Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm of the opinion that on modern bikes(80s on up), you're not going to see anything useful thing from plug chops. If you're really interested in A/F reading and dialing in jetting, get the right tool for the job with an AF sensor. They're a bit expensive but you can move them across multiple bikes and for someone who's interested in tuning they're essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I've yet to see an A/F sensor that either doesn't cost as much as my bike, or doesn't require you to weld a bung into your exhaust pipe. Do these exist?

edit: Just saw that this MTX-L can be clamped to the end of the muffler, as an alternative to being welded in. Would it suit my needs?

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 25, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are DIY wideband kits still a thing, or have economies of scale rendered them useless?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I've yet to see an A/F sensor that either doesn't cost as much as my bike, or doesn't require you to weld a bung into your exhaust pipe. Do these exist?

edit: Just saw that this MTX-L can be clamped to the end of the muffler, as an alternative to being welded in. Would it suit my needs?

I used an innovate one on my DRZ courtesy of Motomind. It did require a bung but that's $5 for the bung and $10-20 at you local cheapy muffler shop.

Shoving it up the exhaust is an option but you gotta get it reasonably far up there.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
This may be a dumb question, but what do you do when you want to use it on another bike? Just go get the exhaust hole patched up? I mean if I did decide to get it attached.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

This may be a dumb question, but what do you do when you want to use it on another bike? Just go get the exhaust hole patched up? I mean if I did decide to get it attached.

The bung comes with a blank plug. Install plug and forget about it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Ah, neat. A/F sensor it is, in that case. Thanks!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
After hooking it up to a real charger (batt tender wasn't doing it apparently) I got the 636 started. Fired up ok, but it sounds BAD. Any idea what this could be? I triple checked everything while doing the valve shims and honestly, it'd be pretty hard to screw up timing since the crank gear and cams are both marked, so I'm thinking this is either timing chain being to tight or maybe cam chain tensioner? I reset the tensioner as per manual specs (all the way in and back out 5 clicks, and marked the timing chain as well before I took it off. It was pretty tight originally even after the tensioner was out.

Here's a vid of it running.

http://youtu.be/vDMoxm2xqBk

Edit: Adding a click to the cam chain tensioner quieted it down quite a bit and it seems to idle fine and rev normally. What's more is it starts after warming up, which is what it wouldn't do before the valve adjustment.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 25, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AncientTV posted:

Ah, neat. A/F sensor it is, in that case. Thanks!

Which one are you getting?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Probably that MTX I posted up. I've searched around a bit, and they have the best reviews for that price range.

edit: Mind you, some bad reviews are floating around, but it sounds like the reviewers installed them improperly and are crying about it.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 25, 2011

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Can someone recommend me a decent motorcycling magazine? Something that looks at motorcycling as a whole, including dirt bikes, hell maybe one that covers all two-wheeling including bicycles. What I do not want is a chopper chopper chopper magazine or one focussed on the GIXXER/BUSA crowd. Something well-balanced, like this forum. Does it exist? :ohdear:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Alright dudes. Help me search!

Apart from eBay, what are good safe alternatives to getting random parts that are used? I want find a MK2 (2001 and on) GSF600 NAKED top yoke/tripple/steering head whatever you want to call it. I need the naked yoke to be able to mount my clocks to the steering.

Bike bandit wants almost 250$ for this hunk of aluminum. eBay has various yokes from faired versions and the odd naked 1200 yoke (different fork size, no good) for 50-70$.

But I can't for the life of me find one that will fit my Bandit. Where else can I look?

Shipping to Canada is extremely helpful.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

After hooking it up to a real charger (batt tender wasn't doing it apparently) I got the 636 started. Fired up ok, but it sounds BAD. Any idea what this could be? I triple checked everything while doing the valve shims and honestly, it'd be pretty hard to screw up timing since the crank gear and cams are both marked, so I'm thinking this is either timing chain being to tight or maybe cam chain tensioner? I reset the tensioner as per manual specs (all the way in and back out 5 clicks, and marked the timing chain as well before I took it off. It was pretty tight originally even after the tensioner was out.

Here's a vid of it running.

http://youtu.be/vDMoxm2xqBk

Edit: Adding a click to the cam chain tensioner quieted it down quite a bit and it seems to idle fine and rev normally. What's more is it starts after warming up, which is what it wouldn't do before the valve adjustment.

Pull the valve cover and check that the timing hasn't jumped while it was loose.

Ziploc, I'll reship for you if you find a place that'll only ship to the US.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why can't I find the part in actual OEM part resellers? I know Naked MK2 Bandit 600s exist. They're on youtube and wikipedia. So Why doesn't any part retailer acknowledge their existence?

EDIT:

And when they list the 1200 at 43mm front fork and the 600 at 41mm. That for sure means I can't interchange upper triples right?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 26, 2011

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

stevobob posted:

Can someone recommend me a decent motorcycling magazine? Something that looks at motorcycling as a whole, including dirt bikes, hell maybe one that covers all two-wheeling including bicycles. What I do not want is a chopper chopper chopper magazine or one focussed on the GIXXER/BUSA crowd. Something well-balanced, like this forum. Does it exist? :ohdear:

It's not a paper mag but motorcycle-usa.com isn't bad. The paper mags are all Motor Trend-style 'advertising disguised as journalism' crud. In a pinch I like the British ones better (Bike? TWO? I forget) but they're really only expensive airport reading.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Why can't I find the part in actual OEM part resellers? I know Naked MK2 Bandit 600s exist. They're on youtube and wikipedia. So Why doesn't any part retailer acknowledge their existence?

EDIT:

And when they list the 1200 at 43mm front fork and the 600 at 41mm. That for sure means I can't interchange upper triples right?
You couldn't interchange 600/120 triples.
Are you sure you have the right years? Are the triples actually different or does the mount just go to holes that aren't used on the faired models?

stevobob posted:

I read performance bikes. IMO, it's the only print mag worth reading. 65 bucks a year from an online reseller, vs. the 120ish buying them from the newsstand. Id grab the link but I'm on my phone, list up if you want it.

No dirtbiking though. Just a really heavy focus on DIY and upgrading / tuning over buying the newest poo poo to hit the showroom. An enthusiast magazine, which is rare these days.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I go down to New York City all the time to hang out with my sister. At first I drove, but gas is expensive, tolls are expensive, and finding a parking spot is a hassle. Lately I take the train down but it easily doubles the trip time, and tickets ain't cheap either. I'd like to ride my bike down but I'm worried about parking it overnight. It's a new Speed Triple and I'll be in a reasonably decent residential part of Brooklyn without parking meters or painted spots. Illegal or no, is parking on the sidewalk to chain up to something going to be a given? What sort of chain/lock/whatever should I be looking at? Are Connecticut plates going to be a problem or should I be pulling them anyway?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

stevobob posted:

The best motorcycling magazine I have ever read is unfortunately in German.

I got an October issue of Motorrad thrown in with my last order from louis.de.

There's a bunch of really cool stuff, including a 6-page feature on the new Ducati 1199 Panigale engin, reviews of the new Kawasaki ZZR1400 and ER-6n among others, toolkit reviews, ride logs (including a Harley ride through Transylvania) and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Oh, and a 10-page feature on BMW haters and their reactions to actually riding a BMW instead of just whining about them on the internet :haw:

Advertising was pretty light, I though.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ziploc posted:

I'm 99% sure that 600 and 1200 upper triples are interchangeable. Both forks are slightly tapered, starting right below the upper triple. The 41mm vs 43mm are measurements for clip-ons below the triple. If you want exact measurements ask the poster right above me. He has a naked GSF600 Bandit.

Ask these guys for used parts shipped to Canada: http://www.rpm-cycle.com/product/TRPL039/95-suzuki-gsf600-gsf-600-upper-triple.html - I'm pretty sure their price won't be 250$

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 26, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

I read performance bikes. IMO, it's the only print mag worth reading. 65 bucks a year from an online reseller, vs. the 120ish buying them from the newsstand. Id grab the link but I'm on my phone, list up if you want it.

Shoot me that link, love PB mag.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Shoot me that link, love PB mag.

The online price is about $45/year between now and dec. 27. http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/motorcycles/performance-bikes-magazine.html

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Sir Cornelius posted:

The online price is about $45/year between now and dec. 27. http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/motorcycles/performance-bikes-magazine.html

At least two people paid $150. :aaa:

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Bikes/dp/B000FG5MV6

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Gnaghi posted:

At least two people paid $150. :aaa:

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Bikes/dp/B000FG5MV6

As usual it's astonishing what Google can save you for like 2 sec. worth of work. I realize a 100 bucks doesn't really matter for a lot of people (semi-including me), but I'm extraordinary cheap, so I use their brilliant search engine whenever I buy products.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want to subscribe, but the conversion between the GBP and the USD isn't in my favor. 45GBP is working out to $70, plus conversion fees and extra shipping with that first link.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You know those hush kits you can get for helmets? It's some sort of stretchy fabric which closes the space around the bottom of the helmet and kills 90% of the noise. Do they work with flip ups?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sir Cornelius posted:

I'm 99% sure that 600 and 1200 upper triples are interchangeable. Both forks are slightly tapered, starting right below the upper triple. The 41mm vs 43mm are measurements for clip-ons below the triple. If you want exact measurements ask the poster right above me. He has a naked GSF600 Bandit.

Ask these guys for used parts shipped to Canada: http://www.rpm-cycle.com/product/TRPL039/95-suzuki-gsf600-gsf-600-upper-triple.html - I'm pretty sure their price won't be 250$

MK1 600/1200 Bandits definitely have interchangeable uppers triples. They mounted the clocks to the steering for both faired and non-faired models.

There seem to be 4 different kinds of upper tripples for MK2 600/1200 Bandits. Which did not mount the clocks to the triples for the faired S versions.

There is the 600 faired upper with the bar mounts cast into the upper and no clock mounting points. (Easy to find second hand)

There is the 600 naked upper with the bar mounts cast into the upper but WITH clock mounts. (Can't for the life of me find one second hand)

There is the 1200 faired upper with the bar mounts bolted to the upper without clock mounts. (Easy to find second hand)

And finally the 1200 naked upper with bar mounts bolted to the upper WITH clock mounts. (Only a few floating around second hand)

Here is a 1200 upper (with bar mounts held on by bold instead of cast) off the bike where you can see the clock mount indent. There is also extra mounting holes underneath.

WHY SUZUKI WHY. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

You know those hush kits you can get for helmets? It's some sort of stretchy fabric which closes the space around the bottom of the helmet and kills 90% of the noise. Do they work with flip ups?

probably until you try to flip it up, but any one i ever looked at said they didn't work on the packet

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
So, I'm still a little nervous about riding at night in traffic. My bike is black, and so is my gear, although everything I have has some reflective bits.

Am I silly for putting one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Spider-Bike-Flasher-Red/dp/B0034IEBCS

on my license plate? It has a clip that slides right between the mount and the plate, so it won't fall off.

Can anyone think of any downsides to having a small blinking red light on your tail at night?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I may be talking out of my rear end here, but I thought motorized vehicles weren't allowed to have flashing lights that're the same colors that police use?

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

CombatMedic posted:

So, I'm still a little nervous about riding at night in traffic. My bike is black, and so is my gear, although everything I have has some reflective bits.

Am I silly for putting one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Spider-Bike-Flasher-Red/dp/B0034IEBCS

on my license plate? It has a clip that slides right between the mount and the plate, so it won't fall off.

Can anyone think of any downsides to having a small blinking red light on your tail at night?

You _might_ be mistaken as a bicyclist to someone not paying attention. But if they weren't paying attention, they wouldn't see you anyway, so.... :shepicide:

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

I've got a question. I FINALLY got my EX250 back from the mechanic's and I'm about to swap out all the Phillips bolts with hex ones. When I install the new bolts, I should use some grease, right? I have a nice big tub of Park Tool PollyLube 1000 that should be OK.

e: Should I grease the bolts holding the gas cap as well?

Fixed Gear Guy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 26, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I'm not sure why you'd want to use grease on bolts. The only thing I ever greased was axles.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Gnaghi posted:

I'm not sure why you'd want to use grease on bolts. The only thing I ever greased was axles.

On bicycles, bolts are generally greased to prevent prohibit semi-permanent bonding due to exposure and rust. I'm surprised that's not the case with motorcycles.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Usually I'll just check the shop manual, which should specify if a bolt needs either anti-seize or threadlock. I'd be wary of greasing bolts that don't specifically call for it since it could allow them to loosen or change torque values even.

I've got another question myself. I got my 636 back together (again). Cam chain looked fine to me and I clicked the tensioner in two extra clicks (once, then started it and listened, then one more). The bike sounds normal, but now I have a whine coming from the cam chain.

http://youtu.be/gLzTwChNm4E

It seems like a lot of kawi riders have the same engine whine and say it's normal, with one saying it means the cam chain is about to fail. Can I finally ride this thing or do I need to rip it apart once more? :confused:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

On bicycles, bolts are generally greased to prevent prohibit semi-permanent bonding due to exposure and rust. I'm surprised that's not the case with motorcycles.

It is the case, just make sure you're using a grease with anti-seize properties. Some universal greases that are perfectly suitable for bicycles turn in to cement when used in higher temperature applications. But any grease can help prevent corrosion in dissimilar metal situations, such as a steel bolt/screw in aluminium housing situation, which is very common on motorcycles. On the other hand, it can help lubricate the threads in the same dissimilar metal interface and make you torque a bolt to a higher effective tension than spec, distorting the aluminium threads and destroying the life of you and your heirs.

Short answer: don't go nuts with it, use copper grease in high temp areas.

cregets
Nov 21, 2002

Does anyone have any input on the Yamaha Stryker?

It was a new model for 2011 and they have just rolled out the 2012 and have some good deals on financing. I was looking at getting a nice black one, but because they are so new, I am having a hard time finding any good info about them that doesn't come from a magazine or someone who could be bought off.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Totally custom before you customize it"

Apart from the oxymoron, given the warranty of a new bike I'd say you can't go wrong. If you like it, go for it.

cregets
Nov 21, 2002

Ola posted:

"Totally custom before you customize it"

Apart from the oxymoron, given the warranty of a new bike I'd say you can't go wrong. If you like it, go for it.

Yeah, I saw that, ha, and I hate how you can "customize" bikes from the factory too.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Sorry for the second newbie question in one night, but I need help! When I paid for my bike earlier today, the mechanics started it up just gingerly. They left it in the parking lot and I picked it up 3 hours later. I tried to start it on the lot but when the engine starts it revs up to over 5k, and it doesn't seem to back down at all. I tried it with the choke off and it idled under 1k and then died (not surprising), but even at medium choke the revs are crazy.

e: I think I was using the choke backwards. Away from you is full ON, and toward you is full OFF!? What kind of poo poo is that? All of the MSF bikes had the choke enabled when it was closest to you.

Fixed Gear Guy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Thanks for the info on the magazines and the link to Motorcycle-USA guys, I appreciate it :)