biggest difference is that in the buildup to intervention, lies about WMD were used to try and convince the UN to act. Outside of the WMD bullshit, the reasons for intervening in both countries were pretty much the same.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Iraq/Libya comparisons are fair because the ultimate cause for the intervention was Saddam/Gaddafi crossing a certain line. Iraq was basically Libya played out in slow motion on both sides. The biggest difference is that in the buildup to intervention, lies about WMD were used to try and convince the UN to act. Outside of the WMD bullshit, the reasons for intervening in both countries were pretty much the same.

The reasons cited for going to war, and the actual reasons for going to war are different though.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!
Plus the war we started in Iraq has killed more people, or at least as many, in eight years than Saddam did during his entire reign, so there's that, too.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

And here I thought the biggest difference was 200,000 invading soldiers.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Furthermore, you do realize that just because a certain justification was bullshit in one case doesn't mean it has to be bullshit in all cases?

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

King Dopplepopolos posted:

Plus the war we started in Iraq has killed more people, or at least as many, in eight years than Saddam did during his entire reign, so there's that, too.

The Iraq War killed 150,000 people, far less than Saddam ever killed (or would have killed had he remained in power).

quote:

Furthermore, you do realize that just because a certain justification was bullshit in one case doesn't mean it has to be bullshit in all cases?

The only bullshit justifications were WMD and links to al-Qaeda. Aside from those two, every other stated reason for invading Iraq was legitimate.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
I don't actually remember an armed insurrection in Iraq similar to the one in Libya (or Afghanistan), though all I really remember is our news wondering why the US insisted there were WMDs when the UN inspectors insisted they couldn't find any.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003

Young Freud posted:

We also have plenty of videos of African mercenaries. We just had one posted about a week ago that was recovered from a Gaddafi supporter, with truckloads of armed Africans about to be shipped to "purify Misrata".

fe: gently caress, here's a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El5bvZhHIDQ

How's that for platoons of African mercenaries, because there's at least a platoon in each truck?

I think now those are mainly black Libyans though, probably recruited from the Tawergha area itself. From what I read the town is mostly black, the inhabitants being descended from freed slaves that were allowed to settle there.
They and Misuratans seem to have resented each other for some time now, Misurata being mostly white, wealthy and often racist, Tawergha poorer and black.
Then black Libyans in general like Gaddafi because he for once didn't treat them like poo poo and sometimes even favored them over Arabs. Those Arabs that pissed him off anyway, which apparently Misuratans frequently did.

So it likely wasn't all that hard to find enough young men there willing to go to Misurata to put down the handful of troublemakers, make a nice profit and teach those Misuratans a lesson. Not sure if I can blame them, from their perspective Gaddafi must look like the good guy, or must have at least until they saw what was really going on in Misurata.

Now of course a whole lot of them are dead and Misuratans blame the town collectively for what happened. They may have been racist before, but now they are racists with guns thinking the people of Tawergha are directly responsible for the deaths of their family. And some have stated they intend to wipe Tawergha off the map.
So yeah, race relations in the new Libya are going to be a whole lot fun.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The only bullshit justifications were WMD and links to al-Qaeda. Aside from those two, every other stated reason for invading Iraq was legitimate.

Except none of them were worth going to war over (nor were presented as being meaningful). So yes, all the meaningful justifications were bullshit.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

pylb posted:

I don't actually remember an armed insurrection in Iraq similar to the one in Libya (or Afghanistan), though all I really remember is our news wondering why the US insisted there were WMDs when the UN inspectors insisted they couldn't find any.

There was something of an armed insurrection, in the latter part of the Gulf War, but we stood by as they were virtually annihilated by Saddam's forces. Also, no one asked us to go into Iraq the way the rebels did with Libya, which seems to be a nontrivial distinction.

And 150,000 is the conservative estimate. The death toll could be in the many hundreds of thousands, which would be comparable with Saddam's body count, which again he accumulated over decades.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Young Freud posted:

We also have plenty of videos of African mercenaries. We just had one posted about a week ago that was recovered from a Gaddafi supporter, with truckloads of armed Africans about to be shipped to "purify Misrata".

fe: gently caress, here's a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El5bvZhHIDQ

How's that for platoons of African mercenaries, because there's at least a platoon in each truck?

Forgetting that Libya is in Africa for the moment, please can you tell me how you can identify some black people in trucks, mixed in with what appears to be regular military, as non-Libyan "African Mercenaries" from that video.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

King Dopplepopolos posted:

There was something of an armed insurrection, in the latter part of the Gulf War, but we stood by as they were virtually annihilated by Saddam's forces. Also, no one asked us to go into Iraq the way the rebels did with Libya, which seems to be a nontrivial distinction.

And 150,000 is the conservative estimate. The death toll could be in the many hundreds of thousands, which would be comparable with Saddam's body count, which again he accumulated over decades.

That's really it. If the US had supported the armed resistances in Iraq, if it had done so when they were being crushed, if it had worked through them rather than just sending its own invading force, and if it had not made WMD claims and Al-Qaida links the primary justification for war, Iraq would be a lot more comparable to Libya. However, if these were true, Iraq would have been a much different conflict, and many of the arguments used before or against would have been different both in claims and underlying truths.

The mindset of "This argument worked really good when I made it against Iraq, so now I'm going to make it against every other potential foreign intervention" is simply a lazy one. Though I will grant that this time the spurious AQ claims have migrated from the pro-intervention to the anti-intervention side, so people at least are switching it up a little.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Freigeist posted:

I think now those are mainly black Libyans though, probably recruited from the Tawergha area itself. From what I read the town is mostly black, the inhabitants being descended from freed slaves that were allowed to settle there.
They and Misuratans seem to have resented each other for some time now, Misurata being mostly white, wealthy and often racist, Tawergha poorer and black.
Then black Libyans in general like Gaddafi because he for once didn't treat them like poo poo and sometimes even favored them over Arabs. Those Arabs that pissed him off anyway, which apparently Misuratans frequently did.

So yeah, race relations in the new Libya are going to be a whole lot fun.

They could also be Tuaregs:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110302/world/gaddafi-recruiting-hundreds-of-tuareg-fighters.352704

Or men from Mali:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/world/africa/16mali.html]

Gaddafi's mercenaries aren't exactly professional ones, but they're people he's brought in from neighboring countries in exchange for cash and guns. These articles are all from the start of the war, so he may have stopped doing that since then, but I doubt it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Iraq War killed 150,000 people, far less than Saddam ever killed (or would have killed had he remained in power).

You're off by 500,000 people or so. I do think comparisons between these conflicts is off though, I don't think they're the same, nor have been waged for the same reasons at all.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well if the sentiment on here towards Libya is this strong then so be it. I'm not going to try to change anyone's mind on here but they are certainly not going to change my mind. At least Kucinich had the balls to go against it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you make the claim that the intervention is unjust because all war is unjust or all interventions must be conducted in certain ways that's a legitimate arguement. Kucinich has been consistent with his stance that the US should not be using the military the way the military has been used, that global imperialism harms the world, that the hidden motives only empower the rich and powerful. That's a legitimate philosophical discussion where people can weigh the pros and cons of many conflicts, hypothetical conflicts, etc. Making the claim that the Libya campaign is unjust because Iraq was unjust is something else.

People can look at the stated reasons for war and the hidden drives and motivations for the war. I already pointed out that the biggest stated drives for the Iraq war were "WMDs" and "Terrorism": existential threats to the US and the middle east. No one is making the claim that Libya poses an existential threat.

Events can be charted on time lines to see where there are similarities and differences. I already pointed out how Libyan intervention went thru a different process, has a different legal legitimacy, and has involved different forms of action than Iraq.

People can compare and contrast direct and indirect death tolls. I brought up evidence that more children may have died due to sanctions than civilians died due to persecution from Saddam. The war, reconstruction, and the effect of sanctions on older populations undoubtedly raises that to a much higher number.

If the crux of your argument is how the two are very similar you would be well served to step back, reevaluate what upsets you about the conflict, and then form a different argument that can withstand facts and logic.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Nonsense posted:

You're off by 500,000 people or so. I do think comparisons between these conflicts is off though, I don't think they're the same, nor have been waged for the same reasons at all.

Source?

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ has 101,426 – 110,810

Most were from sectarian violence as well, but obviously I doubt Sunnis would be blowing up Shiites and vice versa to the extent that they are if the US didn't invade.

Still no reason to inflate the number without anything backing it up.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003

AllanGordon posted:

Source?

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ has 101,426 – 110,810

Most were from sectarian violence as well, but obviously I doubt Sunnis would be blowing up Shiites and vice versa to the extent that they are if the US didn't invade.

Still no reason to inflate the number without anything backing it up.

He's referring to the two reports released by the Lancet, which were seriously flawed and are only believed by the political fringe. It's a shame that the Lancet has sunk so low in recent years, first with their flawed bodycount, then with their study showing that vaccines cause autism.

The Iraqi Health Ministry puts the total at 150,000, which is the most accurate and reasonable count.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are more reports than just the lancet report, and if memory serves the biggest complaints about the lancet report was that they had to use tens of thousands of surveys to collect the data and it didn't necessarily follow that a large increase in deaths could be directly tied to decreased access to food, water, sanitary supplies, and so on.

I'm not troubled by the need to use survey data for medical purposes. It's a valid and useful tool. And I think it strains credibility to deny a link between a lack of basic necessities and a higher death toll. Even if we take your point about the death tolls for granted that doesn't directly translate to the intervention being wrong.

TLDR: The number of people who died under Saddam vs. under Sanctions vs. due to the Iraq war is not the sole way to compare Iraq to Libya and it has limited utility in this discussion.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

A student posted:

If you make the claim that the intervention is unjust because all war is unjust or all interventions must be conducted in certain ways that's a legitimate arguement. Kucinich has been consistent with his stance that the US should not be using the military the way the military has been used, that global imperialism harms the world, that the hidden motives only empower the rich and powerful. That's a legitimate philosophical discussion where people can weigh the pros and cons of many conflicts, hypothetical conflicts, etc. Making the claim that the Libya campaign is unjust because Iraq was unjust is something else.

I'm not trying to compare it to Iraq. I'm sure Obama and the other NATO leaders are honestly worried about the Libyan people are doing what they can to avoid civilian deaths. The thing is i'm a Quaker so I pretty much oppose all war. I do agree though that if there was ever a time that called for a 'just war' this would be it, but I don't buy into Just Wars, much less any war.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't mean for you to feel singled out. It's possible to point out parallels between Iraq and Libya or Libya and other conflicts but the posters who talked about them being almost identical were being factually inaccurate.

Now that you mention it I have an uneasy relationships with the idea of just wars. My view on this intervention (And WWII for that matter) is "less unjust than the alternatives". One of those is safer to say outloud than the other.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

A student posted:

I didn't mean for you to feel singled out. It's possible to point out parallels between Iraq and Libya or Libya and other conflicts but the posters who talked about them being almost identical were being factually inaccurate.

Now that you mention it I have an uneasy relationships with the idea of just wars. My view on this intervention (And WWII for that matter) is "less unjust than the alternatives". One of those is safer to say outloud than the other.

Oh, no problem, I didn't feel singled out, I just wanted to make my point of view clear.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I also have no beef with people who believe all war is wrong- that viewpoint is inherently correct and while I do support humanitarian intervention the fact of the matter is we have no way of knowing if we are doing the right thing long term. Hell, someone worse than CQ could be put in power- to be honest regardless of what happens the standard of living for the average Libyan will almost certainly go down.

Where I disagree is with the motivations of NATO. I support the rights of all people who wish for democratic self determination, and I didn't buy into the propaganda that said that Tunisia/Egypt etc would become Islamist dictatorships and I can't buy that with Libya. I would most certainly be willing to trade down to a lower standard of living to keep my right to have a say in my government and my right to speak freely, and the people of Libya have shown that they are willing to give far more than that.

In other words, gently caress yeah war is wrong but the western alliance did not start this fight, and using arms to defend a civilian population is a just cause.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Really Kosovo is a much better comparison. It was a NATO intervention, it was partially if not in fact mostly humanitarian in intent, it was initiated in part out of guilt for previous inaction, it was feasible because the intended target was easy to make a pariah based on previous history.

Of course the controversial part is that the War in Kosovo made things worse for Kosovars in the short term and provided the justification and impetus for their persecution far beyond the initial situation that was judged as warranting intervention (by the admission of people like Wesley Clark himself). In Libya this clearly isn't the case: Qadaffi is not bombing civilians more now than he was before. On the other hand, it doesn't seem implausible that a rebel victory could be followed by vicious reprisals against Qadaffi supporters while NATO stands by and watches because humanitarianism is only for winners.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

eSports Chaebol posted:

Really Kosovo is a much better comparison. It was a NATO intervention, it was partially if not in fact mostly humanitarian in intent, it was initiated in part out of guilt for previous inaction, it was feasible because the intended target was easy to make a pariah based on previous history.

Of course the controversial part is that the War in Kosovo made things worse for Kosovars in the short term and provided the justification and impetus for their persecution far beyond the initial situation that was judged as warranting intervention (by the admission of people like Wesley Clark himself). In Libya this clearly isn't the case: Qadaffi is not bombing civilians more now than he was before. On the other hand, it doesn't seem implausible that a rebel victory could be followed by vicious reprisals against Qadaffi supporters while NATO stands by and watches because humanitarianism is only for winners.

So your point is that since CQ never stopped bombing the rebels we should feel bad about helping them?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

AllanGordon posted:

So your point is that since CQ never stopped bombing the rebels we should feel bad about helping them?

My point is that humanitarian intentions shouldn't be taken as sufficient evidence that an intervention is a good thing. I'm not really certain about Libya myself. What is unusual is that even NATO still seems (though less than before) somewhat uncertain about their intentions, their goals, and their level of commitment. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing: after all, being circumspect can look the same as being uncertain. But NATO members are being circumspect about their benefit from intervention, which in some ways overlaps with the good of the Libyan people, but in other ways doesn't.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Lastest NATO update

quote:

Sorties conducted 26 JUNE: 138
Strike sorties conducted 26 JUNE: 56
Key Hits
26 JUNE: In Brega: 3 Command and Control Nodes.
In the vicinity of Brega: 1 Tank.
In the vicinity of Ras Lanuf: 3 Technical Vehicles.
In the vicinity of Zintan: 2 Artillery Pieces.
In vicinity of Zuwarah: 1 Antenna.
In the vicinity of Yafran: 1 Logistic Node
In the vicinity of Tripoli: 2 Towed Artillery Pieces.

An overall increase in strikes sorties, but a overall drop in the number of targets hit in and around Brega. More strikes in the Nafusa region though.

There's unconfirmed claims on Twitter that the rebels have captured Maradah south of Brega, cutting off one of the major supply lines. There's also claims that the recent NATO strikes in the area have killed a lot of Gaddafi troops, with NATO targetting officers and commanders hoping that without them the remaining troops with flee or surrender. Of course, all of this is totally unconfirmed, so take it with a huge pinch of salt.

quote:

Libyan rebels south of Tripoli have advanced to within about 80 km (50 miles) of the capital and are fighting government troops for control of the town of Bir al-Ghanam, a rebel spokesman told Reuters on Monday.

“We are on the southern and western outskirts of Bir al-Ghanam,” Juma Ibrahim, a rebel spokesman in the nearby town of Zintan, said by telephone.

“There were battles there most of yesterday. Some of our fighters were martyred and they (government forces) also suffered casualties and we captured equipment and vehicles. It’s quiet there today and the rebels are still in their positions,” he said.

Apparently midnight last night was the last time NATO had given Gaddafi troops in Zliten to surrender, so it'll be interesting to see what happenes next. There's also claims that the Nafusa rebels are fighting closer to Tripoli, at Bir al Ghanam, 20km north of Yafran. Again, pinch of salt with those claims.

Today the ICC will be issuing warrents for the arrest of Gaddafi and friends.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 27, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Live Blogs June 27th
Guardian
LibyaFeb17
Feb17.info
AJE Libya
AJE Yemen
AJE Syria

Libya
ICC

quote:

The International criminal court (ICC) has issued an arrest warrant for Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
The ICC has also issued arrest warrants for Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam who the judges described as "acting as the de facto Libyan prime minister", and the head of military intelligence, Abdullah al-Sanoussi.

quote:

In a statement read out in court, the ICC judges emphasised that the arrest warrants issued for Gaddafi, his son and his head of intelligence on charges of "crimes against humanity" were not a finding of guilt:

quote:

It's not a finding of guilt on the part of any of the three individuals. It concerns the issue of whether the requirements for the issue of warrants of arrest have been made in accordance with article 58 of the statute.
Speaking on Sunday, Gaddafi's spokesman dismissed the legitimacy of the ICC.

quote:

We believe the ICC has not legitimacy whatsoever. All its activities are around our African
leaders. They have never even considered investigating the killing of many civilians in Iraq, the killing of many civilians in Afghanistan, the killing of many civilians in Libya. The ICC needs to review its structure and philosophy.

quote:

A statement from the ICC says:

quote:

Today, 27 June 2011, Pre-Trial Chamber I of the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued three warrants of arrest respectively for Muammar Mohammed Abu Minyar Gaddafi, Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi and Abdullah Al-Senussi for crimes against humanity (murder and persecution) allegedly committed across Libya from 15 February 2011 until at least 28 February 2011, through the state apparatus and security forces.

The chamber, composed of Judges Sanji Mmasenono Monageng (Presiding), Sylvia Steiner and Cuno Tarfusser, considered that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the three suspects committed the alleged crimes and that their arrests appear necessary in order to ensure their appearances before the court; to ensure that they do not continue to obstruct and endanger the court's investigations; and to prevent them from using their powers to continue the commission of crimes within the jurisdiction of the court.

quote:

The UK foreign secretary, William Hague, has welcomed the decision by the ICC with respect to the Libyan leader and his two aides:

quote:

I welcome the ICC judges' decision to issue arrest warrants for Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, Saif al Islam al Qadhafi and Abdullah al Senussi. These individuals are accused of crimes against humanity and should be held to account before judges in a criminal court. The UK will continue to strongly support the ICC and calls upon the Libyan government to co-operate fully with the ICC investigation.

The warrants further demonstrate why Gaddafi has lost all legitimacy and why he should go immediately. His forces continue to attack Libyans without mercy and this must stop."

Individuals throughout the regime should abandon Gaddafi. We welcome the courageous actions of those who have taken a stance against the regime and recognise the inspiring stories of those who have refused to act against their own people or commit atrocities.

People at all levels of seniority should think carefully about the consequences of what they do – whether they are ordering attacks on civilians or carrying them out; whether they are firing rockets into residential areas or intimidating ordinary Libyans who want a better future. Those involved must take full responsibility for their actions, and must be held to account.

quote:

The Guardian's Middle East editor, Ian Black, writes that the prospects of a negotiated solution to the Libyan crisis have receded further after the ICC's decision to issue an arrest warrants for Gaddafi:

quote:

The investigation launched by prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo follows a referral by the UN Security Council on the Libyan conflict on February 26. Resolution 1970 was supported by all members of the council, including Russia and China, which are unhappy with the Nato bombing campaign.

The ICC referral has been attacked by some for pursuing legal avenues at the expense of a possible political solution to the crisis. Critics argue that Gaddafi and his closest associates will have no incentive to relinquish power or go into voluntary exile if they know they are certain to end up in the dock in the Hague.

In Britain, playing a leading role in Nato's military campaign, some officials have said privately that the ICC case could be left "on the back burner" in the hope this would encourage Gaddafi to seek sanctuary in a friendly African country.

The Libyan leader has however already rejected any suggestion that he would stand down or leave the country. Saif al-Islam, who is well-connected in the UK, has also vowed to "live or die" in Libya. The Benghazi-based Libyan rebels have strongly supported the ICC case and submitted evidence to the prosecutor.
Tripoli

quote:

Two loud explosions have shaken the area near Gaddafi's compound in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, the Associated Press reports:

quote:

The thunderous late morning blasts on Monday could be felt at a hotel where foreign journalists stay in Tripoli. Smoke could be seen rising from the area near Gaddafi's Bab al-Aziziya complex, where Libyans hold daily rallies in support of the government.

Gaddafi is not believed to be staying in the compound. Nato jets were heard overhead minutes after the blasts as sirens from emergency vehicles blared in the streets.
It wasn't immediately clear what was hit or if there were civilian casualties.
Nafusa

quote:

Rebels in Libya's western mountains said they have advanced towards Tripoli and are battling pro-Gaddafi's forces in a strategic town south-west of the capital.
The rebels' claim of an advance into the outskirts of the town of Bair al-Ghanam, some 50 miles (80km) from Tripoli, follows weeks of intense fighting in the Nafusa mountains in which opposition forces have slowly pushed government troops back toward the capital.
The bulk of the fighting in recent months has been focused on front lines to the east of Tripoli. But a push by rebels from the Nafusa mountains could force Gaddafi to commit more troops to the southern and western approaches to the capital.

The Gaddafi regime

quote:

Moussa Koussa, Gaddafi's former intelligence chief and Libyan foreign minister, has been tracked down to a luxury hotel in the Gulf by the Daily Telegraph. Koussa defected to Britain at the end of March and, after being debriefed by MI6 and interviewed over the Lockerbie bombing by Dumfries and Galloway police, he was allowed to leave Britain in April. The Telegraph writes:

quote:

Koussa has been living for several weeks in a 17th-floor penthouse suite at the Four Seasons Hotel in Doha, the capital of Qatar, under the protection of Qatari security services ...

At the weekend he refused to say when he would leave Qatar, or even if would be allowed to. He is constantly trailed by a team of Qatari "minders", who were summoned to escort The Daily Telegraph away when it approached him for an interview.

The Conservative MP for Harlow, Robert Halfon, called for Mr Koussa to be handed over to the International Criminal Court in the Hague and put on trial for his role in atrocities perpetrated over decades by the Libyan government under Col Muammar Gaddafi.

"He was part of a grim regime," said Mr Halfon, whose family's roots are in Libya and whose grandfather fled Tripoli in the 1960s.

quote:

Gaddafi paraded his latest weapon in the war against Nato to the international media in Libya on Sunday, 500 women at a graduation ceremony in Tripoli, who had completed weapons training in defence of the regime. The Guardian's David Smith writes:

quote:

Screaming and chanting his name, the 500 women and girls vowed their undying love for one man. Not a pop star or Hollywood actor, but Libya's Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.

Around 50 international journalists, invited and escorted by government minders, arrived to find them clapping, singing, ululating, punching the air and waving green flags in a tented hall set up with chandeliers and two colossal flatscreen TVs.

There were elderly women and little girls in the hall, and every age in between. Some held aloft pictures of a luminous Gaddafi, one framed in green Christmas tinsel. A woman waved a green flag and wore a sparkly green cape, green scarf and green bandana with badges showing Gaddafi's face. Next to her was a woman wearing a watch that displayed his image.

Reporters pondered whether the event had been stage managed entirely for their benefit. The Gaddafi groupies painted the first dozen rows green, but behind them were hundreds of empty seats. Outside was a rattle of gunfire as some enthusiastic graduates fired their new weapons into the air with little regard for where the ammunition might land.

quote:

The Libyan foreign minister, Abdelati Obeidi, is in Tunisia negotiating with foreign parties, according to The Tunisian state news agency, Tap.

It says Obeidi will be in Djerba "for a few days" and has been joined by the Libyan health minister, Ahmed Hijazi, and the social affairs minister, Ibrahim Sherif.

The report does not indicate whether they are in Tunisia to try to negotiate a possible peace deal to end the conflict in Libya.

Abdel Hafiz Ghoga, vice-chairman of the rebel national transitional council said last week that the rebel leadership had been in indirect contact with Gaddafi's government about a possible peace deal.

NATO and friends

quote:

The UK defence secretary, Liam Fox, insisted today that Britain can afford military operations in Libya, amid domestic concerns that they are unsustainable. Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Fox said:

quote:

The message should ring out very clearly to Colonel Gaddafi and his regime that, not only can we do it, not only do we have the military hardware to do it, but we have the political and moral resolve to continue to protect the population of Libya as long as we are asked do so under the authority of the United Nations and as long as Colonel Gaddafi is waging war on his own people.

He added that the way in which the mission was carried out was "sustainable" in spite of questions raised by Air Chief Marshal Sir Simon Bryant, the RAF head of combat operations, and the head of the navy, Sir Mark Stanhope.

quote:

We have made it very clear that the way in which we are carrying out this mission is sustainable along with our allies, and I think that it is very important that, when you are in a conflict, you do not raise ideas in the minds of your opponents that we may not be willing to carry this through. We are willing to carry it through, we are able to carry it through and we will do so as long as required.

quote:

Major General Nick Pope via the UKMilOps Twitter account:

quote:

On Saturday, an RAF patrol identified a pair of regime military vehicles near Yafran, in the western highlands of the Djebel Nafousa.
Both regime military vehicles were destroyed with Paveway precision guided bombs.
HMS Liverpool provided overwatch to an allied warship conducting a bombardment of regime forces in the area of Zlitan, west of Misrata.
On Sunday, RAF Tornado aircraft attacked a pair of artillery pieces near Yafran, in the Djebel Nafousa south west of Tripoli.
During the night, HMS Ocean launched her Army Air Corps Apache helicopters against two regime check points at Bin Jawad
The regime check points were preventing freedom of movement on the coastal road between Brega and Sirte.
Fleet Air Arm Sea King helicopters in the Airborne Surveillance and Area Control role provided support.
Three armed vehicles at the checkpoints were destroyed using Hellfire missiles and 30mm Chain Gun fire
Since operations began, Royal Navy, RAF and Army Air Corps strikes have destroyed 520 regime targets that threatened the civilian population

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

It's a shame that the Lancet has sunk so low in recent years, first with their flawed bodycount, then with their study showing that vaccines cause autism.

Andrew Wakefield's paper predates the Iraq war. It was in the news last year because the Lancet finally officially retracted it. It's shameful that it took 12 years for them to do so, however.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
Is Dennis Kucinich going the way of Cynthia McKinney?

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/06/what-dennis-kucinich-doing-syria/39300/

quote:

Earlier this morning, CNN's Hala Gorani, one of the few Western journalists who has been permitted entry to Damascus, issued a strange tweet: "Ran into Dennis Kucinich in another hotel. Told me he's on fact-finding mission. Met w Assad for 3 hrs yest. Wouldn't elaborate." What is the anti-war, anti-Libya campaign Ohio Democrat doing meeting with the head of a regime accused of killing over 1,300 people in its crackdown on anti-government protests?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
If you mean principled and unfairly demonized for it, yea sure.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Is Dennis Kucinich going the way of Cynthia McKinney?

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/06/what-dennis-kucinich-doing-syria/39300/

Well, as long as he doesn't do something like putting up a press statement about how Assad hasn't done poo poo and is just fighting against terrorists in his country, like McKinney did with Gaddafi, his meeting with Assad wouldn't mean poo poo. I wouldn't doubt he would do something like that, though. I never liked him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

What would be interesting is if Kucinich came back from Syria a hawk for intervening there?

Be interesting if pigs could fly as well.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A CNN journalist in Tripli Tweeted this picture:

The Gaddafi regime claims this bus was bombed by NATO. If it was, then NATO has some pretty pathetic bombs.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

NATO must be dropping Molotov cocktails (or benzine-soaked tennis balls) because that's what the damage looks like its from. Naplam or incindergel would have covered the outside and incinerated the thing entirely, turning it completely into a black husk. Explosives would have shredded the outside and probably ripped all the way to the frame.

Here, it looks like there was a fire inside the trailer, which burned up and out, which is consistent with an internal fire, like someone throwing a fuel can into a portable oven or tossing a Molotov into the cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hell, the tires look fine as well. Doesn't look to be all that much deformation of the structure either so it wasn't a very hot fire at all.

Might just be the quality of the picture but it doesn't look like there's any glass shards at all in those windows.

• Locked thread