Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hopefully this helps maintain the lack of bombing at Rabaul! Also how -many- planes do the Allies have at Port Moresby!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm blowing everything up at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td4VEGiIQmk

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Japanese naval commanders lament that their turrets only traverse so far, vertically, and that those cowardly gaijin in their strato-bombers remain, for now, out of reach

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
More proof that the battleship is the epitome of modern warfare!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The Japanese secret wonder weapon will be dredging out all the sunken shipping of the allies and using it to create a networked bridge system strapped with guns

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’m the american commander who againpit his planes wingtip to wingtip for the 15th time.

Surely sabotage is our greatest danger!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

wiegieman posted:

This timeline will have the most warped naval doctrine ever. Jeez.

i think you mean raddest

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I’m the american commander who againpit his planes wingtip to wingtip for the 15th time.

Surely sabotage is our greatest danger!

The Japanese do keep sneaking explosives onto parked planes on the runway.

Via 460mm cannons.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Night10194 posted:

The Japanese do keep sneaking explosives onto parked planes on the runway.

Via 460mm cannons.

If saboteurs can destroy your base from several nautical miles away, do you truly have a good enough counter-espionage program in place?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

44 destroyed on field :getin:

There's a whole genre of jokes in the vein of "What's the best way to gain air superiority - Park one of your tanks on the enemy's runway!"

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
"Let's build our airfield on range of their naval guns" -USMC doctrine

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, looking at the list of airfield hits... what can and F-5E actually do in this game? I don't remember Grey or any of the manual explainers ever mentioning recon missions.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ardeem posted:

So, looking at the list of airfield hits... what can and F-5E actually do in this game? I don't remember Grey or any of the manual explainers ever mentioning recon missions.

Recon missions give you intel on the target hex. You get estimated numbers for troops, planes (divided between fighters, bombers, and auxiliary), and ships in the port. It also shows damage to facilities. You also get a number, usually out of 10, for how good your intel on the hex is. This gives you an idea whether the numbers are reasonably accurate or if they might be heavily influenced by fog of war.

Grey never really mentions photo recon but it’s pretty important stuff. Good photo recon can make or break an operation and it factors heavily into my planning. Also, troops supposedly fight better if you have high intel on a hex.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ardeem posted:

oh my sweet summer child

you set all your loving recon planes in simple but annoying to set up daily search arcs from each airbase and then get a billion reports back on what each one saw

it is extraordinarily tedious and unnecessary

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ardeem posted:

Recon missions occur, kind of randomly. Each "successful" recon mission has a chance of revealing information about that location. The more recon missions you run over the same target, the more things you know about the location.

For instance, you may send one plane to recon an airfield and you'll see some ? x B-24 Liberator

Send more planes and you might find other planes, or troops, or boats.

If you don't keep up the recon flights, the information will "decay"

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh my sweet summer child

you set all your loving recon planes in simple but annoying to set up daily search arcs from each airbase and then get a billion reports back on what each one saw

it is extraordinarily tedious and unnecessary

Nah this is naval search, which is different from recon. Naval search has arcs and produces a ton of reports. Recon has target hexes and is much rarer than naval search. Naval search is happening all the time everywhere, while recon is occurring only in a few locations.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Ardeem posted:

Recon missions take photographs of hexes, which is useful for improving detection levels on ground, air, and naval units anchored in the hex. They're really useful prior to planning an invasion to tell how many troops are in the hex, since it's impossible to tell otherwise and you don't want to commit a month prepping 5 marine regiments to take an island that only has a battalion of defenders. They can also tell you which ports the AI are using so you can coordinate carrier raids for port strikes; there are a lot of "hidden" ships like submarines and Auxilliary Tenders that aren't targeted by regular naval strike missions.

The F-5 and F-4 are kind of crappy in game, since you eventually start gettting PB4Y-1Ps which have a 31 hex range and don't take up valuable airfield space near the front. However, you get a ton of them per squadron, so if you just leave the recon mission to commander's discretion they'll slowly hit every enemy base in range and give you temporary detection levels on anything they have there.

I believe recon levels on a hex also increases the accuracy of strategic bombing in that hex, although this is kind of a moot point since most strategic bombers in the game already carry their own cameras, and there's only one kind of camera modeled in game.

The last thing you can do with recon planes is train them for naval search. Unlike PBY catalinas or level bombers, they can't attack targets on search since they have no weapons, but their vastly increased range usually makes up for this. the PB4Y-1Ps that you get starting in early 1943 are excellent in this role since the search arcs they can cover are massive and they're not likely to be intercepted since they're too fast.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What do the Japanese get in terms of photo recon? I’ve only played the Allies, who start off with pretty scarce recon resources but of course eventually get more than you can reasonably use. I would guess Japan is worse off in both quality and quantity?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Good question. Dinahs feel like they’re everywhere, but may just have great range.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bold Robot posted:

What do the Japanese get in terms of photo recon? I’ve only played the Allies, who start off with pretty scarce recon resources but of course eventually get more than you can reasonably use. I would guess Japan is worse off in both quality and quantity?

Dinahs (Ki-46), a few floatplanes, the C6N, the flying boats

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Nah this is naval search, which is different from recon. Naval search has arcs and produces a ton of reports. Recon has target hexes and is much rarer than naval search. Naval search is happening all the time everywhere, while recon is occurring only in a few locations.

thanks, i thought i might have gotten confused

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

wiegieman posted:

This timeline will have the most warped naval doctrine ever. Jeez.

Although Grey is having absurd success because the AI refuses to react to it properly, sallying big gun ships to (attempt to) bombard airfields is like the least ahistorical thing in the LP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheDemon posted:

Although Grey is having absurd success because the AI refuses to react to it properly, sallying big gun ships to (attempt to) bombard airfields is like the least ahistorical thing in the LP.

yeah it's important to note that the Japanese were able to do this about ONCE to Henderson Field in Guadalcanal, and the response was to put up carriers when they were available, and surface action groups to head off any further intrusions, and putting in more planes into the Field, all to sink the Japanese TFs before they got close again

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I counter invade Rota. These troops are in strategic mode, as this was supposed to be a reinforcement group, not and invasion one, but I think I can make it work.

They have had troops here for weeks who have not attacked.

They can't have landed to many troops!

They have landed a single detachment of the 1st Marine Division. Morons.

That was a very focused day. The only thing that was not the regular bombing runs were the invasions.

Apparently they hit one of my subs in the patrol phase.

Looking at Chunking, all my troops there are finally back at full strength. So I need to give the attack another go!
This is going to be bloody.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

by now it's a U-Bootes

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Grey Hunter posted:

Looking at Chunking, all my troops there are finally back at full strength. So I need to give the attack another go!
This is going to be bloody.

:unsmigghh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It had better be a Shock Attack at Chungking.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
Goons who know the arcane magic behind WITP: have the things that made our last attack into Chongqing so bloody actually been reduced?

From reading this thread I've gotten the sense that the land combat system is unpredictable at best, but do the fires/industry hits/disruption? from bombing mean Grey is going to have an easier time now?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
They should be disrupted and low on supplies, if not than this will never work and I'll Bugger off and invade india likea proper English chap.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

tunapirate posted:

From reading this thread I've gotten the sense that the land combat system is unpredictable at best, but do the fires/industry hits/disruption? from bombing mean Grey is going to have an easier time now?

I'm not sure at this point even the people who made the game would be able to tell you that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tunapirate posted:

Goons who know the arcane magic behind WITP: have the things that made our last attack into Chongqing so bloody actually been reduced?

Heavy Industry hits, Manpower hits, Light Industry hits, Fires, Airbase hits and Runway hits do not have any direct impact on the combat that's to come.

What Light Industry hits do, is prevent those things from producing supplies.

Airbase supply hits also have an effect in that they reduce the amount of supplies in the hex.

The idea is between the inability to produce supplies, and direct reductions of supply points, the enemies should run out of supplies, which causes a combat penalty.

Disruption also causes combat penalties, but that's something that's a product of Grey's artillery bombardment, not of the Strategic Bombing missions.

Ground attack missions could disrupt and kill troops, but that's not what Grey is using/doing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Time travel is fun!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Is it likely that the Chinese troops have just been generating a mountain of supply this whole time that will not run out even if it is hardly being replenished?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Flavius Aetass posted:

Is it likely that the Chinese troops have just been generating a mountain of supply this whole time that will not run out even if it is hardly being replenished?

Nope, because you need industry to create supplies, and supplies are used to repair, or just to maintain troops. At this stage, the Chinese forces in Chungking are in a slow decline that, at some point, may stabilize, but theoretically won't happen until long after Grey has had the opportunity to completely clear out the hex.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Time travel is fun!

Ah the old wibbly wobbly runway shelling ... thing.

On topic: Yeah theoretically do enough industry damage and even self supplying hexes won’t.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

I was just running through my PT boat commanders trying to replace the low performers and found this. Apparently the devs aren't totally devoid of humor.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

idgi

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Quinton McHale is the (fictional) character Ernest Borgnine plays on the 60s TV sitcom McHale's Navy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Quinton McHale is the (fictional) character Ernest Borgnine plays on the 60s TV sitcom McHale's Navy.

Oh. I'm sure literally everyone looked at the guy you had selected in green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Leperflesh posted:

Oh. I'm sure literally everyone looked at the guy you had selected in green.

Are you telling me the developers weren't tipping their hats to the preeminent manufacturer of licensed action figures of the 1970s and 80s?