Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I don't remember this one. What's the larger context to this?

edit: poo poo, tax
https://i.imgur.com/SHvK3bc.mp4

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

It is. There's no way it can be enforced, especially on private campuses, and any lawyer worth his salt is going to beat it like a rented mule in court.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Lycus posted:

We already know Bernie does decorum stuff. There's no surprise there.

Imagine having friends and comrades and being able to see past the petty political bullshit at the end of the day to basic humanity. Imagine the POTUS was like that. I love how super mad much of USPOL is that there are people that would defend a literal dead guy that they knew and probably had some good times with despite being on opposite sides of the party aisle.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Biden might pull a Ted Cruz and announce his VP when he announces he is running for president.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1108699298018017280

I would think Stacey Abrams would get some say in it, and I assume she doesn't want to commit political suicide

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Stacey Abrams has to know that doing this will make her popularity plummet with the people who are her biggest supporters, right?

I know that "biden is centrism satan" is hugely strongly held here, and It's even correct. But is disliking biden even a thing outside of small internet circles? It looks like he's mid 50s favorable and low 30s unfavorable with the public. Which looks like it's as good as any other person running. It doesn't seem like aligning with a relatively popular politician would "plummet" her popularity even if it means a small demographic liked her less.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

This is why the Dems keep losing

quote:

Also under discussion is a possible pledge to serve only one term and framing Mr. Biden’s 2020 campaign as a one-time rescue mission for a beleaguered country, according to multiple party officials.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kale posted:

Imagine having friends and comrades and being able to see past the petty political bullshit at the end of the day to basic humanity. Imagine the POTUS was like that. I love how super mad much of USPOL is that there are people that would defend a literal dead guy that they knew and probably had some good times with despite being on opposite sides of the party aisle.

you're extremely on the wrong side here lmao

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I know that "biden is centrism satan" is hugely strongly held here, and It's even correct. But is disliking biden even a thing outside of small internet circles? It looks like he's mid 50s favorable and low 30s unfavorable with the public. Which looks like it's as good as any other person running. It doesn't seem like aligning with a relatively popular politician would "plummet" her popularity even if it means a small demographic liked her less.

Biden has not announced, and people who are not running for anything rarely if ever suffer from low approval ratings. Plus, the people who are plugged in are the ones who determine who the nominee will be, not the blithering olds who go "Oh that Joe Biden's such a nice young man, I think he should be President"

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 21, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Yeah it being stupid is obvious, it's Trump. But US automakers are already starting to pull way back and Ford, the one company to not need a bailout during the last downturn, is the sickest patient this time around and has been in a bit of a death spiral for over a year now. That "we're killing all our cars" announcement has not gone well since and they're looking at big layoffs already. More broadly though, the smoke and mirrors used in recent years to keep the sales bonanza going on the back of cheap auto loan debt is long gone and every forecast, tariffs aside, was already showing a big sales slowdown looming (and already happening). This will surely hasten that, bigly.

EDIT

Mostly this is because tariffs have affected things you use to make cars too, so prices of US cars won't drop or anything, even if he also slaps tariffs on BMW and Mercedes, etc.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 21, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It is. There's no way it can be enforced, especially on private campuses, and any lawyer worth his salt is going to beat it like a rented mule in court.

I'd imagine DARPA and other Defense Department research programs are going to have a say in this,.

Also, smart campuses would schedule counterprogramming for controversial speakers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Today is the first day of spring so sometime today we'll be closing this wintry hellscape and opening up USPOL Spring.

you'll probably want to update your bookmarks accordingly etc etc

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Awwwww.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Party Plane Jones posted:

Today is the first day of spring so sometime today we'll be closing this wintry hellscape and opening up USPOL Spring.

USPOL Spring: Springtime for Orange Hitler

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kale posted:

McCain was a ghoul whose decisions directly led to the death of tens of thousands during his career. The issue with him isn't "being on opposite sides of the party aisle".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if those tariffs would affect foreign cars assembled in the US. I wonder this because I work at Hyundai.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VH4Ever posted:

Spring Forward to Fascism

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

I welcome the sweet release of thread death

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kale posted:

This isn't the :iceburn: you think it is.

McCain is responsible for mass death in both the US and abroad as a result of the polices he's pushed and the wars he's been a cheerleader for.

You're just showing your rear end here.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

this is a good one

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Why the gently caress would we want to give up he incumbency advantage? loving stupid rear end centrists.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

this is a good one

Why thank you! This is like the first time I was able to do that on the spot so I'm glad it seems good to others.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1108715869105020930?s=19

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Uh... This might be a thing. I remember reading a few years ago about a hantavirus outbreak in southern USA (I think..?). Quick google...

"Wiki's page on Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome posted:

Prodromal symptoms are flu-like ones, such as fever, cough, myalgia, headache, lethargy, and shortness of breath, which rapidly deteriorates into acute respiratory failure. It is characterized by the sudden onset of shortness of breath with rapidly evolving pulmonary edema; it is often fatal despite mechanical ventilation and intervention with potent diuretics. It has a fatality rate of 36%.
It's not person-to-person transmissable, (usually being spread through rodent poop inhaled in dry/dusty environments) and neither the Sin Nombre outbreak or any other North American outbreaks have involved other organs failing as far as I can remember or find, but it has happened in Asia with closely related viruses of the same family.

"Wiki's page on Hantavirus hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome posted:

The course of the illness can be split into five phases:

Febrile phase
Symptoms include redness of cheeks and nose, fever, chills, sweaty palms, diarrhea, malaise, headaches, nausea, abdominal and back pain, respiratory problems such as the ones common in the influenza virus, as well as gastro-intestinal problems. These symptoms normally occur for three to seven days and arise about two to three weeks after exposure.
Hypotensive phase
This occurs when the blood platelet levels drop and symptoms can lead to tachycardia and hypoxemia. This phase can last for 2 days.
Oliguric phase
This phase lasts for three to seven days and is characterised by the onset of renal failure and proteinuria.
Diuretic phase
This is characterized by diuresis of three to six litres per day, which can last for a couple of days up to weeks.
Convalescent phase
This is normally when recovery occurs and symptoms begin to improve.
This syndrome can also be fatal. In some cases, it has been known to cause permanent renal failure
---
HFRS is difficult to diagnose on clinical grounds alone and serological evidence is often needed...
... HFRS should be suspected in patients with acute febrile flu-like illness, kidney failure of unknown origin and sometimes liver dysfunction
I'm sure the CDC will be loo...

... oh.

gently caress.
--------------

Esplanade posted:

Okay, I got this.

This is god's work... truly amazing. :golfclap:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

Why the gently caress would we want to give up he incumbency advantage? loving stupid rear end centrists.

A one-term pledge could easily be walked back within a couple years of inauguration. "Too much has happened", "can't change horses mid-stream", etc.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1108725854627119105

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Are candidates talking about SC term limits too? It seems that would be a less drastic step that would result in a Court that more reflects the times, and less likely to result in retaliatory packing when the DNC runs a centrist and the youngsters lose interest in the midterms and the GOP takes it all back again.

No, because lifetime appointments to the Supreme Court are written into the Constitution*, but the size of the court is set through ordinary legislation. Term limits might be less drastic as an outcome, but the bar you need to overcome to get the change in place is unrealistically high.

*Technically, it's "during good behavior" rather than explicitly for life - but it's currently understood to mean for life barring impeachment, and if there's a disagreement, guess who gets to decide?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Something something it's always projection with Republicans something fascism.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Jealous Cow posted:

i mean if it leads to vice president stacey abrams getting a clear shot at the presidency in '24...

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1108662634243678208?s=19

Lets just take a moment and appreciate a non dumpster fire leader

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"How is AOC so good at questions?"

*pretend I posted the dozen articles about AOC actually reading the briefings that committee staff put together, getting her staffers to research additional questions, actually preparing ahead of time in a way that is considered basic part of job duties in any other career but is somehow notable in Congress*

"Must be North Korean brainwashing."

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

What the blue gently caress is this nonsense, papa Kush. Please tell me this means that Mueller's kicking down the door in like 3 days.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VH4Ever posted:

Something something it's always projection with Republicans something fascism.

he got that idea from a youtube video lmao. the republican party and the pepes are the same.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

TARDISman posted:

What the blue gently caress is this nonsense, papa Kush. Please tell me this means that Mueller's kicking down the door in like 3 days.

Holocaust survivor in the third paragraph. Pulling out all the stops.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is hilariously hosed up.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

This is hilariously hosed up.
Pennsylvania: thank god there's Ohio.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yeah there's no way they can possibly give this executive order any teeth because if they did, religious schools would be on the chopping block.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

he got that idea from a youtube video lmao. the republican party and the pepes are the same.

Doesn't surprise me. Says a lot about these fucks that notions such as "doing research" and "preparing relevant questions ahead of time" to them is "WHO IS REALLY PULLING HER STRINGS???" Dear Leader can't be arsed to study or prepare so this is an interesting assumption they made.

Pakled posted:

Yeah there's no way they can possibly give this executive order any teeth because if they did, religious schools would be on the chopping block.

This is a CHUD circle jerk. Trump gets some sort of "credit" for signing an order doomed to be immediately stopped by the courts, CHUDs then scream about judicial activism, etc.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Local morons baffled that Member of Congress can read, do job.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is this your god?

https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain/status/654714209360437249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

theflyingorc posted:

Giving extra pain meds to people with short term pain is, in fact, part of the problem. You don't get to call it "pedantry" that you ignored an extremely central word to the proposal.

I didn't ignore it and you're the one throwing "extra" into the mix. She's the one that used "tooth extraction" as the central example in her stupid tweet. There are tons of other longer term acute pain. 3-6 months is still considered acute.

e: Yes, I know the original tweet is about "extra" meds and I agree that over PRESCRIBING is the issue but putting a flat 7 day limit on all opioid subscriptions for acute pain is idiotic.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 21, 2019