Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All they need to do is throw a joke in Iron Fist about how nobody actually knows their names except the one that was already famous, Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Nobody wants to acknowledge the Incredible Hulk film, which I feel is a shame because it's actually pretty good. Doesn't Ben Urich have a headline about that battle as one of his office mementos in season one of Daredevil?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

All they need to do is throw a joke in Iron Fist about how nobody actually knows their names except the one that was already famous, Tony.

I mean there's no way Captain America wasn't famous after he returned, and several moments in Winter Soldier and Civil War confirm that. Maybe the Hulk and Thor are somehow still mysterious to the average person but it would seem odd the media wouldn't have pegged them with some nickname that would stick (hell, they probably would nail Thor since he is exactly like the Norse god). I can see nobody giving a real poo poo about the rest of them but like "Captain America and Tony Stark" should be names people are legitimately saying all the drat time in this universe.

They just need to stop being coy with it. It makes no drat sense either in-universe or for production purposes and is just the stupidest drat thing. Either reference them or don't, this stuff is laughable.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

wyntyr posted:

Nobody wants to acknowledge the Incredible Hulk film, which I feel is a shame because it's actually pretty good. Doesn't Ben Urich have a headline about that battle as one of his office mementos in season one of Daredevil?

Yep. There's also a Marvel Short with Coulson and some other shield guy doing a soft retcon of the end-scene in Hulk.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Koalas March posted:

No it doesn't. The entire imagery of Luke being in the hoodie being shot at, when he is handcuffed, when the police run around assaulting black kids, when they militarize the cops, addressing housing inequality and gentrification, and when the mother literally calls out that one Dept head, she says something like "even though you're black, you're still blue" are all comments/allusions to systematic racism. Even the tagline "America is ready for a bulletproof black man" is a comment on that.

There are also plenty crime bosses shown of various ethnicities. And they focused on Cottonmouth/Diamondback I assume because they're known comic characters and it's only been one season focusing on his origin. Just because systematic racism wasn't his main enemy, doesn't mean it wasn't always there and being addressed.

I'm seriously wondering if this poo poo is just too subtle for a lot white people.

Oh, it definitely touches on all those things. It's just that half the time when it does, it's in the context of the villains cynically exploiting them to advance their own ends.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean there's no way Captain America wasn't famous after he returned, and several moments in Winter Soldier and Civil War confirm that. Maybe the Hulk and Thor are somehow still mysterious to the average person but it would seem odd the media wouldn't have pegged them with some nickname that would stick (hell, they probably would nail Thor since he is exactly like the Norse god). I can see nobody giving a real poo poo about the rest of them but like "Captain America and Tony Stark" should be names people are legitimately saying all the drat time in this universe.

They just need to stop being coy with it. It makes no drat sense either in-universe or for production purposes and is just the stupidest drat thing. Either reference them or don't, this stuff is laughable.

Yeah. Cap has a museum display dedicated to him, and he's definitely been in the media. Hulk was covered extensively in the media, and wasn't it the media in the current MCU that called him the Hulk? Like the first time we hear that name was during a news segment? Thor is more understandable since his stuff always seems to come out of no where, but like you said, he is literally just Thor, who exists as a thing on Earth anyway, so people would just call him that. Widow and Hawkeye are the only two who it makes sense for people to have no idea about, since they were secret agents before the Battle of New York.

Also, I hate how the Battle of New York, aka the day aliens nearly destroyed Manhattan, is called the most ambiguous thing ever on the Netflix shows now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I call it the Battle of Avenger Aggression.

Wake up sheeple!!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah. Cap has a museum display dedicated to him, and he's definitely been in the media. Hulk was covered extensively in the media, and wasn't it the media in the current MCU that called him the Hulk? Like the first time we hear that name was during a news segment? Thor is more understandable since his stuff always seems to come out of no where, but like you said, he is literally just Thor, who exists as a thing on Earth anyway, so people would just call him that. Widow and Hawkeye are the only two who it makes sense for people to have no idea about, since they were secret agents before the Battle of New York.

Also, I hate how the Battle of New York, aka the day aliens nearly destroyed Manhattan, is called the most ambiguous thing ever on the Netflix shows now.

There was an interview when Daredevil season 1 came out where the showrunner basically said that they wanted to treat it like 9/11, but not in a tacky way. 9/11 explains nothing about the actual event other than the date and "the incident" was them trying to come up with a generic name that people would call it that sounded somber / ominous and would be recognizable by non-fans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Personally, I'd like some proof that there were any aliens at all and it wasn't just a mass hallucination perpetrated by Tony Stark's army of supervigilantes to explain a drunken rampage of destroying Manhattan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Endless Mike posted:

Personally, I'd like some proof that there were any aliens at all and it wasn't just a mass hallucination perpetrated by Tony Stark's army of supervigilantes to explain a drunken rampage of destroying Manhattan.

In Agents of Shield, one of the little touches I liked is that they had people who were basically 9/11 truthers about "the incident" and still questioned whether aliens were real and if it wasn't a government false flag or experiment gone wrong.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The thing is, that would actually be a very interesting plot to explore, especially given the role of SHIELD in the MCU up until just after Winter Soldier.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I guess I'm in the minority, since I didn't find the references jarring. It seemed to me that the would say 'guy with a magic hammer' or whatever in the context of describing weird stuff that has been going on in general, so it fits to me. They weren't talking about specific stuff Thor did, but rather a general statment that someone like him exists at all. I guess I could be remebering incorrectly, but that was the impression I got.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not calling people by name is stupid but I think it works when it was things like the mom talking about "green monsters" and such. And I really like "The Incident" as a name for what happened in Avengers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

wyntyr posted:

Yes, which is why it's really weird that the show actually set in Harlem won't acknowledge it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I was sad Michael K Williams didn't show up just to do another bit at least.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was called the battle for new york, thats a way better name.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fsmhunk posted:

I thought it was called the battle for new york, thats a way better name.

You're thinking of Def Jam.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I wish it was called the def jam.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

One of the villains says that Luke wants to be the Captain America of Harlem. Iron Man is said in a rap. They say their names.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was looking through the Luke Cage hashtag on twitter because I like to see people reacting to such an interesting show as they watch it, and I found some people Erotic Role Playing over twitter as Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

And now you guys have to know that too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cage is definitely a mack but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy to have much twitter game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Having finished the show I feel that

- Diamondback was my favorite character because he was just so into being an rear end in a top hat
- ...but both he and Cottonmouth come off looking incredibly incompetent in the end, like laughably "how-was-this-guy-ever-a-threat" incompetent
- I did not like the ending at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They don't do the best job of showing it, but I think it's implied that before Diamondback figured out who this "Luke Cage" cat was, he was a ruthless efficient crime boss first and a loving psycho second, but once it got personal he just flipped that. Which is why Shades goes from dropping wisdom he learned at Diamondback's side on Cottonmouth to wondering what the gently caress he's doing even working for Diamondback.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

They don't do the best job of showing it, but I think it's implied that before Diamondback figured out who this "Luke Cage" cat was, he was a ruthless efficient crime boss first and a loving psycho second, but once it got personal he just flipped that. Which is why Shades goes from dropping wisdom he learned at Diamondback's side on Cottonmouth to wondering what the gently caress he's doing even working for Diamondback.

Which is fair but I feel like they leaned a little too hard into that.

Cottonmouth was kind of a lameo from the word go though. A charismatic, well-acted lameo, but just real loving bad at being a crime lord.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Cottonmouth was kind of a lameo from the word go though. A charismatic, well-acted lameo, but just real loving bad at being a crime lord.

Kind of his character arc, if you think about it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah. He never wanted that life, and from the beginning, Domingo already didn't trust him much and his own young bartender was planning on ripping him off violently. And that was before Luke got involved.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Cottonmouth is far and away the best thing about the series, the, ah, reduced focus on him in the second half killed a lot of my interest. Diamondback does pick up a bit after a godawful couple of intro episodes though, I had warmed to him somewhat by the end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

How can you not love a Warriors reference delivered with such verve?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Iron Fist's official release will be March 17th 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYcmsfrI-U

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The most realistic part of the series was Hammer still having government contracts after its owner and main developer got arrested for supervillainy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Iron Fist's official release will be March 17th 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYcmsfrI-U
When's the trailer due?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

The most realistic part of the series was Hammer still having government contracts after its owner and main developer got arrested for supervillainy.

Ripped straight from the headlines!

Blackwater and its splinter companies had U.S. contracts for years after they had one of their guys MURDER MULTIPLE civilians and the company helped them cover it up from the U.S. and Iraqi governments.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hammer Industries just needs to change their name a few times and everyone will forget!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In addition to the Iron Fist release date, The Punisher started principle filming today and will release in late 2017.

The Defenders is also confirmed for a 2017 release date. So, there will be 3 Netflix shows in 2017 and Punisher is probably after The Defenders.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In addition to the Iron Fist release date, The Punisher started principle filming today and will release in late 2017.

The Defenders is also confirmed for a 2017 release date. So, there will be 3 Netflix shows in 2017 and Punisher is probably after The Defenders.

Thank god. I hope they stick to three.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ToastyPotato posted:

Thank god. I hope they stick to three.

They confirmed JJ season 2 and DD season 3. So, it is very likely they will both be 2018. Not sure if there are any others confirmed or rumored for 2018 yet though. That's 2 for 2018 so far.

I think it is probably a good guess that season 2 of Luke Cage will drop around there too, but they haven't actually confirmed a season 2 of Luke Cage yet. They confirmed season 2 of Daredevil a day or two after season 1 released and season 2 of JJ about a week or so after season 1's release date.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 4, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Watching the finale of cage and I'm wondering what bad thing is gonna happen to Claire in defenders that she and cage aren't gonna end up together

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ufarn posted:

When's the trailer due?

The first Luke Cage trailer that wasn't a 15 second teaser wasn't released until August 9th, so I'd guess mid January

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

site posted:

Watching the finale of cage and I'm wondering what bad thing is gonna happen to Claire in defenders that she and cage aren't gonna end up together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vwNcNOTVzY&t=188s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Um

No