Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
if she's on knock down (aka "the other tactic you should just have everyone set to 90% of the time") she would just knock everyone down and then heal you once she has a free turn tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
maybe she missed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
maybe not being able to control party members was always a bad idea

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked it but I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to play an entire series of games like that

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It kinda worked in Persona 3 in my own opinion, and then in Persona 4 it felt a little weird to have full control because you were constantly menu-sifting, but Persona 5 streamlined the UI really well so it all works out.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I dunno why they even bothered keeping the mechanic if they removed all the useful AI scripts. I can't tell people to focus on knocking down enemies but that's still the cornerstone of every random battle that you don't just disintegrate with phys moves

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
no safe rooms in memento depths?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are a couple. It's not a long dungeon

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I kind of miss party members learning skills from SL ranks, but I guess since that was a P4G thing it might be reserved for whatever P5 edition comes out in a few years. Makoto would probably get Concentrate and make Ann cry.

My last P4 run was 'party members can only use skills from SLs', it was interesting.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

bewilderment posted:

Was I just really bad at Persona when I was younger or is Persona 5 a lot easier than 3 and 4? Just beat the game and the final bosses were a breeze, compared to the boss of Palace 7 were I was actually in a little bit of trouble. Thanks to my Personas Yoshitsune (damage), Lucifer (debuffs), Attis (heals and magic) and Cybele (other heals and magic).

4 especially I was having a really hard time managing SP and staying on track with the level curve while others were apparently breezing by as if the Fox costs meant nothing to them.

Maybe it helped that for this game I followed a Confidant guide - not for scheduling, just for saying the right thing.

i thought p5 was way easier than 3 and 4 and i suck at these games, i didn't die to any bosses except one mid boss and the highest tier persona i fused was black frost. im definitely playing on hard next time because i feel like i missed out on a bunch of fusion stuff

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Maya Fey posted:

i thought p5 was way easier than 3 and 4 and i suck at these games, i didn't die to any bosses except one mid boss and the highest tier persona i fused was black frost. im definitely playing on hard next time because i feel like i missed out on a bunch of fusion stuff

I played on Hard and the highest tier Person I fused was also Black Frost. Ones like Yoshitsune are just overkill and that doesn't change.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P5 Hard is pretty nuts until Palace 3, where it stabilizes a bit. It goes up again around palace 5 but only because that palace is just unfun, and never up to the first few palaces' difficulty.

The first dungeon of P4 on hard mode is pretty tough, the second is still a bit 'the Fox is pretty expensive' territory, then it doesn't really get tough after that until maybe the NG+ boss.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks to everyone yesterday who mentioned getting a physical P4G instead, managed to get one real cheap.

May your waifus/hazubandos bless you

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Wait, it's "Gun About", not "Gunner Bout"? Everything I knew is a lie.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Wait, it's "Gun About", not "Gunner Bout"? Everything I knew is a lie.

GUN about : THE SUPER REAL

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I have determined that Goro Fuckman is best boy

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Temperance rank 10 spoilers

Becky: You're a phantom thief, aren't you?
MC: *gasp* how did you figure that out?!
Becky: dude i've been doing your laundry for weeks
MC: ....Point taken.

I don't have many 10 ranks yet but this one was probably my favourite so far.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Anyone Platnium yet? I just have to catch the dumb fish. Fishing in this game is a lot worse than Persona 4, imo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harlock posted:

Anyone Platnium yet? I just have to catch the dumb fish. Fishing in this game is a lot worse than Persona 4, imo.

I'm basically there. Just need to blitz NG+ really, but I'll do it in due course. Catching the guardian isn't super awful, but if you have a bunch of time to do it in your schedule, probably worth getting the best rod and making it even easier

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The jazz cover of Last Surprise some people have done is my new jam.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't like "Last Surprise" when I first listened to it--just on YouTube when the game came out in Japan--but now I think it's my favorite Persona random battle theme. It's really fitting for everything about the game and the lyrics are suitably murderous. Plus "you'll never see it comiiiiiiiiin'" is really catchy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I didn't like "Last Surprise" when I first listened to it--just on YouTube when the game came out in Japan--but now I think it's my favorite Persona random battle theme. It's really fitting for everything about the game and the lyrics are suitably murderous. Plus "you'll never see it comiiiiiiiiin'" is really catchy

The best part of any fight is when that line syncs up with the start of an All-Out Attack :allears:.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another to add to the list of "game systems I somehow entirely missed despite having finished the game with all confidants maxed":

You can take your party members to the confessional at the church to respec their Persona's skills? Luckily I never ended up really needing to do that but :eyepop: that's a pretty cool system I somehow entirely failed to notice

Apparently Akechi overwrote Mahamaon and Mamudoon before he joined like a total schmuck

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 25, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

Another to add to the list of "game systems I somehow entirely missed despite having finished the game with all confidants maxed":

You can take your party members to the confessional at the church to respec their Persona's skills? Luckily I never ended up really needing to do that but :eyepop: that's a pretty cool system I somehow entirely failed to notice

They should have stolen another idea from pokemon and had good skills that party members can only get from the skill relearner. Then it might have even possibly been worth a time slot to use.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it fits so well I have a hard time using the costumes to change the battle music even to other themes I really like!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part of any fight is when that line syncs up with the start of an All-Out Attack :allears:.

It's amazing how often it happens and I never get tired of it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently you can farm XP with the reaper in mementos during flu season.

I just did it accidentally (I left the game running since someone was at the door and triggered the reaper) and gained like 7 levels.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

P5 Hard is pretty nuts until Palace 3, where it stabilizes a bit. It goes up again around palace 5 but only because that palace is just unfun, and never up to the first few palaces' difficulty.

The first dungeon of P4 on hard mode is pretty tough, the second is still a bit 'the Fox is pretty expensive' territory, then it doesn't really get tough after that until maybe the NG+ boss.

I started a new game on Merciless. Getting to the treasure in minimum number of days. Palace 1 was brutal to the point where I was running and avoiding mobs since ... the library area. Palace 2 had Hua Pos I could get some money out of, and I had a SP patch for the treasure run. I made sure to capture the Regent to get Psi / Frei access. Boss was the most difficult palace boss so far as I had one source of physical AoE in Shiisa and no Media. Ryuji had yet to learn Rampage.

In Palace 3 I had tools to deal with everything (Elemental spread, Despair, SP patch) and the boss gave me a bunch of turns for throwing a physical ointment. Palace 4 was similar, but Anubises were tedious wins. Boss was rough, though. Technical hits on Dizzy mess you up fast and she starts throwing out Despair which I was not immune to. I had to use physical ointments to accelerate her death.

I just completed Palace 5 last night and it was a relative breeze. Despair elephants and witches, nuke Kaiwan, robots all have a weakness, Haru can destroy everything else if necessary. Boss was also the easiest so far, he focuses on Haru so Tetrakarn means he kills himself as long as you keep up buffs for Big Bang Challenge.

So no, I didn't see a difficulty jump in Palace 5. At this point I am finishing up most links so I'd have time to go Reaper farm but I don't really want to remove the challenge.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thing I want in either the next Persona game or Persona 5: The Definitely Happening Expansion:

I want to see party members hanging out together without Joker. The easiest way I could see to do this without shoehorning in extra scenes would be to have it possible to run into Phantom Thieves hanging out together when you do those "go to a specific place" hangouts. You can already sometimes run into other confidants, but it'd be cool to, for example, go to Akihabara with Mishima or something and run into Futaba dragging Yusuke around to show him sentai figures. Or go to the bookstore with Hifumi and you see Makoto and Haru geeking out over the newest study guides (which, according to some incidental Mementos dialog, is something they have in common).

It's a small thing, but it'd be cool and better sell the bond the group has together, I think.

NRVNQSR posted:

They should have stolen another idea from pokemon and had good skills that party members can only get from the skill relearner. Then it might have even possibly been worth a time slot to use.

That'd be pretty similar to the bike hangouts in Persona 4 Golden, where you can unlock new skills for your party members by riding bikes with them. Given that Golden gives you a whole extra month to play with makes it easier to justify spending time riding bikes with your pals. Maybe they'll do something similar in Persona 5 Inevitable Expansion.

Andrast posted:

Apparently you can farm XP with the reaper in mementos during flu season.

I just did it accidentally (I left the game running since someone was at the door and triggered the reaper) and gained like 7 levels.

Yep. Worth noting that there are only like four or five flu season days total so you gotta make sure you go in on the right days. I think the last two flu season days are 12/8 and 12/9?

Anyway watching the Reaper die of the flu never gets old

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 25, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

it'd be cool to, for example, go to Akihabara with Mishima

🤔

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I couldn't think of anyone else who would want to hang out in Akihabara except Mishima or Futaba and I was already using Futaba for the other part of the example :v:

Maybe Shinya

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yep. Worth noting that there are only like four or five flu season days total so you gotta make sure you go in on the right days. I think the last two flu season days are 12/8 and 12/9?

Anyway watching the Reaper die of the flu never gets old

I'm probably not doing it any more since I haven't even finished palace 6 yet and I don't want to totally trivialize the whole thing. I guess I can do get myself to 99 on 12/9 then

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ryuji hangs out in the cafe and reads manga and spends all night playing video games.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

drat, you guys were right, Haru is super disappointed if you don't ask her out. Made me feel like a jerk.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wouldn't be too hard for Ryuji to sperg out about a video game they had over there. Or maids.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

DO IT TO IT posted:

drat, you guys were right, Haru is super disappointed if you don't ask her out. Made me feel like a jerk.

On the plus side, it made dating her on NG+ even more cute and good, at least for me, because I was aware how disappointed she'd be otherwise!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wouldn't be too hard for Ryuji to sperg out about a video game they had over there. Or maids.

Ryuji's Guts isn't high enough to go to the maid cafe with you....
He thinks he could go if his Guts was at least Dauntless.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

TheFireMagi posted:

On the plus side, it made dating her on NG+ even more cute and good, at least for me, because I was aware how disappointed she'd be otherwise!

Yeah I think I'm gonna do that as well now. Sorry teacher and/or Futaba.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah I think I'm gonna do that as well now. Sorry teacher and/or Futaba.

Please don't date your little sister.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm convinced that random encounters are balanced to take about 45 seconds each so that happens as often as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there actually a lower accuracy baked into Lucky/Miracle Punch? I'm sure I've heard 'Mona! AIM!' more than any other character quip other than weakness knock-downs.