Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I would pay good money to watch Trump trying to stuff his bulbous rear end into a tank. They weren't exactly made for people of his girth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

cr0y posted:

Why in the gently caress is the world trending in this direction in 2019.

Specifically in reference to LGBT issues, it is good to keep in mind that the world, on the whole, is not trending against LGBT people.

Fifty years ago, homosexuality was considered a mental illness, and the American Psychiatric Association listed it as such.

Thirty years ago, it would have been totally normal for non-religious, educated people to think that homosexuality was, if not morally wrong, a sign of some type of dysfunction or irregularity, and not a healthy lifestyle. Even people who were "tolerant" of homosexuality thought it was odd or humorous.

Twenty years ago, homosexuality was more open, but there was not a jurisdiction in the world that allowed same gender marriage.

Ten years ago, five nations, and several US States, recognized same gender marriage, but it was still impossible in most of the world, and it still wasn't a "mainstream" political position in the United States.

In the 1970s and the 1980s in the United States (and I am guessing in lots of other places), there wasn't that much difference between a religious person and a secular person's views on homosexuality. A lot of people grew up with the idea that homosexuality was just obviously a dysfunction. That they continue to hold these beliefs isn't a sign that there is a trend in that direction--- just that people are holding on to the prejudices they were raised with.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Mankind is physically incapable of collectively redeeming itself of its fundamental sinful nature, and unfortunately no actual benevolent diety or aliens exist to externally save it.

Tell that to the Posadists

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Critical posted:

I would pay good money to watch Trump trying to stuff his bulbous rear end into a tank. They weren't exactly made for people of his girth.

Hopefully he'd get stuck in there and the cable news would have a field day covering it as they frantically tried to get him out.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Critical posted:

I'd pay good money to watch Trump trying to do half of the things he mocks others for not being able to do

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

How is Dukakis a "prominent democrat" in 2019?

Ben Jacobs is mere months away from a new body slam.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ricecult posted:

I don't think that's vindictive, I think that cops should be subject to higher sentences when they are found guilty of killing or injuring someone outside of self-defense/public safety. They are put in a position of heightened responsibility, the legal repercussions of abusing that or misjudging a situation should reflect that.
This. It's like priests or teachers abusing kids. It's an abuse of trust.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

haveblue posted:

Trump seems to be stuck in the 80's.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

haveblue posted:

what are jokes

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

When is the dickbutt edit coming for that

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm sure it's coming soon.

Okay, I got this.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Like Cadet Bonespurs could even fit in a tank. Also isn't the helmet supposed to be kinda big for a variety of reasons including the fact it's also a radio headset?

EDIT:

Esplanade posted:

Okay, I got this.

President Pulsating, Bloated, Festering, Sweaty, Pus-filled, Malformed Dickbutt-for-a-Butt.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1108453196790489088

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What the gently caress brought on this week’s insane fixation on McCain anyway?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hating John McCain might be the only consistent and genuine belief trump holds.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Was Trump visited by McCains ghost or some poo poo?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sekhmnet posted:

https://twitter.com/maggieserota/status/1108364922688360449

Angry_Ed posted:

Like Cadet Bonespurs could even fit in a tank. Also isn't the helmet supposed to be kinda big for a variety of reasons including the fact it's also a radio headset?

this is true, nobody looks good in a tank helmet

fundamental rule of politics: don't be photographed wearing a silly hat

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2013/11/dukakis-and-the-tank-099119

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 20, 2019

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

EDIT:

President Pulsating, Bloated, Festering, Sweaty, Pus-filled, Malformed Dickbutt-for-a-Butt.

Nah he's not wrong about the Dukakis picture. He looked like a child playing dress up and the picture made him a joke among most of the country and killed his chances at winning the election. It seems asinine when a racist rapist got on by being extra racist but what can you do.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Big bad strong alpha daddy got his feelings hurt.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
It feels like Meghan McCain's name has been popping up in the news more frequently the last week, so I assume that's what is revving Trumps "GRRRRR...McCain!" engine.

Critical posted:

Nah he's not wrong about the Dukakis picture. He looked like a child playing dress up and the picture made him a joke among most of the country and killed his chances at winning the election. It seems asinine when a racist rapist got on by being extra racist but what can you do.

The best part is Trump in the semi truck cab is just dumb looking, if not worse.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

luxury handset posted:

https://twitter.com/maggieserota/status/1108364922688360449

this is true, nobody looks good in a tank helmet

fundamental rule of politics: don't be photographed wearing a silly hat

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2013/11/dukakis-and-the-tank-099119

Which is a disappointing reversal of 10,000 years of politics where being seen with your silly hat was mandatory :smith:

E: Whole ceremonies where a dude in a silly hat would bestow a different, sillier hat upon a politician taking office! All gone! Only badly tailored suits remain!

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 20, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Critical posted:

Dukakis* was not going to win that election regardless of any silly picture. It's even less critical than The Dean Scream. It's just a funny picture.

*lol it's extremely sad that my spellcheck doesn't even recognize Dukakis as a word, talk about being just wiped out of the history books

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nice antisemitism.

https://twitter.com/PalestinePR/status/1108454397573586946

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

It feels like Meghan McCain's name has been popping up in the news more frequently the last week, so I assume that's what is revving Trumps "GRRRRR...McCain!" engine.

The best part is Trump in the semi truck cab is just dumb looking, if not worse.

Trump in the truck makes him look like Ike from south park. A toddler made completely out of head.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Trump needs to be corrected whenever he claims he opposed the Iraq war.

https://twitter.com/petty_takes/status/891017270335602689

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 20, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There are soooo many photos of Trump that are way worse than Dukakis. How about eating the Mexican food on his plane? Or sitting in the golf cart as the rest of the G7 walks ahead of him. Or when Merkel stood over him as he looked away like a petulant toddler?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cr0y posted:

Why in the gently caress is the world trending in this direction in 2019.

Capitalism.

Mostly white people but you can't exactly call Brazilians white.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1108455751289397253

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sekhmnet posted:

It's this

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
lol:
Composer John Williams wrote "Fanfare for Michael Dukakis" in 1988 at the request of Dukakis's father-in-law, Harry Ellis Dickson.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?5725-1/michael-dukakis-accepts-1988-democratic-presidential-nomination

It's not even on youtube lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah that truck picture alone is more embarrassing by an order of magnitude than the dukakis tank pic.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

theflyingorc posted:

Dukakis* was not going to win that election regardless of any silly picture. It's even less critical than The Dean Scream. It's just a funny picture.

He had a 17-point lead over Bush at the end of July. It wasn't a fait accompli. They just made the classic Democrat mistake: "if we're ahead that means we're staying there, and if we fall behind we need to focus on what we did wrong in the past rather than how to fix the problem in the future".

Politico has a good retrospective of the tank-picture debacle that goes into some detail in the decision-making process. It was a kaleidoscope of unforced errors and higher-ups refusing to listen to the people on the ground.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
He's on a roll today.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1108456139656712192

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"he looked so bad in that tank!" says guy that proudly posed in front of cold fast food he ordered for the football boys while wearing an overcoat indoors because he's got so loving fat.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Another quality entry to WikiFeet!
:yeshaha:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Besesoth posted:

He had a 17-point lead over Bush at the end of July. It wasn't a fait accompli. They just made the classic Democrat mistake: "if we're ahead that means we're staying there, and if we fall behind we need to focus on what we did wrong in the past rather than how to fix the problem in the future".

Politico has a good retrospective of the tank-picture debacle that goes into some detail in the decision-making process. It was a kaleidoscope of unforced errors and higher-ups refusing to listen to the people on the ground.

Who cares, John Williams wrote a fanfare for Michael Dukakis and that owns

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Cool, then as the president why don't you get us out of this war?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
pretty good photo montage linked from that politico article about bad presidential photo ops

calvin coolidge, requires no explanation

richard nixon, casually strolling along the beach in a suit and dress shoes

gerald ford bites into a tamale without removing the corn husk wrapper first

george bush, fascinated that these 'grocery stores' the poors find so popular have things such as computers

oh john kerry... poor john kerry...

i still remember the hell out of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPtDQaDmZUU

e: al_gore_dick.jpg

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 20, 2019

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Critical posted:

Yep it was his handlers' fault for not realizing that it is impossible to look dignified or serious when you are wearing a tank helmet.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

luxury handset posted:

oh john kerry... poor john kerry...

I would love a photo series of very serious politicians playing in a Discovery Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Morning Sedition