Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Xenomrph posted:

They're still working on an updated 3D version of Dementium 1 and 2 for the 3DS, right?

Yup. As of a few days ago, Dementium 1 is scheduled for "late October" and Dementium 2 is scheduled for "early next year", but I wouuldn't be surprised if at least one of them gets pushed back.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Man. Xenoblade is a ton of fun. I've thought I was broken because I've hated literally every JRPG I've tried since FF7 but this one just clicks. Although I still don't know how about 75% of the systems work and just seem to mash buttons in a battle but it seems to work ok.

What do the affinity coins do? just the link attack stuff?

What skills do you guys level up?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Comrade Flynn posted:

Man. Xenoblade is a ton of fun. I've thought I was broken because I've hated literally every JRPG I've tried since FF7 but this one just clicks. Although I still don't know how about 75% of the systems work and just seem to mash buttons in a battle but it seems to work ok.

What skills do you guys level up?

Affinity coins let you set party member's boosts on other characters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Comrade Flynn posted:

In the "Skills" menu, you can link skills from one character to another (ex. Reyn has a skill that allows him to equip heavy armor, Shulk can then use a skill link to equip that skill and also equip heavy armor). Every skill costs a certain amount of affinity coins to link, which you can gain by leveling up or killing unique monsters (the ones with the fancy name icons and special battle music). The pool of skills you can link from one character to another depends on their affinity between each other, which builds through

-being in the active party and engaging in battle (affinity is gained through helping/encouraging disabled characters and participating in Chain Attacks)
-being in the active party and doing quests with cutscences
-doing Heart-to-Hearts (though these require quite a bit of Affinity to begin with)
-gifting Collectibles to each other (can be done in the items menu)

In addition, high affinity between the members of the active party increases your odds of being able to extend a Chain Attack beyond the default of one attack per party member, which is also boosted by keeping your combo up (ie. using arts of the same color, where White/Talent Arts can combo with anything).

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 17, 2015

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The other big secret about Yokai Watch is that a lot of the yokai designs are really bad and lazy and worse than the worst Pokemon stuff.

Long Neck ghost, Paper Lantern ghost, and Umbrella ghost. When translated in english a lot of Japanese ghost names sound stupid and lazy.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Neat. Is there an easy way to see if a monster you're targeting is part of a quest?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
No one talked about and I was banned for a week, but there's a new Ninjhax coming out soon (rumored tomorrow) and it supports up to the highest firmware. It's a lighter version of the old Ninjhax but it'll still allow emulators, custom themes, and some other poo poo. No 3DS games as to be expected.

It'll be here whenever it's available. http://smealum.net/ninjhax/

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Neat. Is there an easy way to see if a monster you're targeting is part of a quest?

Unfortunately the quest tracking in Xenoblade is awful. On the flip side, there's pretty much a quest for everything and most quests will turn themselves in even if you completely them inadvertently. Don't stress out about the side quests because there are a million of them and only a couple are important. You'll know which ones.

As a general rule of thumb, kill any named monster you see. Not only is the loot probably good, the music is even better.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You may have just put your finger on one of Xenoblade's flaws. You'll know if it was a quest monster or not after you kill it because you'll get a quest notification thingy but otherwise you're basically running up and down the countryside and punching things until you find the right one.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Finally getting around to Fire Emblem Awakening, and I'm getting a lot of stuttering in the cutscenes. This is on a New 3DS and it's an eshop copy. Is that normal? Am I missing a patch or something?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I never experienced any stuttering, although I have a cartridge on the normal XL. Still, that isn't normal or right.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

On my brand (new) new 3ds, I haven't noticed any stuttering in the cutscenes. Also playing from a cartridge.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I got the game digitally at launch and never had cutscene issues as far as I can remember.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If it keeps up you might want to reinstall it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've never reinstalled a game on here. How does it handle the saves?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a "repair download" option somewhere, either in the eShop itself or the system settings.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can also backup saves for most games. Touch the triangle icon on the touch screen when you highlight a game on the home screen.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007
I had an issue with some games stuttering when I had a slower card on my original 3ds. Got a faster card for new 3ds and same games no longer stutter.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
No Stuttering here, and I DLed FE:A directly onto the N3DS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The trick to Xenoblade is to just straight-up ignore sidequests. Talk to anyone with a ! over their name. Accept every sidequest. Ignore them and just play the game. You'll complete some just by doing the game and the rest are worthless. There are a handful of exceptions but they're either optional (extra skill trees which shouldn't be hidden around dumb sidequests but are not critical to have) or blatantly pointed out to you (the portable reactor.)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Would anyone want a OlliOlli key from that humble bundle thing a while back?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Hmmm... Now that I've started playing Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, I think I might hold off on N3DS and Xenoblade and just wait for the Wii U version. Any reason not to do this? Gameplay or story-wise?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Xenoblade Wii/N3DS and Xenoblade Wii U are completely different games.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Xenoblade Chronicles X has no story connection to Xenoblade Chronicles.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It should be noted any time someone mentions buying Xenoblade 3DS that it's a very very ugly game. The scenery may look nice relative, but it's like someone made it out of wet paper with pepper laid all over it.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
That's the other reason I'm thinking of skipping it and just waiting for X. I played around with the demo at Nintendo World and yeah, I feel like it would look better on a smaller screen.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

Would anyone want a OlliOlli key from that humble bundle thing a while back?

Sure.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

It should be noted any time someone mentions buying Xenoblade 3DS that it's a very very ugly game. The scenery may look nice relative, but it's like someone made it out of wet paper with pepper laid all over it.

That makes no sense. Wet paper with pepper? What?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I don't think Xenoblade looks that bad. Text looks like grainy poo poo like every 3DS game with a small font and it is very text heavy, but that's my biggest issue really.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

All of Xenoblade's textures look like they've been run through Photoshop's Gaussian Blur, given the scale of the environments though I'm not really surprised that they had to make the textures as ugly as possible to even get the game running on the 3DS.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
One of the things I've touched on quite a few times since E3 is that apparently I'm the only person who doesn't use Streetpass and thought it was completely useless in America due to our lack of on-foot public transit culture outside of New York, San Francisco, and maybe Boston.

Do you guys just leave a 3DS with the lid closed and the power on while you go driving around, or what?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Party Meiser posted:

That makes no sense. Wet paper with pepper? What?

Oh, do this. Imagine wet paper.

Now imagine it with pepper on it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

noirstronaut posted:

I'm not following you. Could you possibly sketch it out or make a powerpoint?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Craptacular! posted:

One of the things I've touched on quite a few times since E3 is that apparently I'm the only person who doesn't use Streetpass and thought it was completely useless in America due to our lack of on-foot public transit culture outside of New York, San Francisco, and maybe Boston.

Do you guys just leave a 3DS with the lid closed and the power on while you go driving around, or what?

My 3DS is always on me but I won't get a single StreetPass unless I'm at a convention or a McDonald's or wherever they have those "StreetPass Locations" set-up where you pass a WiFi point and get the last 10 people that have passed it as well. Other than that I'll never get one.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's like every AT&T wifi spot or something isn't it? I find I reliably get hits if it's in my pocket when I go to most big box stores. I dunno how. but like target walmart best buy what have you

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

How that applies to how a game looks makes no sense. Stop being stupid.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Party Meiser posted:

How that applies to how a game looks makes no sense. Stop being stupid.

No you forgot to add the pepper to the wet paper

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I didn't really want to buy Xenoblade on 3DS since I already played the Wii version to death so I just grabbed some wet paper and pepper and probably put a good 90 hours into it

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Craptacular! posted:

I live in Boston, and walking around I might get 1-3 Streetpasses on a good day. Riding the public transit system can get a lot of passes, especially on the train. Sometimes when I'm on the highway I'll pass some other car with Streetpass on. Otherwise I've generally just loaded up on passes at conventions or while hanging out with a friend who has a 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

epitasis posted:

it's like every AT&T wifi spot or something isn't it?

Only the McDonald's by my work has it set up and I've never run into another one.