Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xarthor posted:

Another quality entry to WikiFeet!
:yeshaha:

reminder (that was probably how almost all of us discovered that wikifeet is a thing):

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/09/wikifeet-how-online-foot-fetishists-debunked-alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-fake-nude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pointing out that an electorate keeps electing war criminals and fascists isn't antisemitism. It's just true.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fun fact: Dukakis got 45.6% of the vote, Trump got 46.1% of the vote, barely beating him out

The Electoral college is stupid

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

glowing-fish posted:

Ten years ago, five nations, and several US States, recognized same gender marriage, but it was still impossible in most of the world, and it still wasn't a "mainstream" political position in the United States.

I always find it hilarious that people hold up gay marriage as a "will of the people" argument, when the decision stands as a scathing indictment of democracy: it was enacted by supreme fiat, over the objections of the then majority of the US population. It became only "majority accepted" as people learned to live with the new reality forcibly imposed on them, not the other way around.

The gay marriage decision is the best positive argument in recent history in favor of benevolent dictatorship over representative democracy.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Pointing out that an electorate keeps electing war criminals and fascists isn't antisemitism. It's just true.

:thejoke:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If I remember right the George Bush photo op was showcasing the mass introduction of UPCs

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember right the George Bush photo op was showcasing the mass introduction of UPCs

yeah, it was a super fancy (for the time) checkout counter at like some grocery technology expo which was probably legit impressive to an older man but it was easy to cast it as "out of touch rich man discovers the miracles of grocery shopping"

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The gay marriage decision is the best positive argument in recent history in favor of benevolent dictatorship over representative democracy.

Don't let America's form of government give representative democracy a bad name.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

it was enacted by supreme fiat, over the objections of the then majority of the US population. It became only "majority accepted" as people learned to live with the new reality forcibly imposed on them, not the other way around.

Wrong.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I always find it hilarious that people hold up gay marriage as a "will of the people" argument, when the decision stands as a scathing indictment of democracy: it was enacted by supreme fiat, over the objections of the then majority of the US population. It became only "majority accepted" as people learned to live with the new reality forcibly imposed on them, not the other way around.

You’re completely wrong. 2015 polls had ~60% national support for SSM.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

If your democracy really worked, civil rights wouldn't be up for a vote...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

cgeq posted:

Don't let America's form of government give representative democracy a bad name.

The UK’s version is somehow doing worse.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crackbone posted:

You’re completely wrong. 2015 polls had ~60% national support for SSM.

i hate agreeing with any part of anything kerning chameleon says but the relevant numbers would be in 2003, when it was more like a 40-60 split the other direction

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

eight days left :getin:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also, France, Japan, Australia, Poland, maybe Switzerland...

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i hate agreeing with any part of anything kerning chameleon says but the relevant numbers would be in 2003, when it was more like a 40-60 split the other direction

?
I assumed Obergefell v. Hodges was what the poster was referencing. What in 2003 are you referring to?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

SSM was legalized nationwide in 2015. What in 2003 would he have been talking about?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Crackbone posted:

SSM was legalized nationwide in 2015. What in 2003 would he have been talking about?

Legalized in Massachusetts

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

luxury handset posted:

pretty good photo montage linked from that politico article about bad presidential photo ops

I hope the species that replaces us understand that optics shouldnt matter in a skill based job.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1107669146605637632

:bisonyes:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What were the numbers like in Mass?

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 20, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

fishing with the fam posted:

?
I assumed Obergefell v. Hodges was what the poster was referencing. What in 2003 are you referring to?

gently caress, i had a total brainfart and rolled with Lawrence v Texas :saddowns:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

wait no definitely that, that's a better cover

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Party Plane Jones posted:

Jesus Christ they've only been around since the late 80's?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

on the plus side now i don't agree with kc anymore, whew

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Even then he would have been wrong. 2003 polls in the state had ~50/45 split in favor.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Man, the fact that Brits use "tabling" to mean the exact opposite of what Americans do really throws me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

50% for 38% against right after the decision, sort of

http://archive.boston.com/news/local/articles/2003/11/23/50_in_poll_back_sjc_ruling_on_gay_marriage/

(some of the againsts might be against the DECISION rather than against gay marriage)

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Edit: ^^^ That'll work.

Crackbone posted:

Even then he would have been wrong. 2003 polls in the state had ~50/45 split in favor.

Do you have a link to this? I was trying to find state specific polling data from 2003, but was coming up empty.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Has May gone to EU to beg for an extension yet?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The EU isn’t giving another extension without some guarantee of a second referendum or a new election.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1108462855362437122

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The EU isn’t giving another extension without some guarantee of a second referendum or a new election.

I wish there were a way for this to fail spectacularly but ONLY affect the people who voted to leave the EU in the first place.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

In today's episode of "Missing the Forest For The Trees"

https://twitter.com/gillibrandny/status/1106678027042385921?s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I am agreeing with way too much stuff Trump is saying today with the McCain bashing

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

You could argue that more people voted against Bibi than voted for him but because of the way the government is formed with coalitions and splinter parties it muddies the waters. The sad fact is that Israel no longer has a strong left leaning party like they did in the past so it is all varying degrees of right wing arsholes working together.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1108457322832117760

Wasn't Krysten Sinema a loving Green Party Anti War Activist?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

CuddleCryptid posted:

In today's episode of "Missing the Forest For The Trees"

https://twitter.com/gillibrandny/status/1106678027042385921?s=19

It’s like an old country buffet full of squishy centrists seeing who can deliver the most ineffective policy proposals.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trump hates McCain for all the wrong reasons so you really shouldn’t give him any credit.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1108457322832117760

Wasn't Krysten Sinema a loving Green Party Anti War Activist?

Yep. There are definitely cynical careerists in left spaces. It sucks but money and power corrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump hates McCain for all the wrong reasons so you really shouldn’t give him any credit.

It’s wild because it ends up putting centrist Dems in the box of defending the memory of a craven warmongering aristocrat.

I mean, aside from all the other craven warmongering aristocrats they run for President.