Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Party Alarm posted:

If I do include his work, I'd have to put permissions on the mod, and I don't want that. I'd imagine anyone else that requires permissions would be the same.

Well, that makes sense.

Babe Magnet posted:

I intentionally leave a bunch of unused assets in my mods for the express purpose of letting people do whatever they want with my work. There's like 8 versions on the Mantizi tier 7 armor

And this is just awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ragequit posted:

How do you get work done with Sir Barkington in the office?

I'd just stare at that lazy idiot all day.

Is it really ok to put the dog box next to that power outlet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure the first amendment only applies to the government and/or public spaces in any case. A private business in a private forum can do whatever the gently caress they want.

People still use it as an argument for why they shouldn't be banned from MMOs and those people are idiots. GMs don't give two-shits about your irrelevant First Amendment rights on their privately-owned systems and you've got as much chance at winning the lottery as you do of convincing a GM that you breaking the rules is actually ok because :911: First Amendment :911:

OwlFancier posted:

You can't remove the troublemakers, not from the community in general, anyway, they'll just move onto another forum or reddit or something.

But you can certainly create a space which abides by the rules you set. I guess the decision comes down to whether the official forums are there to cater to the entire community, including the idiots, or whether they're there to enforce what the officially sanctioned section of the community should be.

Personally I'd stand on the side of enforcement but it's obviously up to whoever dictates policy.

From a business perspective how those other sites operate is irrelevant. Aside from the fact that Reddit's a shithole and impossible to moderate effectively as its the site that defends :pedophiles:, Chucklefish really only needs to concern itself with how the community acts on their forums because they don't have any authority or control over 3rd party sites and how they operate. On their own forum I'd personally advocate my "fist of an angry god" method of dealing with assholes.

President Ark posted:

You are never going to write a set of comprehensive rules that will stop people being shitlords. Even if you forbid literally all actions except posting one of three pre-written sentences, people will figure out how to be a dick with it.

This is why MMOs use very broad EULAs. If you're someone that needs to be dealt with a GM can use their discretion via said EULA to smack you down and if you get escalated and a supervisor/senior/manager/whatever agrees with the original GM you're out of luck regardless of any way you may hope to twist the wording to protect your actions. We use terms like "this list is not all inclusive" precisely because it lets us smack down shitlords who come back with "well I did X and X is not explicitly listed as being against the rules :smuggo:" and point them to those kinds of lines so they could reflect on it during their bans.

mollygos posted:

She does make it difficult. Right now she's being a puppyloaf right next to my chair and it's hard to stop looking at her and say "daawwww".

Far too many treats. Rosie is spoiled as gently caress and she doesn't even do any work. UPDATE WHEN, ROSIE?

That puppy. :kimchi:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Party Alarm posted:

If I do include his work, I'd have to put permissions on the mod, and I don't want that. I'd imagine anyone else that requires permissions would be the same.

Pretty much, not having the same kind of permissions as the stuff from the original mods kinda goes against the original owner's wishes, unless they specifically say you can.

I just prefer having mine all open for whatever, even if that means that some people just reuse parts and the like without even mentioning the origin. Still, I just take that as a compliment.

By the way, Tiy:
How do the ship-upgrades work, file wise?
Is it so that the dropship.structure file just has a list over the tiers available, and with the setup:

code:
Tier 1:
image : ship_tier1.png
image : walls_tier1.png
blockimage : shipblocks_tier1.png

Tier 2
image : ship_tier2.png
image : walls_tier2.png
blockimage : shipblocks_tier2.png

And so on-
Or did you guys do a different approach?

Other than that, thanks for keeping on working with the game and interacting with the community, despite themselves/ourselves. I wouldn't wish this kind of vitriol against anyone to be honest.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

Is it really okay to poo poo in every thread you happen to find something to troll about in?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babe Magnet posted:

I intentionally leave a bunch of unused assets in my mods for the express purpose of letting people do whatever they want with my work. There's like 8 versions on the Mantizi tier 7 armor

There's been an unimplemented armor in one of my mods for like 5 or 6 months and nobody noticed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dog kisser posted:

Quick gif of the buckets I'm working on - in order, the steel bucket (sampler), iron bucket, and wooden bucket.-

- Sampler mechanics - put it down, push the button, it sucks some liquid up then pops off. When you put the full sampler down and press the button, it drains the liquid and pops off.
- Buckets mechanics - put it down in liquid/just put it down anywhere and if liquid touches it later it fills up with whatever liquid. Interact with it to pick it up. Once full, putting it down tips it over and it pours the liquid everywhere. Interact with tipped-over bucket to pick it up. Also wooden buckets burn in acid or lava.

Also obviously the bucket liquid amount that it drops is waaaay too high - just want the mechanics down first!

Next up, a bigger durasteel container that can fill to (and then emit) different levels based on how much liquid it's absorbed.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind the buckets being able to handle a larger area than, well, a bucket. A pickaxe's 3x3 worth would be fine.

Basically I just don't want to move liquid one tile's worth or whatever at a time like Terraria (Not that I ever played that post meteor tier or made any buildings more complex than a Log Cabin).

But this is still awesome... I don't know why I think buckets are awesome, but there it is. Maybe it has to do with my "Ground level steel bunker entrance covered in tesla spikes" leading to my underground log cabin complex in my last significant Starbound playthrough could be upgraded with imported acid and lava trap doors instead of tesla spike trap doors someday?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Devour or Fire posted:

How do you expect the dog to recharge?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
It's not like modding e bushido even matters because in most cases the devs/publishers own the rights to whatever the modders produce

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Robot Randy posted:

It's not like modding e bushido even matters because in most cases the devs/publishers own the rights to whatever the modders produce

You should read the drama in the minecraft modding thread or the Kerbal Space Program thread. Long story short: Unless the game dev actively hunts down and punishes abusive modders, the modders generally act like they do and will cause huge drama bombs if anyone fucks with any part of their mod.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'm not interested in causing trouble for the good folks at chortlefish, and I'm enjoying sprite work so I have no problem using my own assets. I also really want to learn lua so I'm not planning on jacking code either, but that's more for my personal benefit.

Not gonna stop me from tearing apart other people's mods to see how they work!

According to Omnipotent Entity, ship upgrades are now properly implemented in most recent nightly. Pretty sure it's already out, but not certain. Should be able to check out how they structured it for yourself.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Party Alarm posted:

I'm not interested in causing trouble for the good folks at chortlefish, and I'm enjoying sprite work so I have no problem using my own assets. I also really want to learn lua so I'm not planning on jacking code either, but that's more for my personal benefit.

Not gonna stop me from tearing apart other people's mods to see how they work!

According to Omnipotent Entity, ship upgrades are now properly implemented in most recent nightly. Pretty sure it's already out, but not certain. Should be able to check out how they structured it for yourself.

Oh hey! You're right! :toot:

Iiiiinteresting, it seems that ships can have capabilities.
Like, they start with PlanetTravel, then later get SystemTravel.

e: Making them upgrade their fuel store the higher they tier up is also possible, and easy to do.

ALSO YES.
YES.
YESSS.
GODDAMN YES.

SHIPS CAN NOW SELF ILLUMINATE WITHOUT HAVING TO HAVE LAMPS EVERYWHERE.
Atleast it looks like that from the files.
There's a Unlit : True/False thingamajig, as well as the ability to have a separate image as a 'lit' overlay.

e: To clarify, it's not normal lighting, but rather that the ship's background image won't be shaded/darkened.

That's an amazing optimization for larger ships, if it works.
The main cause of lag on larger vessels has been the hundreds of lights needed, after all.

The base Dropship.structure file is still there, but there are additional .structures for changing the blockmap and ship image.

Also the Color : block map has been removed to a separate file, to make things easier / less cluttered.

The only thing I can't see / figure out from the files is what triggers the upgrading, the .structure files don't point at eachother, so there's something in the game itself that looks for higher-tier ships and applies them or whatever, but I guess I'll leave figuring that out to someone else.

Not entirely sure how this'll affect custom ships, though.
My game instantly crashed on loading one of my ships on a new character.

e: Oh, my nightly seems to crash even on characters without custom ships, so it's not exactly possible for me to test it out.

Could anyone that's able to run the nightly test out
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32629384/Xan%20Union%20Cargo%20Corvette%20-%20Ax.448%20-%20TEST%20FOR%20RAMPAGING%20KOALA%20NIGHTLY.zip
?
it's this:

ship if you're wondering how it looks like, probably not the same paintjob, though.

Just unpack it and drop the folder into starbound/mods , it installs to the Glitch by default.

I've rejiggered it to match the stock ships more, other than having multiple tiers.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 18, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh my God the AIs are in and that horse has got some titties. :sonia:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 26, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Eonwe posted:

Also people are super loving angry over it.

:laffo:

Jesus. Rabid Starbound fans are starting to look like World of Warcraft fans.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I sorta feel like Chucklefish could give every Early Access purchaser a free copy of the game to give to a friend and the community would flip their poo poo saying it devalues their investment.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Someone complained once about how much they were spending a week on rent/food/utilities and decided they could live on something stupid like less than £100 a week.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
According to the starbound community this is racist.

ftp://ftp.chucklefish.org/belair.gif

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Worst community in history, Fresh Prince is classic.

Edit: Maybe it's a bunch of bronies mad about the horse?

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 19, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

This got posted in the thread, it's beautiful

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

This got posted in the thread, it's beautiful

How does that fit in with Robots who think they're knights? Paper bags? Yeah, like that fits!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Pretend it's Vellum or Papyrus or something, then.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Eonwe posted:

Also people are super loving angry over it.

:laffo:

Time to break out that dusty old Banhammer.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Apparently Chucklefish adding something that someone doesn't like is a PERSONAL BETRAYAL.

Also because I don't like a thing I'm the majority and it's controversial!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

According to the starbound community this is racist.

ftp://ftp.chucklefish.org/belair.gif

It's okay horse lady, you can be a Prince if you want to.

Fake Edit: Aaaw, it seems to be gone. At least I got to see it once.

Real Edit: vvv The link just leads me to a "Index of ftp://ftp/chucklfish.org/belair.gif' and "Up to higher level directory". which leads to rosie pic that works for me, but belair dont.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 19, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Section Z posted:

It's okay horse lady, you can be a Prince if you want to.

Fake Edit: Aaaw, it seems to be gone. At least I got to see it once.

It's still there.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Are these weather effects new? I loaded up nightly and went to the surface, and rain was making ponds overflow into streams and waterfalls, and hail was damaging anything it hit, and it was awesome.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Quit gettin mad at video games

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Now Chucklefish are supporting Sharia law!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I am dying here. This is hilarious.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/glitch-ship-ai-feedback.80652/

Please vote in this goddamn thread so Chucklefish knows we love the horse

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It is very tempting to post burkahorse in that thread but I will not, for I am a man of taste and restraint.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Party Alarm posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/glitch-ship-ai-feedback.80652/

Please vote in this goddamn thread so Chucklefish knows we love the horse

God help me, I dove right into this discussion. I know there's no way I can possibly make these people's opinions less terrible, but I can't help it. :negative:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's a lot of projecting going on in that thread and it is fantastic.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Just nuke the forums and start over with new, stricter, written in stone rules. Seriously.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
SA years ago did that blood purge where for a while even minor offenses were given bans and the forums got way better for a while.

We aught to do that again sometime.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think anyone's breaking the rules yet, though.

In the new thread, that is. I'm not going into the rest of the forums because come on.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Don't remove Horse-tits even if I find it creepy.

People will mod in alternate AI's and then everyone can shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

While that is very true, designing features around being modded out or changed by a third party is fuckin' stupid.

• Locked thread