Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

So good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
This is a drat good tape.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

As soon as I got home I turned this on. Amazing.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Yesssss. This will more than make up for how loving boring the new devin townsend is, not like I was expecting much anyway.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I'm not feeling it too much, which is a shame considering I adore Portal of I. This doesn't have the same magical, grandiose atmosphere. Maybe that'll change on future listens but I'm disappointed. The fact that half the tracks are really short instrumentals doesn't help things.

Also, if anything, the production is even more cluttered and inorganic than PoI.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Defiant Sally posted:

This is a drat good tape.

I dunno, I would assume it was recorded digitally

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

COOL CORN posted:

I dunno, I would assume it was recorded digitally

Everything is a tape regardless of recording format.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Also, if anything, the production is even more cluttered and inorganic than PoI.

Im curious as to what exactly you want to hear from them, re: being inorganic. I think it sounds fantastic.

It could stand to be a bit longer though, considering PoI was 75 minutes.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Do you know what I miss? The band recording it live while being tracked on separate channels. Do bands even do that anymore besides thinking it'll save them money?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Turk February posted:

Do you know what I miss? The band recording it live while being tracked on separate channels. Do bands even do that anymore besides thinking it'll save them money?

I think Kreator did that on their past few albums, where they recorded it all live together as a band in the studio and then mashed together different takes to produce the finished album.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Defiant Sally posted:

Im curious as to what exactly you want to hear from them, re: being inorganic. I think it sounds fantastic.

It could stand to be a bit longer though, considering PoI was 75 minutes.

I'm no production expert, but Portal of I, despite not being a lo-fi production job at all, had a hazy BM-style guitar tone that gave it a pretty atmospheric, forest-y feeling. With Citadel, the guitar tone is way chunkier, drier, and more up-front most of the time, and it doesn't have nearly the same sort of atmosphere. The acoustic bits have a really nice, open feeling as usual though.

Then again I like their production job on Aurora Veil the most out of all their releases, because the roughness gives it a certain charm.

Turk February posted:

I'm pretty sure Gridlink do this.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Turk February posted:

Krallice's Years Past Matter was recorded live in studio, all first take except for track 4, and it's become one of my favorite albums. Can't help but agree with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9GAxrQHmg

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tomorrow's gonna rule :black101:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I love Judas Priest as much as the next guy, but jesus loving christ, almost $60 for that ticket?

EDIT: vvvvvvv you poor bastard.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 29, 2014

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Turk February posted:

I love Judas Priest as much as the next guy, but jesus loving christ, almost $60 for that ticket?

It's proving to be a better investment than this one at least:

Cancelled one time due to Blizzardocalypse 2014 wrecking north Georgia. "Rescheduled" again due to Manowar deciding the really need to go into the studio instead of do the US make-up dates. Haven't seen any sign of a new date either.

I feel you about that price though. I've never seen Judas Priest live though and while I know I won't be hearing Screaming for Vengeance I still gotta go once and pay my respects, you know?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm broke and I have class all night tomorrow, loving sucks. Pretty sure this is the last time I'll ever have a chance, and I'm gonna miss it (had to miss em a couple years back, too.)

Maybe Maiden will come through sometime. :sigh:

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014
I didn't (couldn't bring myself) to dig through every page of this thread but, I didn't see any mention of Cannibal Corpse in the 20 or so pages that I did read so, without further ado...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcUgRgXo5U

\m/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Why would there be a mention of them? it's not like there's much to say about cannibal corpse at this point.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

A human heart posted:

Why would there be a mention of them? it's not like there's much to say about cannibal corpse at this point.

Their album this year was pretty great again.

They're as steady as it gets for death metal, yet their musicianship is really underrated.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

TeamJesus posted:

They're as steady as it gets for death metal, yet their musicianship is really underrated.

Eh, they're the AC/DC of death metal as far as I'm concerned. It's never horrible but it's the same thing every time and it's never been more than good fun. It's just that AC/DC is a lot more actual fun, because they don't take themselves so seriously.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Got proof?

Fire up the chainsaws, cut their loving heads off is totally serious lyrics.

That being said, CC is lame and entry level bullshit.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

Got proof?

Fire up the chainsaws, cut their loving heads off is totally serious lyrics.

That being said, CC is lame and entry level bullshit.

Like AC/DC is entry level bullshit, but they were more fun. Although I guess you're right, it just always felt for some reason that CC just took themselves too seriously for what they did. Then again, while I've seen them live several times I've never actually met the band at all.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I'm fairly certain that noted World of Warcraft player and goony motherfucker George Fisher does not take his job that seriously. Cannibal Corpse is awesome for what it is. I hope you both get Followed Home Then Killed.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Fenrir posted:

Eh, they're the AC/DC of death metal as far as I'm concerned.

Ummm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud3yXIWwgTk

Yeah... sorry for posting SFU.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Today is hereby declared "loving hell old Finnish metal shits on Cannibal Corpse from a momentous height" day.

This has nothing to do with me waking up and deciding to listen to Ugra-Karma at 6am before reading this thread, and everything to do with the above statement being objective truth.

I recommend a steady diet of Convulse, Belial, (early) Impaled Nazarene, Archgoat, Beherit, Demigod, Demilich, Abhorrence, Purtenance, Depravity aaaand early Barathrum.

Here's some Belial to get you started and in case anyone is stupid enough to disagree with the original statement.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

How did Cannibal Corpse get to be so well known anyway, is it just that they released a billion albums and toured a lot or what? i mean even not very into metal people know about them.

that old album of theirs has a really cool crunchy sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKu6s2qXIfo

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

The Clit Avoider posted:

I recommend a steady diet of Convulse, Belial, (early) Impaled Nazarene, Archgoat, Beherit, Demigod, Demilich, Abhorrence, Purtenance, Depravity aaaand early Barathrum.

yes

Speaking of Finnish insanity, dunno if anyone has mentioned the new Swallowed, but it's a nightmare. Doomy, but also bestial and raw. Straight up frightening in some parts.

http://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/lunarterial

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

A human heart posted:

How did Cannibal Corpse get to be so well known anyway, is it just that they released a billion albums and toured a lot or what? i mean even not very into metal people know about them.

They were in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

Well yeah, that and they've been around for loving ever.

Defiant Sally posted:

I'm fairly certain that noted World of Warcraft player and goony motherfucker George Fisher does not take his job that seriously. Cannibal Corpse is awesome for what it is. I hope you both get Followed Home Then Killed.

:laffo: World of Warcraft?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Cannibal Corpse basically perfected a very generic sound early on (they started off very similar to Schizophrenia era Sepultura and then adopted the NYDM sound around the time of the debuts of the bands surrounding them), and coupled it with schlock and gore lyics (and artwork) that their contemporaries didn't approach and a slightly raised media profile due to the offense caused. They're still popular because they're quite easy to stumble over in mainstream sources, and hold a certain nostalgia value for a lot of people for whom they represent the first foray into death metal via the "pick up the most offensive looking cd/lp in the store" route. I'd imagine they still get meatheads buying their albums based on shock value to this day.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Fenrir posted:

:laffo: World of Warcraft?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_Lv0r-l4c

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

TeamJesus posted:

Someone once described Nile to me as "Cannibal Corpse but not as good musicians". George Kollias had been in Nile for a few years at this point so if anything I'd say CCs musicianship is vastly overrated.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Corpsegrinder's monotone bark is super tiring to listen to and they love having him loud as gently caress in the mix

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

A human heart posted:

I first heard about them in church. Which is about the time I gave my life to satan.

Martout posted:

Someone once described Nile to me as "Cannibal Corpse but not as good musicians".

I think you have this backwards. :colbert:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

CC is boring and

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014
Bah... CC's been doing it since 1988 and have covered the globe. They are still going strong. The material that they produced with Chris Barnes was awesome. Bands come and go but, 26 years of heavy touring and recording gets them my respect. Just sayin...

Wondering how many in this thread even play an instrument :)

VarDovoli fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 29, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i do and i still don't like cannibal corpse :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

VarDovoli posted:

Bah... CC's been doing it since 1988 and have covered the globe. They are still going strong. The material that they produced with Chris Barnes was awesome. Bands come and go but, 26 years of heavy touring and recording gets them my respect. Just sayin...

Wondering how many in this thread even play an instrument :)

I play an instrument and find them ok, not great, but a kitschy listen every once in a while.

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

I play an instrument and find them ok, not great, but a kitschy listen every once in a while.

Yeah I never said that they were the best band in the world. They aren't as technical as some however, I've had fun every time that I've seen them. They contributed to the genre and were ground breaking early on is really all that I intended to say.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

The Clit Avoider posted:

Today is hereby declared "loving hell old Finnish metal shits on Cannibal Corpse from a momentous height" day.

I like this day, do I have to play an instrument to participate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUs3TgYRPQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

Zodijackylite posted:

I like this day, do I have to play an instrument to participate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUs3TgYRPQ

Nope again not at all what i meant. I do like what you linked though :)

I guess I'm just old school :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_SQ430-g7Q