Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

The Dregs posted:

Also you can't hold a drawn bow for more than a few seconds without some serious strain. At least not a old style bow like they have, I'd guess it's possible with modern pulley bows.

That's literally most of the reason for compound bows. The pulleys make it so at full draw your holding like 10% of the full draw weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Kings landing looking awfully deserty. Theres still two episodes for Dany to poo poo in the desert.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

In an impartial system, the current dynasty is Baratheon.

Cersei has the tiniest claim possible by being a Baratheon widow and mother of three """""Baratheons"""""

If the current dynasty is extinguished, the lesser houses of the dynasty would rise (think Karstark/Stark).

Then it would revert to old dynasties. In this case Targaryen.

But a legitimate Baratheon heir out of left field immediately cancels Cersei, the non-existent Baratheon cousins, the Targaryens, the Targaryen cousins (the Blackfyres), etc.

The one true king of Westeros is automatically, by default, Gendry Baratheon, according to law.

But Gendry can only be legitimized by a rightful king/queen, so if Daenrys is the queen Gendry can't take over, and if she isn't the queen she can't legitimize him.

:colbert:

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I liked the bit where the stuff happened.

Wait was that this episode or the last one?

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Next Episode better be 80% Cleganebowl.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of the leaks says the Cleganebowl is going to be a mercy killing by Sandor on a severely dragon burned Mountain.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kurt Loadeater posted:

Man you are digging real deep to discover lil nuggets of poo poo no one else has complained about yet

I almost made a joke a couple of weeks ago about how bronn would somehow corner both jamie and tyrion and shoot them in quick succession with the crossbow, but they somehow did worse and had bronn fire a warning shot. the whole tension of the scene depends on the viewer not understanding how a crossbow works

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

The Dregs posted:

Also you can't hold a drawn bow for more than a few seconds without some serious strain.

the archer guy in the brotherhood without banners taught Arya this in season 3

:rip:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Drone Jett posted:

But Gendry can only be legitimized by a rightful king/queen, so if Daenrys is the queen Gendry can't take over, and if she isn't the queen she can't legitimize him.

:colbert:

dany attacks kings landing, cersei dies. dany dies after being crowned. jon abdicates. gendry is rightfully heir to the iron throne. arya rips off his face, laughs maniacally. the true mad queen has only begun.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i enjoyed the episode but Jamie going back to Cersei might be the dumbest thing in the show thus far, no exaggeration

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

poverty goat posted:

I almost made a joke a couple of weeks ago about how bronn would somehow corner both jamie and tyrion and shoot them in quick succession with the crossbow, but they somehow did worse and had bronn fire a warning shot. the whole tension of the scene depends on the viewer not understanding how a crossbow works

He reloaded it. It was the special quickload one that Joffrey had right?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

here's a man reloading a medieval crossbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-8eOBOffi4&t=106s

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Gendry is a true Baratheon (idiot moron) and asking Arya to be a "lady" was obviously not going to fly. He's so entrenched in the cocktriarchy that he can't think of a unique partnership proposal at all. She's too good for him and I wish he had been caught through the wall by Bronn's bolt.

Has Arya met Yara? I feel like they'd make a good couple.

Also they should've spent this season's Ghost CGI budget on one scene where he dies and then next episode Jon can cry over his dog tag or something, that would've been 1000 times better than what we got.

The pacing of this episode sucked, between the goodbyes and the teleportation and the fuckin ballistas. I haven't rewatched but did they even bother to show a pit crew reloading them quickly? Just yikes.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know I could suspend disbelief when it comes to fire breathing dragons and ice zomies but I just cant get passed their unrealistic depiction of crossbow operation

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kurt Loadeater posted:

You know I could suspend disbelief when it comes to fire breathing dragons and ice zomies but I just cant get passed their unrealistic depiction of crossbow operation

This is dumb. A dragon doesn't exist in real life, a scorpion does. And in real life, scorpions/crossbows/arrows are pretty poo poo at being dead accurate against moving targets, much less accurate against moving flying targets with incredibly powerful scales. They're also pretty poo poo at exploding boats.

In this poo poo series, the greater insult is that they did try to ground things in reality in earlier episodes/books and have the dragons be an insurmountable foe within that framework. Imagine if LOTR just had Bilbo show up with a catapult but it's 100% accurate and can fling the Ring into Mt. Doom all the way from Osgiliath.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Really deep and poetic that Misandry’s last word was telling Daenerys to burn them all.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Kurt Loadeater posted:

Don't forget the archers drawing a bow with a ~100 pound draw weight and holding it for nearly a whole minute.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
why didn't dany make the dragons gently caress so she could get more dragons??

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i enjoyed the episode but Jamie going back to Cersei might be the dumbest thing in the show thus far, no exaggeration

It can only possibly make sense if Jaime intends to kill Cersei and fulfill his arc. He was painted as a dishonorable "kingslayer" for killing the Mad King, and he understands now he has to end Cersei's reign for the good of the realm

Instead he will probably get a beej from his sister and then she will try to kill him with the poison lipstick but whoa it'll actually be Arya who killed Jaime because ???? and is wearing his face

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Weaponized Autism posted:

Because then we would have seen dragon dick and that would mean Tormund would actually be the second coolest thing in the show.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jokes posted:

This is dumb. A dragon doesn't exist in real life, a scorpion does. And in real life, scorpions/crossbows/arrows are pretty poo poo at being dead accurate against moving targets, much less accurate against moving flying targets with incredibly powerful scales. They're also pretty poo poo at exploding boats.

In this poo poo series, the greater insult is that they did try to ground things in reality in earlier episodes/books and have the dragons be an insurmountable foe within that framework. Imagine if LOTR just had Bilbo show up with a catapult but it's 100% accurate and can fling the Ring into Mt. Doom all the way from Osgiliath.

nitpicking stupid poo poo like this to death is dumb as its something 100% of all tv and cinema is guilty of when it comes to weapons

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

I gave it a pass because Bronn is right, even if they rushed them he'd have hosed them both up in short order. He may have been exaggerating when he said Jaime couldn't take him when he was at his best, but Jaime certainly wouldn't have a chance now.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
they should have redirected some of the cgi budget to hiring better writers

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Solice Kirsk posted:

He reloaded it. It was the special quickload one that Joffrey had right?

Yeah. Joffrey's crossbow had that lever reload mechanism, though I have no clue if real crossbows eventually had that to reload.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That Bronn scene was easily the most stupid thing I've ever seen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There were alot of different types of crossbows around. Many weren't even close to being so complicated and reloading them was just a matter of manually pulling back the bowstring to the hook (which would take just as long/short a time as with a normal bow really). They wouldn't necessarily be much more powerful than a bow either, though you can make very strong crossbows by using stirrups and winches and such to enable use of a bow you couldn't really draw manually. Though ultimately that isn't really the point of a crossbow or their greatest strength (and those really powerful ones didn't really begin to show up until the 1300s-1400s in any case), which is simply that compared to a bow they are exceedingly easy to use and that a man doesn't have to spend years training with one to acquire the proper strength and physique to be able to effectively use one powerful enough for war. You could probably teach a man to be an effective enough soldier with a crossbow in a matter of days, which is probably why it was such a popular weapon with mercenaries.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 6, 2019

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah. Joffrey's crossbow had that lever reload mechanism, though I have no clue if real crossbows eventually had that to reload.

he had a chu-ko-nu

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

imagine being a dumbass and liking this show

bring back rome

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

jokes posted:

:goonsay:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Tormund/Ghost spinoff please.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

there's plenty of legit gripes to have about this show but accurate depiction of crossbow operation is definitely not one of them

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

there's plenty of legit gripes to have about this show but accurate depiction of crossbow operation is definitely not one of them

Accurate depiction of crossbows aside, using wwhat's essentially a single shot weapon that requires a considerable and awkward reload time to give a warning shot is exceedingly stupid. It would make sense with a gun which can be fired again simply by pulling a trigger, but these guys don't really have guns do they and writing it into your medieval show without giving thought to how it makes no sense is really stupid and terrible writing.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yup, the Chinese were quite famous with those very early in history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow
Quite practical things. I'd assume more of those should be in GOT, but also they are expensive and also the Chinese in GOT are weirdos, so, bows are fine.

Either way, weapon technology in a world where there is some sort of super magic steel that does fancy things is probably in general not too accurate either way, but at least they could improve it here and there. Not the biggest mistake the show makes, though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wish I could rapidly cross bow this chat

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Accurate depiction of crossbows aside, using wwhat's essentially a single shot weapon that requires a considerable and awkward reload time to give a warning shot is exceedingly stupid. It would make sense with a gun which can be fired again simply by pulling a trigger, but these guys don't really have guns do they and writing it into your medieval show without giving thought to how it makes no sense is really stupid and terrible writing.

This is stupid and terrible. the least stupid part of the episode was the veracity of bow weapon capabilities

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

essos seems to have their poo poo together

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Besides, I've loosed a long-drawn arrow into flying targets numerous times, practically every time I bow hunt

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Weaponized Autism posted:

Yeah let's have unstable incest dragons

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Randarkman posted:

this can't be a serious post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

this can't be a serious post

Why not? Isn't that what happened in the show?