Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a huge Star Wars fan that cannot be more excited for Episode 8 I couldn't be less excited about the Solo movie and actively wish it didn't exist.
:same:

I loved TFA & Rogue One & I already pre-ordered my ticket for episode 8 opening night, but if Ron Howard wants me to be excited about his sloppy seconds Han Solo movie, he sure is doing a piss-poor job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had no idea until 2 weeks ago that the Han Solo prequel was even coming out so soon (April). I have very little interest as well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think part of it is the endless marketing. There's shelves and shelves of Star Wars poo poo now at every store in every department. Star Wars used to be a special treat but now it's just forced on you at all times. It's the LootBoxification of America.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

The biggest relief I've felt recently is realizing that I don't have to be a Star Wars fan anymore. Or an anything fan. If a movie looks good to me, I'll see it. If a movie doesn't look good to me, I won't. If a sequel to a movie I liked isn't good, oh well! There will be a different new movie that I do like coming along soon enough.

I think 1999 gave a lot of Star Wars fans cover to be fanatics but selective.

Not sure I can think of a prequel concept that was intriguing to me at all. I was super skeptical that the Hannibal tv show had anything to offer (which it did in spades).

A Han Solo movie that doesn't have to fit anywhere is about the best I could imagine. No Greedo peeking from around a pillar, no bumping into R2. Just a random space adventure, perhaps bookended by old Han telling it to young Kylo, interrupting to make him tell the story right.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think part of it is the endless marketing. There's shelves and shelves of Star Wars poo poo now at every store in every department. Star Wars used to be a special treat but now it's just forced on you at all times. It's the LootBoxification of America.

You really don't remember the ungodly marketing blitz in the lead up to Episode 1 than.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You really don't remember the ungodly marketing blitz in the lead up to Episode 1 than.

I do. That was after 15 years of relative drought, and after a year it had pulled back (IIRC, and this is not to imply it disappeared). Now...it's continuous.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I feel like the internet makes everything continuous now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember the big Episode 1 marketing push. And I remember the big marketing push for the OT special edition rereleases. I don't remember the actual announcement for Episode 1, however. Those two events just kinda bled together for me. 1999 was a very different time.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd pay a lot of money to see Lord & Miller's original version. Everything I've seen since Howard took over looks boring and uninspired.

What is there to see? Can you link some stuff? I haven't seen anything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember the big Episode 1 marketing push. And I remember the big marketing push for the OT special edition rereleases. I don't remember the actual announcement for Episode 1, however. Those two events just kinda bled together for me. 1999 was a very different time.
I guess they attached the trailer to Wing Commander and a lot of people walked out right after. Now there's a marketing gimmick that died.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I do. That was after 15 years of relative drought, and after a year it had pulled back (IIRC, and this is not to imply it disappeared). Now...it's continuous.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember the big Episode 1 marketing push. And I remember the big marketing push for the OT special edition rereleases.

Yeah 97 to 99 wasn't quite 15 years. Before the OT SE goldboxes, the biggest thing was either the redesigned trilogy pack (the one with the big Yoda face for like Empire) or the games on the SNES. Though point is correct that aside from that you weren't quite getting hit with lightsabers and R2D2 thermoses and wookie backpacks and other poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember it being as everywhere back then as it is now. However, there two years between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, and about 3 or so between Clones and Revenge of the Sith. I was prime kid to teen demographic during those years and I remember at least some cool down in between movies. And while it never completely died down after Revenge came out, Star Wars hype did cool down a ton, since it was understood that they were done making Star Wars movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ape Agitator posted:

A Han Solo movie that doesn't have to fit anywhere is about the best I could imagine. No Greedo peeking from around a pillar, no bumping into R2. Just a random space adventure, perhaps bookended by old Han telling it to young Kylo, interrupting to make him tell the story right.

I read The Stainless Steel Rat earlier this year and really enjoyed it. It's about a charming grifter conning his way through the galaxy who gets snatched up to work for a giant evil empire as a spy, and along the way gaining some morality while still retaining his true nature as a scoundrel. It's also a book that Lucas read before 1977, based on his handwritten pre-ANH notes. So I just accepted that as a pretty solid semi-canon Han Solo origin. There's a bunch more books in the series too, so if I ever want a sequel I can just dive into those.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bows1 posted:

What is there to see? Can you link some stuff? I haven't seen anything.

There isn't one specific thing to link to, but makingstarwars.com is a spoiler site that regularly posts and discusses leaks and set videos, etc. And then there's Ron Howard's Instagram, he usually posts one or two photos a week.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There isn't one specific thing to link to, but makingstarwars.com is a spoiler site that regularly posts and discusses leaks and set videos, etc. And then there's Ron Howard's Instagram, he usually posts one or two photos a week.

Oh ok never mind Im not going there. I thought you meant like official videos and photos and stuff. This makes more sense

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bows1 posted:

Oh ok never mind Im not going there. I thought you meant like official videos and photos and stuff. This makes more sense

Yeah, my take is based entirely on behind the scenes stuff that you'd want to avoid if you're not into spoilers. It hasn't reached an Episode 7 level of leaks, but we know a not-insignificant amount of the film's plot.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Snake Outta Compton trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytv-2Na65pc

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I've had it with these motherfuckin snakes in this motherfuckin compton

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...I'm sorry, what?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The best part of Rogue One was the art direction leaning into the original film's 70s-ness with all the costumes and makeup and technology. Obviously Solo needs to be American Graffiti in space and super 50s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

The best part of Rogue One was the art direction leaning into the original film's 70s-ness with all the costumes and makeup and technology. Obviously Solo needs to be American Graffiti in space and super 50s.

If I can say one positive thing about the film, it's that all the set photos and production design looks ludicrously 70s.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

feedmyleg posted:

I read The Stainless Steel Rat earlier this year...
That book has one of my favorite book openings, with the cop and the safe.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

crazy motherfucker named asp cube
in a gang called vipers with attitude

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The SOLO movie (why not just call it 'Han Solo'?) is 100% definitely going to be how he met Chewie and got the Falcon.

He'll win it off of Donald Glover's Calrissian in a card-game that will probably be available as a tie-in card game, or more likely, an app.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

I think that really was my favorite part of Rogue One, it really did feel like it had been filmed contemporarily with the original film.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ugly British men with sideburns really did the heavy lifting for that.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I once considered starting a blog that would post a photo of one background actor a day, in an attempt to determine who was the ugliest man in Star Wars: A New Hope

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's the "I don't like you either" guy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ALFbrot posted:

I once considered starting a blog that would post a photo of one background actor a day, in an attempt to determine who was the ugliest man in Star Wars: A New Hope

It's this guy...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's the "I don't like you either" guy

...unless you mean without makeup. Naturally ugly.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Lobok posted:

It's this guy...

...unless you mean without makeup. Naturally ugly.

Yeah, sorry. Just natural, terrible hair, unfortunate face British dudes hanging out in the back of Star Wars. The Death Star briefing room scene is a treasure trove of them, for instance.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You never see his face but David Prowse is pretty ugly

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ALFbrot posted:

Yeah, sorry. Just natural, terrible hair, unfortunate face British dudes hanging out in the back of Star Wars. The Death Star briefing room scene is a treasure trove of them, for instance.

In Jedi at least the winner for this that one guard in Jabba's palace that has a nice meltdown after the Rancor is killed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That guy is so great. Just in the middle of this hive of villains that guy really loved his pet monster and there are some alien dudes patting him on the back trying to comfort him

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I love it, was there ever EU stuff about him/did he have a name? I hope he wasn't on Jabba's barge when it blew up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"It's time for the Jedi... to end."
"But why?"
"Killed this cave beast thing once, long ago. I'm supposed to represent the light side of the Force! I should have figured out a non-lethal solution."

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Neo Rasa posted:

I love it, was there ever EU stuff about him/did he have a name? I hope he wasn't on Jabba's barge when it blew up.

He's a Star Wars character with more than two seconds of screentime. Of course he's got a name and an extensive backstory.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

more than two seconds of screentime

Not a requirement.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:same:

I loved TFA & Rogue One & I already pre-ordered my ticket for episode 8 opening night, but if Ron Howard wants me to be excited about his sloppy seconds Han Solo movie, he sure is doing a piss-poor job.

Same with the fondness for TFA and I really liked Rogue One. I am car crash fascinated with Solo I have to say.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC he started a restaurant

• Locked thread