Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Zokari posted:

It's pretty funny reading all this stuff about character builds because I felt like Devastating Shot and the bow overpower were basically the only skills worth using. Guess I should have tried other skills more?

I have the full poison set and the devastating shot merc bow and I have noticed it’s getting pretty strong with poison arrows so I could see things like 3 point mult getting useful in a full on hunter build. Might have to look myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I went with MAX ASSASSINATION ability and it never lead me wrong.

At the end of the first DLC I was assassinating mercenaries with one shot. :v:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Predator shot is also a really good single target ability that trades damage for accuracy speed and handling, and multi shot is some of the most powerful aoe damage in the game. The arrow mortar strike ability is useful in niche situations and is really fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Hunter tree in general is just mega OP.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I feel like the "each skill has 3 levels" system is pretty flawed in that a lot of skills seem really unimpressive at level 1 and you don't even bother with them.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
And this isn't even mentioning spread shot, the most powerful, interesting, and versatile ability in the entire game.

It's like a combo of devastating shot and multi shot except without the damage of devastating shot or the ability to actually hit more than one target of multi shot

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I wish they had leaned into the demigod stuff a little more in the mastery levels. Let me kick people farther, climb/swim faster, hit 2H weapon home runs with ordinary soldiers in battlegrounds. People who didn't want it because of *~immersion~* could take +1% of damage as healing stuff.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well I did it. All cultists killed, all artifacts collected, spear fully upgraded. Too bad the final boss of the main story is kicking my rear end. :( I'll get him eventually.

What a great game this was. Definitely a series high point imo. Origins was the refresh the series needed, and this was a great continuation of that. Excited to see what comes next.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What’s the first type of mission I should be doing at level 30? I’m not looking to obscenely power level, just get some new better gear. Do I just play Underground and dark zone and everything else?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Blind Rasputin posted:

What’s the first type of mission I should be doing at level 30? I’m not looking to obscenely power level, just get some new better gear. Do I just play Underground and dark zone and everything else?

Underground is pretty good. Hades has a really good LMG drop, and if you're lucky you can encounter the cerberus elite enemy, though you want to use the flame turret with appropriate engravings for that.

Edit: don't forget that the pirate set increases critical damage for SMGs

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 5, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

They got Alexios!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Blind Rasputin posted:

Black Griffon posted:

Underground is pretty good. Hades has a really good LMG drop, and if you're lucky you can encounter the cerberus elite enemy, though you want to use the flame turret with appropriate engravings for that.

Edit: don't forget that the pirate set increases critical damage for SMGs
:golfclap:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

exquisite tea posted:

They got Alexios!

:master:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ubi's shared video game universe is just getting ridiculous now.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Fuuuck lol. Got the threads mixed up. Sorry all. That was an absolutely perfect reply haha!

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
The last time I played an AC game was when I 100%'d Brotherhood several years ago.

Now I got a bird who is a military air drone, I can climb anything and fall forever, I captain an entire ship and crew for some reason, and my hobbies include parrying and not caring about street brawls.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

You should pick up a hobby of the times known as crack cocaine aka hero strike.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Add "set fire to everything, make the world burn" to that list

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Got my Good Family ending, holy poo poo that was terrible. I was way more invested in the gang coming together in Athens to plot Kleon's downfall than the subsequent bit and that was literally just two missions resulting in a conquest battle somewhere inexplicably far away.

The best thing about (above spoiler) was that it carried echos of an Ezio game chapter - 'the group of people you know and care about are using their skills to break down the support base of a guy you want to kill'. It's the closest in the game I got to that feeling of what the AC series wants it to mean to be an assassin.

Also the post-family ending ship banter is literally 'gosh Kass, you finished the main quest, what now?' 'Yes but look at this bit open world with stuff still in it, lets do some of that!' which is so meta that it really needed to have been done with a wink at the camera.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is there a mod that reduces enemy HP? Really not enjoying the sponges...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Party In My Diapee posted:

Is there a mod that reduces enemy HP? Really not enjoying the sponges...

You can turn down the enemy scaling to as much as 4 levels below your own in gameplay options.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks, but i am just about level 9. The problem is more that i can easily win fights against higher level bounty hunters etc. by dodging and blocking, but it takes forever. I assume reducing level scaling won't help with that?

Edit: Found a mod on the nexus to reduce the enemy health multiplier

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 6, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Once you get a build going it gets way easier to shred through all that health

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Party In My Diapee posted:

Thanks, but i am just about level 9. The problem is more that i can easily win fights against higher level bounty hunters etc. by dodging and blocking, but it takes forever. I assume reducing level scaling won't help with that?

Edit: Found a mod on the nexus to reduce the enemy health multiplier

The in-game methods for helping win battles faster are either upping warrior damage, or investing in poison, which reduces the effectiveness of enemy armor.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anything more than 2 levels above you is going to be prohibitively spongy (and able to 1-2 hit you).

If you are going down the Assassin tree then a master assassinate followed by a hero strike typically takes off most of a bounty hunter's health.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Did anyone see the comparison video for AC3 remastered yet? Looks pretty good, definitely a step above some intern unlocking the resolution scale in an .ini file like the recent FC3 "remaster."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoYyn8eI54

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am chiming in to say that I just got this and holy poo poo Kassandra is brilliant

she won me straight away with the "GODS BE DAMNED WHY HADES I MUST SUFFER THESE MOTHERFUCKERS" after getting punched in the face

if this post has been already done a thousand times, let it be a thousand and one because she's awesome

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:yeah:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

exquisite tea posted:

Did anyone see the comparison video for AC3 remastered yet? Looks pretty good, definitely a step above some intern unlocking the resolution scale in an .ini file like the recent FC3 "remaster."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoYyn8eI54

That score is so friggin' good.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Back when combat actually looked good...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Got the game on a big sale and it's been reasonably fun so far, it's kind of a mediocre mish-mash of good ideas copied from other better open-world games but if you're already played all of them Odyssey is fun enough.

One thing that I absolutely hate though is the way the skill tree works.
Speccing into Assassin tree makes you useless against animals and whenever the game feels like dropping you pre-alerted into a story mission or conquest mission.
Not speccing into the Hunting tree makes you waste 50% of your extremely limited ability slots.
So either you spec into Hunting + Warrior or you're crippling yourself one way or another.

I've been putting everything into the Assassin tree basically and now the main story mission wants me to kill a legendary animal that can't be attacked from stealth so all my Assassin Gear does literally nothing against it and I have to very very VERY slowly plonk at it with my useless arrows.
I can't even respec just for that fight because all my gear only gives me bonus Assassin Damage and the only ability that can deal Assassin Damage during combat is terrible against animals.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hero Strike is what you want to use against beasts, direct burst damage and a knockdown in most cases.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

exquisite tea posted:

Hero Strike is what you want to use against beasts, direct burst damage and a knockdown in most cases.

I'm the same level as the mandatory "boss" I'm trying to kill.
All my gear is the same level as me, highest quality I could find (all blue, some purple, one gold), upgraded as much as possible, all stacking Assassin Damage.
This is how much damage Hero Strike does:

And it requires an Adrenaline bar and also doesn't knockdown, only gives a little stagger you can't really use.

EDIT: Managed to kill it eventually by using the trusty method of mashing heavy attacks because it always staggers everyone so you can just keep doing it over and over.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 7, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jack Trades posted:

All my gear is the same level as me, highest quality I could find (all blue, some purple, one gold), upgraded as much as possible, all stacking Assassin Damage.

And it requires an Adrenaline bar and also doesn't knockdown, only gives a little stagger you can't really use.

EDIT: Managed to kill it eventually by using the trusty method of mashing heavy attacks because it always staggers everyone so you can just keep doing it over and over.

Whoever put that quest as one of the first you can do in the animals questline is a goddamn moron, because that's one of the hardest fights in the whole game. Since you killed him, well, you're going to have an easier time with almost every other fight, especially when you'll have more tools to play with :) (by level 30 you'll have more skill points than actual skills you want to use, or at least it was so for me)

Also this is useless now since you done it already but it's not a mandatory boss by any means, you can happily keep doing other main / side quests and come back when you outlevel that particular quest by 3-4 levels and it'll be much easier. Still not a piece of cake, it's one of the few quests where being overleveled doesn't make things trivial at all

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 7, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, is it impossible to get the "Full Stealth" bonus for clearing out a camp without being spotted without massively outleveling the camp? Because every camps has an elite guard in it and they don't seem to want to die in one shot even if I stack all the Assassin Damage I can and use the Critical Assassination skill and thus they just turn around and spot me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There no full stealth bonus as far as I'm aware and if there is I never got one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LOL that boar is by far the hardest fight in the game, I’m sure it’s killed many a potential Odyssey run. Easiest way to take him down early if you don’t have the Warrior heal ability is to bring up your bounty level and have the mercs clash with him. Or wait until you upgrade your spear to get the second tier of Assassin skills, which happens not long after you leave Phokis. Don’t overlook the passive mastery skills in the Hunter and Warrior trees either. You get up to 90% more armor from the passive warrior trait and start every fight at 1 adrenaline at level 2 of the hunter mastery.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, the boar is pure shenanigans. Like tea mentioned, bounty hunters can make it a royal rumble and that worked for me. The ability for different AI to just throw down and attack each other at any given moment is a really fun mechanic. Nothing fun about this fight solo though as you noticed, you're timing dodges and hitting it for a sliver of health at least 20 times. Its jump rope for 10 minutes unless there's something else to aggro pigsy. Good news is, if you beat him solo, you're well armed to beat any other bosses because you don't really get more than one chance to screw up in that fight's momentum, its definitely the least forgiving. Bad news, the other bosses are also all about jump rope and tiny attacks but by then your health should make you less brittle. The beasts are well worth it, the reward for that saga is to become utterly game breaking one shot man. And they get easier, because each gives you a reward.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I gotta say that the combat is reaaaaaally Witcher-y in the sense that you can probably take down harder enemies as long as you keep yourself patient and don't overextend yourself, I was taking down a level 10 mercenary being myself at 7 and I hosed up because suddenly other two garbage mercs snuck up on me and big baddie got a power shot straight at my flank :downs:

(also having some fighting game reflexes helps a ton because I was parrying/dodging pretty well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

dead comedy forums posted:

I gotta say that the combat is reaaaaaally Witcher-y in the sense that you can probably take down harder enemies as long as you keep yourself patient and don't overextend yourself, I was taking down a level 10 mercenary being myself at 7 and I hosed up because suddenly other two garbage mercs snuck up on me and big baddie got a power shot straight at my flank :downs:

(also having some fighting game reflexes helps a ton because I was parrying/dodging pretty well)

Absolutely agree, you really benefit from taking your time and taking a few steps back so enemies have to commit to attacks. Also fighting in open areas so you can dodge around a bunch.