Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Freight trains are bullshit. The private company hauling its trash grains from nowhere to nowhere gets 100% traffic priority over everyone driving, walking, biking, and taking the bus. Either turn every train crossing into a bridge or a tunnel.

Want me to wait fifteen minutes for a freight train? Tell me who to invoice for my time.

One of the main streets through the town I live in has a railroad crossing across it and it's next to a train yard or something because several times a day, you get a train creeping forward and backing up across the crossing, blocking the crossing for a good 10-15 minutes at a time. This will happen at like 4pm in the afternoon, so you get traffic backed up for like a quarter mile down the road. It's complete bullshit.

Not gonna lie, I've weaved between the crossing gates to avoid getting stuck in that mess. Not something I'd normally do but the train's going like 5 miles an hour and nowhere near the crossing when the gates first go down.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Poizen Jam posted:

Here's an absolutely bizarre trend found throughout the Canadian province of Newfoundland: The Mother in Law Door

Elsewhere a 2nd floor door without a deck is OSHA. In my home province, it's a way of life. Also has an awesome name too.

Here's a taste of the wonders found inside my link:

House I'm buying has one of these (sliding glass door to a deck that was never built). The fuckin' lender is making me installing railing before they'll close. Only a little sore about it because it's literally bolted closed, and I will be building a deck, just not in the next 2 weeks before I own the place.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tonberrytoby posted:

Reminds me of this classic:
https://youtu.be/BqpayZ2JqlU

Almost all the "safe" alternatives would be postworthy today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naix-f6KSIg

Why don't they look? :qq:

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
MY wonderful home town decided years ago that the most economical place for train tracks was right through the core of the city. Now the downtown strip, which includes one of the busiest roads in the city and all the bars nearby, has trains running through it whenever the hell they feel like. This decision has ended poorly on a couple of occasions.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

House I'm buying has one of these (sliding glass door to a deck that was never built). The fuckin' lender is making me installing railing before they'll close. Only a little sore about it because it's literally bolted closed, and I will be building a deck, just not in the next 2 weeks before I own the place.

Dumb question maybe but it seems like you could just make the seller take care of that.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
We all know the proper solution to the door situation, you just need some plywood and spray paint

(And for those who somehow didn't already know, the door in the game is locked with no key and requires the maximum level of lockpicking skill to open)

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Poizen Jam posted:

Here's an absolutely bizarre trend found throughout the Canadian province of Newfoundland: The Mother in Law Door

Elsewhere a 2nd floor door without a deck is OSHA. In my home province, it's a way of life. Also has an awesome name too.

Here's a taste of the wonders found inside my link:

Isn't that just a drift door? Sounds like it'd be useful in the winter months in that part o' the world.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bjay9 posted:

MY wonderful home town decided years ago that the most economical place for train tracks was right through the core of the city. Now the downtown strip, which includes one of the busiest roads in the city and all the bars nearby, has trains running through it whenever the hell they feel like. This decision has ended poorly on a couple of occasions.

Nah could be worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zslOC_uW3H4

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I know a guy that tried to jump onto a train going 15 miles an hour. Being a double amputee at 17 is pretty terrible.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Grave $avings posted:

Isn't that just a drift door? Sounds like it'd be useful in the winter months in that part o' the world.

No. You wouldn't want to step into a drift from there, because the drifts have two states, powder and ice. One will have them finding your corpse in April, the other will make for great fail vids when you try to go home.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fire exit aside, is that a fuel tin on top of a stack of bread racks?

OSHA and food safety violation double feature.

:bravo:

Grave $avings posted:

quote:

In early Newfoundland, before Confederation, most rural homes were built with only one door, which was usually in the back of the house and led into the mudroom just off the kitchen…the kitchen being the one room in the home that was heated, usually by a wood stove.

After Newfoundland joined Confederation in 1949, Ottawa regulated that for fire safety reasons all homes must have both a front and back door.

Now keep in mind that most Newfoundland homes were built by the people who live in them. They were usually small, no more than what was needed (or what could be heated by a single wood stove) so a front door was just an unnecessary added expense that would never get used anyway.

Newfoundlanders, being the law-abiding souls that they are, felt obligated to meet all the requirements of this new law but government regulations said nothing about having to install stairs!

So, as a defiant Newfoundlander might say, “You asked for a door? …there’s your drat door ‘bye, you didn’t say nottin’ bout no drat stairs”.

Over time, as usually happens…stories are told and embellished with a little Newfoundland humor…and so the ‘mother in law door’ was born.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Fire exit aside, is that a fuel tin on top of a stack of bread racks?

OSHA and food safety violation double feature.

:bravo:

Looks like it's also one of those "CARB Compliant" gascans with the spring-loaded nozzle. So also EPA because those loving things spill everywhere (in my experience) because they're either poorly designed or break. Better to just drop a extra $30-40 on one of the galvanized metal ones that are exempt.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1GA5gXuWM

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

this literally happened in charlie and the chocolate factory

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Segmentation Fault posted:

this literally happened in charlie and the chocolate factory

well not literally, as I'm pretty sure Charlie lived

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Duckbill posted:

well not literally, as I'm pretty sure Charlie lived

Youtube says this dude was merely "seriously injured", so no big deal.

nope nope nope nope

Elevators have always been on my "things to fear" list, although for some reason I've always been more scared of the people I'm riding with being trapped in doors while I look on in helpless horror than anything else.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No. You wouldn't want to step into a drift from there, because the drifts have two states, powder and ice. One will have them finding your corpse in April, the other will make for great fail vids when you try to go home.

Thanks! You learn something new every day!

I remember now that I was thinking of a very old house near here (pictured below) that was built with a similar arrangement --- someone told me the door was for snow drifts.

But I recall now being told by a building historian that it was a "coffin door" built in there (penteve aside_ so that large furniture could be expediently moved in and out of the 2nd story, as well as coffins for those who died up there when it was common to "lay out" the bodies of the deceased at home.

The house in question:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ExecuDork posted:

I love the presenter, he keeps insisting that the people aren't stupid, they just didn't think. What's the definition of stupid?

The message is supposed to be "You're not stupid, so you wouldn't do this, right? Well, these people weren't stupid either, they just made one stupid decision at the wrong time." to try to make the viewer actually apply it to themself and not just dismiss it as something that happens to dumb people.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

nope nope nope nope

Elevators have always been on my "things to fear" list, although for some reason I've always been more scared of the people I'm riding with being trapped in doors while I look on in helpless horror than anything else.

There's only one mode of transport in the world that's safer than airplanes. It's elevators.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FIRST TIME posted:

One of the main streets through the town I live in has a railroad crossing across it and it's next to a train yard or something because several times a day, you get a train creeping forward and backing up across the crossing, blocking the crossing for a good 10-15 minutes at a time. This will happen at like 4pm in the afternoon, so you get traffic backed up for like a quarter mile down the road. It's complete bullshit.

Not gonna lie, I've weaved between the crossing gates to avoid getting stuck in that mess. Not something I'd normally do but the train's going like 5 miles an hour and nowhere near the crossing when the gates first go down.

Bjay9 posted:

I'm guessing this is actually really common, because it describes my city too. At least most of the crossings downtown are underpasses, but the whole SE quadrant of the city regularly gets hosed by the train. I got stuck at crossings so often I'll now drive 5-10 minutes longer to avoid level crossings.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's only one mode of transport in the world that's safer than airplanes. It's elevators.

I didn't say it was logical, just that the idea of watching one of my loved ones get slowly cut in half by a three-ton metal box on hydraulics is something that freaks me out.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/25/kayak-firm-fined-200000-over-death-of-employee-in-industrial-oven

quote:

A kayak firm found guilty of corporate manslaughter after an employee became trapped in an industrial oven and died has been fined £200,000.

Pyranha Mouldings was convicted by a jury in January after a six-week trial. The company was also found guilty of two charges under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Peter Mackereth, 60, managing director of Pyranha Mouldings, was also convicted of two charges under the same health and safety legislation.

At Wednesday’s sentencing hearing, the trial judge, sitting at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, imposed the £200,000 fine on the company.

Mackereth was given a prison sentence of nine months, suspended for two years and a fine of £25,000. Mr Justice MacDuff also awarded costs against the two defendants jointly in the total sum of £90,000.

Father-of-three Alan Catterall, 54, was carrying out cleaning work on the oven at Runcorn-based firm in December 2010. It had been shut down for maintenance and once the work had been completed, the oven was switched back on by a colleague, who was engaged to Catterall’s daughter, and put into warm-up mode.

A few minutes later, smoke was seen coming from the oven and when operators opened the door to find the source, they discovered Catterall’s body. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Catterall suffered severe burns and died of shock after becoming trapped in the large bespoke oven, which was designed to accommodate the moulds for two kayaks.

:gonk:

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Bjay9 posted:

That is human arrogance dating back to when the Pharoahs building the Nile down the middle of Cairo

Fiend fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 26, 2015

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
poo poo like that... loving lockout tagout exists for a reason. If you ever see someone defeating a lockout please punch them right in the nuts

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fiend posted:

That is human arrogance dating back to when the Pharoahs building the Nile down the middle of Cairo

I don't know about what it's like in other countries, but based on the laws associated with the railways in Canada, it would probably be loads easier to re-route a river than gently caress with the railroad right-of-way. I'm only half-joking, too.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So why no emergency shutoff inside the oven? Or is that one of the things they were cited for? Sure it'd literally cook a normal switch, but you could put a ceramic button on the end of a pole down an insulated shaft to the actual button or whatever, especially since the oven was already custom

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
I remember being told by my grandfather that if you're ever in an elevator freefall, you should immediately move to a corner and stand on one leg (he worked in a mine at some point in his life, when he wasn't a literal lumberjack). The reasoning is that you'd shatter just that one leg when it hit the ground: whether or not this is true, it's amusing to think about for the fifth guy in an elevator.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Youtube says this dude was merely "seriously injured", so no big deal.

nope nope nope nope

If elevators bother you, try a cage in a mineshaft. Only a mile drop if the cable snaps!

And if that bothers you, try a work deck! Look ma, no walls! (There's some talking an explanation starting around 2 minutes in). The full ride lasted about 15 minutes or so. When they get done refurbishing it you'll be able to make the trip in 3 minutes flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYG5Q1fpDxc

Proper fall protection was employed, and honestly I wish I had my gopro on when I went down that day because you really miss out on the drop off the side with that tighter shot .

Oh, did I mention that the shaft is slowly getting crushed by the rock walls? Well this guy can explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJCA-dtFKyk

e. For reals though, I know of at least 3 people who died in the cages back when this place was a mine. 2 died when the headframe caught on fire (they were on the cage at the time, and the chairs you can put out for the cage to sit on aren't built to hold the weight of a few thousand feet of cable... at least they weren't back in the 30's. Hope they are now!), and another drowned. Yeah.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 26, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

So why no emergency shutoff inside the oven? Or is that one of the things they were cited for? Sure it'd literally cook a normal switch, but you could put a ceramic button on the end of a pole down an insulated shaft to the actual button or whatever, especially since the oven was already custom
Because you lock that bitch out, so no one can turn on the oven with you inside. See also how you walk on a conveyor belt.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This elevator talk has reminded me of paternosters.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster

(sorry, none of the YouTube videos I found are that good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41344ZQEm0

Which led me to finding out about belt manlifts, which sound terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZwbf_YA28

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Uthor posted:

If you think that's terrifying, try man engines.

e: Video!

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 26, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm not sure if it was this thread or one on mysterious deaths, and I apologize for the vagueness of this question, but- what was the name of the guy who mysteriously died in a factory and only trace evidence of him was found next to some... I don't know, molten metal vat? Acid vat? And there's some kind of sketchy circumstances that he may have been murdered or something.

I know this is completely vague but I was sure I heard about it here and Google is turning up absolutely nothing.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Poizen Jam posted:

I'm not sure if it was this thread or one on mysterious deaths, and I apologize for the vagueness of this question, but- what was the name of the guy who mysteriously died in a factory and only trace evidence of him was found next to some... I don't know, molten metal vat? Acid vat? And there's some kind of sketchy circumstances that he may have been murdered or something.

I know this is completely vague but I was sure I heard about it here and Google is turning up absolutely nothing.

I remember this from an episode of unsolved mysteries.

The guys name was Dave Bocks. Now im going to go rewatch the episode.

Crash_N_Burn fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 26, 2015

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

It was in a nuclear energy facility. From what I remember reading a while ago, it seemed like there was a decent amount of evidence that he may have been killed for threatening to blow the whistle on some shady poo poo that was going on at the facility. Makes more sense than him committing suicide that way.

I was a dumb kid and all the alien/UFO poo poo on Unsolved Mysteries terrified me more than any of the murder stuff. This episode was the one exception because it was just so gruesome.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Dave_Bocks

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

If you think that's terrifying, try man engines.

e: Video!

That drat video link plays an ad and THEN mentions the vid isn't available in my country.

I mean I can watch it with a proxy but that's loving annoying website design.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There's a man engine at the Fun House in a Stockholm theme park. Here's a teenager failing at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki3TAS9ER9g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Uthor posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Metropolis Zone

• Locked thread