Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

Get a physical copy of Golden. VGP or Amazon will probably have them for cheap.

It's like £6 for a digital copy on PSN and I have a £10'er from last months promotion in my wallet so getting a storage card is probably going to work out a bunch cheaper in the grand scheme.

e: £4 right now actually.

Definitely worth thinking about though 'cos the physical copy is ~£22 which might be about the same price as a second hand 8 gig'er for the leeway (quick internet searches say so anyway). I dunno, I'll figure it out when I get the PSTV I guess. It's second hand too so maybe they'll leave a storage card in, who knows.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's like £6 for a digital copy on PSN and I have a £10'er from last months promotion in my wallet so getting a storage card is probably going to work out a bunch cheaper in the grand scheme

Note: Vita storage is stupidly expensive because gently caress Sony.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, real stupid.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Anyway, a 4 GB card works fine. I have games larger than P4G that fit on mine.

Not that a 4 GB card is reasonably priced either.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
At what point does this game start? My buddy and I are 2 hours into the game and so far we've watched about a half hour of anime, got lost in the Tokyo subway, and hung out with a cat on our way to school.

Neither of us has played a persona game so far. Does the 'real game' start up soon or is this pretty much how it goes?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Eela6 posted:

At what point does this game start? My buddy and I are 2 hours into the game and so far we've watched about a half hour of anime, got lost in the Tokyo subway, and hung out with a cat on our way to school.

Neither of us has played a persona game so far. Does the 'real game' start up soon or is this pretty much how it goes?

I think it took me 3-4 hours before I could start properly exploring the first palace. Time management stuff doesnt really open up properly until well into the second palace, night time activities are really restricted at first.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Eela6 posted:

Hanging out with a cat describes the entire game.

But no, you get control eventually.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Opposing Farce posted:

Yes. Which is why Ryuji and Ann are the best party members for boss fights where you can't hit an elemental weakness.

I'm sure someone will do the numbers but if you can reliably get Baton Passes off something like Miracle Punch it might be worth considering Yusuke too. Especially if you get lucky with Futaba dropping Ultra Charges on you.

Honestly they've all got pros - Ryuji's super durable and has Matarukaja, Ann has an emergency Diarahan and (Ma)tarunda, and Yusuke has High Counter and Masukukaja. Pick two of them, then Morgana/Makoto for your healer slot.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Opposing Farce posted:

Yes. Which is why Ryuji and Ann are the best party members for boss fights where you can't hit an elemental weakness.

I've done charge/concentrate+tarukaja+rakunda, but not added the baton pass. pity yusuke gets the baton pass-enhanced moves rather than ryuji

JOHNSON COCKSLAP fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 24, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Maya Fey posted:

is there any boss in the persona games that has a (possibly minuscule) nonzero chance to get hit by an instant kill hama/mudo spell? some of them are explicitly immune but others just show "missed" or whatever

Not hama or mudo but the wheel of fortune boss in 3 can inflict itself with fear and you can finish it off with ghastly wail, 100% guaranteed

It's p epic

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

JackDarko posted:

The midboss before the airlock puzzle was unbelievably difficult for me. I know it's incredibly easy with the right Skills but I had zero SP, and pretty much had to grind it out by guarding while my SP adhesives gave me enough juice to hit.

If you are talking about the part with bunch of toy soldier looking guys in waves I almost had a few close calls there too, I didn't have the medium damage to all versions of the spells I needed only the light and after all out attacking each one still had like 5hp left so there were a few close calls where they summoned help and made me waste even more SP.

Palace 5 was the first time I ever actually used any SP restoring items since getting the adhesives, and wouldn't you know it I decided to top Joker up with 2 snuff souls right after I killed the last enemy before finding the treasure :downsgun:. Luckily I don't really think it will matter that much since I can always have Kawakami brew me coffee too now

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
every time Futaba opens her mouth I hear Magilou. send help.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Deified Data posted:

The 5th palace (Okumura) was probably the worst experience I've had in a Persona game.

The keycard labyrinth, the nonsensical airlock puzzle, the timed segments with respawning enemies, the timed end boss that was just a parade of mooks. If there's a question over whether I'll replay this game that dungeon is going to be a major decider. It was so glaringly bad compared to every other dungeon.

As someone who just did it on ng+ it isn't bad at all the second time around. One high level persona with a heavy to all spell let's you one shot everything.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

When they have the achievement for hearing 250 nav lines from Futaba, what exactly constitute that? Is it when she explicitly comes in and does Moral Support or is it just like her at the top saying "All out attack" or "Weak to x"?

The first one seems like it will take forever to get to 250, second seems like it's way too frequent so not really sure.

Also Palace 5 will be easy on the replay because you don't have to Do any of the surveillance etc, you can literally just run right to the right robots and kill them, go clear the enemies before stopping the pounders, etc. I found the weaknesses in Palace 5 to be some of the easiest to exploit, not sure if I just had fused some good Persona luckily or just figured it out quickly.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The latter, and it's 250 unique lines.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just beat the for-reals final boss and all my stats are maxed and the only Confidants I didn't max are Fortune, Empress and Tower.
I'm OK with that, even if it did making Yoshitsune with Hassou Tobi ASAP slightly more expensive since he had to be re-summoned to have something sacrificed to him twice.

Actually the end of the game was a lot easier than I expected. Makoto on support duty, Haru with gun skills, Ryuji occasionally charging but mostly wrecking everything, and Joker with Auto-Mataru and Hassou Tobi meant the final dungeons were a breeze. I took two laps of the end part just to make Ryuji hit 75 for God's Hand before doing the first boss of it.

Also I got Passionate Listener on the very last fight of the game, wowzers.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Don't forget the myriad of shadow enemies with repel-physical. gently caress that place forever.

The enemies in Palace 5 weren't bad - my team of MC w/Kouga/Makoto/Ryuuji/Haru were able to meet just about every challenge. It was the long, tedious "puzzles" that got on my nerves.

JackDarko posted:

The midboss before the airlock puzzle was unbelievably difficult for me. I know it's incredibly easy with the right Skills but I had zero SP, and pretty much had to grind it out by guarding while my SP adhesives gave me enough juice to hit.

Yeah these guys were simple in theory but I only just squeaked out of that one - if you don't go into it pretty fresh they'll outpace you, or worse, force you to waste precious SP items to win.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 24, 2017

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Scorps posted:

If you are talking about the part with bunch of toy soldier looking guys in waves I almost had a few close calls there too, I didn't have the medium damage to all versions of the spells I needed only the light and after all out attacking each one still had like 5hp left so there were a few close calls where they summoned help and made me waste even more SP.

Palace 5 was the first time I ever actually used any SP restoring items since getting the adhesives, and wouldn't you know it I decided to top Joker up with 2 snuff souls right after I killed the last enemy before finding the treasure :downsgun:. Luckily I don't really think it will matter that much since I can always have Kawakami brew me coffee too now

Yeah I had no SP and they debuff your physical attack so it's a slog.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Deified Data posted:

The enemies in Palace 5 weren't bad - my team of MC w/Kouga/Makoto/Ryuuji/Haru were able to meet just about every challenge. It was the long, tedious "puzzles" that got on my nerves.

What's not fun about hitting a button and watching your camera jerk away from you and panning over to an arm and then backtracking to that arm and then doing it 5 more times and then doing it 10 more times but this time it's presses instead of arms?

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Why would they even let the arms be turned up to 10x is my question, it's like they stuxnet'd themselves for no real reason. They could have at least had Futaba hack them or something and made a clever joke to tie it in.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Scorps posted:

Why would they even let the arms be turned up to 10x is my question, it's like they stuxnet'd themselves for no real reason. They could have at least had Futaba hack them or something and made a clever joke to tie it in.

It's the theme of the whole area - work the drones to death, don't spare any thought to how it effects them.

"You mean we can make the arms work 10x harder? Well why the hell aren't they?"

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Yeah right after I posted I realized it obviously isn't a real factory and was just his distortion as soon as I started thinking about "why do they even have lunch break" and realizing they were not supposed to be robots but real people treated like bots. So in one sense I guess you could say I now understand the basic principle of the 5th palace that they introduce to you right at the beginning of it :unsmith:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

I appreciate you posting this

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

You have lived a charmed life.

It's not even the worst dungeon in this game.

Do you think one comes before or after?

Because if it's the former, and you think it's the bank, I enjoyed that one quite a bit. :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm a fan of Haru over Ann--I like having the reflects on someone other than MC and Heat Riser is nice--but they're both awesome at endgame.

Then Makoto in the final slot for a healer with Marakukaja and you've got a hell of a party.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Just got Haru as a combat member and I've enjoyed all the dungeons so far.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Scorps posted:

When they have the achievement for hearing 250 nav lines from Futaba, what exactly constitute that? Is it when she explicitly comes in and does Moral Support or is it just like her at the top saying "All out attack" or "Weak to x"?

The first one seems like it will take forever to get to 250, second seems like it's way too frequent so not really sure.

Also Palace 5 will be easy on the replay because you don't have to Do any of the surveillance etc, you can literally just run right to the right robots and kill them, go clear the enemies before stopping the pounders, etc. I found the weaknesses in Palace 5 to be some of the easiest to exploit, not sure if I just had fused some good Persona luckily or just figured it out quickly.

Just make sure you give your bench warmers a run, maybe in mementos, and it'll probably pop naturally.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Hi I had to take a break from the game for a while. How do I romance Lala-chan again?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bennyfranks posted:

Hi I had to take a break from the game for a while. How do I romance Lala-chan again?

You'll need 6 Charm to even start her social link :smith:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've never hated a character more in this series than I hate Mishima right now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lala-chan knows not to take advantage of minors, unlike half of the rest of the cast

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I just saw Haru's All Out Attack screen for the first time and it loving owns, ADIEU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Do you think one comes before or after?

Because if it's the former, and you think it's the bank, I enjoyed that one quite a bit. :shrug:

The first half of palace 3 was pretty great. Second half is not as great but still better than the second half of palace 5 imo.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Palace 7 was definitely the most annoying for me. Don't get me wrong, it had my favorite aesthetic in the game except for maybe Palace 6 but there's so goddamn many minibosses, to the point that it actually takes away from the actual big one. It's also the one time in the game that I was thankful for Ryuji's insta-kill.

I also think it's pretty weird that that's Akechi's only time confronting the party after turning traitor, but that's neither here nor there.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Motto posted:

Just got Haru as a combat member and I've enjoyed all the dungeons so far.

I'd use Haru if I hadn't hosed up and didn't have max proficiency. So I can bum rush proficiency then her social link. All while prolonging the sixth palace completion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I've never hated a character more in this series than I hate Mishima right now.

Mishima is pretty terrible until rank 8 or so of his confidant. By the end I was actually kind of proud of the little fucker.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JackDarko posted:

I'd use Haru if I hadn't hosed up and didn't have max proficiency. So I can bum rush proficiency then her social link. All while prolonging the sixth palace completion.

If you haven't done the Hanged Confidant that gives you a ton of proficiency on each rank up

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ROFL Octopus posted:

I also think it's pretty weird that that's Akechi's only time confronting the party after turning traitor, but that's neither here nor there.

Joker's supposed to be dead at that point, so he absolutely could not have met with Akechi in the interim. As for the others, I assume Akechi didn't think the Phantom Thieves would've lasted much longer with their leader dead.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Scorps posted:

I just saw Haru's All Out Attack screen for the first time and it loving owns, ADIEU

Any finisher that involves a chair is A+ stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

does the game checkpoint when there's several boss fights in a row with no opportunity to save?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Not hama or mudo but the wheel of fortune boss in 3 can inflict itself with fear and you can finish it off with ghastly wail, 100% guaranteed

It's p epic

that's cool