Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I don't really give a poo poo about crossbow because all the other problems with the season dwarfs (heh) it as an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

jokes posted:

In this poo poo series, the greater insult is that they did try to ground things in reality in earlier episodes/books and have the dragons be an insurmountable foe within that framework. Imagine if LOTR just had Bilbo show up with a catapult but it's 100% accurate and can fling the Ring into Mt. Doom all the way from Osgiliath.

TBH, this would improve the LOTR movies for me:

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 6, 2019

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kazak posted:

Besides, I've loosed a long-drawn arrow into flying targets numerous times, practically every time I bow hunt

Sure, and so have I. But doing it from a moving platform that bobs uneasily and changes speed slightly with the wind and these aren't birds, they're crazy fast moving dragons and--you get what people are saying. It's impossible for some pirate guy to do it.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
remember guys some loving sperglord made up 3 languages or whatever for this dogshit showcase because we like it to have an accurate mythology but I'll be hosed if we maybe give that dipshit assassinator a SECOND CROSSBOW, just think of the loving cost

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sure, and so have I. But doing it from a moving platform that bobs uneasily and changes speed slightly with the wind and these aren't birds, they're crazy fast moving dragons and--you get what people are saying. It's impossible for some pirate guy to do it.

That's exactly how I did it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i enjoyed the episode but Jamie going back to Cersei might be the dumbest thing in the show thus far, no exaggeration

i kinda assume he is going back to her to finish it. he knows the war will keep going because she will never bend the knee.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

:laffo:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Typo posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about crossbow because all the other problems with the season dwarfs (heh) it as an issue

It's a symptom of the greater disease of the show. Using that crossbow is some galaxy brain writer's idea of poetry and they're going to force it through to the end even if it makes no sense in a given scene

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Goons Are Great posted:

Yup, the Chinese were quite famous with those very early in history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow
Quite practical things. I'd assume more of those should be in GOT, but also they are expensive and also the Chinese in GOT are weirdos, so, bows are fine.

This was the last thread I expected to learn about old weaponry in. Thanks for the link, that's pretty neat!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

remember aryas asssisins creed blade weapon thing she used for 12 seconds

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i hope she kills gendry with it

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

my problem with the bronn scene was that he just waltzed into the room. why doesnt cersei just hire a boatload of assassins to off all her enemies

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The plot doesn't work if everyone involved isn't an idiot.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Goons Are Great posted:

It's amazing to see that Bronn managed to fire a total of two bolts on Drogon, hit once while inflicting a minor wound, while Euron did this with impressive accuary against a flying target going with dragon speed, hitting the chest well, then hitting again and then piercing through the throat, all in the time that Bronn needed to fire even one bolt.

It's amazing to me that everyone just doesn't fly the dragons higher out of range and just drop loving boulders on their loving heads.

Problem solved. jfc

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I’m really glad that D&D treated the dire wolves like a massive pain-in-the-rear end burden that they had to cleverly cheat around so they would have to be burdened with including them in any meaningful way for the most part

Jon didn’t even say goodbye to Ghost, he just loving glared at him as if to say “why were you even in this show at all??”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Were the dire wolves supposed to be a big deal according to the books?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

LadyPictureShow posted:

This was the last thread I expected to learn about old weaponry in. Thanks for the link, that's pretty neat!

If you're into such stuff, there are several solid articles (sadly quite short, but with good sources) about the real Scorpion and how it and similar devices were used by the Romans, too. The show does have a cool design of those compared to what we believe the originals looked like, which has a nice touch.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sheen Sheen posted:

Jon didn’t even say goodbye to Ghost, he just loving glared at him as if to say “why were you even in this show at all??”

"who the gently caress even wants the runt"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

what books? shut up.
-hbo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dragon dead so what

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

ethanol posted:

Dragon dead so what

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Rated PG-34 posted:

my problem with the bronn scene was that he just waltzed into the room. why doesnt cersei just hire a boatload of assassins to off all her enemies

I like the bronn thing because it was so surreal it was hiliarious

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Sheen Sheen posted:

I was honestly expecting them to show a clip of the red bearded dude eating Ghost because he forgot to bring food with after they killed the dragon.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Who gives a poo poo you promised him highgarden. Just agree to it and when it comes time for the ceremony of handing it over, have four guys with spears encircle him and slap him in irons. Then remind everyone to not be presumptuous with nobles and have him quartered.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Men are dogs I'm sorry Brienne had to learn the hard way

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Kazak posted:

I'm pissed that she didn't lose her V card to Tormund. He would've treated her better :(

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

The direwolves, an almost extinct species of supernaturally large apex predators, are found in the first scene of the first book. There are exactly six, and the sixth wolf, taken by the bastard son of the group, is albino. The wolves are hinted and foreshadowed as being inexorably linked to each of the characters.

Then they all get put on busses or are killed off screen without doing jack poo poo lol

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

Who gives a poo poo you promised him highgarden. Just agree to it and when it comes time for the ceremony of handing it over, have four guys with spears encircle him and slap him in irons. Then remind everyone to not be presumptuous with nobles and have him quartered.

but a lannister always pays his debts like a chump you see

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Kazak posted:

the first guy brienne liked turned out to be into dudes and the second one is only into his sister

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Rated PG-34 posted:

but a lannister always pays his debts like a chump you see

I miss Tywin. He wouldn't have let that uppity merc pull that bullshit. He also would have stopped Cersei's 9/11

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
In the books it’s heavily implied that all of the Stark children have some level of innate ability to warg into their direwolves—Jon has several vivid “dreams” where he’s Ghost hunting north of the wall, and Arya does the same thing with Nymeria in the Riverlands. The end of the last book also suggests that Jon might warg into Ghost right before he bleeds out?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Rated PG-34 posted:

if only cersei was smart enough to say, hey bronn, sneak into everyone's bedroom in winterfell and privately kill them, she would have won this game. of thrones

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My problem w/ the crossbow scene is that it's the same one that Tyrion used. And when Tyrion used it he fired it twice and it showed him reloading. But when Bronn used it his reload was completely different.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The only reason bronn is even still alive is that Jamie and tyrion apparently let him leave the castle without raising any alarms

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Weaponized Autism posted:

why didn't dany make the dragons gently caress so she could get more dragons??

They were too busy getting it on with cars carts

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

In the books it’s heavily implied that all of the Stark children have some level of innate ability to warg into their direwolves—Jon has several vivid “dreams” where he’s Ghost hunting north of the wall, and Arya does the same thing with Nymeria in the Riverlands. The end of the last book also suggests that Jon might warg into Ghost right before he bleeds out?

I think I remember these scenes you're talking about. Were they in the show? Because that would be interesting and cool so it's the kind of thing the show would steer away from. You'd also have to show instead of tell it and I'm not sure GoT audiences are quite ready for that level of subtlety.

Last thing to add to the crossbow discussion before we put it to bed is that if the tension in the scene comes from Bronn pointing a loaded crossbow at Jamie, the minute he releases the bolt he gives up his position so it sounds dumb as gently caress.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

*comes in sweaty one arming a crossbow*

"Oh hey Bronn whatre you doing?" *All smiles*

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dragons are all just retarded targaryen incest babies. She could be pregnant with one already

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If a dragon poops is the poop hot n' steamy like magma or is it lukewarm poo poo like this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

jokes posted:

If a dragon poops is the poop hot n' steamy like magma or is it lukewarm poo poo like this show

dragons don't poop