Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hellioning posted:

It depends on the show for me. Most of his stuff is fine for a Japanese show made for boys, and Turn A is straight up feminist, but we still have Victory's Bikini Squad and Zeta's Reccoa to deal with.

I really don't get people's problem with Reccoa. I'd say she's actually one of his better female characters if anything, and not emblematic of a problem with women. A horribly broken and lovely person with some questionable beliefs yes, but still a good character despite it. She's not even alone as a terrible person with questionable beliefs in Zeta; though none of the rest are as broken as she is from what I recall of the show, having not watched it properly in years. Jerid, Bask, Jamitov and Quattro are all pretty terrible and/or broken men with questionable beliefs for instance, so I don't see how including terrible women like Reccoa or Haman marks him out as having a specific problem with women. Especially when Emma Sheen acts as Reccoa's opposite throughout the show. There's the obvious alignment changes, with Reccoa switching sides from the AEUG to the Titans, while Emma goes from the Titans to the AEUG. More than that though, Reccoa primarily abandons the AEUG in favor of the Titans for emotional reasons while Emma forgoes the possibility of a relationship with Henken because she doesn't want the distraction of an emotional relationship in the midst of a war. Emma and Reccoa even end up clashing in the finale because they're each others opposite, with Emma killing Reccoa and Reccoa's death causing Emma's death.

Then again, people regularly seem to view Reccoa as a crazy person who literally ditched the AEUG for the Titans with no foreshadowing and for no real reason beyond craving attention or something. Neither of which is true, but which does help affirm in my mind that Tomino's shows have almost always been fairly dense with information that is easy to miss, and that it wasn't something that started with G-Reco.

Reccoa as far as I can remember has 3 motivations going on. First, that she's a thrill-seeker and has a bit of a deathwish going on; so she constantly seeks out danger. Second, she seems to seek validation in action even if it doesn't really make her feel fulfilled and finally she wants real, emotional validation in a relationship. On top of this, she has a rather traumatic childhood that helps frame her behavior.

https://my.mixtape.moe/npadjm.webm

What happened to her would probably traumatize most anyone, and surviving the One Year War as a guerrilla left Reccoa with both an addiction to danger and an emotional void she didn't even really recognize but wanted to fill all the same. Which makes her similar to Char actually, now that I'm thinking about it. She wasn't getting that thrill from serving in the Federation, so she left and ended up joining AUEG. Not for any ideological reason, but because she wanted danger and emotional fulfillment and she thought she might find it there. Part of which she clarifies herself when talking to Fa later in the show.

https://my.mixtape.moe/abzcmu.webm

Putting that aside though, she volunteered for dangerous missions like spying in Jaburo and on the Jupiturus because they provided both the thrill of danger, and in my opinion at least, because she wanted the validation of doing these dangerous things that other people wouldn't or couldn't do. Eventually though, she realizes that her deathwish isn't really providing the fulfillment she wants and while she keeps doing such missions it seems almost rote. She explains her motivation to Fa, but then warns Fa not to become someone like her and thinks wistfully about how there's no-one waiting in her room for her. She wants more than just the life of a soldier and she isn't getting it where she is at the moment, priming her for what happens next.

https://my.mixtape.moe/orghwn.webm

I think it's worth pointing out two more scenes here too, to help define her relationship with Quattro. When Fa comes to check on her in the infirmary she tells Reccoa that Kamille asked her to do so, and Reccoa is very obviously disappointed that it was Kamille who sent her. The implication being she hoped Quattro had asked Fa. Then, a few minutes later when she's getting ready to leave for the Jupiturus as a spy Quattro tries to stop her but Reccoa refuses to not go. Her line that Quattro hasn't given her a reason not to go implies she wants him to stop her but she won't accept a simple order like he's trying to give and wants him to step up in a way she feels he hasn't done prior to that point and be the person waiting in her room. She wants a real relationship with him basically, and doesn't feel whatever they're doing up to that point is enough. Regardless, he can't stop her and she doesn't really see herself as having anything left on the ship so she goes for the sake of it.

https://my.mixtape.moe/ihbrkz.webm

And then she's defeated and is possibly going to die, which she seems resigned to and even kind of tired in general frankly. More importantly, she feels something preventing her from just accepting her death and decides to chase that something. She isn't even sure what she's chasing, just that it might give her something she hadn't been able to find within AEUG. She's so confused about what she's sensing that she thinks it could be Yazan, but it's obviously Scirocco. Who isn't even actively calling to her as far as I recall; so it's probably a Newtype thing. Scirocco is just using her, but does seem to at least superficially care for his subordinates (see Sarah's death for instance, when he tries to kill Katz in revenge) and that seems to be enough for Reccoa. I can't even recall whether she recognizes that he's just using her but either way, he fulfills her in a way that serving with AEUG never did and that's mostly what Reccoa has wanted all along: emotional validation. Like she told Fa, she's happy where she is in the Titans. She does feel regret (like wanting the AEUG to stop her gassing a colony), but she wants the fulfillment she's getting on the Jupiturus more than any ideology. Which is entirely consistent with her established character.

https://my.mixtape.moe/pvxdzf.webm

There's one more important point to Reccoa's character. It's heavily implied she was raped at some point, and this informs her character throughout the show. See all the talk about how the world has just men and women when trying to justify her behavior for instance. It's never stated where this happened, so it may have happened during the One Year War or it may have happened while she was a prisoner at Jaburo but when she's dying she tells Emma that men think of nothing but war and how to "humiliate" women. The word she uses for "humiliate" ties in to a specify type of humiliation in Japanese though; humiliation by rape. It doesn't translate to English as a single word however, and it's possible the people translating didn't want to mention rape either, so it was left as "humiliation". Humiliation on it's own doesn't account for Emma's rather shocked reaction afterwards though, so it leaves the scene feeling a bit weird.

Reccoa is a terrible person in Zeta, but she's a terrible person for good reasons and more importantly her behavior and goals are internally consistent with her past and personality. Which is all a character should be. More than that though, she has a lot going on and isn't a simple "what you see is what you get" character archetype. Unless you take Reccoa and Reccoa alone as being Tomino's mouthpiece on women and conforming to his views while dismissing Emma, Fa and others entirely as not being really representative of Tomino's views despite having as much or more prominence as Reccoa I can't honestly see why you'd think Reccoa was indicative of Tomino having a problem with women personally.

I would take a dozen Reccoas over an Emma any day as a character, because Reccoa is a layered character with conflicting motives and that makes her interesting while from what I recall Emma is the superficial "what you see is what you get" character I just complained about above. I wanted to point out more things that could make her and Reccoa opposing characters in Zeta for instance, but beyond defecting and putting off Henken there's really not much to her character that I can remember. She's a good person, and that's kind of it. Which is fine I suppose, since Zeta needed a few of them, but means she's kind of dull.

Then again, it's hard to make a good person who's nearly as interesting as a broken or bad person. Tomino's good characters are almost always quite dull, not just in Zeta. I love Loran for instance, but he is not an interesting person really. Dianna is one of his few good characters who is interesting I suppose on thinking about it, since she has a bit of trauma from serving as a figurehead for hundreds of years chronologically but which has left her physiologically kind of hosed up. One of the more interesting details in Turn-A to me is her wondering if she'll ever remember her parent's faces at one point. Her learning about how simple and pleasing life as Kihel is is one of my favorite parts of Turn-A too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

And yet, as weird as Tomino gets about women, his anime still feels like sexist than many made today.

I mean, unless it'S just me who gets that feeling.
victory gundam is insanely more sexist than any random harem trash

and saying 'many made today' as if shows in the 80s and 90s werent incredibly sexist sometimes is pretty hosed up, esp. since way more women have leading writing and directorial roles in anime today than in the 80s and 90s. like yeah, there's dumb harem trash and ln self-insert stuff made today, but stuff like that existed in the same era as gundam too. if anything, it was even more prevalent in a way. take a gander at how many 80s and 90s anime feature ownage scenes of women being talked down to or told they're being hysterical or whatever. at least death march or whatever doesnt literally have a character turn to the camera and say women are inherently subservient. or have a character marry her rapist.

edit: also Reccoa's kind of a weird pull as a whole but yeah, I never really took her shtick as a commentary on women in general unlike what Victory Gundam feels like, she's just a weird, broken person. I dont' think her arc is that well executed but she's just a somewhat misfired character, fumbling the ball a bit with a female character isnt inherently sexist and there's plenty of women in Zeta that don't have the same arc she does so it doesn't feel like Tomino's making any kind of gendered statement.

I also took that one scene of some voice calling to her as her having her weak newtype thing going on that scirocco's newtypeness connected with. It makes the most sense to me, and explains a lot of her vagueries about wanting to experience something exciting and having this void in her - in addition to her time in the OYW, she's got this vague feeling that she's about to open up some metaphysical door and expand her view of all of existence but it just never really happens for her like it did for Kamille or Amuro or whoever.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 2, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well we've got a date for Gunpla Build Divers! It starts airing on Tuesday April 3rd at 5.55PM (for maximum please kids watch our show, buy our toys, please!)

They also bought some space in a lot of the April hobby magazines and such for a little bit of thinly veiled sponsored content. It's pretty much the same information as what's on the official site but the primer outlines 6 of the characters and includes short introduction for all the mobile suits for which model kits have been announced.

Riku Mikami - Every shonen protagonist ever. (Pilots 00 Diver)
Yukio Hidaka - The know-it-all friend character. (Pilots ugly rear end orange piece of crap GM III Beam Master)
Momoka Yashiro - The gets dragged into it because of cute stuff female friend character. (Ugh, really guys? This just feels like a huge step backwards.) Also her avatar is a cat girl. :rolleyes: (Pilots Momokapool)
Kyouya Kujou - A rose by any other name would smell as Meijin Kawaguchi. (Pilots AGE II Magnum)
Rommel - Bizarro Kawaguchi (Pilots Grimoire Red Beret)
Sara - 1 part Reiji, 1 part Aila, shake until all originality is dissolved. (Pilots ???)
Pilots for the Ogre GN-X and Seravee Scheherazade still unaccounted for.

While the 3 junior high kids are advertised with both their real world and avatar appearances, there's still no hints as to what Rommel or Kyouya may look like in 'real life'. I'm putting my money on Sara being an AI construct though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

victory gundam is insanely more sexist than any random harem trash

and saying 'many made today' as if shows in the 80s and 90s werent incredibly sexist sometimes is pretty hosed up, esp. since way more women have leading writing and directorial roles in anime today than in the 80s and 90s. like yeah, there's dumb harem trash and ln self-insert stuff made today, but stuff like that existed in the same era as gundam too. if anything, it was even more prevalent in a way. take a gander at how many 80s and 90s anime feature ownage scenes of women being talked down to or told they're being hysterical or whatever. at least death march or whatever doesnt literally have a character turn to the camera and say women are inherently subservient. or have a character marry her rapist.

I specifically mentioned Tomino and not all anime of the 80s-90s.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

then why even mention many anime made today why not just 'anime in general'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

then why even mention many anime made today why not just 'anime in general'

That's also a valid comparison, but I was mostly reacting to how most modern mecha anime (with a few notable exceptions) are still pretty terrible when it comes to women characters.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I was kinda hoping Divers was Reiji's reality's take on gunplay battles since kits were being sold their at the end of the first series.

You get old kingdom fantasy stuff, but fun model fights.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

RillAkBea posted:

Momoka Yashiro - The gets dragged into it because of cute stuff female friend character. (Ugh, really guys? This just feels like a huge step backwards.) Also her avatar is a cat girl. :rolleyes: (Pilots Momokapool)

Honestly though saying China "plays in the girl league with a gunpla even a girl could build" Kosaka is definitely worse than Fumina "totally as good as the boys honest (playing a support)" Hoshino feels like comparing sexist apples to sexist oranges.

At least with China the moral was "people who aren't into/good at Gunpla (girls) are valid, their perspectives and ideas are valuable, and they deserve to be welcomed in the community." Fumina's whole arc was being let down from the idea that she was a real main character.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Caphi posted:

Honestly though saying China "plays in the girl league with a gunpla even a girl could build" Kosaka is definitely worse than Fumina "totally as good as the boys honest (playing a support)" Hoshino feels like comparing sexist apples to sexist oranges.

At least with China the moral was "people who aren't into/good at Gunpla (girls) are valid, their perspectives and ideas are valuable, and they deserve to be welcomed in the community." Fumina's whole arc was being let down from the idea that she was a real main character.

True, the builders series have a lot of problems on the whole portraying female characters. So perhaps not as big of a step backwards but still, it hurts how hard they're leaning into the tropes on what looks to be a main/regular character.

Personally I do prefer China to Fumina as a character but at least they gave Fumina her own reasons for getting into Gunpla before they unceremoniously threw her in the Kamiki harem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only unproblematic gundam woman is gyanko

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Endorph posted:

edit: also Reccoa's kind of a weird pull as a whole but yeah, I never really took her shtick as a commentary on women in general unlike what Victory Gundam feels like, she's just a weird, broken person. I dont' think her arc is that well executed but she's just a somewhat misfired character, fumbling the ball a bit with a female character isnt inherently sexist and there's plenty of women in Zeta that don't have the same arc she does so it doesn't feel like Tomino's making any kind of gendered statement.

I also took that one scene of some voice calling to her as her having her weak newtype thing going on that scirocco's newtypeness connected with. It makes the most sense to me, and explains a lot of her vagueries about wanting to experience something exciting and having this void in her - in addition to her time in the OYW, she's got this vague feeling that she's about to open up some metaphysical door and expand her view of all of existence but it just never really happens for her like it did for Kamille or Amuro or whoever.

There's also the thing where Scirocco touches people all the time and every person he touches ends up thinking he's the bees knees. There's seriously like two scenes with Scirocco not in a mech or a fight where he doesn't make physical contact with someone, even just jumping down from his captain chair he'll touch someone and they go from being worried about what he's doing to agreeing with him that its totally fine and good actually almost instantly. He's a magic brain baby using his powers for evil.

Tomino often has not very brilliant female characters but they're often accompanied by ones that are mostly the same as any non-protagonist character. With Victory it feels like its maximum sexism all the time as a directorial choice.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

the only unproblematic gundam woman is gyanko

People say that Fumina should've been the main character, but it really should've been Shimon and Gyanko

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still mad that the character who exists to be what Sekai's arc should have been was just a one episode speed bump for him. And Gyanko was criminally underused, and Lady Meijin.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

I'm still mad that the character who exists to be what Sekai's arc should have been was just a one episode speed bump for him. And Gyanko was criminally underused, and Lady Meijin.

I would barely even call it an arc. It's more like a series of events that Sekai just happens to be present for without any independent initiative on his part.

But, but, ooh look how amazing he is; All three other finale teams in the Nationals are fighting over who gets to fight him
:rolleyes::fh:.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sekai honestly wouldnt be a bad character if he was the rival. a guy who's so good and captivating at the sport that he pulls hypothetical new protagonist-kun into wanting to compete with him at the same level. its just as the protagonist hes colossally boring.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

sekai honestly wouldnt be a bad character if he was the rival. a guy who's so good and captivating at the sport that he pulls hypothetical new protagonist-kun into wanting to compete with him at the same level. its just as the protagonist hes colossally boring.

In my brain dream of a Shimon-based GBFT, Sekai's fight with Shimon would've been a character moment for Shimon's brother. Shimon and Sekai, both roughly matched fighters, both using Gunpla they didn't make, but Sekai wins because of build quality. That motivates Shimon's brother to decide he wants to get better at Gunpla, Gyanko's brother shows up to help him, character growth happens.

As opposed to the real show, where nobody can ever feel any negative emotions about their interactions with Sekai at all for any reason, and character growth was eschewed out of fear that it would distract from Sekai.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/tokoroten_1234/status/969613883366301696

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

In my brain dream of a Shimon-based GBFT, Sekai's fight with Shimon would've been a character moment for Shimon's brother. Shimon and Sekai, both roughly matched fighters, both using Gunpla they didn't make, but Sekai wins because of build quality. That motivates Shimon's brother to decide he wants to get better at Gunpla, Gyanko's brother shows up to help him, character growth happens.

As opposed to the real show, where nobody can ever feel any negative emotions about their interactions with Sekai at all for any reason, and character growth was eschewed out of fear that it would distract from Sekai.

Yuuma is the best builder there is. Look, his pride and joy is... a new backpack! That works exactly the same as the old one!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tri is a show where the girl everyone thought would be the main character is written to build a gundam that, as its express purpose, explodes and removes her from the fight to let the boys fight better, because that is winning.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

chumbler posted:

Tri is a show where the girl everyone thought would be the main character is written to build a gundam that, as its express purpose, explodes and removes her from the fight to let the boys fight better, because that is winning.

That's the Winning Road.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

To be fair they realized exactly how dumb this was midway through the series and had an episode where another character beat her up and yelled at her to stop doing that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

To be fair they realized exactly how dumb this was midway through the series and had an episode where another character beat her up and yelled at her to stop doing that.

I'm pretty sure midway through the series they realized fans were honest in their death threats or something, because the series suddenly grabs Meijin and has him point out everything wrong in it.

Except the biggest failure of the series, Sekai and how the series is Sekai's and Sekai's alone, which continues to be just as bad if not worse from there on, but I guess we couldn't expect all the fixes. At least Yuuma becomes a genuinely likable character and Fumina gets a Gundam that can fight on its own instead of being tools for the other two.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

After the original Build Fighters, I really wanted someone like Reiji as the main character. I realize Reiji already was a dueteragonist, but I mean a full on main character. And Try seemed to be fulfilling that desire, especially since the first episode was mostly him as a budding martial arts idiot who seemed to have some kind of wind affinity but not be overpowering with it and mostly just being a dorky karate guy. And then the rest of the show happened. I still think the idea could be really fun though, mostly because I recall reading about a SRW character who had a mecha martial arts that was basically Fist of the North Star style stuff but specifically for mechanical units rather than people, and think a martial artist falling in love with gunpla and decided to invent a gunpla martial arts that exploits the weaknesses of plastic models could be really fun. Especially if he had an old competition rival who got annoyed about his transition, but starts to do his own martial arts poo poo with his own gunpla to try and catch up to him.

I also like to image this alternate Sekai being the one who has a SD style Gundam. Or at least, an SD style head/face, because as a melee focused unit for the main character who communicates a lot having an expressive face just makes sense to me. And then giving his unit a Mack Knife style waist/legs, both because it makes the lower limbs really flexible from the looks of G-Reco's use of them and also because those legs look a bit like a gi already.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doing a rewatch of 0083, and while I stand by it having some of the best opening and ending themes in the franchise (utterly nailing the Top Gun riff), the actual in-show music is pretty bad and the audio quality is shockingly rear end. It's so weird when you get a show that looks this good but sounds so dated, and the localization english dub sounds like it was done on phone microphones in a hotel bathroom. The actual voice performances are pretty decent, but everything just sounds too sharp or too muffled and there is no inbetween.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

After the original Build Fighters, I really wanted someone like Reiji as the main character. I realize Reiji already was a dueteragonist, but I mean a full on main character. And Try seemed to be fulfilling that desire, especially since the first episode was mostly him as a budding martial arts idiot who seemed to have some kind of wind affinity but not be overpowering with it and mostly just being a dorky karate guy. And then the rest of the show happened. I still think the idea could be really fun though, mostly because I recall reading about a SRW character who had a mecha martial arts that was basically Fist of the North Star style stuff but specifically for mechanical units rather than people, and think a martial artist falling in love with gunpla and decided to invent a gunpla martial arts that exploits the weaknesses of plastic models could be really fun. Especially if he had an old competition rival who got annoyed about his transition, but starts to do his own martial arts poo poo with his own gunpla to try and catch up to him.

I would absolutely be down for the Gunpla version of Panzer Kunst :allears:. Alas, instead we got JIGEN HAOH RIYU GENERIC PUNCH/KICK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If Sekai's martial arts had all been about exploiting the plasticness of his robot that would have been great. Or... really anything that made it about his robot instead of just him having magical martial arts.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

If Sekai's martial arts had all been about exploiting the plasticness of his robot that would have been great. Or... really anything that made it about his robot instead of just him having magical martial arts.

Instead, they made it so his robot couldn't do anything his body couldn't do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caphi posted:

Instead, they made it so his robot couldn't do anything his body couldn't do.

And made drat certain there would never be a fight as brutally entertaining as the Star Build Strike versus the Fenice Gundam, because THE DAMAGE INFLICTED HURTS HIM TOO! :qq:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

It would've been really good if the main character had motivation. If the protagonist of the show had had goals or desires, that would've been just great.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

It would've been really good if the main character had motivation. If the protagonist of the show had had goals or desires, that would've been just great.

Hey, he had motivations! His primary motivation for doing gunpla battles was that it let him practice his martial arts on people without hurting them. So, yeah, he basically didn't give a poo poo about the whole gunpla thing in and of itself. They kind of tried to push him towards enjoying gunpla and Gundam in and of themselves(see the Fumina and Sekai sing anime ja nai scene) but they kind of half-assed it and offscreened a lot of it so it never feels sincere like how Reiji got multiple episodes about him coming to enjoy the sport instead of regarding it as a silly baby game for idiots.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Hey, he had motivations! His primary motivation for doing gunpla battles was that it let him practice his martial arts on people without hurting them. So, yeah, he basically didn't give a poo poo about the whole gunpla thing in and of itself. They kind of tried to push him towards enjoying gunpla and Gundam in and of themselves(see the Fumina and Sekai sing anime ja nai scene) but they kind of half-assed it and offscreened a lot of it so it never feels sincere like how Reiji got multiple episodes about him coming to enjoy the sport instead of regarding it as a silly baby game for idiots.

Sekai's primary motivation for gunpla battles was Fumina asked him in episode 1, and he got roped into competing. Sekai never makes any action of his own throughout the series, people just hand him a shiny new upgraded Gunpla and say "go fight that guy for us" (Or come to him saying "I wanna fight you"). He makes no effort to engage in Gunpla of his own volition, or even with any of the main or secondary cast outside of fighting. Even when they get together for the big mid-season upgrade, Sekai's contribution is doing basic busywork while Yuuma does all the designing. Because that's what he was told to do.

I also still think the Anime Ja Nai thing would've made more sense with it being Fumina and Yuuma considering they're meant to be old friends.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Hey, he had motivations! His primary motivation for doing gunpla battles was that it let him practice his martial arts on people without hurting them.

I genuinely don't remember that ever being said. He was forced to Gunpla battle in the first episode, and then just kinda kept doing it. I guess he just thought it was fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I genuinely don't remember that ever being said. He was forced to Gunpla battle in the first episode, and then just kinda kept doing it. I guess he just thought it was fun.

When he decides to go on a training binge for the Mega Shiki fight he mentions how it's good training for his martial arts as well. I think he also briefly mentions it when he fights the Destiny, and of course it's a thing with his dumb rival guy whose name I don't even remember. It's also considered a major thing because the stupid Phoenix Attack is a technique he develops on his own that isn't Jigen Haoh Ryu.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

No-one told him to stop.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Victory Gundam Haro is an absolute badass. It infiltrates Zanscare controlled space to find Shahkti, creates diversions to help Üso escape, sacrifices himself to stop Üso from being electrocuted, and keeps growing immensely large in the sequences between episode halves.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In regards to Tomino and women, I'd just say I like Emma because in a series like Zeta I desperately needed the occasional Emma to right the ship and provide some sort of stable character.

I didn't really enjoy Reccoa, but I didn't dislike her arc as much as I disliked Rosamia. Rosamia was.......bizarre.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Watching Zeta Gundam the first time, and the dub raised a question I'd never considered before: Do people pronounce the GM as the "Jim", or was that just a weird thing the dub does? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Jim instead of Gee Emm.

Also, holy crap the TV series is already loads better than the movies, things make sense and have context.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 7, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Teetons

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EVGA Longoria posted:

Watching Zeta Gundam the first time, and the dub raised a question I'd never considered before: Do people pronounce the GM as the "Jim", or was that just a weird thing the dub does? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Jim instead of Gee Emm.

Also, holy crap the TV series is already loads better than the movies, things make sense and have context.

The katakana is literally ji-mu, so yeah, jim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Jim for GM reminds me of WWII plane codenames