Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Andre Weed 420 posted:

Where do you live? I'm seeing both of them in June. I'm in Memphis, TN but I'm hoping to drive up and see TWDY

I live in New Orleans. TWDY's coming here, but Mono's going to Spanish Moon in Baton Rouge, which is where I saw them last time (September of last year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Apparently TWDY thinks Denver has AIDS or something because they're not coming within a billion miles of here

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

snortpocket posted:

Apparently TWDY thinks Denver has AIDS or something because they're not coming within a billion miles of here

Go see Mono at the Bluebird this Saturday to make up for it, I'll be there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apparently it actually came out last month, but I just wanted to let you all know that Souvenir's Young America's new album is out. It's called The Name Of The Snake, and it's pretty much a continuation to An Ocean Without Water.

http://www.myspace.com/souvenirsyoungamerica

If you haven't listened to them yet, I urge you to. They play music that I can only describe as the soundtrack to a dreary and desolate-feeling space western.

If you have listened to them before, you can expect more of the same kind of awesome, haunting tunes they've been putting out for a few years.

I really can't recommend these guys enough, though. Check this out if a dark post-rock/post-metal mix sounds like your kind of thing.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Would Shels count as post rock? Don't care, they're loving amazing. 1 track into Sea of the Dying Dhow and I'm loving this poo poo. Mahumodo too.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Apparently it actually came out last month, but I just wanted to let you all know that Souvenir's Young America's new album is out. It's called The Name Of The Snake, and it's pretty much a continuation to An Ocean Without Water.

http://www.myspace.com/souvenirsyoungamerica

If you haven't listened to them yet, I urge you to. They play music that I can only describe as the soundtrack to a dreary and desolate-feeling space western.

If you have listened to them before, you can expect more of the same kind of awesome, haunting tunes they've been putting out for a few years.

I really can't recommend these guys enough, though. Check this out if a dark post-rock/post-metal mix sounds like your kind of thing.
Thanks, I'm really liking this. Loving the harmonica. If these guys had been around 30 years ago then I think they would have been the perfect to use for the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy theme.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
I've recently discovered the band Slow Six and they are very good. Plenty of electric piano and violin if that's your thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpvlfmlA1dE

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I think I finally found my favourite post rock album of all time. God Is An Astronaut's self titled. The new album is great too, but the s/t is just amazing.

If anyone has any recommendations for similar bands, let me know. I'm not so much into the glitch side of Post rock, although I'm willing to give anything a go.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I heard The Mercury Program is a great band. :ironicat:

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
Is anyone going to see Eluvium on any of the remaining dates on their tour? Like maybe Chicago tomorrow, or whatever other cities are left? If so, would you mind buying me a shirt? I bought a medium red one and it looked like it'd be large enough it's definitely too small. My fault for not trying it on I guess.

If someone can help me out I can either just pay you for the shirt + shipping or we can do a swap if you were planning on buying a medium red one. Buy a large instead and I'll send you the medium and cover shipping. I have PMs or you can email me in my profile.

Also Eluvium were amaaaazing. He's touring with two other guys, one of whom is Charles Buckingham who is the other half of Concert Silence. And playing a lot off Similes so the show was surprisingly upbeat despite his Ian Curtis-esque downer vocals.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tim Curry Favor posted:

Is anyone going to see Eluvium on any of the remaining dates on their tour? Like maybe Chicago tomorrow, or whatever other cities are left? If so, would you mind buying me a shirt? I bought a medium red one and it looked like it'd be large enough it's definitely too small. My fault for not trying it on I guess.

If someone can help me out I can either just pay you for the shirt + shipping or we can do a swap if you were planning on buying a medium red one. Buy a large instead and I'll send you the medium and cover shipping. I have PMs or you can email me in my profile.

Also Eluvium were amaaaazing. He's touring with two other guys, one of whom is Charles Buckingham who is the other half of Concert Silence. And playing a lot off Similes so the show was surprisingly upbeat despite his Ian Curtis-esque downer vocals.

there's another goon that I know named Uggy who might be going. Shoot him an email at sealboy6 AT gmail dot com and maybe he can get one for you

EDIT: lol you've already contacted him over last.fm!

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~

Lawnie posted:

there's another goon that I know named Uggy who might be going. Shoot him an email at sealboy6 AT gmail dot com and maybe he can get one for you

EDIT: lol you've already contacted him over last.fm!

hahaha what are the odds. I'm gonna email him anyway as I haven't heard from him. Maybe the fact that I'm on here too helps my "not weird" cause.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Tim Curry Favor posted:

Maybe the fact that I'm on here too helps my "not weird" cause.

No, I don't believe it does.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Jan posted:

I heard The Mercury Program is a great band. :ironicat:

I actually got around to listening to them, not bad!

New The Ascent of Everest and Té albums next month :woop:

Vormav
Jan 28, 2005

Stoat posted:

I think I finally found my favourite post rock album of all time. God Is An Astronaut's self titled. The new album is great too, but the s/t is just amazing.

If anyone has any recommendations for similar bands, let me know. I'm not so much into the glitch side of Post rock, although I'm willing to give anything a go.

I'd check out Jakob if you have a moment. There's a guy on YouTube who's uploaded just about everything they've done. Someone earlier in the thread suggested Semaphore as a good place to start, and I'd agree that that's a solid recommendation. I checked out the rest of their stuff after listening to Controle, personally, since I liked what they managed to accomplish with such a simple motif. I will say that so far I haven't found a song of theirs that I haven't enjoyed, and the only other band that's been able to reach anywhere close to that level of listening enjoyment for me is God is an Astronaut--but, since not everyone's tastes are the same, your mileage may vary.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Rhgr posted:

New Té album next month :woop:

Oh gently caress yes this is going to be sweet.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Finally, someone mentions a good band like The Ascent of Everest, unlike boring TWDY or God is an Astronaut poo poo or whatever the My Goon Post-Rock Recommendations are.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
I forgot Mercury Program. As in, I forgot that they were lame too.

albear fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 26, 2010

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I take back everything I didn't say about The Mercury Program.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Who the heck are the Mercury Program

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well I had an urge to find a new band the other day. What I wanted to find a band that mainly mixed keyboards with drums. Just some nice keys and some badass beats. I like bands like Toe, Hella, Lite, Giraffes? Giraffes! and wanted something along those lines.

While searching I stumbled across mouse on the keys. and it is pretty close to what I was looking for. Check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kYY8iMxZKs

Plus I give props to any man that can wear a suit and rock out on the drums. Must be hot as gently caress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFoetd0sD6Y

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 27, 2010

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

slowdave posted:

Who the heck are the Mercury Program

Super cool is what they are, a lot of Tortoise influence. check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxoZ8U11hF4

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Harminoff posted:

Well I had an urge to find a new band the other day. What I wanted to find a band that mainly mixed keyboards with drums. Just some nice keys and some badass beats. I like bands like Toe, Hella, Lite, Giraffes? Giraffes! and wanted something along those lines.

While searching I stumbled across mouse on the keys. and it is pretty close to what I was looking for. Check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kYY8iMxZKs

Plus I give props to any man that can wear a suit and rock out on the drums. Must be hot as gently caress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFoetd0sD6Y

Thanks for this, I love Hella and Giraffes? Giraffes! so I'll be checking this out.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

thehustler posted:

Thanks for this, I love Hella and Giraffes? Giraffes! so I'll be checking this out.

You might be interested in Don Caballero

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
For any emusic members, 50 song booster-packs are on sale right now for $19.99. I used one to pick up the new Red Sparowes and GIAA as well as a few other delights.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

The Consultant posted:

Super cool is what they are, a lot of Tortoise influence. check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxoZ8U11hF4

Kinda boring but I remember hearing some of that in Pandora like 5 years ago when it was still available outside the US.

Tortoise influences are good, I'd much rather have that than EITS worship.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

Colt Reguery posted:

Also for a much more electronic post-rock feel, another Australian band, Pivot

Pivot's first album is amazing. I mean listen to those drums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaLFsaR2tio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRbVUJensko

Though they changed a lot on their second album, maybe it's because they got signed to Warp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK0eCViLgow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DbM9FGTk-E

Medical fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 28, 2010

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

The Consultant posted:

You might be interested in Don Caballero

Already a fan, but thanks :)

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
New Grails is good as gently caress.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
I wike Tortoise.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Grails sucks, Tortoise sucks, and since I don't like music that puts babies to sleep I went and saw Mono live last Thursday.

The setlist was about the same as everywhere else for this tour -- that is:
Ashes in the Snow
Burial at Sea
The Kidnapper Bell
Pure As Snow (Trails of the Winter Storm)
Sabbath
Yearning
Follow the Map
Halcyon (Beautiful Days)
Everlasting Light

Mono's kind of daunting, they say they're into touring all for the fans yet don't speak a single word throughout any of their shows. But it was kind of nostalgic for me, as they played in the same room I first saw them 5-6 years ago. It's a tiny room, the stage is barely two feet high and you could basically climb up any time and head backstage. Which is what I did back then to have my iPod autographed, and what I did this time to just hang out a little.

They're great guys.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They played Ashes In The Snow AND Pure As Snow? :swoon:

When I saw 'em last September, they played 2 of the 3 songs I really wanted to hear them play (Ashes In The Snow and Yearning), but not Pure As Snow.

I'm seeing them next Wednesday and I reeeeally hope they play Pure As Snow this time around.

Seeing it played on the Holy Ground DVD has made me want it even more.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch

Jan posted:

Grails sucks, Tortoise sucks, and since I don't like music that puts babies to sleep I went and saw Mono live last Thursday.

I fall asleep to Hymn of the Immortal Wind all the time. And I am an infant

Shadalator fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 2, 2010

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
gently caress you all and getting to see Mono. In the 5 years that I've been listening to them, they've never once played Ireland, and I've never had the money / time to go to the UK to see them. *sheds a single tear as he watches Holy Ground for the 10th time*

Jan posted:

Grails sucks, Tortoise sucks

Thought you were cool :negative: Nice that you got to hang out with Mono though :)

DiscW
Jul 21, 2006
I saw TWDY on Sunday, and they sounded very different then what I expected, much noisier and louder. Most of their songs had a feel similar to Communal Blood, it was pretty damned great.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Rhgr posted:

gently caress you all and getting to see Mono. In the 5 years that I've been listening to them, they've never once played Ireland, and I've never had the money / time to go to the UK to see them. *sheds a single tear as he watches Holy Ground for the 10th time*

Thought you were cool :negative: Nice that you got to hang out with Mono though :)

Dude you shoulda come to the Scala show a month or two back that me and lottie went to!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Does anyone know any bands that make music similar to the second part of 'He Films The Clouds Pt. 2' by MaybeSheWill? Specifically the part that kicks in at around 4:15. Song here on Youtube. I just heard it for the first time and god drat do I feel good now.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Was supposed to see mono last week but I was working at 4am and already super tired so I didn't go. I then missed buried inside the next day cause I was in the wrong town.

fffffffffff

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
I was supposed to see Mono last week but I broke my hip two days before the concert. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Just battering in to say I love the Maybeshewill EP & album.