Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1108780308189442048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

They wouldn't charge the pilots. That tweet is poorly worded at best and deliberately provocative at worst. Boeing charged extra for the safety features (which they should not have done, safety features should not be optional), the airlines/operators choose not to pay extra for those features so the pilots didn't have them. It would be more clear if they hadn't mentioned pilots in the tweet at all.

It's just bad writing by whoever sent the tweet. Here's the article:

headline posted:

Doomed Boeing Jets Lacked 2 Safety Features That Company Sold Only as Extras

lede posted:

As the pilots of the doomed Boeing jets in Ethiopia and Indonesia fought to control their planes, they lacked two notable safety features in their cockpits.

One reason: Boeing charged extra for them.

(the quoted text fits in the twitter character limit)

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 21, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

they took it over during the Six Days war and then never really gave it back

I'm wondering if Bashar Assad has been told this. Of course, I'm not sure Syria is in any shape to really protest.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Groovelord Neato posted:

felons should be able to vote from jail.

But they'll vote themselves out of jail!!! :supaburn:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/EverySheriff/status/1108779582394695680

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Lol. Trump openly doing poo poo to the military that all the chuds thought Obama was doing in secret.

hE LoVeS aRe TrOoPs!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So doesn't Jared using Trump's twitter to say "Golan Heights is Israeli" legitimize territory taken by conquest again?

Isn't that the most destabilizing thing you could possibly say

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

the dumbest part isn't the inclusion of maduro but the fact we';re responsible for pol pot and saddam.
I know literally nothing about the US role in Cambodia - can you give a couple-sentence-summary of how we're responsible?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This poo poo is pretty loving amazing

https://twitter.com/saywhatagain/status/1108741516988739584?s=19

https://twitter.com/NJTRANSIT/status/1108702325693124608?s=19

https://twitter.com/NJTRANSIT/status/1108707460997619712?s=19

https://twitter.com/NJTRANSIT/status/1108707300297052160?s=19

America runs on Dunkin

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oh, america's mass transit is weird and unreliable because donut chain employees are responsible for operating it

Privat! I! ZATION!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

America runs on Dunkin

make this the last post in USPOL winter

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Yes because having a member of management go speak to them obviously worked so well the first time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

I know literally nothing about the US role in Cambodia - can you give a couple-sentence-summary of how we're responsible?

nixon/kissinger's bombing of cambodia during the vietnam war destabilized the country (we dropped nearly as much ordnance as we had in the pacific theatre during WWII) which allowed the khmer rogue to take control. we also helped them keep the seat in the UN as democratic kampuchea.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

James Garfield posted:

It's just bad writing by whoever sent the tweet. Here's the article:

(the quoted text fits in the twitter character limit)

What's weird is this article was the first to say the Max comes with 2 AoA censors. Every other article I saw mentioned only one AoA sensor, and that this was a concerning single point of failure type of situation. Odd. But either way, gently caress Boeing for making essential safety equipment standard loving issue.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Why does a retail store open a train station?

Because it's in their contact, duh!

I feel like there's at least one follow up question that could be asked here.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

That’s the good poo poo

The more people that come out for this the better

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

paternity suitor posted:

That’s the good poo poo

The more people that come out for this the better

I mean on the one hand it's great that a member of the New Democrat Coalition is coming out for this stuff. On the other hand he's still a member of the New Democrat Coalition and despite claiming to be a progressive he's quite moderate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

drat if that doesn't sum up US relations with I/P in a nutshell

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grondoth posted:

Oh, america's mass transit is weird and unreliable because donut chain employees are responsible for operating it

Privat! I! ZATION!

most train services dont need the station buildings any more

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1108784625294475264

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

A literal state run mass transit system: Mr. Dunkin Donuts shift manager sir, can you please maybe try to open the doors to the train station you control for some reason in our capitalist hellscape? No? Well ok, then, gosh those twitter people aren't going to like this...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
in the New York metro area, you can probably get to any track or platform without going in the actual building and you can either buy a ticket from a machine or on your phone or on the train

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"An end to gerrymandering" and "an end to voter suppression" are great but I'd rather hear how exactly he proposes to do either one.

Also Seth Moulton is trash and quite frankly you can find better candidates who advocate for the same stuff.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

nixon/kissinger's bombing of cambodia during the vietnam war destabilized the country (we dropped nearly as much ordnance as we had in the pacific theatre during WWII) which allowed the khmer rogue to take control. we also helped them keep the seat in the UN as democratic kampuchea.

that makes sense thank you

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

beejay posted:

A literal state run mass transit system: Mr. Dunkin Donuts shift manager sir, can you please maybe try to open the doors to the train station you control for some reason in our capitalist hellscape? No? Well ok, then, gosh those twitter people aren't going to like this...

you dont need access to the building to get on the trains at that train station so I want to know what his original complaint was

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wasn't all that in the House bill anyway?

also who the gently caress is seth moulton

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

exploded mummy posted:

you dont need access to the building to get on the trains at that train station so I want to know what his original complaint was

Not being able to wait inside when it's cold? I don't know the station in question.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

exploded mummy posted:

in the New York metro area, you can probably get to any track or platform without going in the actual building and you can either buy a ticket from a machine or on your phone or on the train

Yeah seriously, I see no problem with this. People can stand out in the weather and wait for their train. Or maybe they should buy a donut, fuckin loiterers.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

"An end to gerrymandering" and "an end to voter suppression" are great but I'd rather hear how exactly he proposes to do either one.

Also Seth Moulton is trash and quite frankly you can find better candidates who advocate for the same stuff.

Doesn’t matter, the more people say it the more normal it becomes. This is all really “common sense” stuff that the public eats up

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If NJ locks their train stations at night, where do the homeless people sleep?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

There's a statistical test you can run to determine if a location is gerrymandered, just make any map that fails the test to a certain level is illegal

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Random Stranger posted:

There's a big difference between "necessary safety feature that has been included in the past but now it's an expensive option on our new jets" and "new safety feature we came up with that's very expensive but air travel has been doing fine without it for decades". But as a layman, it really sounds like it was a safety feature that was necessary for integrating other new features of the jet.

No this is completely wrong, they added larger engines and didn't want to re-design the rest of the airframe so the engines had to be moved forward which unbalanced it. The software MCAS was added to make it handle like the old unmodified jet and added an undocumented feature to help with stalls.

The thing that told the plane that it was stalling could fail, but you'd only be warned about this failure if you bought the upgraded safety package. The is NOT some new safety thing, it's a necessary component to keep the plane from nose-diving into the ground because of bad information.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

But you see he said the magic words so he's magically no longer the most bipartisan member of congress from New England!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wasn't all that in the House bill anyway?

also who the gently caress is seth moulton

34th most bipartisan member of congress, most bipartisan from New England, Most Bipartisan from Massachusetts. Attempted to dethrone Nancy Pelosi because she wasn't moderate enough. Got really mad when AOC said Pelosi was being challenged from the right-wing on her speakership. There are better choices, and this should only be taken as a possible bellweather of the Democratic party trending leftward

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Perhaps they sought shelter from The Salivating One who hovers over the city and devours those who are outside unprotected when its sole baleful eye is cast upon them :shrug:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Grondoth posted:

So doesn't Jared using Trump's twitter to say "Golan Heights is Israeli" legitimize territory taken by conquest again?

Isn't that the most destabilizing thing you could possibly say

They already did this when the moved the embassy to Jerusalem. Its also why no one else actually moved the embassy.

Republicans don't actually care about stability in the middle east

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's my rep and this area is too high income to elect a good dem so it's just republicans who are socially liberal.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

theflyingorc posted:

Cambodia was neutral in the Vietnam War, but de facto allowed the North Vietnamese to use parts of the eastern, less developed part of the country as part of the Ho Chi Minh trail---perhaps out of some ideological affinity, but more because they didn't have a lot of ways to stop it. The United States encouraged/launched a coup against the government of Cambodia, and a right-wing general placed himself in control, and started to fight actively against the NVA, along with a gigantic bombing campaign against the Ho Chi Minh trail. This radicalized and destabilized the country, leading in the next five years to the formation of the Khmer Rouge. (They had actually been present before then, but were not very active). In 1975, around the same time as the NVA launched their final invasion of the South, the Khmer Rouge took power in Cambodia, which they renamed.

So, the US didn't sponsor or support the Khmer Rouge, quite the opposite. But by militarizing Cambodia, we turned a country that at one point was stable into a country that was unstable, and led to the rise of the Khmer Rouge.

After 1975, the United States supported the Khmer Rouge because of complex alliances and regional rivalries. Vietnam and Cambodia were both communists, but Vietnam was allied with the Soviet Union, and Cambodia was allied with China. The relationship between China, Vietnam and Cambodia was not about ideology as much as national divisions. Vietnam invaded Cambodia and set up their own communist government there. Because the United States was at that point reconciling with China, but not with the Soviet Union, it supported the Khmer Rouge against Cambodia's Vietnamese-led government.

That is the really really short version.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EwokEntourage posted:

Republicans don't actually care about stability in the middle east

A lot of them actually want instability in the middle east because this is a prerequisite for the prophesied apocalypse.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

There are better choices, and this should only be taken as a possible bellweather of the Democratic party trending leftward

Totally. Moderates supporting lists of ideas like this are a good sign of where the party is headed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ashcans posted:

If NJ locks their train stations at night, where do the homeless people sleep?

Congrats on identifying WHY they lock their stations at night! Don't have to worry about homeless people if we leave all of them to die of exposure.