Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

MelvinBison posted:

Let me get this straight though: how does sealing the door-sized holes on the godbox with doors shut it down? And if the holes in it are door-sized, were you just unable to go inside the godbox and fiddle with it? You said people were sticking their arms in it, which is why I'm wondering.

For whatever reason the doors are a control mechanism for the thing and are designed to turn it off when they're all fully inserted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

They're door height but thinner than an arm because you're meant to flip it turnways and slot them in, like putting a book back on a shelf. The six plates/doors "regulate the electromagnetism" but the probe doesn't work/provide for the Trogs with them in so the Trogs starve. How did the plates get out in the first place and turned into doors? The creators of the dungeon did it. Are the Trogs doomed without their god? No, in a few weeks they learn to remove the plates and they're okay. There are actually three separate outcomes possible.

Kill the God, spare the Trogs: they remove the plates two weeks later unless you break the god, in which case fat chance.
Kill the Trogs, spare the God: it draws/teleports more to worships it over time.
Kill everyone: roving monsters, slimes and undead take over the level.

The easiest outcome is the best outcome and is just pointless petty dickery.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't know what you folks mean, it's clearly the boss of the level, why would you equal or greater get more experience for not killing the boss

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's not a boss, it's *loot*.

Who the hell destroys loot.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Heliotrope posted:

I'd be interested in hearing about what's going on, even if you just talk about what happened instead of fictionalizing it. I'd actually prefer it to be honest.
Right on. Well in that case, let me start at the beginning. I don't remember whether it was here or on the "Barth Forth Apocalyptica" forums, but somewhere along the line I heard a great suggestion for putting together Apocalypse World games, which is to have each player give you an adjective that describes the apocalypse. This has produced a bunch of radically differnt games, and is always tremendous fun for me as an MC because I get to riff off whatever the players throw at me. In this case, they gave me: Religious, Primitive, Tormented, and Shadowy.

After kicking that around for a bit, one of the players (fellow Goon BlackIronHeart) mentioned that it kind of reminded him of the setting of a German RPG called "Degenesis." The other players bought into that idea, and we decided that the game was set in a gloomy land in which the sky was perpetually cloudy and dark (the brightest things get is a sort of gloaming) and where demons walk the earth. The demons are generally warded off by open flame, more on this in a bit. We decided to lean in on the Gothic nature and origin of Degenesis, so everything is decidedly Germanic.

The people of the land are deeply religious but divided in how they practice - in more settled regions, the "Redeemers" hold sway - they believe that the blotting out of the sun and the plague of demons is God's punishment for the wickedness of mankind, and that the only way to restore things to the way they were is through purity of mind and deed. Think like a cross between flagellants and the inquisition and you're not far off. As a sort of adjunct to the Redeemers, the "Torchbearers" are the people that maintain the lit torches along the road. They "bring the light of God to the wilds." In less settled areas, however, where people have to live with the demons, you have a twist on this religion that gives you the "Appeasers" - people who are hip to demons being God's punishment, but believe that redemption requires sacrifice. Literal human sacrifice. Like, full-on "The Lottery" style sacrifice, where people are occasionally chosen from these tiny communities at random and chained to a rock out in the woods, where (presumably) terrible things happen to them. If the hours of tormented screaming are anything to go by, it's not pleasant.

Then there are the Dämmerung. They believe that the demons are not God's punishment, but rather God's test. Further, Demons should not be appeased or simply avoided, but rather fought - head-on, with maximum violence. They are extremely few in number and most of the other religious folks look upon them as heretics.

Right, so the part consists of the following:
Archimandrex Hike (The Chopper): As the leader of a gang of Torchbearers, Hike and her crew roam back and forth between the various scattered settlements ensuring the roads are safe. And by "safe" I mean safe from demons, but not from the kind of shake-down artistry bordering on banditry that the gang itself practices.

Barbarossa (The Gunlugger): Formerly a member of Hike's gang of Torchbearers, at some point along the way Barbarossa "saw the light" and joined up with the Dämmerung. Trained in the fine art of demon-hunting in one of their remote fortress-monasteries, he's here to slay him some baddies (and anyone who gets in his way while doing so).

Inga Müller (The Maestro D'): At the beginning of the game, Inga ran "Der Asylhaus," a tavern where folks could come, relax, eat good food, drink good beer, and be part of the community. Religious discussion or argumentation was strictly prohibited - leave your dogma at the door, so to speak. The place was a fixture of the tiny settlement of Höllewald, way out on the frontier.

Tendahl (The Savvyhead): The local smith in Höllewald, Tendahl is irascible, unlikable, and super handy. At the beginning of the campaign, Tendahl doesn't have much in the way of religious convictions, but that's about to change.

Carl - among other names (The Child-Thing): Carl (or "Liebchen" as Inga calls him) is something of an enigma. An urchin, Carl always seems to be around when weird poo poo happens. He is not really of this world, but no one has really twigged to that yet. Inga has a sort of weird maternal instinct about Carl, which he mostly just sighs and tolerates.

When the campaign opens, the Bishop Torvald had come to Höllewald with his retinue with the express intent of nailing a writ of condemnation on the door of Der Asylhaus, denouncing it as a den of iniquity and licentiousness. Archimandrex Hike (who frequented the place when in this neck of the woods) took this poorly, so imagine the Bishop's surprise when the Torchbearer leader stabbed him in the back. Then imagine Hike's surprise when the Bishop's dying shriek turned into a roar and a Lost-style smoke monster billowed out of his open mouth, and all hell broke loose.

That was the opening scene of the campaign.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

I'm not sure how, as a DM, you can get that far into a game that's going that poorly and not start throwing out some heavy-handed hints. Like, how was the DM not just as miserable as the players by the 3 hour mark?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The Tomb of Blood Everflowing

quote:

The journey from The City of Seven Score Thousand Smokes to the Tomb of Blood Everflowing is just over 30 miles to the northeast and finding the tomb didn’t pose much difficulty to us, thanks to the directions and descriptions of it provided by the Sages in the Great Library.

After several day's travel from the City, we reached the low foothills of the Bone Hills and followed landmarks to a pair of blood red stone obelisks that flank a dark hole in the hillside. No trees grow on the hill's jagged top and no animals call this place home. The air was still and quiet but smelled deeply of copper.

We approached the open entrance of the cairn and took the simple marble staircase going down, arriving in a largish foyer or vestibule of some kind. Immediately we spot what could only be blood pouring from a stone skull mounted in the ceiling, completely filling a well beneath it. The blood overflow pours through a spout into a channel in the floor that runs down the hallway to a pool at the opposite end of the corridor.

Snakeeyes: “I wonder if this is the place.”

Also of note are the walls which are carved with writing in some form of ancient Sulouise. I could sense, with an attempt at attunement, the blood pouring from the roof is magic and radiates a moderate necromantic aura. I heard the ringing of Snakeeye's katana being drawn from its scabbard as I readied my quarterstaff and moved into the room to give the walls a closer look.

With my limited knowledge of the Suel written language the writing was difficult to understand, but it appeared to be an account of ancient Suel necromancers who settled in this region ages ago. It listed the lineages of some Suel families interred within, and scanning over the names I did not see the name van Neuman. I wasn't sure if I was glad or disappointed.

As I attempt to read the writing on the wall, Snakeeyes moves though the room, searching for anything out of place, and turns up a section of wall marked by a series of irregular indentations. Indentations identical to the bumps on the back of the pendant given to us by Altarnaic the Calm. Placing the pendant over the indentations, Snakeeyes gives it a turn and a submerged door in the north wall of the pool opens, allowing the blood to drain down a flight of stairs.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Ilor posted:

That was the opening scene of the campaign.

This is a good scene! Can't wait to hear more of it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
If I were to give this story a title it'd be "oh god it keeps happening". Our heroes:

Keryth, elf swordsage. Sailor by trade, calls literally everything that isn't the blood of vol "cult bullshit".
Piggy, half-orc warblade. Is very good at charging in and making a terrible mess of whatever gets hit.
Oloth, draconic bard. Is trying to build his reputation as a rockstar outside of Seren, and between DFI and maxing out inspire courage boosters, he pretty much is.
Len, elan psychic warrior. Grows big and uses psionic claws, while spending every possible spare action on activating the Rod of Wonder.

Now, as any good DM with far too much time on my hands, I made my own list for the Rod of Wonder. The list changes slightly from game to game (and sometimes between sessions), but remains roughly the same major artifact. The big change is that you can activate it as a move action; this lets casters activate it and cast a spell in the same round, ToB classes can do a maneuver and activate it, and it lets a certain psywar who likes to manifest Hustle linked to Hustle activate it a positively hilarious number of times in one round, should he desire. Now this in and of itself isn't a problem per se; most of the effects aren't encounter-warping at all. However, the effects get bigger as they go down on the d% list, and at 100 is the spell Tsunami. Len has so far gotten this effect three times.

Tsunami posted:

Conjuration (Creation) [Water]
Level: Druid 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: 20-ft./level-wide, 10-ft.-long, 40-ft.-high wave of water; see text
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a towering tsunami and sends it forth in a powerful wave to smash all in its path. The tsunami starts at any point you select within range of the spell and then moves at a speed of 60 feet in any direction chosen by you. Once the direction is set, the tsunami cannot change course. The tsunami deals 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) to all in its path. Anything struck can make a Fortitude saving throw for half damage. Gargantuan or larger creatures that fail the save are knocked prone. Huge or smaller creatures that fail the save are picked up and carried with the wave. Each round a victim is carried by the tsunami, it takes the bludgeoning damage again and can make an additional Fortitude save for half damage.
The first time, they were in the warehouse/docks district of Fairhaven. Trying to figure out just what a certain antique dealer was up to with his shipments coming in but never being visibly unloaded. Fighting the kobolds who were both working in and defending the warehouse, they nearly died in the first warehouse. Fortunately for them, clearing out the second was easy because in the first round Len called up a massive swell of water off the river! This had the wonderful effect of dealing 20d6 damage to everything including the warehouse itself. This in turn drew the attention of said antique dealer, who the party later found out is a dracolich with a suite of magic dedicated to altering his form while largely retaining his functionality. Luckily for them the Rod created a portal to Irian, the Eternal Day which was enough of a distraction to let them call in a friend (Oloth's great-aunt on his dragon side) to get them out.

Not long after, the party finds themselves on a boat, captained by Keryth through the Eldeen Bay towards Desolate. They are almost rammed by an infamous pirate ship, but Keryth rolls amazingly on her Profession (Sailor) check and manages to not only avoid the spear but also bring them into a position to board the pirates (and get a surprise round). And what makes for a more exciting boat battle than conjuring a tsunami! It sweeps the pirate captain off the boat and nearly kills Piggy as well, knocking him below decks and starting a boss fight right away.

And now, two sessions later, the party is trying to get more info on a certain esoteric order they were about to help up until they found out they were trying to summon up Dagon. This lead to a fight with some cultists and deep ones that was tense up until Len blasted out a third tsunami, taking out two cultists and a deep one by blasting them into a solid stone wall with a fuckload of water. Fortunately, no PCs were harmed in this particular activation.

Next week, the party is going hunting for the other group of interest, a barbarian tribe that has been kidnapping the townsfolk and stealing their identities via magic. I'm expecting Len to call up another tsunami and lay waste to the town entirely, because roll20's RNG seems to pick a value on a given table and add +50 weight to it for laughs.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
There is something liberating in being a Chaotic Neutral Cleric. Anytime someone gets in our way, I can just suggest we kill him and I'll resurrect him later if we need to

Need to rescue a princess from a dragon? Why worry about keeping her alive, I can just bring her back later

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 18, 2019

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

The Glumslinger posted:

There is something liberating in being a Chaotic Neutral Cleric. Anytime someone gets in our way, I can just suggest we kill him and I'll resurrect him later if we need to

Need to rescue a princess from a dragon? Why worry about keeping her alive, I can just bring her back later

Murderhobo.txt

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Murderhobo.txt

My group is very anti-murder, so I figure I need to try to bring up the option. Like we took an assassination contract on a bard who slept with a mobster's wife. Well after taking the contract, our party ends up split 2-2 on whether to kill him. We eventually agree that we don't need to kill him, we can just scare him off and make him leave the city. So we decide to start some rumors in the local tabloids that he is using performance enhancing spells and stuff like that. Ends up with him doing a concert under an anti-magic field in the city's largest stadium, our bard ends up getting into a battle of the bands with him and our guy lost. We also have another character who has started dating the bard we were supposed to kill and is now even more opposed to killing him. The bard we were sent to kill is now the biggest star in the city and we're publicly associated with him. Meanwhile, the mobster who paid us to kill him is getting antsy and starting to threaten us and now we have to deal with that

But I'm the crazy one for just saying we should have just killed the bard and collected the gold

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 18, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

You'd think a world with perfectly reliable resurrections would use them more often, for instance to reduce the cost of long sea voyages

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Doc Hawkins posted:

You'd think a world with perfectly reliable resurrections would use them more often, for instance to reduce the cost of long sea voyages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2lFeGA2-uc

Though a better example would be the Vlad Taltos series, where mobsters will murder you to send a warning

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 18, 2019

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

Like a fantasy version of Altered Carbon. But that would be more of a reincarnate than resurrection.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yawgmoth posted:

If I were to give this story a title it'd be "oh god it keeps happening". Our heroes:

-snip-

Next week, the party is going hunting for the other group of interest, a barbarian tribe that has been kidnapping the townsfolk and stealing their identities via magic. I'm expecting Len to call up another tsunami and lay waste to the town entirely, because roll20's RNG seems to pick a value on a given table and add +50 weight to it for laughs.

I believe we mentioned it here before, but the last game the option roll20 decided to focus on was "Wielder gains a random domain power". My Warforged Psion ended up with 15 domain powers by the end of the game. There were a few other honorable mentions, like "wielder turns into a random dragon" and "a flood of pudding happens".

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

The Tomb of Blood Everflowing (part II)

quote:

The heavy scent of blood taints the air as the short corridor opens into a large ledge at the top of a vast open pit. This natural chasm drops over one hundred feet to an underground lake of blood below. Countless skulls line the walls of the pit shaft, each of which drains a torrent of blood into the lake in frothing red coils. Off to the left a small corridor slopes down into the darkness.

As we head though this room with blood swirling around our boots, I accidently set of a magical rune, setting off some kind of sonic detonation, like a thunder clap, that staggers both of us and leaves us dazed and deaf for several moments.

Snakeeyes shrugs and shakes his head to clear the ringing in his head. He says, way too loudly, "Well if the waterfall of blood down the stairs didn't alert everyone in the cave below, that nonsense certainly did."

It was at that moment I realized that the weird shrug thing that Snakeeyes did wasn't so much of a shrug as a rolling of the shoulders, like a boxer before entering the ring. I was dripping with blood having lost my balance from the spell trap, but Snakeeyes maintained his calm poise. Unflappable.

We headed down the spiraling stairs.

To almost immediately run into a half dozen skeletons coming up the stairs towards us. Each of the skeletons clutched a scimitar in their right hands, and missing their left hand at the wrist and having the right eye socket fused shut.

I hefted my quarterstaff, but Snakeeyes moved forward to protect me, "Whoever is down there is boned."

I looked at him strangely but answered, "Those skeletons seem pretty calm. I wonder if anything will get under their skin?”

He smiles. “Maybe their hearts aren't in it.”

“Maybe these guys should take up a life of piracy." A pause. A beat. "Like a skeleton crew.”

Snakeeyes moves to engage them and his sword moves like an extension of his will. I fire a shock bolt into one, knocking it off the staircase, but Snakeeyes' positioning on the staircase prevents my rendering of assistance with my quarterstaff. Btu in the end he defeats the other skeletons with only a nick or two for his trouble.

The staircase ends at a small ledge overlooking a lake of gently rippling blood Far across the cavern, broken columns protrude from the lake. The sound of splashing blood falling from above echoes throughout this vast space. As we make our way around the lake, we are met with skeletons rising from the blood and several cultists commanding them and though we are sorely tested, we win through to a final chamber. Neither Snakeeyes nor I are without wounds and I rely on my quarterstaff, saving my arcane strength for Veltargo who surely must be behind all of this.

The vast chamber rises up to a great vaulted ceiling forty feet above the black marble floor. Two silver braziers flank a large pool of blood on the far side of the chamber, both emitting a thick red smoke. A black basalt statue stands in the center of the pool. Nearly twenty feet tall, the statue depicts a rotting corpse wearing fine robes, and IS m1ssing an eye and a hand. Each wound pours forth blood to fill the pool below. An ornate bookstand before the statue contains a single large tome, its pages open and on display.

"The book!" I cry and rush to collect it, but before I can A gaunt, blackened man in bloodstained robes of Boccob steps out from behind the statue, points a wand at me a cries "tiltawait!" and a bolt of energy, similar to my shock bolt, strikes my side, burning me and knocking me to the ground. I smell my own burning flesh and I swoon.

Snakeeyes charges Veltargo and the battle is on, a weary and wounded Snakeeyes against the steel breast plate and mace of the mad priest. I wake up to see the end come: a battered Veltargo, disarmed in front of a bruised and bloody Snakeeyes, just before his katana slashes an unprotected leg, severing arteries and dropping him.

I pull myself up onto my staff and hobble over to Snakeeyes who waves me off so I walk over to the book. Snakeeyes begins to plunder the corpses as I examine the book. It looks like it was caught in some kind of explosion, maybe the same blast that had colored Veltargo so. But it is in a language I do not understand.

Snakeeyes has finished looting corpses and comes over holding a melted cracked something.

"Is that the book?" he says.

"Yes, is that the key?"

"What's left of it. It doesn't look like it survived opening the lock. Can you read this?"

I rotate the book over so it faces him and he gives it a glance.

"Yes, it is written in the language of dragonkind. It is a book of undead. It looks to be a cookbook for the creation of soulless creatures."

Nevermind a book about creating undead for a moment. "You speak the language of dragonkind?"

He turns away without answering and continues going through the gear on the corpse of Veltargo. He finds a note that reads:

"Veltargo, remain here
and guard the temple.
We shall return as
soon as we gather
the necessary components
required by
the book. Soon, all of
the unholy secrets will
be within our grasp."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Agrikk posted:

I hefted my quarterstaff, but Snakeeyes moved forward to protect me, "Whoever is down there is boned."

I looked at him strangely but answered, "Those skeletons seem pretty calm. I wonder if anything will get under their skin?”

He smiles. “Maybe their hearts aren't in it.”

“Maybe these guys should take up a life of piracy." A pause. A beat. "Like a skeleton crew.”
:golfclap:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

There were more but these are the ones in my notes. When the group was about to head down the stairs I was aiming for dramatic tension but the pun fight had us laughing so bad we had to take a smoke break and leave the game for a bit.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
See wasn't so bad after all. Keep them coming.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
A friend got Betrayal Legacy for Christmas and we're just now able to start getting together weekly to start playing. We just had a game where my character, 95-year-old Sarah Christian Svensson, ended up being the strongest physical combatant.

(Chapter 2 spoilers, if anyone is still planning on playing)
Sarah Christian, the owner of the weird house on the hill, discovered two things: The devil had come to collect the household help and collect on their debts, and there was a horse blocking the front door despite the stables being right there. So she did what any sensible homeowner would do: Grab Pa's trusty old claw hammer and get the horse in the stable before she found the Devil's representative and explained that the hired help were still under contract to work for her.

Sarah Christian was halfway through the process of beating the Night Mare back to hell when the devil's representative, a boy (24, so still a boy) decided to try to stop her with a pitchfork. One claw hammer to the leg later and he limped off to go try to get everyone back to hell with his knees intact while Sarah Christian got that drat horse off her front lawn.

The whole thing ended with a stunned Night Mare fading back to Hell, the farmhand being told that if he wanted to leave to work for someone else he would have to talk to Sarah first (while she brandished her trusty claw hammer), and said hammer becoming a sacred object.
Oh, and then Sarah Christian went to bed because she is "an old frail lady and the rest of you shits better be out of my house before I wake up."

If anyone likes the story generator part of Betrayal at the House on the Hill, I would heartily recommend Betrayal Legacy.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

quote:

Player One: “I could use some healing.”

Player Two: “How many hit points do you have left?”

DM: “Your character has no concept of hit points.”

Player Two: “Fine... how is your character looking?”

Player One: “Both of his hit points are looking great!”

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
On a scale of 1 to 17, I’d say I’m at about a 3.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Idk about 5e but in older versions it's because in-fiction that's a really unreliable plan. Raising the dead means pulling someone out of the afterlife, and if its a good afterlife their soul is likely to tell you gently caress off.

And even past that you can raise a Princess, deliver her home only to have her tell the king, "Yo, these dicks 'rescued' me by slitting my throat and stuffing me in a barrel. Execute them."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

That, and I believe there's a scarcity of both materials and qualified casters.

I mean, there aren't a whole lot of clerics/druids/etc. who are powerful enough to cast Rez spells, and the material components are specific.
Sure, in a game, it's theoretically easy to buy up 5k golds worth of expertly crushed diamond, but taken "realistically", that is a shitload of diamond that you have to be able to find. Unless the city you're in has a thriving diamond mining operation, it's not likely you can just pop over to Jared's and start smashing wedding rings.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Also, for most of D&D's history being raised from the dead really sucks. Major negative effects, such as lost levels or permanent constitution loss, are basically a given. In 1e and 2e, there was even a % chance that you wouldn't survive being raised from the dead at all. And besides, if you have someone high enough level to cast Raise Dead then you have someone high enough level to cast Teleport. The odds of a Teleport spell killing you are very small if used properly, whereas a Raise Dead spell is guaranteed to cause you permanent damage and cost 5000 gp.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, people tend to handwave material requirements at the table because they didn't want to do book keeping ("how much bat guano do I have left?") or don't want to go through a quest, so people often forget that it isn't suppose to be easy to rezz people.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The casual attitude towards raising the dead might be a product of years of RPG video games, some D&D based, some not, that make dead just another condition that is countered with a specific spell. Given the rocket-tag nature of 5th edition, at least at low levels, I am kind of fine with this; an "easy come, easy go" mentality based on the fact that if a character can die easily, then he should be able to be resuscitated easily.

I'm out of the loop on tabletop game mechanics regarding bringing back the dead, especially in regard to 4th and 5th edition D&D as well as basically any other system after 3rd edition/Pathfinder. My memory is fuzzy, but I thought that D&D3 & 3.5's system of losing all experience towards the next level was strict but not excessively so. I don't know if there is any modern paradigm of mostly dead vs all dead à la The Princess Bride, but I'm of the opinion that resurrection should be fairly simple, cheap and have minimal consequences if a character dies due to lovely luck on the dice in a throwaway encounter, but should be more grave, possibly permanent in the case of dying by jumping into the throat of a red dragon who was about to toast a bunch of innocent people. I'm also on board with the idea of a resurrection of someone dead a very long time, probably someone famous who died without accomplishing some mission, being a long, expensive and involved quest that may even include having to find a way to convince some fallen hero to give up a peaceful afterlife.

To put it a shorter way, the cost of bringing back someone should be, in my opinion, proportional to the story significance of their death and their projected further influence on the world.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly it'd be easier if all the video game 'deaths' are labelled as getting KO'd - it's basically what it really is, still explains why you lose at a TPK, and will stop people from screeching "Why can't they throw a phoenix down on Aerith".

But yea, it doesn't help a lot of modules don't account for rez spells if it's level appropriate, or spells like 'speak with dead'.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kinda like the idea of not really being all that dead if you just fell off a wall or took one too many anonymous goblin arrows, but being oh my god seriously so fuckin dead you guys if Big Evil Plot Guy gets you.

Also explains why you need heroes, I guess.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Aftermath

quote:

As battered as Snakeeyes and I were, we decided we couldn’t risk waiting for whomever “we” was so we packed up the book, key, silver and whatever else we could carry that wasn’t nailed down and made the arduous climb up the spiral stairs, though the room of everflowing blood and finally outdoors to fresh air. We had a brief discussion about waiting around in stealth to see to stopped by the cairn but the area was too exposed and we were too few to risk it, so we fled the area as best we could before settling down to a cold meal and rocky beds for aching wounds.

Passing through the barren countryside was uneventful, though the air was clear enough that we were able to make out Victory Bridge at one point. According to legend, this bridge marked the northernmost point the invasion by the southern Oeridian Empire reached before being turned back during a mighty battle at the ford.

Returning to the Northwest Gate was uneventful, and it seemed strange that only a few days ago we were passing though this gate as penniless nomads while today we pass though loaded down with sacks of plunder.

We trudged down the Old South Road to the Red Axe Inn and asked Thadji for two of his nicer rooms.

“Been out ‘exploring’ have ye?” he asks Snakeeyes.

“Some.” As ebullient as ever.

“Is that orc booty?”

A shake of a head.

“Pity. Orcs are the scum of the earth and should you run across them I offer a bounty a nose.”

“A bounty an ear and I might be interested.”

“Bring me the ears and we’ll talk.”

We head up to our rooms to bathe and change into fresh clothes and have food brought up. Snakeeyes knocks and enters as I am browsing through the book. It is very old and very brittle and, unfortunately, written in a language I do not understand. We decide to return the key, or what’s left of it, to Theldrat first then return the book to the Great Library.

Payday

quote:

When he finds out the key has lost its powers, Theldrat is visibly upset but happy that it is no longer in the wrong hands. With the majority of his bigger business based on the key’s ability he is unable to reward us properly, with only a few silver pennies forthcoming, but he makes sure to offer his services in the future should we need him.

We have better success returning the tome to Greyhawk's Great Library. The librarians are disappointed that the book has been terribly damaged, but the fact that the book is now open intrigues them greatly. Altemaic the Calm is relieved.

“The symbolism of this book’s recovery is important. Thank you for this work,” he says as he passes over a purse of silver.

I ask him about the book.

“No one really knows about it,” he says as he carefully leafs though it. “It appears to be written in Thanatos, the magical language of the dead and the Underworld.” He pauses on a partially burnt page. “It appears to be a study of the various types of soulless and the nature of their existence.”

“Can you teach me this language?” I say, intrigued.

“You must join the Guild and show an aptitude and go though an apprenticeship, but yes I can teach you.”

“Let’s start now, then.”

Snakeeyes and I agree that I will remain here a week and he will sell our plunder and maintain two rooms at the Red Axe for us.

One week turns into two as I prove worthy of Guild membership - though once again I am met with confusion and bias as I try to explain the true nature of the relationship between Essence, Mentalism and Channeling as they emerge from a primal source. My discussion remains halting and fragmented since I cannot explain the origin or nature of this source. In the end, though, Altemaic takes me on as his apprentice and teaches me a list of spells that allow me to use my Talent to read and understand any language, if only temporarily. So now I have the ability to enhance my senses, manipulate objects from afar using telekinesis, cloak my body so as to make it invisible, and render others as if in a deep sleep.

I spend my free time “practicing” reading languages while visiting the book in the restricted books section, but I have been given a special dispensation to read this one book.

From the knowledge in this book I believe I can create various types of soulless, like the skeletons we fought in the Tomb of Blood Everflowing. I begin to form a plan. A plan of vengeance.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hell yeah. Payback time.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Just chiming in to say I'm enjoying these posts.

I should have something fun to share in a few weeks.

Back in October, my character in a VtM larp was challenged to a duel.
The duel is in April, the Spring Symbel.

Because my character refuses to give the challenger the validation of being taken seriously, I intend to show up blasting Hulk Hogan's entrance music and coming in in as similar a fashion as the Hulkster as I can.

I'm talking rippable shirt (with another shirt underneath for comedy purposes, and also because other people don't want to see me shirtless purposes), red/yellow pants (probably gonna have to buy some camo pants from the surplus store for that), a bandana that has Stigmania written on it, the works.

Ideally, my opponent will be in frenzy before the first chop.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A red and yellow feather boa would be key too.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

A red and yellow feather boa would be key too.

And the slotted sunglasses.

E: wait. Wasn’t the slotted sunglasses the Slim Jim guy?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Yes, and I can't believe you did not know the name of Randy "The Macho Man" Savage.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Yes, and I can't believe you did not know the name of Randy "The Macho Man" Savage.

Oh, I knew it. I just temporarily misplaced it. Also,

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

the_steve posted:

Because my character refuses to give the challenger the validation of being taken seriously, I intend to show up blasting Hulk Hogan's entrance music and coming in in as similar a fashion as the Hulkster as I can.

I'm talking rippable shirt (with another shirt underneath for comedy purposes, and also because other people don't want to see me shirtless purposes), red/yellow pants (probably gonna have to buy some camo pants from the surplus store for that), a bandana that has Stigmania written on it, the works.
Your mind's gonna be blown when your challenger shows up in full 1980s The Ultimate Warrior regalia.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yawgmoth posted:

Your mind's gonna be blown when your challenger shows up in full 1980s The Ultimate Warrior regalia.

That would be so completely amazing and I would love it and my character would actually think more highly of her if she did that, even if he'd never admit it.

But that is so wildly out of character for her that it'd never happen. She's very big on projecting this image of prim and proper and wanting everyone to treat her like an Elder even though she's only an Ancilla at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Yawgmoth posted:

Nah man, a stormtrooper helmet covered in pink glitter.