Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

queeb posted:

Orb of storms would still make things fire resistant using pyro though right? I use it and stuff goes cold vuln but still is lightning/fire reistant.
You were using Ashcaller, which adds fire damage to spells. You can have added lightning on spells with this build, but not added cold or added fire, those will gently caress EE up.

Later Orb of Storms doubles for both EE and Mastermind of Discord, so it's effectively killing 75% fire resistance :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Please GGG make claws not awful. They finally added a claw worth using in 2.4, and a new claw worth using in 2.5. And a new top tier fotm skill that works with claws. This is in SPITE of claw nodes being awful pieces of garbage.

I'm planning on going DW Scourge but I got to lvl 77 with no weapon specific nodes then ended up putting them in Sword because Scaeva is reasonably good and cheap. Now I have no clue when I'll be able to actually get Scourge because no one's really farming T16s yet and they're worth like 7 exalts right now.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Ultima66 posted:

Please GGG make claws not awful. They finally added a claw worth using in 2.4, and a new claw worth using in 2.5. And a new top tier fotm skill that works with claws. This is in SPITE of claw nodes being awful pieces of garbage.

I'm planning on going DW Scourge but I got to lvl 77 with no weapon specific nodes then ended up putting them in Sword because Scaeva is reasonably good and cheap. Now I have no clue when I'll be able to actually get Scourge because no one's really farming T16s yet and they're worth like 7 exalts right now.

I'm really hoping Hand of Thought and Action turns out to be good, I'm building with two of them and a choir of the storms and I'm hoping it can spit out respectable damage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has anyone actually tried a build around Scorching Ray and deemed it awful/not awful yet?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

nightwisher posted:

I'm really hoping Hand of Thought and Action turns out to be good, I'm building with two of them and a choir of the storms and I'm hoping it can spit out respectable damage.

They pretty much require dual wielding due to the way they work and it'll be expensive to gear, but it's definitely gonna be strong as gently caress. With 800 int and two of them you've got a base damage of 160-960. That's a base DPS of 980, when Oro's Sacrifice caps out at 772, and you get up to 60% increased WED for free from the claws as well.

I personally wouldn't build around choir of the storm -- I wouldn't be surprised if Astramentis is a BIS for amulets when using Hands.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 7, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Count Uvula posted:

They pretty much require dual wielding due to the way they work and it'll be expensive to gear, but it's definitely gonna be strong as gently caress. With 800 int and two of them you've got a base damage of 160-960. That's a base DPS of 980, when Oro's Sacrifice caps out at 772, and you get up to 60% increased WED for free from the claws as well.

I personally wouldn't build around choir of the storm -- I wouldn't be surprised if Astramentis is a BIS for amulets when using Hands.

Choir's lightning bolt skill adds a TON of damage - you should check out it's damage range, I threw it on my elementalist built for flameblast and it was 3.8k-13.8k. It has no cooldown as far as I can tell, it just has a cast time, so it can be scaled. I don't think 100 int/dex can make up for that. But yeah, Int scaling is the way to go and 800 is attainable without Astramentis, my tree has 430 int and I can get 150-200 more on gear fairly easily, with 24% increased intelligence on top.

The other issue is crit chance. I'm not going assassin as that locks you into VP + duelist leech nodes which is a huge investment that I don't feel is worth it. So I need a beefy source of crit.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 7, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
One more thing for masters. Make sure you invite Leo (act 3 right in front of Sarn Arena) and Navali to your hideout. Doing the Leo daily can be very hit or miss, but there is the sit is sarn arena for 2 minutes get free rep mission that shows up every so often.

And not having to go to town to reload on prophecies from Navali while mapping saves a ton of time.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Bugsy posted:

One more thing for masters. Make sure you invite Leo (act 3 right in front of Sarn Arena) and Navali to your hideout. Doing the Leo daily can be very hit or miss, but there is the sit is sarn arena for 2 minutes get free rep mission that shows up every so often.

And not having to go to town to reload on prophecies from Navali while mapping saves a ton of time.

To add, those two don't count towards the master/hideout limit.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Navali, anyone have any tips for racking up Silver Coins quickly? Farming mobs seems to go really slowly, and I'm not sure if re-rolling strongboxes is worth it.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking of Navali, anyone have any tips for racking up Silver Coins quickly? Farming mobs seems to go really slowly, and I'm not sure if re-rolling strongboxes is worth it.

There really aren't any tips. They just aren't that common. Be somewhere over level 64. I think they got a 5% bump in drop rates in maps at some point.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

What's the fad cheap starting build this league?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

nightwisher posted:

Hand is the good claw from 2.5. I'm not sure you even get any claw nodes for it because they're all phys. I don't know if it's efficient to get the 4% aspd nodes that lead to those crit chance/crit multi nodes in the back of the claw wheel.

Like seriously there are 2 nodes on the entire tree that gives crit multi for claws. They are both minor 12% nodes. There are literally better nodes for crit ele 1h mace than for claws.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

I'd love to see your build. These uniques are the ones I'm most excited about, and I have two of the low-level claws from Breaches already. Currently leveling an EQ Jugg through Merc with the aim being to farm Uber Lab for some currency for a second build, and using Choir of the Storm and the two claws is my current plan. What Ascendancy are you using?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Hand is the good claw from 2.5. I'm not sure you even get any claw nodes for it because they're all phys. I don't know if it's efficient to get the 4% aspd nodes that lead to those crit chance/crit multi nodes in the back of the claw wheel.

Like seriously there are 2 nodes on the entire tree that gives crit multi for claws. They are both minor 12% nodes. There are literally better nodes for crit ele 1h mace than for claws.

It doesn't all have to be about critical. They could just make all the nodes "attack damage (or leech) with claws" instead of just physical so it scales elemental damage as well as projectile skills & bump some of the numbers up and then it opens up a bunch of options

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Were claws incredibly strong at some point in the past? Not sure why they're so neglected on the passive tree, the nodes barely synergize and are generally much lower numbers than equivalent other weapon nodes. Deadly Dilettante is the best node cluster for claws on the tree and it's the ONLY good set of nodes, and even then they're just as good for sword/dagger builds as claw.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

Blade Flurry can get rolling with pretty mediocre gear. You basically start yourself out as a reaver and swap to Flurry at 28. Handles breaches pretty well and even with just a 3 or 4 link you'll manage to do pretty decent damage until you can luck or capitalism your way into a 5-6 link. Plus there are a bunch of different ways to build it - just off of the top of my head you can do BF Assassin, BF Raider (what I'm doing, it's a ton of fun and frenzy charges), or Elemental BF Raider. Plus there are sword, dagger and claw variants depending on your preferred way to "melee" things.

Barring that there's always the tried and true Essence Drain/contagion pairing.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

NecroMonster posted:

warchief totems, facebreaker + meginord + iron rings will run you 5-7c total and carry you hard

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

nightwisher posted:

Were claws incredibly strong at some point in the past? Not sure why they're so neglected on the passive tree, the nodes barely synergize and are generally much lower numbers than equivalent other weapon nodes. Deadly Dilettante is the best node cluster for claws on the tree and it's the ONLY good set of nodes, and even then they're just as good for sword/dagger builds as claw.

They've always been bad, people just don't think claws are as cool as daggers or swords so GGG has never really bothered making them good.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm doing Lightning Arrow Assassin and so far with 10c of gear (including a couple jewels) I'm running Dried Lake at 112m xp/hr

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
Can any goon trade experts tell me if the price on dreamfeather swords will drop soon? they've been hovering around 12-20c last few days when last league they were 7-12. I need them for my build, but I was hoping to get a good price.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think the thing I like the most about my build is that I'm leveling as an RT Cycloner and literally nothing but my mainhand/offhand and a single jewel will change when I switch to bow at 64. I got a cauteriser at 40 and now everything I touch dies in a 4L.

And the price of Xoph's Nurture is dropping like a goddamn rock, it's hanging around 12-15c for a midrolled. I can probably afford one by the time I have the dex to equip it.

I ended up changing my tree around pretty significantly before I started to fill it out, I'm ditching EO + a bunch of staff(into bow) crit nodes and blood magic in exchange for going to duelist for mana leech and a bunch of attack speed. I figure the boost in attack speed and the ability to run Anger/HoA will make up for the 40% more multiplier loss of going EO, considering my dex/accuracy was going to be dogshit.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Found a soul taker in hardcore breach just now and I have no idea what to do with it besides sell it. Never had one or paid much attention to them. Obviously nice being able to reserve 100% mana and run a 6link something without worrying, but mana has not seemed like a huge deal to me since the duelist leech nodes and all the melee skill cost reductions went in a long time back. One extra aura is cool but doesn't seem significant enough to base a build around. Am I missing something?

I already wanted to make a gladiator, but I usually end up going sword/shield with some amount of crit. Given that axes are the least crit oriented weapon type I guess I'd be better off doing RT and...uh, sunder? Earthquake? Lacerate? No clue.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
This gladiator build specifically uses Soul Taker.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Soultaker is also a nice on-hand for a southpaw dualwielder, a Blade Flurry Raider should love it.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Soultaker is also a nice on-hand for a southpaw dualwielder, a Blade Flurry Raider should love it.

Blade Flurry costs so little mana that I'm not sure you'd want to pick a Soul Taker as your offhand over some of the more damage-oriented options.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tykero posted:

Blade Flurry costs so little mana that I'm not sure you'd want to pick a Soul Taker as your offhand over some of the more damage-oriented options.

oh yeah? what about cast on channel BF with Voidbringers?

:colbert:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i cant believe a loving binos is literally 130c+

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

It's crazy what happens to prices when a bunch of streamers make videos about one skill.

theshim
May 1, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I got one last league for 3c pretty early. Ah, meta.

Got to 81 last night, which is crazy fast for me. Naturally, I'm now thinking of rolling another character. I kinda want to do SRS, anyone have a particular recommended build for that?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

oh yeah? what about cast on channel BF with Voidbringers?

:colbert:

The spells cast would be free.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Vasudus posted:

The spells cast would be free.

it increases all skills, so bf would cost 8 instead of 4, this is important!!!!

alright dont use soultaker with bf

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Now that i finally got my 3 totems on my Hierophant (3 lasers clearing stuff is pretty cool though), i kind want to play something else since it took way too long for that character to be any good ...seems i had forgotten a lot more about the game :(

Started an ED shadow, which is what i played last time in ...err...Perandus? and it's still pretty good, but for some reason i've always been annoyed at the ED->Contagion // Contagion->ED combo cause sometimes i'll just miss the ED projectile ( :derp: ) and it gets annoying.

Tried a 2H Marauder but i'm not feeling it tbh ... maybe it will change when i get Earthquake :derp:

Don't really want to hop onto the Flurry/BVortex train cause i imagine all items for them are expensive and i hate trading so wondering what other melee-ish builds can kill stuff fast?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there any reason to prefer either Pyre or Hrimburn when doing the ignite Vortex thing? If I understand all this crap correctly, Hrimburn doesn't let fire damage increases double dip because the initial damage is still cold, but it doesn't explode corpses like Pyre (which is apparently a bad thing for some reason), right?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any reason to prefer either Pyre or Hrimburn when doing the ignite Vortex thing? If I understand all this crap correctly, Hrimburn doesn't let fire damage increases double dip because the initial damage is still cold, but it doesn't explode corpses like Pyre (which is apparently a bad thing for some reason), right?
Correct. The reason it's bad is because proliferation works from corpses, so Pyre makes it hard to spread the ignites effectively. This can be handled by using Southbound in addition to Pyre.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

theshim posted:

Correct. The reason it's bad is because proliferation works from corpses, so Pyre makes it hard to spread the ignites effectively. This can be handled by using Southbound in addition to Pyre.

Didn't know that, weird. So, just making sure, Pyre's cold->fire conversion makes +cold damage from other items/passives completely ineffective (except for the vortex pool's dot), right? Or does the cold damage get tacked on to Vortex before it all gets turned into fire?

Sounds like in that case Pyre+Southbound would be better since you can just hardcore focus on +fire on items and in the tree?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Didn't know that, weird. So, just making sure, Pyre's cold->fire conversion makes +cold damage from other items/passives completely ineffective (except for the vortex pool's dot), right? Or does the cold damage get tacked on to Vortex before it all gets turned into fire?

Sounds like in that case Pyre+Southbound would be better since you can just hardcore focus on +fire on items and in the tree?
Any cold damage - flat or increased% - is applied before conversion. Cold damage will get tacked on, then it will get converted to fire, then fire damage is applied, then the burn itself benefits from fire damage (and, thanks to Vortex, from spell damage as well).

I think Pyre will do a bunch more damage, yes. I was able to do red maps with Hrimburn last league (on a Berserker, no less), for whatever that's worth.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

dangerdoom volvo posted:

what the gently caress
isn't there a prophecy for binos? just buy coins and chain prophecies for fun and profit

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mince Pieface posted:

what the gently caress
isn't there a prophecy for binos? just buy coins and chain prophecies for fun and profit

Do this anyway. Jewelers touch and other cool prophs are worth a lot and over time you make pretty good money.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Pretty sure the bino's prophecy didn't make it into the main game after the league ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Prophecies are fun, but I wish there weren't so many crappy/filler ones. Oh hey, an area full of rare Devourers, yeah, thanks a ton, Navali.

• Locked thread