Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
A couple of noob questions:

1) What does the "Vaal" modifier do on skill gems? They are a special version of a skill that is more powerful, but has to be charged? Also, I play a marauder and it seems there are very few vaal strength gems. Are any good for Marauder builds?

2) Looking at the wiki, the item level cap seems to be around 70-71.

If you're in a level 71 area and a level 80 area, are the potential item drops the same?

3) I found my second unique (first was a bad 1h axe at level 18) and someone in the party said it was good. Is this actually worth something?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
A vaal gem builds up a charge as you kill enemies that can be released for a big effect, usually a modified version of the original skill gem.

Item level mainly determines how good the rolls on the stats of an item can be. It goes up to like 84. This is not to be confused with the level requirement of an item.

Pyre is good and useful but also pretty common so its not worth much.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
1. Vaal skills are usually terribly overpowered variations of the base skill, but you can't use them at will. They first need to charge through killing monsters.
2. There are no more additional affixes after level 71 yeah, but map tiers are the important drops in high level zones. Those still increase until 80.
3. You can check prices of items on http://poe.trade/ Most uniques aren't really worth anything

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) What does the "Vaal" modifier do on skill gems?

If you're in a level 71 area and a level 80 area, are the potential item drops the same?

3) I found my second unique (first was a bad 1h axe at level 18) and someone in the party said it was good. Is this actually worth something?

Vaal skills are special versions of skills that are usually wildly amped up versions. Example: Vaal Spark shoots an obscene amount of sparks. They require kills ("souls") to charge up and use. Most are bad, some like Vaal Grace or Vaal Haste are very good.

The maximum ilevel is determined by zone level and other modifiers. It's actually 100 for the hard cap. Now, level REQUIREMENTS are around 70-ish, that's correct. The tiers of item drops (like say the maximum rolls for +ES%) is 84.

Pyre is good, but it's not worth much.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Speaking of Vaal gems, my WI char has only WM leech and like 1.5% ZO regen. I can paper over some of this with Vaal Discipline but how are you supposed to go up against Izaro where Vaal gems don't work?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Swap in a life leech gem? Or just don't get hit :hehe:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hmm what gem would you swap? I'm looking at cold to fire-fire pen-spell echo-faster casting-ele focus-hypothermia, I don't think I want to lose either red gem. Maybe swap Hypothermia for leech, but that'd be permanent. (Also prob easier to get RRRBBB in a staff)

e: empower maybe? Doesn't look like it affects Icestorm but the support gems should still be affected?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 6, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I haven't crunched the numbers but my first thought is to drop faster casting for inc duration that can then be swapped out for leech for when you need it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking of Vaal gems, my WI char has only WM leech and like 1.5% ZO regen. I can paper over some of this with Vaal Discipline but how are you supposed to go up against Izaro where Vaal gems don't work?

increase your curse effectiveness?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Maybe, there's one cluster nearby I could pick up if I can spare the points

This is the build I was looking at, got posted earlier. VanguardsEle

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/SamK920/characters

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I ran WI last league with a leech gem in the setup. Damage was fine up to and including the 2 guardians I killed before I got bored. Also meant reflect was a relative non-issue. Was not running hypothermia, and used pyre instead of a cold to fire gem. Used Inc aoe for trash and swapped to conc effect for bosses. This is what I was sorta following: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1749520/page/1

I could face tank uber Izaro no problem.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

1) What does the "Vaal" modifier do on skill gems? They are a special version of a skill that is more powerful, but has to be charged? Also, I play a marauder and it seems there are very few vaal strength gems. Are any good for Marauder builds?

1. What others have said. As a melee marauder Vaal Ground Slam is pretty effective at blowing up packs if you use a mace, Vaal Lightning Strike is a great boss killer, and Vaal Haste is always useful.

2. Others have covered this already.

3. It's useful and commonly used in builds but not valuable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm trying to find a Vortex Pyre build and wondered something. The Vortex skill gem says it double dips on increased spell damage, but what about increased elemental damage (e.g. the mace implicit)? Or increased fire or cold damage?

Also if anyone has a nice forum post about it i'd appreciate it, all I'm finding are videos that aren't easy to use as a reference :(

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I think the next time I run a Vortex Igniter (which is still crazy strong and fun) I might try it as an Assassin. The downside is that I'd have to run the prolif gem again, but crits mean I wouldn't need to run Chance to Ignite or pick up any on the tree and would get some ludicrous scaling on the ignites, though it would also mean no Elemental Overload. I wonder how high I could scale that, honestly...

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Elemental yes, Fire yes, Cold no. All of the double dipping that works on a normal skill with Ignite like Flameblast works the same with Vortex. Vortex just ALSO double dips with generic spell damage which is what lets it compete with Flameblast for an ignite build. The two biggest boosts that it can get that don't double dip for FB are Righteous Fire and Pain Attunement. There's a good lowlife RF Vortex ignite build on the forums, but the gear requirements are pretty brutal if you're not rich so I wouldn't really advise it.

EDIT: Assassin is decent, but remember you're also losing either the half reflect damage or the -25% fire resist after a lightning skill. Elemental Overload is a serious damage increase also due to double dipping. The biggest reason anyone does Crit Vortex Ignite is to do a Cast on Crit build with it to increase clear speed, since the damage is already insane.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 6, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I get really really aggressive on trading my currency around I've probably got about a dozen chaos orbs total. I have that ED Contagion life scion at 65 but I'm sort of not feeling it too much as of A3M, and I have to finish merciless Lab before I can continue placing passive points :(

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cinara posted:

EDIT: Assassin is decent, but remember you're also losing either the half reflect damage or the -25% fire resist after a lightning skill. Elemental Overload is a serious damage increase also due to double dipping. The biggest reason anyone does Crit Vortex Ignite is to do a Cast on Crit build with it to increase clear speed, since the damage is already insane.
Yeah, fair enough.

I also still have never done a LL build (on account of typically being poor as gently caress). Given that I've been incredibly lucky with drops this league, I might one day be able to grab a Shav's...is there any LL build that is particularly busted (within the batshit context of LL, naturally)?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Also if anyone has a nice forum post about it i'd appreciate it, all I'm finding are videos that aren't easy to use as a reference :(
You can basically check out my Witch over here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/theshim/characters (shimOnFire)

My gear is a solid meh across the board, but I'm doing yellow maps pretty effortlessly now. Still need uber lab for Mastermind of Discord, that'll add another ton of damage. Got around 4.6k life and room to grow. I really really want a 6l now.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anyone running SRS this league? I started a new dude last night for a change of pace, but I've never played it before so I don't really know how the recent patch impacts it. Also I wanna use that cutlass once it drops in price.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

theshim posted:

You can basically check out my Witch over here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/theshim/characters (shimOnFire)

My gear is a solid meh across the board, but I'm doing yellow maps pretty effortlessly now. Still need uber lab for Mastermind of Discord, that'll add another ton of damage. Got around 4.6k life and room to grow. I really really want a 6l now.

Do you orb of storms every pack? I have a level 28 witch that just got Vortex, but EE makes every monster strong to fire when I hit them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Are the various masters generally useful?

I'm still leveling and just started cruel, but I haven't been using them much. I'm still a little unsure about the value of the master-specific affixes, use of favor, and crafting even after reading the wiki.

theshim
May 1, 2012

queeb posted:

Do you orb of storms every pack? I have a level 28 witch that just got Vortex, but EE makes every monster strong to fire when I hit them.
For trash, they die in one pop. I actually have Orb of Storms linked to Inc AoE, which gives it huge coverage when I bother to cast it. Almost every rare dies in one cast of Vortex too, but I'll periodically toss them out - a good habit to get into for later when Mastermind of Discord triggers off it.

e: Orb of Storms is also super super good for proccing Elemental Overload, so it's another good reason to cast it periodically.

I'm still leveling and just started cruel, but I haven't been using them much. I'm still a little unsure about the value of the master-specific affixes, use of favor, and crafting even after reading the wiki.
Yes. Elreon, Haku and Vorici are useful for pretty much everyone, Vagan/Tora/Catarina are a bit more specialized, and Zana will be a permanent fixture once you can get her.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Masters are good. Some (Haku, Vorici, Elreon) more than others. Oh, and Zana is a must in endgame. Maybe don't worry so much about the matter specific mods but what they can craft in general is great. Running a bit short on resistances? Hit up Haku/Elreon to craft onto armor/jewellery. Found an awesome pair of boots with only one socket? Have Vorici make it 4L in two clicks.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

They're good. Favor is just poo poo you spend on cosmetic upgrades in your crib, so whatever. What's more important are the master crafts which generally get better the higher level they are. You can also just ask someone in guild who's leveled the appropriate master to do poo poo for you, they'll usually just ask for cost of materials. Check the wiki to see what crafts they can do.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

While leveling, some of them are very useful (Haku, Elreon) to craft needed life and resists on your bad gear. And once you get leveled up (70+) other ones become more useful (Zana, Vorici, Catarina).

Once you get a master up to level 3 you can make a hideout. Then talk to another master that is at least level 2 and then invite them to your hideout. Once a master hits level 5 you can upgrade to a larger hideout and invite 4 total, and at level 7 you can invite all of them to your hideout.

All masters have a daily mission you can do to gain favor with them, and change the items they sell. Masters are a very good source for quality gems. Once a master hits level 4, they will offer an item with their Signature Mod. Elreon's is always on jewelry and is "−(4 to 8) to Mana Cost of Skills, for example. Then once a master gets to level 6 they offer currency for sale. Elreon and Vorici are the best ones to do. Then once a master reaches level 8 they off a special meta crafting mod, but dont worry about those for now.

e: master missions reset every day at 6pm CST when the labyrinth resets as well.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 6, 2016

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Bugsy posted:

Once a master hits level 5 you can upgrade to a larger hideout and invite 4 total, and at level 7 you can invite all of them to your hideout.

!!! When did they change being able to invite all of them at 7? Here I am being a drat hobo and leaving some of them out to dry.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

devilmouse posted:

!!! When did they change being able to invite all of them at 7? Here I am being a drat hobo and leaving some of them out to dry.

The 2.4 patch aka Essence league.

quote:

Medium-size hideouts can now hold four Forsaken Masters rather than three. Large-size hideouts can now hold seven Forsaken Masters rather than four. Navali and Leo both bypass these limits.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
drat. That's what I get for not really paying much attention to/during Essence.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I've been dealing with this issue forever (2013) and I have tried scouring the internet for fixes but I thought I would ask here as well.

I get random freeze crashes to the login screen somewhat often. These happen in any and all areas of the game and while playing with different skills as well. What happens: Game will freeze the screen for ~5-10 seconds (Path of Exile Not Responding), the game will unfreeze for about a half second to show the current image of the game (me being dead), and then will crash to the login screen. This happens on a variety of graphics cards setting (all low, all medium, all high), and happens both in the new DX11 and the old DX versions. It happens in full screen mode and a smaller windowed mode. I am wondering if anyone here has ever experienced this (or any type of freeze/crash problems) and somehow fixed them. This is the only video game that I get weird crashes in. I have also verified my game files on steam.

My system: i5 2500k, GTX780, Samsung 840 EVO SSD (game installed on this), 16GB ram

HELP. So sick of this issue now that I am playing the game much more often.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Have you tried the standalone client?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Cinara posted:

Elemental yes, Fire yes, Cold no. All of the double dipping that works on a normal skill with Ignite like Flameblast works the same with Vortex. Vortex just ALSO double dips with generic spell damage which is what lets it compete with Flameblast for an ignite build. The two biggest boosts that it can get that don't double dip for FB are Righteous Fire and Pain Attunement. There's a good lowlife RF Vortex ignite build on the forums, but the gear requirements are pretty brutal if you're not rich so I wouldn't really advise it.

Crit depends on what you're giving up elsewhere. It's easy to get enough crit multiplier to outpace double dipping EO since that's 1.4*1.4 or 2.16. 400 crit multiplier is probably easily achievable. The question is how much other damage you'd be giving up for it, since noncrit builds tend to get up to around 800% increased damage total, and crit will be much lower. Dropping 25% pen isn't as bad as it looks since that doesn't work on the DoT component anyways.

Also since you are no longer relying on chance to ignite (everything hit will either get ignited or not ignited based on crit), you might just not use any kind of prolif which means you don't have to use Southbound.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey how much +life should I get.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
At least 150% but probably more depending on the build.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Additional noob questions:

1) Since Chaos Orbs seem to be the default currency, is the best way to build up a supply of them to just save rares after level 60 and then sell a full set to vendors once you have them all?

2) For rares, you can upgrade them from Magic or Normals, but if you want more sockets on a unique is the only way to do it by using the Jeweler's Orbs over and over? Or paying an insane amount to a crafter?

3) Is there any advantage to running the Labarynth multiple times? Or is that just for end-game "ultimate" or Merciless Labyrinth? It resets every 24 hours and I didn't know if there was a reason.

Edit:

4) Are any skill gems worth selling as a low level to get some early currency or no?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 6, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I always try to get 200%+ for HC, 300% combined es/life if hybrid, and 250% es for CI.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

1) Since Chaos Orbs seem to be the default currency, is the best way to build up a supply of them to just save rares after level 60 and then sell a full set to vendors once you have them all?

2) For rares, you can upgrade them from Magic or Normals, but if you want more sockets on a unique is the only way to do it by using the Jeweler's Orbs over and over? Or paying an insane amount to a crafter?

3) Is there any advantage to running the Labarynth multiple times? Or is that just for end-game "ultimate" or Merciless Labyrinth? It resets every 24 hours and I didn't know if there was a reason.

Edit:

4) Are any skill gems worth selling as a low level to get some early currency or no?

1. That's a slow-and-steady way of getting chaos. Best bet is getting good drops and selling them.
2. Yes. Getting a 4L from Vorici isn't that bad. Getting 5+....yeah....or you could get lucky and get the guaranteed 5L prophecy (or INCREEEEEEEEEEDIBLY lucky and get the 6L one).
3. Only merc/uber lab are worth re-running, and that's to get a valuable helm enchantment. There's also a prize for being the fastest person to run through each difficulty of the lab each day, but don't even worry about that.
4. If it's very high quality, the quality bonuses is actually worth a drat and the gem itself is popular, then yes. There's also a few gems that are drop only: Empower, Enlighten, Enhance, Added Chaos Damage, Portal, Detonate Mines. Those first two are quite valuable (definitely empower). Added Chaos Damage can be flipped for about a chaos. The rest? Meh.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 6, 2016

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Edit:

1.) Yes, always use the chaos vendor recipe. If you play enough, you will get drops worthy of listing on poe.trade to make more chaos.

2.) Crafting all the way up from a normal item is more end game type crafting when you have a LOT of currency to use up and perfect an item. Make sure you are using the jewellers recipe (any six socket that drops gives you 7), and you will amass jewellers quite easily.

3.) Running the lab multiple times give you the special implicit mod on your items. So if you want to get a good one on an end game piece of armor, that is when you should run the end game lab a couple times to spin the RNG wheel and hopefully get lucky.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

1 - The 'chaos recipe' as its referred to is a great way to get starter currency. The bottleneck tends to be jewelry (rings, amulets, belts) because you'll get a ton of the rest. You can use your lovely essences to get a free roll on a white thing you need for the chaos recipe, though, so this is easier to complete than ever. Most people stop doing this once they are speed running maps because it is a LOT of item shuffling and gets to be pretty annoying after a while.

2 - Not sure I understand the question. An items affixes (the mods that are on it) and it's sockets/colors are totally separate. Using an Alteration, Regal, Chaos or (laugh) Exalted on an item will only change its mods. Similarly, using jewelers or fusings on an item with only change its sockets. The crafting costs from Vorici are actually reasonably close to expected value of just spamming the particular orb at an item: 1500 fusings for a guaranteed six-link is actually not that far away from reality. Look up some horror stories of people throwing 3k at an item in standard and still not getting the 6L. However, just spamming the individual orbs can get you some really lucky results - I wouldn't recommend it, though. The basic advice is to shop for the item you want with the links you want - it's generally cheaper in the long run.

3 - I don't think there's any point to running the Normal, Cruel or Merciless lab more than once for the points. Doing multi-key runs of the uber lab (killing Argus and defeating Izaro without killing any of the stuff in the first two phases of the fight) is pretty lucrative... IF you have the right build to do it. That's a pretty tall order, though. Uber Izaro hits like a truck.

Also, the Lab doesn't 'reset' in the way that you seem to think it does. You can run the lab as many times as you want any given day, but the layout will always be the same for that day. As in, Gold Door here, Silver chest there, etc. The actual tiles that the lab gets laid out with can be different (so 'trap room' and 'puzzle room' will always appear in the same places, but it might be a different trap or puzzle layout). You'll notice that people will get super stoked for an Uber Lab that doesn't have a gold door - those layouts you can zoom through and make a lot of currency with the right build!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I've seen people say chaos vendor is a noob trap. If you ignore it, it lets you run more maps cause you quit wasting time filling up your inventory and going back for armor. I also tend to agree because I tried to follow this in prophecy league and it worked well.

The real way to get rich is to just play the game A LOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Poelab.com for daily lab layouts. Bookmark it and run an ad blocker because their ads are super intrusive.

• Locked thread