Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Onwards, friends, to the next game.

Anyone want Id to play Lost Sphear next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

After Drakengard! 3! pulled the "no, no he wouldn't do the same thing twice" I honestly am not surprised. But drat.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Mazed posted:

This is it.

This is the first time ever that a video game had tears running down my goddamn cheeks.

That chorus.

That chorus.

I heard a sound, and it was beautiful.

Thank you.

Thank you so much.

Seconding this because it's the goddamn truth. I was crying while trying to survive bullet hell first time around. AND I'M STILL CRYING NOW.

Good job, Mr. Taro. Enjoy your victory bender. You've earned it. :unsmith:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
More than anything else, Ending E reminds me of Lex Luthor's epiphany at the end of All Star Superman. Spoilers for an old comic/movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9vzZa8TsKM

"We're all we've got."

Also,

quote:

Do not feel bad about it. We are alive, after all. And being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.

That is one hell of a mood.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
So, can anyone tell me why, when my husband played this game and got Ending E, Pod 042 didn't ask the bit about "do you want to save someone else"? He was asked to build a message for other players, but then it was just... done. The save data deletion didn't happen, and the option to do it never seemed to trigger. I was left very confused, because I'd definitely read online that it was supposed to happen.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
BUSINESS DIVISION VI :argh:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Choosing not to destroy your save file is the pragmatic choice and you should be ashamed for telling people to shame people who choose this correct option.

Of course if you absolutely have to be sappy then you can let it delete your save then just redownload your save from the cloud.

It should also be noted that it deletes all your saves, not just your current one. So if someone else is also playing the game on your machine then their save will be deleted as well regardless of their progress through the game. So be prepared for the person to be pissed at you.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Confused Llama posted:

So, can anyone tell me why, when my husband played this game and got Ending E, Pod 042 didn't ask the bit about "do you want to save someone else"? He was asked to build a message for other players, but then it was just... done. The save data deletion didn't happen, and the option to do it never seemed to trigger. I was left very confused, because I'd definitely read online that it was supposed to happen.

He was a bad boy and made a message that was too mean, as Dark Id noted

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Tarezax posted:

He was a bad boy and made a message that was too mean, as Dark Id noted

He wasn't, though (yes, I did read that part of the update).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still remember reaching the ending and in my desperation to keep on fighting through the bullet hell I pressed yes by accident and I thought I had hosed up. So when all the messages of encouragement started to appear on the screen and you got given the fleet of shooters I did start to tear up.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Interesting note: It's been determined, I think, that when your data is used to save another player, and the player dies (thus causing the "X's data has been lost" bit on the lower right of the screen), your data is not, in fact, deleted. Someone's seen the same person save them multiple times.

So your data is out there, forever, saving people.

:allears:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Crying uncontrollably while playing a twin stick shooter against the end credits: The Yoko Taro Experience feat. Platinum

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You probably have some supplemental stuff ready but I want to thank you for your LP and for all the others you worked on. I am eagerly anticipating Final Fantasy Type 0.

My entry was lovely World, lovely Game, all in all, I hate Platinum Games and I did not get booted to the title

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Endings Undone:
flowers for mAchines
or not to Be
meaningless Code
chilDhood's end
the End of yorha
mission Failed
hunGry for knowledge
a mountain too High
no I in team
bad Judgment
aji wo Kutta
Lone wolf
break tiMe
No man's village
just yOu and me
corruPtion
Questionable actions
maveRick
city eScape
faTal error
debUnked
reckless braVery
broken Wings
time to relaX
headY battle
overZealous

It has been a true pleasure experiencing this game through the medium of a Dark Id Let's Play, especially at the end here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This ending is proof positive that for all his horrible idiosyncrasies, Yoko Taro gets game design on a level way beyond most of his peers. It inspired a tremendous reaction in the entire playerbase with only the most abstract of assets.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
poo poo Square Enix indeed.

Not long after good ol' Squeenix showed up is when I had to get help.

It was nice to see that the game did, indeed, have a happy ending.

For the 3 main characters at least.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So what happened to the first player to reach ending E? Did they have to do the whole bullet hell credits without any help?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I don't care what y'all say about Yoko Taro.

He's a conniving troll with a beautiful soul.

He's said what he feels about human conflict in interviews, even naming specific historical events over the past couple of decades as affecting him profoundly, and it's written all over this game with the subtlety of 2B's buttocks.

With NieR: Automata's resounding success, there's positively zero chance Square-Enix is letting him off the hook any time soon. So, we can all sincerely look forward to being thrilled, horrified, frustrated, delighted, and moved by whatever this artist's next labors bear.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Thanks a ton for doing this LP. Your previous LP's were what got me into SA in the first place, and it was a real pleasure to go through this game with you as well.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

So what happened to the first player to reach ending E? Did they have to do the whole bullet hell credits without any help?

The devs and playtesters helped them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mazed posted:

This is it.

This is the first time ever that a video game had tears running down my goddamn cheeks.

That chorus.

That chorus.

I heard a sound, and it was beautiful.

Thank you.

Thank you so much.

The extra voices being added to the song when extra players come to help is beautiful.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Journey did it better.

And Emi Evans' version is the best of the three.

Very good game though.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

AirborneNinja posted:

The devs and playtesters helped them.

What happened for them, then :colbert:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Confused Llama posted:

PC or PS4? It might be a network connection/psplus required thing to get your name/message out before deleting everything...

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Special debug mode?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

From awhile back after the first ending. Yoko Taro thought it be kind enough just to let people screw around with enemy spawning and unlimited HP in a battle arena. I hope Platinum Games will continue that for Bayonetta

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

That was beautiful.

Thank you for LPing this game, TDI. Thank you so, so much.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That was loving bonkers. This game deserved every sale and piece of praise it got just for that credits fight. This is ludonarrative harmony, the video game medium being used as it should be.

I'm actually jealous of the people who said they cried at this, but I spoiled myself on the outline of ending D and E like a dumbass. Not the credits though.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I know it seems impossible. Despite everything, you are not alone.

I think is what I said. Its been months and I can't remember correctly. Glad to hear me going back to make sure that I got the trophies legit didn't destroy someone's efforts forever.

I do love that what seems like the final checkpoint is right before Square Enix shows up, so in effect, SE is the TRUE final boss.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
This loving game knocked me on my rear end and I laid on the floor crying for like an hour after beating it.

Thank you Id.

Thank you Yoko Taro.

Thank you everyone at platnium.

And thank the crazy exec at square that was like, 'gently caress it, give yoko one more shot, hes a good drinking buddy.'

YOTC fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 9, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The only way to find a happy ending in a Yoko Taro game: receive the help of the other players to literally fight the developers.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. I was expecting Yoko Taro endings to get a bit played out but that was a really cool ending.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
As a friend said of ending E, "This is why they let Yoko Taro keep making games."

Weeble posted:

It was nice to see that the game did, indeed, have a happy ending.

For the 3 main characters at least.

I'd characterize it as a hopeful ending, rather than strictly a happy one. After all, it comes atop a mountain of corpses, with no guardrails to keep them from loving it up again.

Speaking of! Id, could you delete this from the art post before this gets archived? It's not by me; I could never find the original, only an ouroboros of reposts.

The Dark Id posted:

Wonderslugprobably someone on Twitter maybe? looks into Yoko Taro's writing process.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Wow.

Thanks for this whole LP, The Dark Id, this has been one hell of a ride.

Proposal: He is a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Thank you for the magnificent LP as always, The Dark Id!

Also, there was an interview after the game's release that reveals Yoko Taro is one of the voices in the ending chorus :gbsmith:

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Bruceski posted:

The extra voices being added to the song when extra players come to help is beautiful.

Yeah, that's the part that really ruined me. That and "DO YOU THINK THAT GAMES ARE SILLY LITTLE THINGS?"

I'd been wondering who the gently caress the extra person was when Pod 042 referred to "the six of us". Then the continue prompts started getting more pointed, and other players started showing up, and the song started layering... and I stopped wondering.

That specific flavor of meta will just destroy my poo poo, every loving time. :negative:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bruceski posted:

I can't find the source anymore, but apparently the additional voices are all members of the Development team, Yoko Taro included. Even he's rooting for us.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
That... that ending. I actually usually hate endings like this, where everything you did has a payoff only in the eventual future of the game, which you're no longer taking part in and thus no longer privy to. It always feels a little cheap. This time, though, it feels complete. This time it actually felt like it was an ending - not just the end of a chapter of the story, but an actual ending to the story. How the hell can Taro-san make me actually like an ending conceit I usually hate?

Thanks for showing this game off, Id, and every previous game on Yoko Taro's Wild Ride. This was... beautiful.

Kind of sad the Watchers never showed up, though. La la la la la...

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Certainly not the first time that this game made me cry, but Ending E was certainly the emotional climax to Yoko Taro's Wild Ride: Automata. I can't remember where I wound up getting reinforcements, but I do know my tears were flowing when "DO YOU THINK GAMES ARE SILLY LITTLE THINGS" popped up.

By the by, the location section of your final message does have some locations taken from the Taro universe, such as the original NieR. Being the sap I am for that game, I chose the Forest of Myth as my location. "We're not that different, you and I. If that's the case, we should be able to get further."

Thank you, truly, for making an amazing LP, The Dark Id. It was one hell of a ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Supremezero posted:

Interesting note: It's been determined, I think, that when your data is used to save another player, and the player dies (thus causing the "X's data has been lost" bit on the lower right of the screen), your data is not, in fact, deleted. Someone's seen the same person save them multiple times.

So your data is out there, forever, saving people.

:allears:

Honestly it'd have to be that way. If each person who reached the end could only save one person you would very quickly run out of saviors, since I'm sure that the number of people who use help to reach the end and then keep their save data vastly outnumbers the number of people who get through that whole thing without help and then sacrifice themselves (and the other two permutations would be savior-neutral).

It really was a great game. Thank you for returning to LPs for it.

:yokotaro:

• Locked thread