Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ratbert90 posted:

:yotj: in Holland Michigan!

Hope you enjoy lake effect and tulips!

Welcome, new Michigoon. :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

totalnewbie posted:

To be honest, sometimes, having an email address in the sig pays off, as someone WAS in the email chain but no longer and thus you only see "Doe, John" and no email address.

My hobby: editing small bits of email content in massive email chains when responding/forwarding.

Like, changing a guys email signature from "Richard" to "Dick", for example.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

ratbert90 posted:

Congrats, I am not far away in Grand Rapids.

Hope you like tourists during the summer and snow during the winter because that's going to be about all you get. Oh yeah the Latin gangs too but they busted a bunch of those the last few years so it is a rebuilding time right now.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Printer vendor gave us updated drivers to use. Despite setting up the preferences like we had on the old setup, print jobs were spitting out immediately rather than going to the proper mailboxes and poo poo. Checked multiple times, sure enough, we've got it set to Hold on the page that we've always used to set them that way.

Turns out there's a new button for a printer defaults window where you have to make the changes for them to stick.

What does the first page, the one that used to do that, that page that's always applied default settings, do now? Who the gently caress knows!
Why did they introduce new menus for absolutely no new functionality? Who the gently caress knows!

:thumbsup:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

nitrogen posted:

Most of my vendors that I deal with are decent people that aren't too annoying.

Every once in a while, though, the cage to the zoo opens and something like this runs out:

The email itself was about as long as the sig, but full of broken image links to C:\USERS\[thisusername\EMAILS\EMAILBLAST\IMAGE.jpg

HAHAHA. I could already guess that was a Dell signature just by the format.
Mine's pretty bad as well, but only because I had to.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Oh no, I agree 100% I just never though of it as cruise control. This is also occurred to me in the past.

It's very office space like. That zen moment when you realize you don't actually have to give a poo poo and you start doing just enough to not get fired.

Of course you should be looking for another job at this point as well. You are still being proactive, just not in the way they would like.

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Printer vendor gave us updated drivers to use. Despite setting up the preferences like we had on the old setup, print jobs were spitting out immediately rather than going to the proper mailboxes and poo poo. Checked multiple times, sure enough, we've got it set to Hold on the page that we've always used to set them that way.

Turns out there's a new button for a printer defaults window where you have to make the changes for them to stick.

What does the first page, the one that used to do that, that page that's always applied default settings, do now? Who the gently caress knows!
Why did they introduce new menus for absolutely no new functionality? Who the gently caress knows!

:thumbsup:

Are you sure you're not confusing printing preferences (local user) and printing defaults (settings for users connected to shared printer).

http://superuser.com/questions/281980/what-is-the-difference-between-preferences-and-printing-defaults-on-printer

Sometimes setting it in one area changes it for both but always worth checking settings in both areas. It's a windows thing and not a print vendor thing.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Strat posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing printing preferences (local user) and printing defaults (settings for users connected to shared printer).

http://superuser.com/questions/281980/what-is-the-difference-between-preferences-and-printing-defaults-on-printer

Sometimes setting it in one area changes it for both but always worth checking settings in both areas. It's a windows thing and not a print vendor thing.

We were making the changes logged in as the user in question, so unless I'm really missing something there it should have been fine with just changing in preferences.

Still, I did not know that was a windows-wide thing. First time I've ever had that actually be an issue, so I guess I learned something today!

(sidenote I would kill for some actual decent print management here rather than the ramshackle setup we have :negative:)

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 21, 2015

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

ratbert90 posted:

Along with others, welcome to Michigan. I'm about an hour north of Grand Rapids.

Also as others have said, I hope you enjoy lots and lots of snow and pretty tulips.

You said your job starts in June. If at all possible, try to be in Holland after the 9th of May, as the Tulip Time festival is the 2nd to the 9th, and trying to get anywhere in town during that is a traffic nightmare.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I came in this morning, and a coworker was asking for help. He wanted to know if I had admin access, and if he ended up needing help, I could login and work with him. I don't have the current password, so I asked my manager. He decided to interrogate me on why, and how this person didn't need to know it. I told him that he I was just trying to help, and figured that since we manage the device. He just repeated himself and told me to have the other guy call him.

He can't be the hero that solves everything is anyone else has this info I guess. I know someone else mentioned this here, but I feel like we are the mushroom department, we are kept in the dark and fed poo poo.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I'll be spending the day wrangling 2008 Hyper-V, and Xerox Printers.

gently caress!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just fired off one of those scathing "if this catches the right person in the wrong mood, that could be my job" emails - but you know what? Had to be said. Fire me, by all means.

The long and the short of my email was this: "I've been reporting this for weeks and no one responsible for it has said a word and no one in management seems to care. I guess you're going to care a lot more when that datacenter goes hard down, but I am done with this issue." (edit: believe it or not this is somehow NICER than what I said in the email, heh)

I swear to god if I get a call that "we need you on a conference call, we just lost an entire datacenter", I'm going to be all "know how my contract says each side is free to terminate this agreement at any time? it has been a pleasure, thank you for the opportunity."

---

e: A second issue, this was from a week ago but it still chafes me because it's just the perfect "we're focusing on the wrong things" moment.

Management is excited because we (when I say we, I mean it was done without me) purchased new monitoring software with a very big name. For some reason I will not say the name, because I think one day I'll provide that last piece of evidence that will cause a co-worker to realize who I am and provide all of these posts to my director. Anyway, this piece of monitoring software was written within the last 30 years, so it has the ability to provide daily reports. This is apparently new and exciting to a lot of directors and C-levels. Here's the takeaway. 1) We have a monitoring solution in place which is perfectly fine. It provides reports already. They go to everyone who needs them. None of these people are C-level, because you don't need to know about the CPU utilization of the domain controller. You want a report? Have one, I'll put you on the distro, who cares. But 2) Everyone is so excited about this new monitoring software, because it can do things such as query hard drive utilization and send email alerts. The hell? Put aside what I mentioned before, that we already have software which does this, but what do you want, a cookie? Congratulations, you spent over $100,000 on something I could do with 5 minutes on Google, Powershell, and a scheduled task.

These two complaints kinda go hand in hand and you can see why I am frustrated in the first one. I am shouting into the wind about a potentially catastrophic problem in one of our datacenters. "Yeah but Stripe, check out how this tells you if a service is running!" No, listen, seriously, our Ohio datacenter is about to fall into the sea. "Yeah but, memory utilization! The bars on the graph change if it's too high!"

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 21, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I just fired off one of those scathing "if this catches the right person in the wrong mood, that could be my job" emails - but you know what? Had to be said. Fire me, by all means.

The long and the short of my email was this: "I've been reporting this for weeks and no one responsible for it has said a word and no one in management seems to care. I guess you're going to care a lot more when that datacenter goes hard down, but I am done with this issue." (edit: believe it or not this is somehow NICER than what I said in the email, heh)

I swear to god if I get a call that "we need you on a conference call, we just lost an entire datacenter", I'm going to be all "know how my contract says each side is free to terminate this agreement at any time? it has been a pleasure, thank you for the opportunity."

---

e: A second issue, this was from a week ago but it still chafes me because it's just the perfect "we're focusing on the wrong things" moment.

Management is excited because we (when I say we, I mean it was done without me) purchased new monitoring software with a very big name. For some reason I will not say the name, because I think one day I'll provide that last piece of evidence that will cause a co-worker to realize who I am and provide all of these posts to my director. Anyway, this piece of monitoring software was written within the last 30 years, so it has the ability to provide daily reports. This is apparently new and exciting to a lot of directors and C-levels. Here's the takeaway. 1) We have a monitoring solution in place which is perfectly fine. It provides reports already. They go to everyone who needs them. None of these people are C-level, because you don't need to know about the CPU utilization of the domain controller. You want a report? Have one, I'll put you on the distro, who cares. But 2) Everyone is so excited about this new monitoring software, because it can do things such as query hard drive utilization and send email alerts. The hell? Put aside what I mentioned before, that we already have software which does this, but what do you want, a cookie? Congratulations, you spent over $100,000 on something I could do with 5 minutes on Google, Powershell, and a scheduled task.

These two complaints kinda go hand in hand and you can see why I am frustrated in the first one. I am shouting into the wind about a potentially catastrophic problem in one of our datacenters. "Yeah but Stripe, check out how this tells you if a service is running!" No, listen, seriously, our Ohio datacenter is about to fall into the sea. "Yeah but, memory utilization! The bars on the graph change if it's too high!"

And let me guess, there is no event management process to speak of to identify and remedy stuff based on those reports, right?
They're used to document the fire of the day with not a thought to fire prevention?
"We totally opened an incident 5 minutes before the customer first called us about this! We're proactive! Events!"
Never mind the incident being preventable and easily predicted based on trending events...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
When the secondary firewall fails too, Ima put a real pretty graph together showing bandwidth utilization at that datacenter.

Steady, steady, steady, crater.

I swear I could show some people a graph of bandwidth utilization and they'd be like "oh that's interesting, traffic seems to peak around 3pm and really starts to taper off after 9pm", and I'd be like "yeah I was more talking about how we've been at 0b/s for 6 hours because we're hard down". Just, looking at the wrong things people. Wrong things.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 21, 2015

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
poo poo pissing me off: Dell.

There has been three attempted pickups, and all of them have failed.

The first one was because I forgot to bring in the laptop, full stop.

but... (and a second laptop was added into this step)

The second one was because they didn't give me a pickup date, AT ALL.
The third one was because they gave me the WRONG pick up date.

I'm not going to have $4000 of laptops (yes, plural), sitting in the boot of my car, for an indeterminate amount of time. If someone says to me, "we're having it picked up on X date", you best make it loving CLEAR that it will get picked up on X date. I asked on the phone five times. Come the gently caress on. If they mentioned "oh, we don't actually know when it'll get picked up" - at least say it.

I'm going to have an aneurysm at this loving rate.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

When the secondary firewall fails too, Ima put a real pretty graph together showing bandwidth utilization at that datacenter.

Steady, steady, steady, crater.

I swear I could show some people a graph of bandwidth utilization and they'd be like "oh that's interesting, traffic seems to peak around 3pm and really starts to taper off after 9pm", and I'd be like "yeah I was more talking about how we've been at 0b/s for 6 hours because we're hard down". Just, looking at the wrong things people. Wrong things.

Want to make them hate the new monitoring software? Just go in and put the all-c-level-and-above distro group in for all alerts. Soon they will be asking to be taken off the list. Then when no one is on the list anymore ask them why they bought it.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

CitizenKain posted:

He can't be the hero that solves everything is anyone else has this info I guess. I know someone else mentioned this here, but I feel like we are the mushroom department, we are kept in the dark and fed poo poo.

Sounds like you won't be able to work during emergency hours if they refuse to trust you with the requisite information.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Trastion posted:

Want to make them hate the new monitoring software? Just go in and put the all-c-level-and-above distro group in for all alerts. Soon they will be asking to be taken off the list. Then when no one is on the list anymore ask them why they bought it.

I like the cut of your jib.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If Banner is so important to our workplace, and Banner insist on having an old out of date version of java to work, then put the program on a virtual machine somewhere where you can control IE and Firefox's attempts at blocking java from running. I hate being stuck in the middle between some enterprise piece of software insisting on using some out of date version of java and all the web browsers trying to be security minded and blocking them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Coredump posted:

If Banner is so important to our workplace, and Banner insist on having an old out of date version of java to work, then put the program on a virtual machine somewhere where you can control IE and Firefox's attempts at blocking java from running. I hate being stuck in the middle between some enterprise piece of software insisting on using some out of date version of java and all the web browsers trying to be security minded and blocking them.

Dude, try having to work with a Healthcare broker who has to have 3 different browsers for different client websites, have to have various versions of java to support the various applications they have, etc. All while trying to wrangle the place into a HIPPA compliance.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Dude, try having to work with a Healthcare broker who has to have 3 different browsers for different client websites, have to have various versions of java to support the various applications they have, etc. All while trying to wrangle the place into a HIPPA compliance.

What was the banned catchphrase from E/N.. something something kill. ADP pulls this poo poo with us too and its rear end. The thing is, for our situation it seems a solution to make everyone's life easier is within reach, but no one want to implement it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My boss calls me and will tell me he's going to send me an email about something, and if I don't cut him off, he will literally just sit on the phone with me while he finishes the email and sends it (e: and just to be clear, this can take up to ten minutes, I don't mean he's adding his signature block), then tell me about the email while I read it.

Look dude, I make a number higher than the guy at McDonald's, and less than we'd pay a consulting CCIE - is this really how you care to use my time?

It is really just about the only real power a sys admin has - I do one thing at a time. If there's 3 emergencies, well I guess you should have planned better. So if I get a call from a person who wants me to listen to them type, understand that that is my job, and it pays comparatively well as far as "listening to other people do things while you surf the net" positions go.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 21, 2015

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Gyshall posted:

Are you sure you rebooted?

Yes.

Are you absolutely sure you rebooted?

Yes.

Is that your final answer?

Well uh

It's weird, most of my users take what I say as gospel to the point where they restart the machine for EVERYTHING;
"Blah blah my Outlook is giving an error message"
"Ok just restart the program and I'll be over in a minute"
*User closes down everything and goes to restart computer*
*Turns out they ran a bad shortcut*

A lot of people just don't understand to reload things that don't work, even when the network scan function on our Xerox machine doesn't load the recipient list, it doesnt occur to people to just go back to the main menu and reload the scan function.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My boss calls me and will tell me he's going to send me an email about something, and if I don't cut him off, he will literally just sit on the phone with me while he finishes the email and sends it (e: and just to be clear, this can take up to ten minutes, I don't mean he's adding his signature block), then tell me about the email while I read it.

Look dude, I make a number higher than the guy at McDonald's, and less than we'd pay a consulting CCIE - is this really how you care to use my time?

It is really just about the only real power a sys admin has - I do one thing at a time. If there's 3 emergencies, well I guess you should have planned better. So if I get a call from a person who wants me to listen to them type, understand that that is my job, and it pays comparatively well as far as "listening to other people do things while you surf the net" positions go.

A colleague of mine tried to get me to stay on the phone while he rolled a cigarette.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

icehewk posted:

Sounds like you won't be able to work during emergency hours if they refuse to trust you with the requisite information.

We pretty much don't any more since that would cut into his hero/martyr image he makes. He wants to come out in late in the morning and go to the CIO saying "look at those hours I put in, but I got it working." It's like he wants to burn out.

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

I don't think that this has been stress enough but

gently caress.printers!

e: Jesus, didn't know that printers had the ability to make someone so mad that they forgot how to spell.

Seriously though, gently caress printers

Kornjaca fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 22, 2015

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Che Delilas posted:

How to lose your best people in one easy step.txt

The saga continues.

Dear workers/VPs/managers in other departments:

When we're addressing issues in a meeting, and I'm in the same room, at the same table as you, mouthing "Bullshit" and miming shooting yourself in the head as my supervisors are explaining why your perfect, physics-breaking technology utopia can't exist, is probably not a good way to convey the proper impression to me and my department.

You're goddamned right I relayed that incognito feedback to my supervisors. I don't care about your feelings. Fuckers.

:edit: The adversarial attitude here is really starting to get to me, if you haven't noticed. :smith:

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 22, 2015

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Kornjaca posted:

gently caress.printers!

I just got to see a local hockey game on HP's dime so... eh, printers.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

I'm torn between telling you to get out now and wanting to hear about the sweet schadenfreude that occurs after your entire department bails.

Also I feel like this thread needs a :yotj:/:bandwagon: combo emote, possibly with a :smith: left behind.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Boss wanders by asking if I've contacted the vendors for this control software to manage HVAC systems. I told him that I have, but I haven't heard back from them. Since its been all of 2 hours on one them, this isn't exactly worrying. He nods and wanders off. He comes back 15 minutes later, asks again, I tell him they still haven't. He says I'll need to keep up on them to get the information, and to call them back ASAP, then wanders off again.

He seems to think badgering people is the best way to do things, no matter how insignificant something is. I'd rather work with these guys, that way they'll be more up for helping us out in the future.

What is fun about this is that I need to collect info on whatever software they have, find out what ports it needs, hand it off to our citrix group to install it, then configure the firewall so it can reached from our citrix farm. I would think our applications group would do the first part, while our firewall would handle the second, but apparently the "other duties as assigned" clause is stretching out.
Yet another project he took on to look good in front of other managers. At least this time I don't have to drive 1400 miles to take pictures of signs.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kornjaca posted:

gently caress.printers!

e: Jesus, didn't know that printers had the ability to make someone so mad that they forgot how to spell.

Seriously though, gently caress printers

We just switched to a managed print service and charged the departments that want to keep wasting heaps of money on paper and toner for the services directly. The MSP produced a believable sales pitch study our paper-hungry departments accepted as truth. It was monstrously generous in favor of the cost effectiveness of their solution, but hey, I don't need to tell them that.

"I'm sorry you're having issues with the printer. The phone number for [msp company] on a sticker on the lid."

*drops mic*

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Today I learned that my company may not support EMV, at least not by October, because... They're not too worried about it, I guess. According to what I heard, they (we) would only be liable for charge backs and they don't get too many charebacks. That's not my understanding of how it will work, but I wasn't going to argue (and maybe I'm wrong).

Also apparently this year they're tokenizing payments, so that sounds like fun. I'm sure it won't have any problems, especially the part where three different vendors have to work together. (if/when it works it sounds cool though)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

myron cope posted:

Today I learned that my company may not support EMV, at least not by October, because... They're not too worried about it, I guess. According to what I heard, they (we) would only be liable for charge backs and they don't get too many charebacks. That's not my understanding of how it will work, but I wasn't going to argue (and maybe I'm wrong).

Also apparently this year they're tokenizing payments, so that sounds like fun. I'm sure it won't have any problems, especially the part where three different vendors have to work together. (if/when it works it sounds cool though)

Tokenization is awesome and is intended in part for exactly that scenario.

Rz666
Jan 31, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off: Oracle Service Cloud Chat

Fixed that for you. Everything they run is poo poo:
SQL+, Apex, Database: Null == "", etc.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Lightning Jim posted:

There's a reason that my alma mater switched from Blackboard to their own system. Yes, they decided to switch to an in-house web application for registration
Which was a pain in the rear end the first couple of years when poo poo looked and acted like it was written by undergrads. Which it was. Registration was a pain during couple of years.

How topical, a student just complained in the student newspaper about how they "deserver a better blackboard" and "the university doesn't use blackboard to it's fullest potential". Listen kid: IT is understaffed and even if they could spare a few people to update and maintain blackboard, you'd be screaming at tutors about how they aren't using it correctly.

Just get your degree and then you get to complain about sharepoint in your shiny new job.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doesn't BlackBoard offer a service similar to O365? Move to that.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
gently caress clients who refuse to upgrade their ancient hardware still running Windows XP because "it works fine"

They called with "We can't remote to our terminal services server!". Of course you can't, you're running XP SP2 with Terminal Services Client 5.1 :negative:

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 22, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone who thinks windows XP is "just fine" in TYOOL 2015 should have their IT license revoked.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Anyone who thinks windows XP is "just fine" in TYOOL 2015 should have their IT license revoked.

I completely agree

We are a company that offer services to those clients who, for one reason or another, do not have in-house IT.

We can advise them to upgrade their hardware, we can shout at them that they have gaping holes in their security, but ultimately, it's their decision to make.

The biggest problem with this particular client is that there is a guy who thinks he is "good with computers" who will go about shouting "What's wrong with this ancient machine it has whole 192MB of RAM!"

Thankfully, I rarely make contact with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The best feeling the past 2 years was charging clients more than their lovely programs-that-needed-to-run-on-XP-because-they-never-upgraded-in-10-years were worth to move all their XP machines to either virtual infrastructure, or to segregate their XP machines onto their own VLANs with no internet access.

also one of my new clients I was working at yesterday has a 2003 domain controller with 256 gigs of ram and a pentium 3 oh god. And also a windows 2000 workstation running their most important LOB program too