Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

America does it, and its an effective policy. If criminal migrants knew that they would be held in solitary confinement pending deportation, how many would have come to Germany this past summer? Fortunately for the world, there is an alternative to Merkel's weak, terrorist-enabling policies. An alternative for Germany.

My dear friend,

convicted criminals are put in prison in Germany too. But if claiming asylum at the border or being refused asylum were to be made a crime/felony, it would effectively mean the end of the entire asylum system. I think you should rather advocate that directly, instead of going the route of criminalization.

Improving available legal resources to help stop another Berlin type attack is a good and sensible endeavour, but doing it in the way that you proposed is impossible in the current legal and constitutional framework and therefore a poor suggestion. I think you would need to have a decent understanding of existing laws and procedures in Germany to form an informed opinion on that matter and make a sensible proposition. I fear that neither of us are really qualified to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

My Imaginary GF posted:

America does it, and its an effective policy. If criminal migrants knew that they would be held in solitary confinement pending deportation, how many would have come to Germany this past summer? Fortunately for the world, there is an alternative to Merkel's weak, terrorist-enabling policies. An alternative for Germany.

Promoting crypto-fascist practices in the Germany thread is deemed to be in poor taste, hth.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just don't engage.

Also I can't really wrap my head around the hosed-up logic that would lead someone to the conclusion that anything about America's immigration policies is "effective", let alone saying that other countries should emulate them :psyduck:

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 22, 2016

az
Dec 2, 2005

botany posted:

oh cool migf posts here now :chloe:

we are truly hosed

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I wish MIGF would just put truth into advertising/his forum handle because my imaginary gf is a) cool and good and not a boring old troll and b) imaginary

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

My Imaginary GF posted:

A crime has already occured: illegal migration.

No.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Drone posted:

I can't really wrap my head around the hosed-up logic that would lead someone to the conclusion that anything about America's immigration policies is "effective", let alone saying that other countries should emulate them :psyduck:

Clearly Germany needs to build a 100km moat along all its borders.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Mithaldu posted:

Clearly Germany needs to build a 100km moat along all its borders.

and make Österreich pay for it (by introducing moat crossing pickerls obviously)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It's high time to send all those illegal asylum seekers residing in Florida back to Cuba!

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013
So, did I get this right? migf is supporting anti-semites now, just because they hate arabs?

He has finally finished his metamorphosis from an stinkass ugly conservadem caterpillar into an even uglier republican butterfly. Ah, the majesty of nature!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

My Imaginary GF posted:

America is not a rolemodel. I can't think of anything good coming from there that we should emulate.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

JaucheCharly posted:

America is not a rolemodel. I can't think of anything good coming from there that we should emulate.

Gay marriage and (in an increasing number of states) legalized weed? :shrug:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You mean they're trying to be more like the Netherlands?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
My Antiamericanism becomes less defensible if only cool Americans like drone post in this thread.

Therefore I welcome MIGF posting from an Agitprop perspective.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Randler posted:

My Antiamericanism becomes less defensible if only cool Americans like drone post in this thread.

2017 I'm eligible to apply for Niederlassungserlaubnis, I'm in the thread for the long haul. :tipshat:

In dem Fall dass ich irgendwann die deutsche Staatsbürgerschaft bekomme, darfst du gerne deinen Antiamerikanismus ungehindert und bequem forttreiben. :v:

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 22, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/anschlag-in-berlin-anis-amri-bot-sich-offenbar-als-selbstmordattentaeter-an-a-1127138.html

Now imagine instead of an Islamic terrorist in NRW (SPD/Greens government) this would have been a Nazi terrorist in Bavaria. Would your reaction be the same?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
In that case we still wouldn't know his name.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Drone, darf ich fragen woher dein ausgezeichnetes Deutsch kommt? Alles andere als die Antwort "bilingual aufgewachsen" und ich geh in die Ecke und schäme mich.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Drone posted:

2017 I'm eligible to apply for Niederlassungserlaubnis, I'm in the thread for the long haul. :tipshat:

Grats dude. I have a visa extension for until end of January 2018 for the job search, and hopefully my current job contract gets entfristet soon so that I can apply for a proper work permit. Sadly the Niederlassungserlaubnis is probably 2 or 3 years out assuming all goes well :(

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

botany posted:

In that case we still wouldn't know his name.
Verfassungsschützer: "Denken Sie, Ihr Nachbar hat nationalsozialistische Tendenzen, welche sich in einem Terroranschlag entladen könnten?"

Bayer: "Da Houba Bou? Des is scho a hinterfotziger Hund nachat..."

Verfassungsschützer: "Okay...danke...?"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

Verfassungsschützer: "Denken Sie, Ihr Nachbar hat nationalsozialistische Tendenzen, welche sich in einem Terroranschlag entladen könnten?"

Bayer: "Da Houba Bou? Des is scho a hinterfotziger Hund nachat..."

Verfassungsschützer: "Okay...danke...?"

hahahaha :xd:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Stop engaging MIGF, you doofuses, or only do it in the Umgagssprache eurer (Wahl-)Heimatregion.

Off Topic: Ich bin seit 18 Monaten endlich mal wieder in Franken, um über die Feiertage meine Familie und Freundin zu sehen. ENDLICH mal wieder a gscheits Bier! A gscheits Bockbier noch dazu!

\ninjaeditierung:

Geil, mein Tastenbrett hat endlich wieder Umlaute, auch wenn ich mich jetyt permanent vertippe und statt Anführungsyeichen ÖÖÖÖÖ und ÄÄÄÄ schreibe

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Stop engaging MIGF,

On the contrary, everybody should engage MIGF simultaneously. Preferably "auf Kette".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Schurik posted:

Drone, darf ich fragen woher dein ausgezeichnetes Deutsch kommt? Alles andere als die Antwort "bilingual aufgewachsen" und ich geh in die Ecke und schäme mich.

Darf ich mein allererstes Post auf Deutsch in diesem Forum vorstellen:

Drone posted:

(Bitte Entschuldigen Sie mein schlechtes Deutsch!)

Jetzt lerne ich Deutsch im meine Universität, und ich möchte aus mein Klassenzimmer reden. Ich höre gewöhnlich "Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten" zu, und ich finde es ein bisschen hilfreich. Dass ist mein Zwei Cents, ich habe nichts sagen.

(Übrigens, gibt es eine Redewengung auf Deutsch für "my two cents"?)

Für mich war der Ablauf so: Deutsch im Klassenzimmer ca. 2 Jahrelang studiert, danach hab ich 3 Jahre als deutschsprachigen Helpdesk-Technician gearbeitet (das europäische HQ meiner Firma hat witzigerweise fast alle ihre IT-Support Infrastruktur in die USA geoutsourced). Sommer 2012 bin ich ohne wirklich feste Arbeitspläne nach Berlin gezogen, habe dort teilzeitig als Englischtrainer und IT Consultant gejobbt (war praktisch arbeitslos, habe genug Geld verdient um Lebensmittel zu kaufen, geschweige denn die immer teuerer werdenen Studentengebühren von USA, die ich heute noch zahlen muss). Anfang 2014 habe ich durch einen sehr glücklichen Zufall eine Stelle beim europäischen HQ meiner alten Firma gefunden und bin nach Darmstadt gezogen. The rest is history.

The official working language of my department is English, but I still speak German about 80% of my day in the office. I've never really been able to accept praise of my German though. My accent is really good, and I sometimes get the feeling that that makes people expect my spoken fluency to be slightly better than it really is. Or maybe it's just all in my head and I only hear the mistakes :v: And me and my Germangoon fiancé just speak English at home anyway.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Grats dude. I have a visa extension for until end of January 2018 for the job search, and hopefully my current job contract gets entfristet soon so that I can apply for a proper work permit. Sadly the Niederlassungserlaubnis is probably 2 or 3 years out assuming all goes well :(

I forget, whereabouts are you from / at currently? You the goonposter who studies in Marburg?

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 22, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Drone, I had no idea you were not German, that's some seriously impressive stuff.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Drone posted:

als deutschsprachigen Helpdesk-Technician

Ha! Erwischt! Nein quatsch,

botany posted:

that's some seriously impressive stuff.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Ein Prost darauf, dass der Bundesadler seine Schwingen öffnet um Drone in Empfang zu nehmen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

That the US is doing this amoral and unethical policy is just giving us the moral high ground here. We can continue to scoff at the stupid, stupid Amis being dumb and evil and poo poo. :v:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Stop engaging MIGF, you doofuses, or only do it in the Umgagssprache eurer (Wahl-)Heimatregion.

Sorry, but he is giving me a Steilvorlage for so many jokes, it's hard to resist.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drone posted:

Darf ich mein allererstes Post auf Deutsch in diesem Forum vorstellen:

Pretty interesting that you used Sie to adress the people in the thread. I guess they don't teach the proper online use of Du and Sie

At least your written German is really good, I'm amazed how quickly you learned it.

Out of curiosity, is there something like dopelte Staatsbürgerschaft in the USA? I know you're not eligible for it here since you weren't born/didn't grow up in Germany (which is stupid btw.), but would you lose your American citizenship regardless if you became citizen of another country that had more relaxed rules about dual citizenship?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Torrannor posted:

Pretty interesting that you used Sie to adress the people in the thread. I guess they don't teach the proper online use of Du and Sie
That's actually a trap, the correct way to address Germans online is with "Na, ihr Spackos?".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Was geht ab, ihr Luschen?

e: corrected spelling error

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Torrannor posted:

At least your written German is really good, I'm amazed how quickly you learned it.

Out of curiosity, is there something like dopelte Staatsbürgerschaft in the USA? I know you're not eligible for it here since you weren't born/didn't grow up in Germany (which is stupid btw.), but would you lose your American citizenship regardless if you became citizen of another country that had more relaxed rules about dual citizenship?

As far as I understand it, the US allows it, or at least is more flexible about it than Germany is. According to German law, I have to present evidence (from the American consulate) that I am surrendering my American citizenship before the government will confer German citizenship upon me. The only major exception that I know of is if you can demonstrate that surrendering your American citizenship would cause you undue financial hardship.

But the US is in a unique position of causing its citizens abroad financial hardship by maintaining their citizenship, since American income taxes are based on citizenship and not location. I have to file both American and German taxes every year (though to be fair, I don't have to actually pay anything major to the US, since I earn below $75,000 USD a year). Also funfact, even if I surrendered my citizenship, I am liable for American taxes for several years after that. Oh, and when I opened a German bank account, I had to sign a form (by treaty) that I understood that German banks are required to report my assets to the American government.

And yeah, they never once taught us about du/Sie on the internet. It's Neuland, after all, and even moreso when you're learning the language abroad. German pop culture that is taught in German classes in the US is like 20 years behind what's current (we listened to a lot of Herbert Grönemeyer....)

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Also, remember that the proper form of saying goodbye anywhere is "Hau rein"

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

e: corrected spelling error

Du Lauch du.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is a German pop culture? You mean like Lola rennt and that screaming Hitler video meme? What would modern German pop culture even be? :cryingbundeshähnchen:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

There is a German pop culture? You mean like Lola rennt and that screaming Hitler video meme? What would modern German pop culture even be? :cryingbundeshähnchen:

Helene Fischer?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Drone your German is p. good

DU

DU HAS(S)T

DU HAS(S)T MICH

JaucheCharly posted:

They're REALLY good at attracting highly talented immigrants.

I've also really warmed up to the "melting pot" ideal.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Hafti, 187er, Kollegah, SSIO, loving AnnenMayKantereit und wasweißichnicht noch.

Und natürlich die Musik für alte Menschen, so wie Andrea Berg, Udo Lindenberg oder die Beginner.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wait, that's pop music. But I guess pop music is technically part of pop culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Well, yeah. Add Tatort to it and we're done. I guess there are also some decent movies? I don't know.

In terms of literature, I guess we might actually get some decent results, but I'm honestly not sure if that still counts as "popular culture" beyond stuff like Harry Potter.

e: Does Gronkh count? :v: