Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Everyone already did that, you are too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

A 25 mile+ one-way commute is poo poo regardless of where you are. The only way that's acceptable is if you're taking a train doing it. I wouldn't blame Denver for that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

25 mile commute is fine if it's a well maintained rural highway so your commute is actually only 30 minutes each way.

Not many tech jobs with commutes like that though.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yep, lol at commuting through downtown Denver.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I once had a 65 mile commute. I taught at a community college for a few summers. The gas cost about 1/3rd of my paycheck, the rest going to rent. Don't do it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My first job here in Michigan was a 40 mile commute. It was almost all I-96 so not too bad at first. The very first winter I slid on ice and damaged my car by hitting a curb. I got a loaner Fiat 500 from the shop. The next day my trip home lasted 5 hrs, due to a snowstorm and that Italian tiny-wheeled go-cart piece of dreck. I switched jobs the following spring.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I知 26mi one way in east side Seattle. If I have to return to 5 day commute I値l quit.

Jokes on me, work is setting up a satellite office to lower density at the main office 13 mi one way commute from me

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

13 mi is still awful

unless that is minutes not miles, then it is mediocre

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Hughlander posted:

I知 26mi one way in east side Seattle. If I have to return to 5 day commute I値l quit.

Same. People keep asking at all hands if we're staying remote forever and the answer is "no". Disconcerting because we're a non-essential business in NYC and taking the subway anytime soon seems really dumb.

I'm looking for remote roles but Scala seems to be less popular on the remote side, at least right now. Alternatively (ideally) I can stop writing Scala.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Same. People keep asking at all hands if we're staying remote forever and the answer is "no". Disconcerting because we're a non-essential business in NYC and taking the subway anytime soon seems really dumb.

I'm looking for remote roles but Scala seems to be less popular on the remote side, at least right now. Alternatively (ideally) I can stop writing Scala.

Oh hey, I haven't seen you posting in a while. Come back from a break or have we just been in different threads?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

prisoner of waffles posted:

Oh hey, I haven't seen you posting in a while. Come back from a break or have we just been in different threads?

I cut down my posting a lot when I started my current job (which was 2 years ago almost!) and replaced a lot of it with Discord for the most part... lots of SA Code but also some other SA-djacent Discords. That said, before Corona I did start looking for a new job and could definitely rant here about interviews again!

My current role isn't too bad, I'm just slightly exhausted from being at a place that is so "10x'd" as someone in the Discord put it. I've posted about it in this very thread I think, but by this I mean everything is abstracted away from most developers. Build processes and resource management via Terraform to AWS client libraries, everything is so wrapped and re-wrapped by internal libraries for very little purpose that it feels difficult to build tangible skills beyond knowing how to follow detailed step by step guides for replacing micro-services built in the "old world" with the new method, which was apparently architected by a singular engineer who was kind of a jerk if the lore is to be believed.

It may very well be time for me to step away from Scala, it seems to bring some really insufferable attitudes with it.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FWIW Scala strikes me as something that was really trendy around 2013-2015 or so and then largely died out with Java 1.8.

I'm sure there's still places hiring for it but that's probably because their codebase happened to originate during that trendy period

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
With 6 years experience, should I try to keep my resume at one page, or does it not matter?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Doghouse posted:

With 6 years experience, should I try to keep my resume at one page, or does it not matter?

I have a few more than that and have two pages. No issues getting call backs/etc.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I cut down my posting a lot when I started my current job (which was 2 years ago almost!) and replaced a lot of it with Discord for the most part... lots of SA Code but also some other SA-djacent Discords. That said, before Corona I did start looking for a new job and could definitely rant here about interviews again!

My current role isn't too bad, I'm just slightly exhausted from being at a place that is so "10x'd" as someone in the Discord put it. I've posted about it in this very thread I think, but by this I mean everything is abstracted away from most developers. Build processes and resource management via Terraform to AWS client libraries, everything is so wrapped and re-wrapped by internal libraries for very little purpose that it feels difficult to build tangible skills beyond knowing how to follow detailed step by step guides for replacing micro-services built in the "old world" with the new method, which was apparently architected by a singular engineer who was kind of a jerk if the lore is to be believed.

It may very well be time for me to step away from Scala, it seems to bring some really insufferable attitudes with it.

What is the SA code discord?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Yeah the head of our office posted some stuff about going in 50% capacity soon because Colorado's opening up. Everyone on the team has since messaged me asking me to confront him about it. Our office is purely internal IT for a corporation.

We're 6 states away from the rest of the company, we literally only have an office to see our direct co-workers. Really hard to see a point in his long standing argument that people don't get work done remotely after the last 2 months of... getting work done remotely.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

My job is doing a round of layoffs because of coronavirus and I got the short straw. I'm worried that I'm hosed because I'm already 30 and that was my first job out of college. Fortunately I have enough savings to weather a few months.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

SardonicTyrant posted:

My job is doing a round of layoffs because of coronavirus and I got the short straw. I'm worried that I'm hosed because I'm already 30 and that was my first job out of college. Fortunately I have enough savings to weather a few months.

If you've been working in software development and haven't changed jobs since college, this is probably a blessing in disguise regardless of the state of the economy.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ralith posted:

If you've been working in software development and haven't changed jobs since college, this is probably a blessing in disguise regardless of the state of the economy.
I should have explained I finished college three years ago. I started late.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That sucks dude, I'm sorry. On the bright side, 3 years of experience should hopefully be enough to get you out of the entry-level morass that is junior dev hiring. You've got a resume with real professional experience, unlike the throngs of new grads, boot campers, and other career transition folks (not to discourage any of that). The hardest part is breaking in, and you've already done that.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Guinness posted:

That sucks dude, I'm sorry. On the bright side, 3 years of experience should hopefully be enough to get you out of the entry-level morass that is junior dev hiring. You've got a resume with real professional experience, unlike the throngs of new grads, boot campers, and other career transition folks (not to discourage any of that). The hardest part is breaking in, and you've already done that.

I've found the jump from mid-level -> senior to be *way* harder. Interviews are a hellish landscape at this point and I've been rejected from 2 jobs this cycle because basically 1 interviewer said "No".

I still get plenty of whiteboard pedantry, but now it has the system design cycle which I find easier to handle but scrutinized more highly. YMMV, but my experiences for Senior roles have been filled with weird gate keeping.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sab669 posted:

Traffic is that bad around Denver? gently caress. I was looking at relocating to Denver/Boulder.

My company is in Boulder, and yeah. Everyone is moving to Colorado. Real estate in Boulder doesn't sell quite as fast as it does in Austin, but it's also 2-4x more expensive.

Full time remote, though, going on 10 years! I can work from anywhere, you see?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Yeah, I don't think there's any amount of money you could pay me to take the NYC subway right now. I feel like I'm contracting a dozen diseases every time I ride it even when there's not an ongoing pandemic.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

RC Cola posted:

What is the SA code discord?

Was just about to ask this. I've wound up with more and more discord channels through the years, but that seems to be how online communities are going. Combos of reddit and discord

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Here's an invite link. Unfortunately expires in one day, I guess because I don't have any special roles on the server.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
If anyone wants a link after it's expired feel free to DM me and I'll get back to you pretty quickly.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
TBH if you're a goon and have the internet, it was relatively straightforward to find the server and the instructions to join without needing an invite link.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Thoughts on master's in CS? Especially cheap online ones?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I mean, if a masters will help your resume, this is that. Nobody gets a masters because they want two more years of undergrad and maybe to write a thesis, they get it because it's part of a phd or they need to boost their resume. An online masters is this fact put in the forefront and cranked to 11.

I'm not really certain when or where it'd actually be beneficial to have a masters in CS (government work for an automatic pay grade bump?) but if it would be for you, nobody's gonna throw significant shade at the better online programs eg georgia tech. I imagine that the only place you'd see significant bias would be admission committees for phd programs, which is a pretty narrow problem case. Also, there's a pandemic on so basically all academia is online now afaik so that probably helps the optics too 🤷‍♀️

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

gbut posted:

My first job here in Michigan was a 40 mile commute. It was almost all I-96 so not too bad at first. The very first winter I slid on ice and damaged my car by hitting a curb. I got a loaner Fiat 500 from the shop. The next day my trip home lasted 5 hrs, due to a snowstorm and that Italian tiny-wheeled go-cart piece of dreck. I switched jobs the following spring.

This is basically my commute exactly. I-96 from north of Ann Arbor into Detroit.

If my company doesn稚 go majority WFH after this I知 looking for full remote options. I知 not currently in development but Middle management in field ops, so this may be a tall order on a longer plan but enjoying this lifestyle SO much more. May be the straw to finally get me into development professionally like I have been wanting to do for a decade.

Good news is, our CEO is saying that they used to not think wfh could work because people wouldn稚 work and we are special (Electric utility) but since the pandemic started we turned that on its head and showed we can be more productive. So the senior leaders are asking the question why before when.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I think the enthusiasm around work from home right now is probably going to wane. It's not pleasant for many of us to work from home (especially given current conditions), and I know lots of people chafing against it. so the idea that it's The Future is probably ill-founded. Some people might be better suited to remote work but all the predictions about the end of offices are going to be hilarious to look back on in a year or two. I have outright refused to take permanent remote jobs, I'm not working from home forever, and if that's the way the industry ends up going (I am skeptical, to say the least) then I'll leave the drat industry. It's all a scam too, it's about cutting their costs and further encroaching on work/life balance, not about anything like quality of life.

If I somehow found myself in a remote job I'd demand they pay for a small coworking space in Manhattan before I took it, I do not like sharing my work space with my living space (and the nice amenities of Manhattan vs my neighborhood + the accessibility of things after work is a huge selling point for me -- I wouldn't live in NYC if I didn't partake in all the things life here has to offer, after all).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For additional context. I'm approaching being an old (40) and have been sprinting hard with my career with long commutes for almost 20 years. I have a nice home (with dedicated work space) and my kids are at an age where they aren't in the way. I'm really enjoying this extra time and schedule to focus on y own hobbies, healthy habits, and quality time with the family and friends that I never thought possible before.

It doesn't feel like a fad to me but a damned realization of what I was doing to myself before.

I agree with your assessment at the macro level though, but personally that doesn't jive with me.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I'm not the biggest fan of WFH myself, but no, it's not a scam. It has pros and cons like anything else, lots of people prefer it, others don't. I do hope there is a reasonable balance where people who want it can get it, but those of us who don't aren't forced into it permanently.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm in my mid-30s and work-life balance is one of the most valuable things to me, and it might just be my current employer being poo poo but most people I know work more now than they did in an office.

rujasu posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of WFH myself, but no, it's not a scam. It has pros and cons like anything else, lots of people prefer it, others don't. I do hope there is a reasonable balance where people who want it can get it, but those of us who don't aren't forced into it permanently.
I mean the desire to move to permanent WFH for everyone.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Anecdotally, I'm seeing WFH being a much more common part of software dev jobs going forward. Some companies will revert to their old ways of doing business, but a not-insignificant number will realize that there are huge benefits, and that their teams have already adapted to it during the COVID19 lockdown. This is especially true for companies running out of places with ridiculous office space lease prices. If they can downsize offices or eliminate physical offices entirely, that's more money they can spend on employee salaries. Or CEO bonuses, whatever.

I've already been working from home for 9 years so my life has continued pretty much exactly the same as before, except the entire company got a 20% paycut for 2 months.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Maximo Roboto posted:

Thoughts on master's in CS? Especially cheap online ones?

In general it's a mistake to do a graduate degree without a very specific reason. So, why are you thinking about a master's in CS?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

and further encroaching on work/life balance, not about anything like quality of life.

i respect your opinion, but i feel like this is the opposite for me - if anything, my work/life balance was massively improved due to not having to endure 3h of commute a day and having a total of 1h of free time for hobbies/relaxation

i also hated how the office was noisy and had loving floodlights that reflected on my (white) desk so i was constantly blinded all day

i have a home office and that's enough for not sharing my living space with my work space.

only thing i really do miss since becoming full time remote ~2y ago is banter with friends.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Inacio posted:

i respect your opinion, but i feel like this is the opposite for me - if anything, my work/life balance was massively improved due to not having to endure 3h of commute a day and having a total of 1h of free time for hobbies/relaxation

i also hated how the office was noisy and had loving floodlights that reflected on my (white) desk so i was constantly blinded all day

i have a home office and that's enough for not sharing my living space with my work space.

only thing i really do miss since becoming full time remote ~2y ago is banter with friends.

Yeah, work/life balance only becomes a problem if you let it become a problem or if you work in a toxic culture that was going to make it a problem regardless of your physical location while working.

If anything, in my experience, WFH improves work/life balance because you don't need to be tethered to your workplace at all times for 8 or 9 or more hours a day. Sometimes I stop working at 2 pm to do things I want or need to do that aren't work, and finish my work up in the evening. It's a discipline thing, just like anything else. I'm sure it took most of us some time to develop the discipline to wake up early to get ready and be at work on time. It takes discipline to choose when to stop working or finish some stuff up because you slacked off during the business day.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
with regard to Master's degrees - at least at my college, it was a "last resort" for those who couldn't get a job directly after a bachelor's, or couldn't get one they wanted.

not sure if that's true about other schools but it has made me question any sort of value to the degree, and seriously question those who get them directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, i usually take it as strong negative signal for peeps who have only cs masters