Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
My wifi decided it's good enough to stream PSNow games (fingers crossed), and there are a bunch of Atelier games which I've never played. Which should I go for? I like item crafting, not that into slice of life but if it's done well it's fine. I know they're grouped into series but I don't know if that really matters a lot. I've read Escha and Logy has a more interesting plot and better combat than some others, so maybe that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If you’re not into slice of life Altelier on the whole is gonna be a hard sell for you but Escha & Logy might be a good starting point.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
escha & logy's combat is pretty good but its plot isn't that much more action packed than the others in its trilogy and most of what's cool about it is building on ayesha in the first place

that said i wouldn't really recommend psnow for atelier games because it only has the original ps3 versions

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bussamove posted:

If you’re not into slice of life Altelier on the whole is gonna be a hard sell for you but Escha & Logy might be a good starting point.

Yeah I'd say E&L and from there it depends what parts you did or didn't like.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paperhouse posted:

My wifi decided it's good enough to stream PSNow games (fingers crossed), and there are a bunch of Atelier games which I've never played. Which should I go for? I like item crafting, not that into slice of life but if it's done well it's fine. I know they're grouped into series but I don't know if that really matters a lot. I've read Escha and Logy has a more interesting plot and better combat than some others, so maybe that?

Ryza if you don't want slice of life

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

cheetah7071 posted:

Ryza if you don't want slice of life

but I'd have to buy it :v:

I don't dislike slice of life when it's good, it's not what I usually look for but if it's good I can enjoy it. I think I might give Escha and Logy a try then. I don't know what the difference is with the updated version so I don't feel like I'll be missing anything by playing it on PSNow

is there a pro character pick or are they more or less the same?

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 10, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

but I'd have to buy it :v:

I don't dislike slice of life when it's good, it's not what I usually look for but if it's good I can enjoy it. I think I might give Escha and Logy a try then. I know what the difference is with the updated version so I don't feel like I'll be missing anything by playing it on PSNow

is there a pro character pick or are they more or less the same?
They have extremely minor differences. Pick whichever you like more.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Escha 'cause she got that cute bun-hat.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Which one starts you off on a thin bridge over a death pit that you're 99% likely to fall off of figuring out the controls?

Shadow Tower, yeah. Though Shadow Tower Abyss will kill you with a concrete coffin in the first five seconds also.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King's Field 4 will have the floor break away underneath you into instant death lava if you take 4 steps forward as soon as the game starts.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Endorph posted:

Why? XB2 sold really well and has a pretty big fanbase.

I just meant in time between releases, but I guess I didn't realize it's been 5 years already.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ayesha is way better than Escha and Logy

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Levantine posted:

There's one where you start right next to invisible lava pits or something. That's one of the Shadow Tower's, right?

iirc in shadow tower abyss part of the wall will fall on and kill you early on if you're just mindlessly pushing forward

e: beaten

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
range units in expeditions rome are nuts and there are only two draw backs to them
1. you can't hit units in cover
2. units with shield can deflect all arrows as long as they are not shield broken
the game just gave me a bow that completely ignores 2 and my mc lady is an arrow lady so lol...

i just finished the second siege battle, these are really neat because they make you split up and use your entire team (so both the unique characters and the generics you fill out the ranks with). i mention the game feeling like a classic rag tag team movie like the heist genre or certain types of war films, and these missions really hit those points well. they often have you jumping back and forth between teams. so you may have your main fighting force holding off endless waves here, and then after you complete their turn you jump to your guys who were task with destroying the enemy catapults. also since there are multiple stages to these missions there isn't time to recover from injuries if one of your guys goes down and is in a team that has multiple tasks.

and speaking of catapults, you get to use those in those missions and its pretty fun. you have three types of shots, stone, scatter, fire. you use the fire to basically force enemies to move out of areas since that sticks around on the ground for a bit, scatter shots knock down folks, and then stone is your big damage dealer but its much harder to aim. so you basically use the first two types to get the enemies in position for the stone shots to be effective.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

pentyne posted:

I don't know at what point the FFX sphere grid gets better but for the first 10 hours of the game all I'm doing is following pre-determined paths. The beastman is the first person to jump to another characters sphere grid but the guide I checked said he's not good for taking str or magic so just have him follow Rikku's specifically to steal things.

I still haven't spent a single purple sphere to change a node as it seems like a major decision, but at some point I'll probably get bored and put them all on Tidus' path or something.

By the end of the vanilla game I had done all sorts of weird poo poo, like taken Tidus down Auron's path, Lulu and Yuna down each others' paths, Kimahri down Rikku's path, Rikku down Tidus's path, etc.

Even before the postgame grind you get a fair amount of freedom in how you build people.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat daemon x machina this morning. it had some issues but there were a lot of parts of it i really really had fun with, i hope if they ever make a sequel they balance the game out a bit better, give more in-depth customization and mission design, and keep giving characters like savior and guns empress who were way more entertaining than i expected going in. like the way savior is handled was actually incredible i expected him to be a funny bad guy but they give him way more of an arc than it initially seems he'd get and he's the only character who really interacts with you in fun and memorable ways

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
daemon x machina has a lot of great dialogue and the zoomy robots are fun to control, but i could not focus on the actual main story at all lol. also the midgame has way too many fillery missions that go

guy a: "hey it's you! wait... my computer says you're an enemy..."
guy b: "that's weird, MY computer says YOU'RE an enemy..."
computer: idk
you: lol
guys a and b: "guess we have to fight now"

would happily play a follow up though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh yeah the midgame's pretty repetitive and any moment where grief's on screen is really dull. all of the black lotus missions i think work because they're entirely just the weird dialog without any real pretense of even beginning to care about the plot, which is the part of the writing dxm is good at

the plot i think has the biggest issue of, you're not. a character. grief talks to you like a character but you're not a character. every other character has someone tied to their dynamic so their dialog is entertaining because they're holding conversations. grief, talks monologs at you, for 20 minutes. he's like savior if savior wasn't funny and didnt feel like the writing itself found some humor in how flowery his speech is and how bizarre his moral views and relationships are.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 11, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Daemon X Machina had a story??? This is like learning theres apparently a second shop tied to using the garbage ice cream mechanic.

The first non-expository dialog in Edge of Eternity is a dick joke.

Edit: Mein gott im himmel this writing is someone knowing they have to introduce everyone and their dynamics but this is not deftly handled

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 11, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the story in daemon x machina is goofy and stock but the dialog is half of the reason to play it because the mech stuff is enjoyable but a bit too limited compared to actual armored core and desperately in need of further expansion on its unique ideas. its story progression is straight up nonsensical sometimes but the character writing is really funny and carries a lot of the game's issues compared to actual armored core

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The story of Deamon X Machina is everyone telling you how amazing you are , but because you traded away your voice and character ( as well as everything else) for robot parts it just doesn't work.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah like it's in a weird spot and it really sticks out how all the memorable parts are as memorable as they are cause the existing cast basically cease to acknowledge your presence and you're kinda just jutting into their own epic mecha battles between each other lol. like that's every single one of the black lotuses, the actual plot behind them barely matters what matters is that these characters are getting their cool fights and dramatic climaxes independent of your presence for it

the ending of the game being johnny g excitedly calling your name, is the most defining aspect of how coherent daemon x machina's plot is. loving. johnny g. the guy who doesn't even get writing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the jarring part of dxm's writing that makes me feel like they must've cut some ideas from the game is how often characters ask you to make decisions about what missions you take and what you do on them cause like. there are so many moments in the game that literally don't make sense cause it's characters begging you to do one thing, you stand around completely still and silent for five seconds, and they're like "i see... i guess you won't listen to me then... so we have no choice but to battle..."

at that point please just. have the rookie talk. have the rookie have personality and motivations. at least then these scenes would have a progression to them lol

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

They could have just let you respond/have conversations in the text messages where most of the dialogue takes place anyway. It never felt like they had an actual reason to be silent. But yeah the game is built up of so many parts, each of which is halfway interesting, but dragged down by other stuff.

The mc being silent for no reason also felt odd in Nioh 2, and there they brought in a mouthpiece for you, but then removed him for half the game, which just highlights how bad a decision it was.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh lmao the tutorial for Edge of Eternity is just wild.

Also, Im dying laughing that our plan is to shut a door on a villain who can teleport.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1492089968327421953

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Is that..Amalaur?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it sure is

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

god that delivery feels like it'd be more at home in like, the bard's tale arpg

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah it's really funny and totally at odds with how Serious game for Serious gamers the rest of this story is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't remember KoA being all that serious. It's like 100% middle of the road fantasy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well maybe boring would've been the better word

the point is it doesn't try for comedy like this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Edge of Eternity has got to be the only RPG I can think of where your MP is massively higher, much less higher, than your hp. The protag has 300 hp and 800mp to start, and one of the tutorial characters has 300 hp and 8000mp.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So... are MP costs really high? Are Mana Potions really rare?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Barudak posted:

Edge of Eternity has got to be the only RPG I can think of where your MP is massively higher, much less higher, than your hp. The protag has 300 hp and 800mp to start, and one of the tutorial characters has 300 hp and 8000mp.

FFXIV.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Kingdom Hearts II has your MP much higher than HP to start with (20 HP vs 100 MP) and even though HP grows much faster than MP you still end up with more MP even on Proud (100 HP/140 MP) but even more on Critical (60 HP/120 MP)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Kingdom Hearts II has your MP much higher than HP to start with (20 HP vs 100 MP) and even though HP grows much faster than MP you still end up with more MP even on Proud (100 HP/140 MP) but even more on Critical (60 HP/120 MP)

Hrm, yeah, I do recall this being the case now, I think the low numbers got me

FFXIV I remember nothing about regarding mp/hp numbers

Junpei posted:

So... are MP costs really high? Are Mana Potions really rare?

MP potions are common and a standard spell costs 250 MP. I... don't really understand why they're so big when HP also hasn't grown much. I'm level 8 now and I've got 366 HP and 960 mp now so they aren't increasingly rapidly so I don't get it.

This game is weird. Overstretching its grasp feels like the best way to describe it so far.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, I can respect a game that's a little overambitious rather than one that doesn't seem to have any ambitions at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

MP is only higher in XIV because you get 10k and that number never increases. I dunno exactly what the breakpoint is anymore due to stat squishing you but go over 10k hp by the time you hit like the 60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Makes lol that everyone gets that MP, even classes that don't use it