Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think an issue in Persona particularly comes from the appeal of social interactions between the different characters - Royal added those little vignette scenes with random characters like Futaba and Iwai, or Mishima and Ryuji interacting and it was clear how much enjoyable it was to see other social link characters interact with each other than it was to see them interact with the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How about let me play as the gang? Just give me the ability to jump between characters and do events for each of them, so there's no one main character who has to be in every interaction.

Could Persona handle that? Let you play as, like, the "Supernatural Enthusiasts" club as a group instead of having a view point character?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think an issue in Persona particularly comes from the appeal of social interactions between the different characters - Royal added those little vignette scenes with random characters like Futaba and Iwai, or Mishima and Ryuji interacting and it was clear how much enjoyable it was to see other social link characters interact with each other than it was to see them interact with the main character.
I mean this has always been one of my issues with the games, and one of the reasons that Fire Emblem has always been my all time favorite series.

In many games with ensemble or large casts, many characters either cease to be characters at all once they join the group or only interact with the main character. I really enjoy the support system in Fire Emblem because it allows all of your units to interact with each other and explore their personalities and character development, even if the system does have its stumbles and limitations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

marshmallow creep posted:

How about let me play as the gang? Just give me the ability to jump between characters and do events for each of them, so there's no one main character who has to be in every interaction.

Could Persona handle that? Let you play as, like, the "Supernatural Enthusiasts" club as a group instead of having a view point character?

It could, chances are it won't. Namely cause that would probably get rid of one of the appeals of the modern Persona games for a buncha people.

Though I think there are some other games that allow such a thing. The Fire Emblem support system mentioned earlier is kinda that for that series?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Just unlocked two job choices in Mercenaries Rebirth, and it was BIG. I chose jobs that mostly did the same thing as before, but better. Greatsword guy can do the charge move that ninja used, and it let him kill the boss in a free battle in one hit. This is a massive change from the paradigm of earlier. The mage also ended up killing a guy with a hit I was meaning to use to force someone into turning so another char could backstab. The tier 2 sorcerer spells give you an area blast and another blast that starts at 1-5 range, as well as full elemental coverage. They felt very meaningful increases in both power and options.

It looks like you get improvements to movement in tenths of a square. Ticking from 3.9 Move to 4.0 was very significant, since now my greatsworder can outpace a lot of units. I just got a stirrup item that apparently lets units switch to cavalry mode, and I am a little tempted to make him into the dedicated treasure hunter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

I mean this is how Fire Emblem works, there's still a self-insert protag in the modern games but you get a bunch of interactions between the non-protagonist characters. And the games that don't have a self-insert protag just kinda treat it as you playing an omnipotent magic hand. You can sort of say it's meant to be the protagonist making the decisions you do but a lot of FE games specifically have tactician/strategist characters who in universe make those decisions and oversee stuff. So really the player character in FE9 is Soren.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is the impressive character writing in CE2 a bit backloaded? I've been going through slowly due to various other stuff and while the game has been fine, I'm not seeing what makes it so impressive, yet, after the second dungeon. I'll probably keep going with it though, since having something low effort is perfect for my schedule right now, and it's not like, bad, just not as great as it was sold by people whose opinions usually align reasonably well with my own (which is why I'm surprised)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Endorph posted:

So really the player character in FE9 is Soren.

I'm okay with this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

I mean this is how Fire Emblem works, there's still a self-insert protag in the modern games but you get a bunch of interactions between the non-protagonist characters. And the games that don't have a self-insert protag just kinda treat it as you playing an omnipotent magic hand. You can sort of say it's meant to be the protagonist making the decisions you do but a lot of FE games specifically have tactician/strategist characters who in universe make those decisions and oversee stuff. So really the player character in FE9 is Soren.

Not quite familiar with the FE series all too much, but I know FE7 explicitly had like you as the "tactician self-insert", who wasn't actually a unit, just explicitly calling you out as the magic guiding hand. Probably IntSys's way of trying to make SRPGs more accommodating for people outside of Japan at the time since that was the first game in the series they exported out of Japan, cause they did the same thing with Advance Wars 1. Which they immediately dropped in AW2, and I think FE8 dropped that tidbit as well? Heck, the AW1 portion of the AW1+2 remake already cut out the bizarre self-insert thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like the FE7 tactician cause you get a bunch of cool sprites of the characters looking at the camera

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Araxxor posted:

Not quite familiar with the FE series all too much, but I know FE7 explicitly had like you as the "tactician self-insert", who wasn't actually a unit, just explicitly calling you out as the magic guiding hand. Probably IntSys's way of trying to make SRPGs more accommodating for people outside of Japan at the time since that was the first game in the series they exported out of Japan, cause they did the same thing with Advance Wars 1. Which they immediately dropped in AW2, and I think FE8 dropped that tidbit as well? Heck, the AW1 portion of the AW1+2 remake already cut out the bizarre self-insert thing.
FE8 immediately dropped that bit, yeah. It didn't come back until FE12, which had an actual playable unit instead of just a personification of the magic hand.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cheetah7071 posted:

Is the impressive character writing in CE2 a bit backloaded? I've been going through slowly due to various other stuff and while the game has been fine, I'm not seeing what makes it so impressive, yet, after the second dungeon. I'll probably keep going with it though, since having something low effort is perfect for my schedule right now, and it's not like, bad, just not as great as it was sold by people whose opinions usually align reasonably well with my own (which is why I'm surprised)

it gets better the more characters get introduced and get to interact with each other. though Jin is still your bro4life

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it gets better the more characters get introduced and get to interact with each other. though Jin is still your bro4life

that's what I wanted to hear. It's not like, bad, so far, but it's just not justifying the exuberant praise

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gin not Jin

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Araxxor posted:

Hang on the AW1+2 remake came out?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

Still Spring 2022 as far as I'm aware.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

No, but in preview videos that showed off some levels, the self-insert tactician was already written out and it's Nell teaching Andy instead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Couple questions cuz I'm bored.

What Fire Emblem characters do you guys like? I have a terrible memory so I can't remember everybody and I'm wondering who sticks in other people's minds. Any reason at all for liking them; you think they're hot/entertaining/their story's interesting/ they were a healer that hit their strength growth 11 times the first time you played the game and they stuck out in your mind because of that/ etc.

I like how much Henry from FE13 is a constant weirdo that still keeps trying to help as much as he can regardless.

Also, have there been any good new Final Fantasy monsters? World of Final Fantasy had that cute mimic monster but I don't know about any great new ones besides that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
florina in fe7 is cute, and gay

i like mia in fe9 and 10, she's a solid myrmidon/sword master and her dynamic with ilyana in fe9 is really funny. shame about what they, uh, did to supports, in 10. really i like like, 90% of fe9/10's cast, 10's new characters' biggest crimes are mostly just not being given a lot of writing by the game in parts due to its rushed and unfinished nature and in parts due to the way they redid supports being awful, otherwise almost everyone's got something interesting and most of them are at least potentially decent units (except dawn brigade, rest in peace dawn brigade)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

Also, have there been any good new Final Fantasy monsters? World of Final Fantasy had that cute mimic monster but I don't know about any great new ones besides that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
tiki is a hot dragon and was the "love letter to the series" that hit hardest to me in awakening. She'll always stand out to me as the best example of what made Awakening really special, the fact that it loved fire emblem just as much as you do

ishtar has good hair and I like her story of being someone who is in an abusive relationship with dragon satan, but also just kinda sucks, herself. It's an interesting character

lilina has an 80% magic growth

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like shinon in fe9/10 because hes a weird rear end in a top hat racist and he never really grows or has any big moment of forgiveness he just becomes mildly less racist in a couple of his supports and does something nice for rolf in their supports. and hes constantly talking poo poo to ike and never, ever starts liking him. its nice to have a character whos just himself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lyn and her wife

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

What in the Slendertaur

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite fire emblem character is whoever can put my poor strategy on their backs and drag me over the finish line.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I like Lachesis because

a) she is a pretty princess

b) she gets a horse and almost every weapon weapon in the game on promotion and it rules

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I really like Gerik from Sacred Stones, he's a likable character, he starts out good and has solid growth potential, and he's just really dependable

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Ferdinand from Three Houses jumps out to me. It's impossible to overstate how good his character arc was, especially his final bonding events with every other Black Eagle

in battle he was fantastic. I made him a Wyvern Lord and he became an untouchable slaughtering machine

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like nino from blazing blade because she joins you at level 5 very late in the game but the following chapter is perfect for power leveling her to promotion so she can blast her abusive monster of a mom, while also reaching out to an emotionless shell of a person and rekindling his lost humanity

also matthew from the same game, for managing to pull off smirking troll, weary chaperone, and vengeful widower as needed. and pretty much all of the "oh ho ho" archetype (serra, l'arachel, and constance in particular), they're funny and generally have great interactions with other characters. also ilyana and haar from path of radiance, echidna and niime and geese from binding blade, rennac and lute from sacred stones...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like stefan, he's a very bit character in the overall writing but the whole scene in radiant dawn where he finds out everything about how he and people like him are viewed by society was made up bullshit and the gods don't actually despise his existence, and he just walks away laughing off the pain and anger he was arbitrarily subjected to, is a very striking moment

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I liked Tharja, though the stuff with her daughter was uh, something.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked a lot of characters in Awakening at least a bit; Despite 80% of the supports being filler there's some really good ones, too!

I also like a lot of the last minute units. Galzus, Karel, Nagi, Renault, and so on. I also like most of the manakete and the even-tempered dark mages, like Salem, Knoll and Canas.

For specific characters and not archetypes... Marisa was the first absolute death machine unit I got playing a FE game as a kid, and one of the units I would always use replaying the games no matter what. There's a lot of drawings of cool swords and Marisa in my 4th grade notebook.

Sylvain was my surprise character with more depth than I expected in 3h, Hilda too and by extension Marianne because they seem so perfect together.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i like stefan, he's a very bit character in the overall writing but the whole scene in radiant dawn where he finds out everything about how he and people like him are viewed by society was made up bullshit and the gods don't actually despise his existence, and he just walks away laughing off the pain and anger he was arbitrarily subjected to, is a very striking moment
also the gag with him popping out of the sand is very funny

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I liked pretty much everybody in three houses. None of them felt one-note to me with the exception of maybe Alois and Flayn, but they all felt like grounded characters in the setting and they all had some depth to them.

I especially Ferdinand because he's a pompous nobleman but still such a nice guy, Constance for reasons I already told this thread (also, she gets bolting, mad magic growths and easily classes into whatever type of magic user you'd like), Felix for being this rude edgelord swordsman with a backstory that justifies it (and he's the only person with a lick of sense in the blue lions run) and Edelgard for how much agency she has. Even if you disagree with her views, mad respect for having her decide to rock the status quo, and I think the game would have been better if they dropped the Those Who Slither in the Dark angle and just spent more time writing on the internal politics of the empire and given some more thought about how all of these political ideals aligned to make a war inevitable (but alas, fire emblem cannot envisage a story without a big bad evil wizard behind the scenes)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

florina in fe7 is cute, and gay

i like mia in fe9 and 10, she's a solid myrmidon/sword master and her dynamic with ilyana in fe9 is really funny. shame about what they, uh, did to supports, in 10. really i like like, 90% of fe9/10's cast, 10's new characters' biggest crimes are mostly just not being given a lot of writing by the game in parts due to its rushed and unfinished nature and in parts due to the way they redid supports being awful, otherwise almost everyone's got something interesting and most of them are at least potentially decent units (except dawn brigade, rest in peace dawn brigade)

Oh god I forgot about Mia! Mia was awesome! Just endlessly trying to find someone to spar with and training all the time. Hana from Fates reminds me of her a lot too, but I liked how Mia eventually got a reputation around her and people are just like 'Oh dear god, not again!' by the B rank support.

Fates had a pretty decent chunk of characters. Orochi kinda winging her magic at times and it still working out somehow, Azama constantly getting under everyone's skin, Oboro and Hinoka just seem to be forthright with everyone but I really like that a lot, Kagero having such skill with a paintbrush that everyone seeing her art stop and screams in fear when they see it, Reina being a bloodthirsty nightmare with a rad design riding on top of what looks like a super friendly flying monster. Even more so than pegasi maybe, Scarlet was cool and it's a shame about two of the games not letting her hang around, Arthur trying to do his best to help people despite having about as much good luck as Jon Arbuckle, Odin being Owain and still just as extra with a spellbook now is great, Beruka, Charlotte having a backstory about being outlandishly strong and having the stats to back that up. If they uncapped stat growth she'd be liable to get like a +4 strength growth on a level up.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For all that Corrin ruins things I actually really like Silas, and I will fully admit to having married him on my female Conquest run and finding it sweet and cute

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
If I were going to play one version of Fates, which one should it be?

I do like FE but I know I won't have the attention span to play all of them, at least not without taking very long breaks in between.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Paperhouse posted:

I do like FE but I know I won't have the attention span to play all of them, at least not without taking very long breaks in between.

Birthright is the closest to a standard Fire Emblem in both plot and gameplay. It's functional if not particularly inspired.

Conquest's plot is nonsense and the gameplay throws one high-difficulty gimmick map at you after another with very few chances to breathe in between. Decide for yourself if that sounds like something you would enjoy.

Revelations plays like a bad romhack and the plot won't make sense unless you've played the other two first. (If you have played the other two, it still won't make sense, but for different reasons.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Paperhouse posted:

Conquest is the most memorable because it's tuned to be extremely difficult and require a lot of thought and effort, but it's gimmick after gimmick with no cool down or break maps, which can be somewhat exhausting to play through. The plot is absolutely abysmal - probably the worst in the entire franchise - but some of the individual characters are pretty good and memorable.

Birthright goes the opposite way and has tons of super easy maps with no gimmicks beyond "turtle up and kill waves of weak enemies", never getting more complex or involved. The plot is extremely basic and honestly kinda boring, but unlike Conquest it's actually coherent. I found the cast to be way more forgettable than Conquest across the board.

Revelations is effectively a terrible romhack cobbled together out of bits and pieces of both Conquest and Birthright and manages to be worse than either of them, which is honestly kind of an achievement.

If you're just looking to pick one up and knock it out to say "I played Fates", pick Birthright. It's a solid 6.5/10 experience and is pretty quick to blast through. If you're willing to put a bunch of time into it, I'd say Conquest probably brings the most to the table out of the three, even if it's a deeply flawed experience. Revelations isn't worth your time or energy unless you are ravenously hungry for more Fates after playing both of the others.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hot take: Heirs of Fate is the best part of Fates