Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

We're Live!

I cleaned up the page a little based on all y'alls feedback, and we added the video, which I'm pretty proud of. Really hyped for this one folks!
Backer number 1, yo.
Looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Was interested in it, but guess it's a US only campaign :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, I was bummed to discover that too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, sorry. Shipping is hard and I've never done it before and shipping international is absolutely wild. We really strongly considered PoD just for international options but in the end, we ended up going with this. I'm not particularly happy about it either :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BattleMaster posted:

Are bronies even a thing anymore or was that game under development for so long that it missed the window and they said gently caress it and released it anyway? (The same reason, I assume, that zombie video games are still showing up every E3)

I think it's taking the piss out of RONE, although I don't know enough about that game to be sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah, sorry. Shipping is hard and I've never done it before and shipping international is absolutely wild. We really strongly considered PoD just for international options but in the end, we ended up going with this. I'm not particularly happy about it either :(

Canada is just over there! Not even any big water!

Maybe I’ll use a forwarder, but another $40 for that is a bit spicy.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Canada is just over there! Not even any big water!

Maybe I’ll use a forwarder, but another $40 for that is a bit spicy.

That's the wild thing, I assumed Canada would be cheaper but it's still like $30~ just for the game as far as I could tell. It really sucks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That's the wild thing, I assumed Canada would be cheaper but it's still like $30~ just for the game as far as I could tell. It really sucks

Oh for sure it costs silly money, but I didn’t think it would be logistically complex. I’m used to paying extra for shipping, by this point in my KS-consumer career.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This is a really, really bad time to launch a KS with international shipping considering the US is exiting the Universal Postal Union next month, so making it US-only is a sane choice at this point in time.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

mllaneza posted:

Doing open playtesting by PBP on RPG forums would probably be very good publicity. People would get to see the rules in action, and you'd have proof that you really had playtested things.

slap me and kiss me posted:

That's an amazing idea. I have some concerns about the practicality of doing so (I've found that pbp is not the best format for games that last), but if one could figure out ensuring that everyone keeps playing over the medium-term, I think it'd be really viable.
I've been running rules-light games here fairly regularly since 2015, and playing before then, and started running playtests of my own mostly not-yet-published game designs this year:
  • Twilight Song, a longer-term hack of The Quiet Year partly inspired by the manga Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou/Yokohama Shopping Log. The game recently finished (it helped that Quiet Year games do pretty well for a bunch of reasons) and there were some minor rules changes midway through that I’ll redevelop a bit before running another playtest.
  • After Kaiju, a cinematic map+timeline game about the aftermath of a kaiju attack and the stories people tell. The first round of forums-based playtesting ran into trouble in the middle part of the game (in both threads, possibly for different reasons) and after cutting the games there I got some extensive feedback that’s helped me heavily redesign the game into a new version that I’m now recruiting for playtesters for (linked at the start).
  • The Cromlech Archives, a found footage weird horror game that I ran some solo playtests and a discord playtest of. It all went smoothly and the rules are simple enough that I published it on itch.io after the successful group playtest.
  • Fleet, a game of horseback messengers, the vast lands they travel through, and the changes that time wreaks on themselves, their world, and their ties to home. I ran a very limited playtest of some mechanics on discord early this year, then recruited the same players into a forum-based test of the updated rules. The rules are somewhat alive – the basic mechanics stay the same, but some of the more specific ones have changed as we’ve discussed problems we’ve run into.
  • Drowns the Sky, a game about doomed space colonists, what they do before the end, what they remember, and how they try to be remembered. This is a test of a slightly-updated version of my entry for a 1-page game design contest run here back in 2014, and it’s not great, but I played Dear Esther for the first time a couple of months ago and got all inspired to make an expanded, massively-changed version that approaches the same themes as the original and tells similar, but more-developed stories. I decided to test the basic design of the game, but I think its limitations are showing and this test might not get all the way through. This is still PbP – rather than a weak design leading to a maybe-fun but still not satisfactory live session, it more often leads to a game fading out. Still, it’s running for now.
So far the tests that have ended have been successful in one way or another, either because they finished well and some decent changes were made to the rules (or they worked well as-is), or in one because we ran into serious problems and I cut the tests to redevelop the game (which I count as a successful test, even if the game failed!). Even if any of them just end up abandoned, I'll still have done some valuable testing.

There’s a couple of things that have helped me with this: Firstly, running games here for years means I’ve inadvertently built up a solid core of reliable players with somewhat similar aesthetic and mechanical interests. It definitely helps to know that if I suggest a game, there's a ready group that's probably into it. It’s also a great place to get critical, well-considered, and positive feedback. Secondly, last year I set up a discord server to connect all my currently-running games (and host other people’s rules-light and/or indie and/or story-games) and it’s hard to overstate how useful this has been in keeping games going. Not every game ends properly – we’re still playing PbP with all its problems – but more do than before. The server is also a place to run more playtests, usually short-term, sometimes less-developed than the games I playtest on the forums, or just parts/subsystems of games. Thirdly, I do benefit from being pretty much the only person regularly running this sort of game on SA. So, basically, 1) establish a reliable group of players by reliably running games, 2) use a permanent discord server for communication, encouragement and discussion across games, 3) if possible, find a niche, and 4) take what you can get - if you can run the whole game, great, if not, at least you got something.

There are playtest-specific downsides to PbP, but it’s not all bad. These games take months to playtest – but it’s possible to run several in parallel. That, and them being drawn out means that a) rules changes aren’t as jarring and b) there’s more time (on everyone’s part) to think things through and figure out whether or not something’s going wrong or needs to be changed, and make suggestions. PbP threads also get audiences in a way most other means of playing don't, and though they're probably not huge, people do read along, get interested, and think about the game. Quite a few games I've run have had someone else (sometimes more) comment afterwards. If nothing else these tests do everything a regular playtest does, but hopefully also put my designs out there a bit and, like you say, prove that they've been developed and changed after player feedback.

I've considered expanding from SA, but right now I've got too much running here (playtests and published games) to do that :v:. I did try testing a Doomed Pilgrim-inspired game on itch, but the only players I got were from my discord server - then again, the ttrpg forums on itch are pretty anemic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is a really, really bad time to launch a KS with international shipping considering the US is exiting the Universal Postal Union next month, so making it US-only is a sane choice at this point in time.

Don’t a lot of projects charge shipping via a Backerkit or something so that they know the exact costs? I don’t mind paying what it actually costs to ship, perhaps obviously, I just want the opportunity to do that without giving a cut (and delay and loss-chance) to a forwarding service.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Are bronies even a thing anymore or was that game under development for so long that it missed the window and they said gently caress it and released it anyway? (The same reason, I assume, that zombie video games are still showing up every E3)

From what I could tell, the game has its origins in some thing from 2015 or so so yeah the creator's been working on this for a while I assume

Jedit posted:

I think it's taking the piss out of RONE, although I don't know enough about that game to be sure.

Nah, a roan is a kind of horse color pattern

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(I’m just being pouty. I’ll use a forwarder and smile about it, because I’m not going to break my pug-streak over a little thing like postage.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Don’t a lot of projects charge shipping via a Backerkit or something so that they know the exact costs? I don’t mind paying what it actually costs to ship, perhaps obviously, I just want the opportunity to do that without giving a cut (and delay and loss-chance) to a forwarding service.

You could do that, but most people will object to shipping estimates that are either a) a quarter of what shipping actually turns out to be (if you give current estimates and the prices quadruple as planned) or b) four times what current shipping costs (if you estimate based on the anticipated 4x increased).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemon-Lime posted:

You could do that, but most people will object to shipping estimates that are either a) a quarter of what shipping actually turns out to be (if you give current estimates and the prices quadruple as planned) or b) four times what current shipping costs (if you estimate based on the anticipated 4x increased).

More than they object to not having the option at all? I mean, if every international maybe-backer objects on that basis then you have no international backers, which is what is happening anyway.

If there are other Canadian goons who want to just pay the shipping from Toronto to them, lmk and I’ll get stuff set up with my old forwarder to batch them to me. Probably adds a month to your delivery, between the forwarding being slow and me being busy.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Nah, USPS treats the world like a RISK board: it's not a matter of distance, but of spaces crossed. Frustrating as gently caress.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

More than they object to not having the option at all? I mean, if every international maybe-backer objects on that basis then you have no international backers, which is what is happening anyway.

If there are other Canadian goons who want to just pay the shipping from Toronto to them, lmk and I’ll get stuff set up with my old forwarder to batch them to me. Probably adds a month to your delivery, between the forwarding being slow and me being busy.

To help soften the blow a lil, I'll hit you up and make sure whatever copies go to your forwarder include some extra doodads, stickers or some extra Orc Stabr copies or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Nah, a roan is a kind of horse color pattern

... yes? Making it the perfect name for a horse-centric pisstake.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Jedit posted:

... yes? Making it the perfect name for a horse-centric pisstake.

They have an extended animated trailer. There's no way this isn't sincere.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
When I was figuring out shipping costs for Bee Lives, Canada shipping blew my mind. It was less expensive for me to import the games to Germany, pay VAT, and then have my EU fulfillment center ship the games to Canada then it was to ship them from my fulfillment center near Seattle, which is like an hour from Canada, to Canada.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yep. I had a choice between ordering from an outfit's US or UK store, and the UK store was significantly cheaper for a Canadian buyer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That newspaper got me hype for an industrial revolution era war with the skaven, and then delivered... not that.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

Nthing this, but it's understandable. Hopefully a set will reach Australia someday.

Antivehicular posted:

oh hi, Johnny Five-Horses

Johnny Five-Neighses.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yesterday was a little slow, but I'm feeling pretty good about today. A shitload of people messaged me on KS and Twitter asking for Print and Play tier even though I said it'd be free, so I put together a $10 level you can back to get the PnP PDF and some bonus goodies like templates and art assets. Here's a more involved pitch:

Disposable Heroes is a card based tabletop RPG set in an electric-funk fantasy future. You play as package delivery app "contractors" just trying to earn a living by delivering The Sea God's amazon order into his grimy underwater temple of doom, just past the Arby's Biodome. You don't have a character sheet, instead you draw from a deck of character cards. Each card has a special move, a weapon and some stats. Characters are super vulnerable, and die very easily in the game, but that's part of the fun - when you take a hit, you discard your current character card and draw a new one, with new skills and abilities.

There's also a bunch of characters that have abilities that let you mess around with the deck, drawing extra characters or sacrificing them for more power, for example, and the game works utterly amazingly as a one-on-one game, where one player takes on the role of a whole party.

Right now we're hoping to produce 65 characters, but we have stretch goals for guest artists to do an additional 25 cards ontop of that, so, fingers crossed.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/disposable-heroes-0?ref=creator_nav

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That does sound pretty fun, I backed yesterday to get that sweet early bird discount.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Reminded by a post further up, I'm now tempted to back Disposable Heroes and have it sent to an American friend, so that they can bring it over to the UK next time they're flying over...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

glitchkrieg posted:

Reminded by a post further up, I'm now tempted to back Disposable Heroes and have it sent to an American friend, so that they can bring it over to the UK next time they're flying over...

Possibly mine, I tend to do that with all my KS pledges.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

oh hi, Johnny Five-Horses

Pohnny Five-Aces?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The Kickstarter for Heart - the Spire spin-off about exploring the dark underbelly of the Spire - just went live.

Rowan, Rook & Decard continue to prove themselves good sorts by making it clear in the FAQ and Risks/Rewards section that they're keeping an eye on the union-busting issue, and have gone ahead with the campaign strictly on the understanding that the union doesn't believe a site boycott would help at this point and they're prepared to shift gear if that changes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm pretty tempted to back that based on that blurb regarding union activities and the hardship tier. That and being able to play a dude made out of bees?

How is the system itself?

Edit: Oh nice there's an F&F

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Obsidian Protocol just went live:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian-protocol/obsidian-protocol-mecha-miniature-wargame/

It's a chinese-made game about mechs fighting over alien artifacts on the far side of the moon.

The neat thing is that the mechs are each made from five individual modules: Torso, Legs, Backpack, and two Arms

Each module comes with one or two attacks or abilities that together define what your mech can do. Slap in a pilots digitised personality or brain in a jar and your're good to go.
On top of that there's a neat initiative system, a bit of heat management and ECM mechanics.

All this does add up to quite a bit of complexity but a typical squad only consists of two or three mechs plus a handful of simpler drones.

If you want a deeper look at the core rules they have a video up here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFOPZh-gpAM

At last years Spiel i was able to play a demo game and talk to the devs and this game really struck a chord with me, both for the mech designs and the rules.

While i'm really hyped for this game to succeed, this is a passion project by a very small team and they probably should do another proof-reading pass or two for the english version.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Then another two more. But I backed it because it's cool as hell.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm pretty tempted to back that based on that blurb regarding union activities and the hardship tier. That and being able to play a dude made out of bees?

How is the system itself?

Edit: Oh nice there's an F&F

Keep in mind that Heart runs on a modified version of the Spire system that (per the KS page) makes PCs more self-sufficient, more powerful, and more dependent on their gear, so what the Spire F&F has to say won't fully apply (plus Heart is about dungeon-crawling, not trying to overthrow colonial oppressors while avoiding their notice).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

It looks pretty neat but man that pricetag

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

It looks pretty neat but man that pricetag

Also the thought of the shipping cost makes me cry.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just updated the Disposable Heroes page with an actual play feat. some of the SPG crew. I had originally thought we'd have a podcast we were on showing off the mechanics but shrug_emoji

https://twitter.com/SandyPugGames/status/1173962910676242438

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not sure if I should still be posting this stuff in this thread since Bee Lives is no long on Kickstarter, but I don't know where else to put it. Anyway, bees in the news! Well, sort of. Science just put their review about Bee Lives up, which still blows my mind that they review board games (ok, they've reviewed 4 board games in 130 years). Anyway, pretty big deal at least in my world. They are the 2nd most influential general science journal in academia, just behind Nature.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2019/09/17/bee-lives/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That's really awesome! Congrats on the exposure!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

Not sure if I should still be posting this stuff in this thread since Bee Lives is no long on Kickstarter, but I don't know where else to put it. Anyway, bees in the news! Well, sort of. Science just put their review about Bee Lives up, which still blows my mind that they review board games (ok, they've reviewed 4 board games in 130 years). Anyway, pretty big deal at least in my world. They are the 2nd most influential general science journal in academia, just behind Nature.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2019/09/17/bee-lives/

It's also great that the review specifically highlights the bee-havioral basis of the game mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Also the thought of the shipping cost makes me cry.

They're quoting $25 worldwide for the shipping, which is plausible if sent from China.