Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jealous Cow posted:

I would imagine, yes.

That's a huge difference. The hellcube doesn't have windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That's a huge difference. The hellcube doesn't have windows

Also the lack of windows means you can stack an infinite fire-risk hallway of them, killing all but the lucky and fast residents.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Gerund posted:

Also the lack of windows means you can stack an infinite fire-risk hallway of them, killing all but the lucky and fast residents.

to be fair, there's a good chance that you you might die of trampling instead

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/sewellchan/status/1538252175272558594?s=20&t=svSTIqjTlodEjjA0iDA3gg

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

These are a thing already all over the country. Check out common.com

At the same time, I doubt there's a residential community that's cramming 512 onto a single floor, for at least 9 floors.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

US Current Events: A third delegate mentions dildos and fisting before she is cut off

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Who let all these leopards in to the party? Better keep voting for them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Fister Roboto posted:

US Current Events: A third delegate mentions dildos and fisting before she is cut off

We are less than decades away from having a goon senator

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Never forget

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634476

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ossoff almost certainly posted on SA.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kalli posted:

I mean considering the current state of NYC apartments, converting some office buildings into terrible hives wouldn't be much of a dystopia compared to the current state of things.

Like there's already plenty of ultra micro apartments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdrtEqcHU

Or you know, the straight up illegal ones not up to code that get people killed, like last year's floods:

https://abc7ny.com/nyc-flooding-deadly-13-killed-basement-apartments-flood/10995579/

But blah blah blah, any conversion would be into obscene luxury condos to sit vacant for ultrarich investors regardless.

This person is trying to convince themselves they actually like their horrid little closet they live in while just a block or two away a massive amount of space is taken up for Billionaire’s Row where most of the apartments sit vacant because the apartments are purchased as investments for portfolios and not so people can live in them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Living in a small space is a right"

"I'm a professional organizer" - shot of precariously stacked boxes on flimsy shelving units

lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FizFashizzle posted:

Ossoff almost certainly posted on SA.

Jack Ossoff is definitely a goon username

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This person is trying to convince themselves they actually like their horrid little closet they live in while just a block or two away a massive amount of space is taken up for Billionaire’s Row where most of the apartments sit vacant because the apartments are purchased as investments for portfolios and not so people can live in them

Yeah, can't be emphasised enough how developers will literally only build luxury apartments and how almost all of them are sitting empty for years on end because no one can afford them except oligarchs.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, can't be emphasised enough how developers will literally only build luxury apartments and how almost all of them are sitting empty for years on end because no one can afford them except oligarchs.

Building top end is supposed to trickle the others down. As you say, that only works if people are living in them. If businesses are leveraging current properties into more properties then nothing moves. I guess that means that if it is all leveraged buyers investing, then a bubble burst could lead to a spectacular glut of houses that craters prices. Only time will tell, the people currently worth millions on paper aren’t going to give that up willingly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It really depends on the market. In NYC, the vacancy rate has been between 3-4% every single month for the last decade. And, a lot of those vacancies are just "technical vacancies," where the person is moving out on the start of the month and they need a few days to clean and show the apartment. So, the actual number of units sitting vacant long-term is less than 1%. There are just way more people who want to live in NYC than there are living spaces. So, any new openings will get taken almost immediately.

On the other end is Detroit, where they have basically never had less than a 15% vacancy rate for the last decade and most luxury (or even mid-range or lower) housing will sit vacant for long periods of time.

All of the "hot" urban areas that have experienced rapid growth recently (NYC, SF, Seattle, D.C., etc.) would benefit from more of ANY level of housing, because the ratio of housing units to residents/desired residents is so completely out of whack.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 19, 2022

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

drat, they're really going for it. No pulling back on the stick, just full-on gonna ride that nuke into the dirt like Slim Pickens.

This new normal of the GOP's lunatic fringe in the driver's seat feels different. Based on the weirdly popular DeSantis running his playbook, Trump's proof of concept that the only policy platform the Republican base really cares about is "owning the libs" (or at least appearing like you are by doing a bunch of meaningless performative bullshit) seems to have set the stage for the GOP to drive off a cliff.

This has happened before, the GOP had a massive resurgence of the Religious Right in the 80's that culminated in the infamous 1992 Republican National Convention, headlined by Pat Buchanan's Culture War speech. When H.W. Bush went on to lose re-election to Clinton, many pointed to the 1992 RNC as a not insignificant factor in alienating moderate R's.

It's clear that Trump opened pandora's box and all the front running GOP candidates are going to be maximizing the crazy for the foreseeable future but it's anyone's guess if it'll backfire this time like it did back in '92.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

-Blackadder- posted:

drat, they're really going for it. No pulling back on the stick, just full-on gonna ride that nuke into the dirt like Slim Pickens.

This new normal of the GOP's lunatic fringe in the driver's seat feels different. Based on the weirdly popular DeSantis running his playbook, Trump's proof of concept that the only policy platform the Republican base really cares about is "owning the libs" (or at least appearing like you are by doing a bunch of meaningless performative bullshit) seems to have set the stage for the GOP to drive off a cliff.

This has happened before, the GOP had a massive resurgence of the Religious Right in the 80's that culminated in the infamous 1992 Republican National Convention, headlined by Pat Buchanan's Culture War speech. When H.W. Bush went on to lose re-election to Clinton, many pointed to the 1992 RNC as a not insignificant factor in alienating moderate R's.

It's clear that Trump opened pandora's box and all the front running GOP candidates are going to be maximizing the crazy for the foreseeable future but it's anyone's guess if it'll backfire this time like it did back in '92.

I’m not sure there are moderate Rs to alienate. And Bush losing in 92 had more to do with Perot’s campaign than anything Buchanan said.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

this is just wrong because the economics of building new units only works out if you can assume an occupancy rate of (generally) 95%+. Places where people buy apartments instead of renting them work out a bit differently because the economics of new construction still works out there as long as they hit the targeted sale rate, but all the generic 'luxury apartments' (which are just normal apartments, but they spent an extra 1k on a nice countertop) are absolutely intended to be rented/lived in in nearly every housing market in the country country.

also for a multitude of reasons, unoccupied investment properties aren't really a thing in the US the way they are in other countries because there are a variety of ways to park money in the US while still getting benefit from it and an unoccupied property is about the least productive way of parking money possible and you generally only see it in countries where there's significant distrust of other forms of investment or strong restrictions wrt holding/moving money around.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 19, 2022

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Bellmaker posted:

I’m not sure there are moderate Rs to alienate. And Bush losing in 92 had more to do with Perot’s campaign than anything Buchanan said.

Well Biden did manage to peel the suburbs in 2020, but that could be only temporary, and either way it's certainly true that the current situation is much more dire than '92. One thing's for sure, the GOP is going over that cliff, and there's a not insignificant chance it takes the country with it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bellmaker posted:

I don't claim to fully know the implications of it, but there are a huge number of centristy people who identify as either independent or very loosely with one party. For as divisive as politics are in the US, a very significant amount of cross party voting happens and it absolutely does effect elections. Something like 40% of americans don't consider themselves a part of either party

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I don't claim to fully know the implications of it, but there are a huge number of centristy people who identify as either independent or very loosely with one party. For as divisive as politics are in the US, a very significant amount of cross party voting happens and it absolutely does effect elections. Something like 40% of americans don't consider themselves a part of either party

"Independents" are almost entirely straight R ticket voters that don't want the social stigma of being Republicans.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
They very demonstrably are not, otherwise republicans would be something like 65% of the electorate, which they definitely are not.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I wouldn't say independents lean centrist. They seem to mostly be either straight-up apathetic or correctly assume that neither of the Big Two actually give a single gently caress about the people they represent.

The Moderate Republican is generally just a myth. Lunatic GOP isn't actually different from Normal GOP, they just say the quiet parts loud because they figured out that nobody's going to stop them.

e:

Zophar posted:

"Independents" are almost entirely straight R ticket voters that don't want the social stigma of being Republicans.

This is extremely untrue, though it's a myth that the diehard Vote Blue No Matter Who crowd loves pushing so some people have internalized this.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 19, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That's what they may tell pollsters on the phone but voting habits have been changing for decades. GOP has gone so far off in to bat poo poo crazy land that there's much, much less political crossover happening. Polarization is just astonishingly solid. Republicans should be getting absolutely destroyed as a rump party in a healthy political environment, based on how they keep tripling down on purity testing and driving the unclean out of the party. They've just rigged the system with voter suppression, gerrymandering, court decisions and on and on to get ever more power with fewer and more cultishly devoted followers.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

bird food bathtub posted:

That's what they may tell pollsters on the phone but voting habits have been changing for decades. GOP has gone so far off in to bat poo poo crazy land that there's much, much less political crossover happening. Polarization is just astonishingly solid.

I don't know that this is really the case. Most people are so uninformed about everything that their opinions are almost indistinguishable from being randomly assigned. Here and on Twitter or Reddit you get a lot of impassioned arguments for and against things, but the average person's opinion is more or less "I haven't thought about this until you just asked." A lot of voters simply vote out of inertia. If you were to ask them what they believed, they'd say that they're lifelong republicans or democrats, but when pressed on policy they either don't know at all what the party they vote for espouses, or they think it aligns with whatever they already think even if it's literally the opposite.

It's anecdotal, but most of the republicans I know aren't personally anti-gay, and they simply don't realize it's an important party plank among the magas. They just don't know or particularly care. I think historically what you find is that people think "oh, well we wouldn't do X horrible thing, it's just common sense that doesn't happen" like up until this week there was federal funding for conversion therapy. But if it wasn't something that directly involved you, you not only wouldn't know, you'd have assumed that such a thing was nonsense.

"you" in this case being the general one.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Being as plugged in as we are it's easy to forget that our demographic of "politically awares" is actually a minuscule subset of the population. Nearly half the country doesn't even vote. In the last election which had a 120 year record high turn out, 80 million eligible voters stayed home, that's a lot of potential voters with no firm alliance that could be activated with a good conversation (which is part of why Abrams has been so successful).

And even out of the people who do vote most have an overly simplistic understanding of current policy issues and basically the level of political awareness of this person:
https://twitter.com/peyton_ford/status/1324031555812139009

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Yinlock posted:

I wouldn't say independents lean centrist. They seem to mostly be either straight-up apathetic or correctly assume that neither of the Big Two actually give a single gently caress about the people they represent.

The Moderate Republican is generally just a myth. Lunatic GOP isn't actually different from Normal GOP, they just say the quiet parts loud because they figured out that nobody's going to stop them.

e:

This is extremely untrue, though it's a myth that the diehard Vote Blue No Matter Who crowd loves pushing so some people have internalized this.

they can all be lunatics or whatever but their historically (and currently, and hell you can watch it play out in hearings right now) has been a significant split between culture war republicans and business republicans. Honestly I think moderate is just an outdated term for describing gop factions. That's not to say that they have considerably different beliefs or more/less bigotries, but traditionally the split has been over whether business or culture war comes first. Historically business Rs would tap into culture war issues to shore up their votes, although that dynamic has probably reversed now, if anything, and additionally some dems clearly see business Rs as a group that can be tapped into to shore up their voterbase.

Also just because I'm curious where are you still seeing vote blue no matter who stuff because I don't think I've seen those words used earnestly in probably 8+ years? It's probably just me not being in the target demo or w/e, but I'm very curious where people are even seeing that in this day and age.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

They very demonstrably are not, otherwise republicans would be something like 65% of the electorate, which they definitely are not.

65% of the electorate that shows up to vote are often Republicans. That's the key difference. America is a center-left-ish nation by population and shared values, but it is a far right wing nation politically, because the far right gets their asses out to voting booths, votes straight R down the ticket, and wins. Anyone to the left of Nancy Pelosi is incapable of winning an election for various reasons anymore outside of amazing flukes like AOC.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 19, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Young Freud posted:

At the same time, I doubt there's a residential community that's cramming 512 onto a single floor, for at least 9 floors.

you know im not sure that's typical at all.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Jealous Cow posted:

These are a thing already all over the country. Check out common.com

Way larger, with more baths and windows for every unit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Isn’t this what people are dreaming of when they say they want everyone shoved into mixed zone urban housing

It’s not all gonna be luxury 1200sqft apartments over a Whole Foods

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Timbs posted:

Isn’t this what people are dreaming of when they say they want everyone shoved into mixed zone urban housing

It’s not all gonna be luxury 1200sqft apartments over a Whole Foods

This is stupid, why are you writing things you yourself don't even believe? Do you think there's no in-between between single family detached housing and whatever this is? Also, dense housing means tons of stores exist, this is the reality in many European cities.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 19, 2022

Sekhem
Feb 13, 2009

this is just wrong because the economics of building new units only works out if you can assume an occupancy rate of (generally) 95%+. Places where people buy apartments instead of renting them work out a bit differently because the economics of new construction still works out there as long as they hit the targeted sale rate, but all the generic 'luxury apartments' (which are just normal apartments, but they spent an extra 1k on a nice countertop) are absolutely intended to be rented/lived in in nearly every housing market in the country country.

This seems like you're just arguing from intuition, not the actual data. In the last NYC Housing and Vacancy survey, there was a net gain of 107,000 units with rent at $2,300+, a bracket which has a very significant 12.64% vacancy rate. The overall vacancy rate in NYC is 3-4% but that's heavily skewed down by lower income buroughs like the Bronx which has a less than 1% vacancy rate, in Manhattan it's a huge 10%.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Sekhem posted:

This seems like you're just arguing from intuition, not the actual data. In the last NYC Housing and Vacancy survey, there was a net gain of 107,000 units with rent at $2,300+, a bracket which has a very significant 12.64% vacancy rate. The overall vacancy rate in NYC is 3-4% but that's heavily skewed down by lower income buroughs like the Bronx which has a less than 1% vacancy rate, in Manhattan it's a huge 10%.

nyc is the freak housing market that is the exception to basically every statement about housing wrt most of the rest of the US, yes, and is specifically what I was referring to with "Places where people buy apartments instead of renting them work out a bit differently"

I also do not know many specifics of the NYC housing market, so I defer to your knowledge on it. It has the added complexity of being one of the very few cities in the US that actually has a significant number of apartments being kept as unoccupied investments because NYC housing is internationally desirable for a bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with occupation or more typical types of real estate investment.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 19, 2022

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

65% of the electorate that shows up to vote are often Republicans. That's the key difference. America is a center-left-ish nation by population and shared values, but it is a far right wing nation politically, because the far right gets their asses out to voting booths, votes straight R down the ticket, and wins.
Republicans know this and have spent 2+ decades making voting more and more difficult for people who aren't them. If I'm a single parent working two jobs and the polling location that used to be at my kids' school suddenly gets moved across town to Shady Acres Retirement Home for Wealthy Assholes, and I can't vote early or by mail because my state took that option away, you don't get to put the blame on me as the individual voter.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Sekhem posted:

Do you have any insight in the accuracy of the NYC Housing and Vacancy survey vs The Corcoran report? As you stated, the NYC Housing and Vacancy survey's Manhattan vacancy rate is ~10%, which was conducted between February - July 2021. But the Corcoran report stated August 2021 was just 2.26% for Manhattan. And the newest one reports February 2022 as just 1.7%

These numbers are wildly different, so I'm curious about why and which is more accurate, but I'm completely unfamiliar with NYC.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 19, 2022

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

also for a multitude of reasons, unoccupied investment properties aren't really a thing in the US the way they are in other countries because there are a variety of ways to park money in the US while still getting benefit from it and an unoccupied property is about the least productive way of parking money possible and you generally only see it in countries where there's significant distrust of other forms of investment or strong restrictions wrt holding/moving money around.

I think the OP is just mixing apartments and condos. If one reads it as "condos that are purchased and then sit empty are bad for housing" then it is obviously true. How much is happens is a different question, but the massive amount of appreciation the last 10 years would result in it making economic sense. I don't buy your "least productive way of parking money" with YOY of ~10% in certain areas. The simple answer is to ban investment in property that is meant to be owned via a mortgage. If you want to invest in property, buy into an apartment complex, don't rent seek on housing others would want to buy. If it doesn't happen much then there is no downside (or upside), but it seems simple enough to do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Republicans know this and have spent 2+ decades making voting more and more difficult for people who aren't them. If I'm a single parent working two jobs and the polling location that used to be at my kids' school suddenly gets moved across town to Shady Acres Retirement Home for Wealthy Assholes, and I can't vote early or by mail because my state took that option away, you don't get to put the blame on me as the individual voter.

True, but there was also an extremely brief window when actual voters had the chance to stop that, back when it was being workshopped in states like Wisconsin and people were trying to argue "Please, please, please, loving show up to vote because if the Republicans win, voting is going to go away, first slowly, then rapidly," and the response was a collective "Yeah, but I'm just not inspired... [15 years later] HOLY gently caress WHY CAN'T I VOTE ANYMORE?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Boot and Rally posted:

I think the OP is just mixing apartments and condos. If one reads it as "condos that are purchased and then sit empty are bad for housing" then it is obviously true. How much is happens is a different question, but the massive amount of appreciation the last 10 years would result in it making economic sense. I don't buy your "least productive way of parking money" with YOY of ~10% in certain areas. The simple answer is to ban investment in property that is meant to be owned via a mortgage. If you want to invest in property, buy into an apartment complex, don't rent seek on housing others would want to buy. If it doesn't happen much then there is no downside (or upside), but it seems simple enough to do.

It's unproductive because it generates zero return and no one intelligent is betting on indefinite 10% annual growth of real estate. If that same amount of money is instead used to build an apartment building in an area where housing is in demand (eg most mid-large cities in the US), it gets leveraged farther because assuming x% tenancy at y rent per month minus taxes+maintenance, then the rent of the building pays for the mortgage on the entire building. Currently variations of that are the main thing leading to construction of new housing capacity in most of the country. People just buying a multi-million dollar space in nyc for zero reason beyond wanting to have their money there is some .0001% of the population stuff, albeit in cities where there the housing market is sufficiently international and you have enough billionaires and poo poo, that starts to be a significant chunk of the high end housing capacity. that dynamic has basically zero bearing on the housing market that 99% of people interact with

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 19, 2022