Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So the new Gundam show had it's announcement stream this evening, complete with a prologue episode similar to the battleogue style we've seen previously. Couple of thoughts with spoilers if you haven't watched the preview yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zR55C33TLA

-The title is "Gundam Build Divers'. The 'divers' part refers to a VR interface. They still have physical gunpla in reality, but it seems like more of a 'play in a videogame' setup rather than the previous iterations. Also there are furries and demon people in the videogame. The main villain of the prologue is a ferret

- The format has changed again. Rather than the 1vs1 tournament or 3vs3 tournament of the original series, the new format is a large scale team battle mixed with a sort of 'kill the flag'. As far as I can tell from their introduction, the format is teams of ten with one Mobile Suit listed as the enemy's 'flag'. Kill that one, and you win the match. Since it varies from match to match, they can hopefully make this better than the 3vs3 that always come down to 1vs1 from try.

-Lead mech is the 00 Diver, which, as its name suggests is a 00 derivative. It looks like the reigning champion and obvious 'antagonist/meijin' character is piloting a tricked out AGE-2. Not exactly inspired choices, but it might change. They did have a pretty wide selection of models, including a Grimgarde for the throw away badguy, so G-Reco is on the table this time. No signs of IBO that I could see.

-Lead is a young male. Looks younger than Sei or JIGEN HAOU RYU (I straight up cannot remember his name, it is late) along with a similarly aged male and female character next to their respective mobile suits on the posters. Girl has what I think is a Kapool painted in a way that makes me think of a penguin. The other one is some orange thing GM looking thing that I can't even guess at.

-Release date is 'spring', as far as I can tell.

-Setting is the 14th Gunpla force tournament. This puts it either at roughly the same point as Try (assuming these have been running concurrent with the normal finals up to this point, or considerably later than Build Fighters.

Caros fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It looks to me like the 10 v 10 thing will make up about 50% of the show at most, since the AGE-2 pilot was noted to be the individual champion as well, along with lists for first kills, support etc. It looks like there's be an even split of individual and team matches, though hopefully the team stuff has some variety and isn't all capture/destroy the flag.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

It looks to me like the 10 v 10 thing will make up about 50% of the show at most, since the AGE-2 pilot was noted to be the individual champion as well, along with lists for first kills, support etc. It looks like there's be an even split of individual and team matches, though hopefully the team stuff has some variety and isn't all capture/destroy the flag.

His stat screen had a bunch of things that looked like other game types, but it'll depend a lot of the first episode. If they introduce a team I'll expect mostly that. Godforbid they revert to 3v3 with the visible three characters though.

Gotta say, Rommel leading the 7th panzer division felt a little on the nose.

Edit: and one minor sad thought. Technically the series is named Gundam Build Divers. Considering the difference in the core technology (VR in the vein of Beginning rather than Plavasky Particle), it is entirely possible, even likely that this is basically AU build fighter. In fact, giving it a quick look, there isn't a single Yajima Trading Logo, the organization is called GBN.

Double edit because I'm a nerd: One of the restaurants shown in the crowd shots after the tournament is called Seven Stars and has a G with seven stars in the Gjallerhorn formation over it. So I guess references to IBO made it in at the very least.

Guess which of these is the protagonist. If you guessed the generic shonen protagonist instead of the sephiroth looking mofo on the left, you are correct.

Time for more edits: The game is an MMO called 'Gundam Battle Nexus Online'. So yeah, hopefully they don't get trapped in the game and have to murder each other to survive. That said, the main character visibly has a knife strapped to his back while watching a gunpla battle so... uhhh...

- Same director as Try, but I don't think Try's problem was its director so much as being rushed out of the door to try to capitalize on fighters. Obari is back as the action director, which is promising.

- Some images of the new gundams. I... does the 00 Diver seriously have helicopters in place of the twin drives? I think they might be dumb add ons.

- The aforementioned Kapool. More of a Moe-Kapool piloted by the catgirl than a penguin now that I get a look at it. I thought it had a beak. :(

- There is a Virtue Gundam that apparently wears the Ptolemaous as armor. Presumably it will have a Serevee style gimick where it ejects the armor as a seperate, miniature spaceship. Gotta say, that is cute.

-Clear shots of 00Diver with a young child armed with a knife for some reason.

-Clear shot of Age 2 Magnum with Sephiroth action figure.

Scratch what I said before. That Kapool is supposed to be a loving penguin.

I'm going to bed now.

Caros fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 2, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The last OVA was BFT's writer and the original BF director, and it was pretty decent. Process of elimination says I'm not holding my breath for something as good as the original series.

The Ptolemaios Virtue is pretty neat though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Definitely looks like a penguin themed Kapool to me.

And that also means we're probably getting a regular Kapool. Which makes me happy, no matter how the show goes.

As for the show...

Well, it was a decent opening fight. Seems more young viewer aimed from the marketing. Makes sense, I suppose.

IBO was something like the thirteenth most watched anime in Japan last year, according to kadokawa polling. More viewers than Gintama, more than My Hero Academia, more than Pokemon. Model kit sales were good, DVD sales were fine, everything looks rosy... until you check the demographic breakdown.

Gundam fans are, according to the numbers, getting up there in years. The overwhelming majority of the audience was older than the main cast, and almost a third of them were actively middle aged.

(Apparently, kids are not as into grim mafia/military stories about the struggles of morally ambiguous child soldiers against systemic corruption. Who knew?)

Not sure how it'll go, but I appreciate being able to see the logic behind decisions.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

tsob posted:

I would be so down for a non-giant robot war story in an established UC setting. A SoL show about some civvies in the mid UC0090s and how living a colony works for them with a short mention of how Char's Counterattack or Unicorn affects their lives, a spy show set in AD, a show about engineers in CC; whatever. Just exploring some established settings further through non-mobile suits hows.

So basically Garma on Space Island? :v:

As for Build Divers, the prologue episode looked neat! I thought Rommel's team deserved the win, what with the guy actually coming up with solid tactics against Kyoya's team. Honestly, I call bullshit at Kyoya not being melted by that Hyper Mega Cannon shot. The team aspect seems better this time, so that makes me cautiously optimistic.

I'm guessing the VR setting is so the animators can have fun coming up with various designs for the characters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

amigolupus posted:

As for Build Divers, the prologue episode looked neat! I thought Rommel's team deserved the win, what with the guy actually coming up with solid tactics against Kyoya's team. Honestly, I call bullshit at Kyoya not being melted by that Hyper Mega Cannon shot. The team aspect seems better this time, so that makes me cautiously optimistic.

I'm guessing the VR setting is so the animators can have fun coming up with various designs for the characters.

I figured he used the guy who tried to grab him as a shield, Mikazuki-style.

All those kit announcements and we’re not getting that badass Red Shoulder Grimoire? For shame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this series is literally just girls und panzer

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

All those kit announcements and we’re not getting that badass Red Shoulder Grimoire? For shame.

You mean this?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

:getin:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

The difference is that girls are far less likely to drive cool poo poo and do cool poo poo. With the occasional exception.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i hope there's lots of girls that do cool poo poo in gundam build divers

i hope they have cool gunpla too

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Caros posted:

- There is a Virtue Gundam that apparently wears the Ptolemaous as armor. Presumably it will have a Serevee style gimick where it ejects the armor as a seperate, miniature spaceship. Gotta say, that is cute.

Finally something like the GN-X IV should go on general release, although I'll be hoping to turn that into something more like the base design. Weird bell-bottoms for it there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i hope there's lots of girls that do cool poo poo in gundam build divers

i hope they have cool gunpla too

This would be good. Basically, we need another Aila - the Qubeley Papillon and Miss Sazabi were rad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

Girls Und Gundams would be significantly better than Try and probably Divers, though.

I'm hoping Divers manages to be as good as Build Fighters, at least.

Also the red beret Grimoire and orange GM look good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The prologue was cool, but honestly I was pretty bummed about the VR reveal. I was really excited for Gunpla in a fantasy world, with ogres and talking squirrels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Girls Und Gundams would be significantly better than Try and probably Divers, though.

I'm hoping Divers manages to be as good as Build Fighters, at least.

To be perfectly fair, the OVA fight was pretty drat good, and the characters on both teams were a lot of fun. Especially with how many people were involved compared to Try's standard 3v3 format. I'd wait and see how much attention the show wants to give to the protagonist though, because that's gonna be the real litmus test after Try Fighters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm glad that the Divers prologue finally gives me the "bunch of grunt suits with tactics vs. bunch of Gundam bullshit" fight I've wanted since they showed the veterans' club in BF, but it's incredibly dumb that the bunch of Gundam bullshit wins.

Also, I'm glad they're bringing AGE grunt suits back.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

The other guy had Kyoya pinned down in a specific spot knowing they'd both get hit dead on by the Hyper Mega Cannon. The shot itself was large enough and lasted long enough that it should've destroyed anything it hit. So it was just really weird that the other guy's suit got completely vaporized while Kyoya's suit only suffered heavy damage. Rommel completely outplayed Kyoya there, imo.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed their token hotblooded idiot teammate didn't get shot down from how he always kept rushing ahead. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

amigolupus posted:

The other guy had Kyoya pinned down in a specific spot knowing they'd both get hit dead on by the Hyper Mega Cannon. The shot itself was large enough and lasted long enough that it should've destroyed anything it hit. So it was just really weird that the other guy's suit got completely vaporized while Kyoya's suit only suffered heavy damage. Rommel completely outplayed Kyoya there, imo.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed their token hotblooded idiot teammate didn't get shot down from how he always kept rushing ahead. :v:

The Fin Funnel/Bit Shield ate the rest of the beam, it's why they shattered.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not sure how on Earth they think 10 vs. 10 will work if 3 vs. 3 in Try didn't, but oh well it's not like I won't watch it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The choreography was quite solid and has me pretty optimistic. The fight choreography evoked GBF pretty hard, with the gritty combat that had units ripping each other to pieces in a desperate attempt to kill each other and the mobile suits taking damage that would simply debilitate them in a "standard" Gundam show, which shows that they understand that Assimilation was loving dumb and one of the fun parts about the show being a game is that the robots can monster truck rally each other. The tactical aspect on display was also fun; Rommel's layered traps were great, and the Bawoo Bait and Switch was cool.

This prologue was a better battle than most of Try and I'd put it on par with a decent episode of GBF in terms of fight quality. That's pretty great for an intro teaser.

Raxivace posted:

I'm not sure how on Earth they think 10 vs. 10 will work if 3 vs. 3 in Try didn't, but oh well it's not like I won't watch it.

This episode handled it pretty well, I think. In a 10v10 environment we really don't need to see every person on the team's every action, and they don't all need to be major focus characters if they don't want to make them such. The Girls Und Panzer rules formatting(each side having a "flag" mobile suit that is the victory condition for the enemy team) means that there's a natural focal point for each battle.

The team format in Try was bad not because team formats are bad and unworkable, but because Try's choreography was not good.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 2, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Raxivace posted:

yeah the teaser was fine, but I'm quite worried that all the characters will be bland if there's 10 v 10 teams.

I guess they'll have to focus on one or two from each squad at most.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

amigolupus posted:

Or Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi or something like them, except animated, yes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

It worked great in Girls und Panzer. It's better than 3 vs 3 because you know they aren't all going to get equal time, so you don't feel short changed when some of them are just mooks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

I think, or at least hope, the general inference is we'll see different match types through the series instead of just a fixed format. The the 10v10 Flag Match just being an example of one of many.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It worked great in Girls und Panzer. It's better than 3 vs 3 because you know they aren't all going to get equal time, so you don't feel short changed when some of them are just mooks.

I'd say that's a poor simile. Admittedly I've only seen bits of Girls und Panzer, but you've got those girls concentrated into a few tanks apiece so any scene can give several screentime at once with minimal individual input from each individual character. You need better directing chops to pull that off with active individual units.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 2, 2018

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Guy Goodbody posted:

The prologue was cool, but honestly I was pretty bummed about the VR reveal. I was really excited for Gunpla in a fantasy world, with ogres and talking squirrels.

Most of my disappointment stems from this. Just let the weird furry people be part of the actual setting. Don't make them VR avatars.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think, or at least hope, the general inference is we'll see different match types through the series instead of just a fixed format. The the 10v10 Flag Match just being an example of one of many.

I'd say that's a poor simile. Admittedly I've only seen bits of Girls und Panzer, but you've got those girls concentrated into a few tanks apiece so any scene can give several screentime at once with minimal individual input from each individual character. You need better directing chops to pull that off with active individual units.
To be fair, Girls und Panzer basically didn't try to characterize the individuals of the grunts as, well, individuals. The main character team and the student council all got characterization as individuals, but the other tank crews were basically one character spread across multiple people. They were characterized as a group. All of the first years were lazy idiots who slowly grew into competence and eventually became the MVP of the final battle, you could accomplish that character arc with one person or six. The only thing you'd really lose is some of the gags of them bantering with each other, and even those scenes only really function as the 'character' thinking to 'themselves,' it doesn't actually characterize any of them as unique individuals.

I do agree that being unable to have that banter between the individuals of the unit does make characterization harder, though, and for the characters you actually do characterize it's nice to be able to have them all stuffed into one tank so they can bounce off each other or display individual skills in the context of the others, like the student council president being the best shot but lazy as hell so she makes her sidekick who's a terrible shot be the gunner for 90% of the battles.

It still seems pretty doable though. Rather than Girls und Panzer, a good example of how to do that kind of broad characterization would be team sports stuff with larger teams, like Eyeshield 21. American Football is 11 v 11 and Eyeshield 21 manages to pull off characterization decently. You have your three or four main characters - the team captain, the team's best player, the nice guy who's the quiet center of the team, the pocket ace - and then you have six or seven other teammates who are characterized in broader strokes. The three delinquents who always work together, the goofy guy who manages to pull it out a couple of times, the idiot who's there for petty reasons but slowly realizes he cares about winning, the guy who's completely useless but manages to be useful in an important match when circumstances fall just right. Then you characterize enemy teams as mostly solid units centered around two or three key players who represent the big threats of the match, and write the matches around how the individuals of the protagonist team overcome those unique threats. Iunno, it's all pretty stock sports stuff and I think it's pretty workable with good writing.

If nothing else hopefully it will reduce the Try problem of every fight just coming down to the main character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

If nothing else hopefully it will reduce the Try problem of every fight just coming down to the main character.

I still say the real decider for the series is how much of a Poochie Sekai factor it's gonna have with the protagonist, considering it's the same director as BF-Try. Try managed to have some decent fights and scenes when they could push him out of the lime-light for longer than two minutes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair I have to imagine a lot of the Sei stuff was marketing-demanded. Watada's worked on Aikatsu as an episode director and that show juggles a huge cast pretty well, though admittedly that show's also 150 episodes long and doesn't feature much in the way of direct competition so much as just vague rivalries.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

To be fair I have to imagine a lot of the Sei stuff was marketing-demanded. Watada's worked on Aikatsu as an episode director and that show juggles a huge cast pretty well, though admittedly that show's also 150 episodes long and doesn't feature much in the way of direct competition so much as just vague rivalries.

A lot of shows get saddled with stuff like that, even good ones. What matters is how the production team translates those instructions into how they're actually applied to the show. For argument's sake, let's say some of Sei's stuff was mandated; What you got from that was a look into gunpla-building in an audience-explainable format, and neat nods to the franchise for the long-time fans. Sekai, on the other hand, was just there in a way that screamed "You must have Sekai at the center of attention at all times because I said so", with almost no effort applied to disguise that fact.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Fin Funnel/Bit Shield ate the rest of the beam, it's why they shattered.

Huh, good catch there. It just seemed like Kyoya had no time to react at all in the shot where the beam was heading his way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The interesting thing about the Flag concept is that it actually does seem to separate the Ace from the most important member of the team. The ace surviving isn't a win or a loss, unless they make the Flag the ace pilot every time which would be stupid because it means you can't have your best fighter on the forefront.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was more annoyed that when he and his team-mate flew in to the booby trapped tunnel and took out the missiles only to stumble in to some wires that set off other explosives they literally just ignored the explosives like they weren't there as far as I can tell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The interesting thing about the Flag concept is that it actually does seem to separate the Ace from the most important member of the team. The ace surviving isn't a win or a loss, unless they make the Flag the ace pilot every time which would be stupid because it means you can't have your best fighter on the forefront.
yeah girls und panzer actually played around with that one, too. The flag tank wasn't always the main character tank and the enemy captain's tank, so they'd form strategies around that. The battle with the russians ends with a wacky sax chase where half the russian team is chasing their flag tank while the main characters try and hunt down the enemy flag tank, and the final battle in the TV series actually does have the two best tanks on each side as the flag tanks, and the characters actually base their strategy around it - they perform a ton of ambushes and weird diversionary tactics so they can just get a 1-on-1 duel between the two flag tanks with no interruptions.

It's a neat variable, and interesting enough that with clever writing it probably can sustain a 26 episode series. Though I imagine there'll be at least a couple of one-on-one fights in there too, even if just 'enemy captain challenges the protag to a duel and stomps him to set his team up as a threat'

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Another thing that might help is that with 10v10 matches the scope of each individual battle is large enough that they could reasonably have one battle take more than one episode without it getting stale.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I kind of hope they vary the team battle setup with more than flag stuff, and return to the silly variety of the original Build Fighters with baseball matches using Balls as, well, balls, races, free for alls, target hitting and so on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I was more annoyed that when he and his team-mate flew in to the booby trapped tunnel and took out the missiles only to stumble in to some wires that set off other explosives they literally just ignored the explosives like they weren't there as far as I can tell.

The wire-bombs took out his team-mate. It’s why he had to solo Rommel’s team.

The choreography felt slightly weird - there didn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason in whether a direct hit would matter or not. Maybe it was just a bit of visual storytelling showing that these were really well-made (and therefore tough) machines?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The most important question is: will we have a Flag as the flag?

Because this is the moment to have Graham and his Overflag Squadron appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If it does it better be painted like an actual flag. And be piloted by someone tripping ever possible deathflag at once. Sudden bouts of personality and history, promises to make it to a family member's event, boasts about how his luck is unbeatable; the whole nine yards.