Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

givepatajob posted:

When I open Primehack (installed via the emudeck setup), it doesn't launch directly into the game. Instead I get the dolphin menu and I have to touch the game to highlight, steam + X to open the keyboard and then 'enter' to launch.

Any way to make it auto-launch considering it should be the only rom associated with that specific version of Dolphin?

Check SRM to make sure the Primehack parser is active. The game should show up as Metroid Prime Trilogy, if it’s showing as Primehack that’s part of the Emulators parser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks, I was able to go in and figure out how to split my bands so now I can actually use my 5ghz when I want to and not when fuckin' Comcast deems fit.

Gonna try playing some Fable 2 on it tonight!

I'm glad this worked out for you. My problem with the "same SSID" implementation was that devices would too frequently switch APs, seemingly at random. Separating them into discrete networks, adding both on each device, and telling them to prioritize the 5 GHz one has the desired effect. So for example if I'm driving home, when I get in range of the 2.4 GHz WAP my phone will connect to it, then it'll switch over to 5 GHz when it gets in range of that, but it doesn't automatically switch back to 2.4 GHz.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got all excited reading this, someone even posted the directions to take it from GamePass to Steam, which is exactly what I needed! Unfortunately, doesn't work for me. Copied the save data over into Steam's file, doesn't matter. Don't know what's going on, its like the game isn't even reading my local save data. Kinda sucks since I bought the game only for this transfer not to work, but it's not the end of the world I GUESS.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Commander Keene posted:

Just add the Primehack parser to Steam Rom Manager and have it put MPT (or whatever version of Prime/2/3 you're playing) into Steam.

This fixed it for me. Appreciate the help!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess I shouldn't be surprised there's a Metroid Prime randomizer but that seems like it wouldn't work nearly as well as the others

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm just having trouble installing mod organizer, I think it doesn't play nicely with my microsd.

I realize this is a blind suggestion, but is going to be easier to get a functional modset going on a Windows PC, then copying the install folder to the microSD for Steam on the Deck to 'discover'? I did this with some Gamebryo games when I moved between PCs and while I still had to fix some minor things, it was easier than starting from scratch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goons, holy poo poo....

STEAM is something that was released by VALVE.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Goons, holy poo poo....

STEAM is something that was released by VALVE.

What? That can't be right

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

and it's an anagram for lame save TV

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I got all excited reading this, someone even posted the directions to take it from GamePass to Steam, which is exactly what I needed! Unfortunately, doesn't work for me. Copied the save data over into Steam's file, doesn't matter. Don't know what's going on, its like the game isn't even reading my local save data. Kinda sucks since I bought the game only for this transfer not to work, but it's not the end of the world I GUESS.

I got it to work!! Here's an updated guide for anyone else who needs it:

https://steamah.com/vampire-survivors-how-to-move-save-file-from-xbox-game-pass-to-steam/

Turns out the actual save is in a completely different folder. This guide shows all 4 places the save is at.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm sure this kind of post is as tired as possible at this point, but the Deck got me to also finally buy Vampire Survivors, and

Oh

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Squiggle posted:

I'm sure this kind of post is as tired as possible at this point, but the Deck got me to also finally buy Vampire Survivors, and

Oh

It’s so stupid how much fun that game is

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"Steam" is kind of a crappy name for a videogame marketplace tbf

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just had a thought... Try putting in gyro options for the quick menu. I know that when you're in Create mode, there's a quick menu there, so that might work. I hope it does.

You’re a genius. This was exactly it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

After a month I'm finally taking my steam deck away from home. Valve tricked me into leaving my bunker.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm just having trouble installing mod organizer, I think it doesn't play nicely with my microsd.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but in theory you should be able to use ProtonUp-QT from the Discovery store to install SteamTinkerLaunch, then set the game to use a specific compatibility tool and choose SteamTinkerLaunch. From there when you launch the game it'll give you a dialog where you can change the launch options to run Mod Organizer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Seymour Buttz posted:

You’re a genius. This was exactly it.

:toot: glad to have helped.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

PageMaster posted:

Finally ordered the nreal Airs from again Japan and everything was going great and I could have them before the weekend to use but now dhl shows on hold in LA like a 2 hr drive away! What are the odds I can just drive there and get my cool electric toys please?

My totally unfounded assumption is that because it's from overseas it's being held in customs for inspection or whatever. You probably won't get anywhere if you go to the location as it won't speed up the process.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have never attempted emulation of anything more advanced than an N64 before and getting WiiU and PS2 content running on the Deck so I can play those games on my TV without having to dig the consoles out of basement storage felt really nice :unsmith:

gonna show my daughter Super Mario 3D World without having to pay $60 for Bowser's Fury, let's fuckin go

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
How is 360 emulation?

I activated the parser in Steam ROM Manager, but it didn't find any images and nothings shown up in steam.

Should it work just like the rest of the emulators? It was one of the ones switched off by default.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

I have never attempted emulation of anything more advanced than an N64 before and getting WiiU and PS2 content running on the Deck so I can play those games on my TV without having to dig the consoles out of basement storage felt really nice :unsmith:

gonna show my daughter Super Mario 3D World without having to pay $60 for Bowser's Fury, let's fuckin go

Is getting WiiU emulation setup complicated? I want my kids to be able to deck Wind Waker

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Papercut posted:

Is getting WiiU emulation setup complicated? I want my kids to be able to deck Wind Waker

Surprisingly, not really. WiiU roms seem to be, like, entire directories like game installs rather than single files, that's the only weird thing about it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Figuring out that you need to download and add console BIOS files can be a little annoying - the new version of EmuDeck has a "BIOS checking tool" that alleviates some of the problems.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

loquacius posted:

Super Mario 3D World works pretty well on the Switch emulator, so you could eventually show her Bowser's Fury as well. I didn't test the latter, so no clue how that runs but I'm sure it's fine.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

loquacius posted:

Surprisingly, not really. WiiU roms seem to be, like, entire directories like game installs rather than single files, that's the only weird thing about it.

Ah, that might be what I did wrong. I extracted the wiiu roms and didn't pay attention to which file format it was.

I've got lots of individual files and the emulator can't see them.

Oh yeah when it comes to switch vs wii emulation, which version of BoTW is best to emulate.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 21, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kin posted:

Oh yeah when it comes to switch vs wii emulation, which version of BoTW is best to emulate.

Wii U, it's a bit of a process getting it to work but Cemu has graphical mods to lock it to 40fps and also run it at the Deck's native 16:10 resolution.

Kin posted:

How is 360 emulation?

I activated the parser in Steam ROM Manager, but it didn't find any images and nothings shown up in steam.

Should it work just like the rest of the emulators? It was one of the ones switched off by default.
Early days but improving, but Xenia is unstable enough on Linux that it's not installed by default by Emudeck. You need to find the option to install it in the tools menu. There's a good amount of games that run and run well though including Forza Horizon 2. MVG did a video a few months back about what works and performance running in Windows on the Deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVDCPUczUiM

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 21, 2022

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Cowman posted:

My totally unfounded assumption is that because it's from overseas it's being held in customs for inspection or whatever. You probably won't get anywhere if you go to the location as it won't speed up the process.

Plot twist: was delivered 2 days early without me knowing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

njsykora posted:

Wii U, it's a bit of a process getting it to work but Cemu has graphical mods to lock it to 40fps and also run it at the Deck's native 16:10 resolution.

Well, it was a bit presumptuous of me anyway. Seems like WiiU emulation is a bit beyond me at the minute. I think I need to transform the ROMs with a different tool first before sticking them in the ROMs folder on the deck.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

PageMaster posted:

Plot twist: was delivered 2 days early without me knowing.

hell yea! hope you enjoy!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kin posted:

Well, it was a bit presumptuous of me anyway. Seems like WiiU emulation is a bit beyond me at the minute. I think I need to transform the ROMs with a different tool first before sticking them in the ROMs folder on the deck.
Cdecrypt, if you have access to a Windows PC and a passing familiarity with the command line.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

CBD Corndog posted:

Hell yeah Persona 5 Royal is deck verified

the text is really jaggy though does anyone know how to fix this

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

Cdecrypt, if you have access to a Windows PC and a passing familiarity with the command line.

Is that what creates a .rpx file or whatever is needed from the 7zip file I have?

I think the bit I'm missing is just getting things into the format needed for the emulator to read it.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Mia Wasikowska posted:

the text is really jaggy though does anyone know how to fix this

Play at 720p 16:9 and it’ll smooth it out a bunch

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kin posted:

Is that what creates a .rpx file or whatever is needed from the 7zip file I have?

I think the bit I'm missing is just getting things into the format needed for the emulator to read it.
7zip is a compression archive, you need to decompress it first, with the 7zip program, it's freeware.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

njsykora posted:

Early days but improving, but Xenia is unstable enough on Linux that it's not installed by default by Emudeck. You need to find the option to install it in the tools menu. There's a good amount of games that run and run well though including Forza Horizon 2. MVG did a video a few months back about what works and performance running in Windows on the Deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVDCPUczUiM

So using emudeck is it possible to get xenia running without a windows partition? I found the place to update it and even select canary. It says it updated it successfully, but I don't see it installed anywhere

e: i suspect if it's not possible yet it will be soon
I was able to download canary version directly from github and using proton experimental it will run and even launch a game, but the graphics were glitched to high hell and it crashed shortly after

I should probably stop being lazy and get a new SD card specifically for windows poo poo already
Listen I went to all the effort of buying a 360 to rip games from my x360 collection, I want to play tenchu z again ok
but HANDHELD

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 21, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

PS4/5 Remote users using Chiaki: Apparently Chiaki is in maintenance mode and there’s a fork of Chiaki with some nice features:

https://github.com/streetpea/chiaki4deck

• Full mapping for the PlayStation Touchpad to the Steam Deck’s touchscreen and trackpad (you can choose either option), enabling you to play games like Ghost of Tsushima with the Steam Deck controller.
• Updated yuv shader to get a more accurate RGB color mapping thanks to Egoistically’s Chiaki patch.
• Enabled automatic passcode login entry if you have a login passcode.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Cowman posted:

hell yea! hope you enjoy!

Thanks! Personal thoughts for those interested: everything on it is slightly more blurry than on the deck screen (almost like an image with no anti-aliasing), and really tiny text gets hard to read since it's definitely not razer sharp (I would not be playing disco elysium or planescape torment on it), BUT this might be more caused by my slight astigmatism, not the device.

Activating them was super easy on desktop chrome, after which they're basically just plug and play into the deck.

It does actually turn off the deck screen when plugged in, so ironically actually extends your battery life when using compared to just using the deck since their power draw is pretty low.

It has speakers in them similar to the Bose Tempo frames, and I do really like having the audio right there outside your ear and I'm surprised this isn't a bigger advertised selling point; not home theatre quality sound, but GOOD.

Most I'm sure are aware of the frame rate issues where it's locked to 30fps without some workarounds, but a future firmware update will hopefully fix this.

As far as size goes, I approximated it to about holding the deck screen maybe 4 inches in front of my nose.

It's definitely an impressive device, though I don't know if "clickbait MUST OWN DECK ACCESSORY," yet until FPS lock is firmware fixed since I find running at 30 fps rather than 45-60 feels a little uncomfortable to me when it's this large of a display, but that's a personal preference; and while unfortunate that my astigmatism hurts a bit, it does come with a prescription template that you can have lenses made and attached to, and despite text being too hard to read for me, just roaming open worlds is obscenely more immersing and impressive.

Definitely nice and no regrets with it and I'm working prescription fixes and NReal is very aware of the FPS hit and says they have firmware fixes in the works.

For those on the fence, you can buy these on Amazon for $399 after tax with mid-nov estimated delivery, or from Amazon Japan for $335 INCLUDING express global shipping with 4-8 day delivery estimate to west coast USA and despite a one day hold still received them two days earlier than estimated so I'm really not sure what benefit Amazon US has (I suppose returns could be easier maybe).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Thanks! Personal thoughts for those interested: everything on it is slightly more blurry than on the deck screen (almost like an image with no anti-aliasing), and really tiny text gets hard to read since it's definitely not razer sharp (I would not be playing disco elysium or planescape torment on it), BUT this might be more caused by my slight astigmatism, not the device.

I'm actually going to return mine tbh. The blurry text was just a bit too much for me to take. I had my wife try them just to make sure it wasn't my eyes and she said the same thing.

They are cool but I don't think they are $400 cool for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How much audio bleed is there? Can you use them with Bluetooth earbuds for better sound isolation?

E: and how annoying is it to return something to Amazon Japan if I don’t like them? I’m in Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I'm actually going to return mine tbh. The blurry text was just a bit too much for me to take. I had my wife try them just to make sure it wasn't my eyes and she said the same thing.

They are cool but I don't think they are $400 cool for me.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up (especially before I dropped a cool couple hundred on prescription lenses)! Yeah the text is a bummer, especially knowing it' is the frames themselves, and I really wish/hope there's a way to improve that in the future. Still having a blast just playing games, but I've made sure to stick to my Elden Rings, God of Wars, Red Dead Redemptions, etc. where I'm not really reading a ton which can be a pretty heavy restriction on something this expensive.