Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tommy Dreamer sounds like a total moron with a Swiss cheese brain in denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

ecw will never die

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's amazing how, in the early going, it doesn't sound all that bad. He just says one or two things that make you think "Hm, ok" but then by part 2 it just goes insane.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

ken shamrock would be in the top 10 percentile of the UFC in regards to skill & conditioning if you put him in there today.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nut

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

@TalkIsJericho posted:

This week on #TIJ:
Wed- @FOZZYROCK band & #WWEBattleground review w Ash & Ted Irvine
Fri- @ZackRyder

I'm kinda excited about that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That stuff about his foster dad's sexuality and how he had to come to terms with that was pretty eye-opening though, that must have been a real struggle for him to deal with.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Another Person posted:

I'm kinda excited about that.

And for the other show, I'm sure Jericho's family will give an unbiased opinion of his performances.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gaz-L posted:

And for the other show, I'm sure Jericho's family will give an unbiased opinion of his performances.

To be fair, Jericho can pretty much always put on a good show. He just wasn't quite working quite right with Wyatt. I'd love to hear what he thinks about him winning, since he has no issue with putting people over.

Anyway, the Jake/DDP episode was great. And though Warrior was a mad racist, it seems that he was genuinely trying to do right by people. It seems he came to a realisation pretty late in life. It was oddly touching to hear that someone who was so ego-centric was the bigger man and made amends.

Also, I had no idea so many wrestlers do DDP Yoga. The thought of Vince doing it his hilarious though.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
From what Dave said, part of the reasons Battleground suffered was that most of the guys were still exhausted and jetlagged as hell from the Japanese tour.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

THE 10 COUNT EPISODE 64

Hosts: The Goog, MassRafTer, Me.

THE TOPICS

01.) Battleground
02.) G1 Climax predictions
03.) G1 Climax Night 1 Reaction
04.) The best women's feud in forever
05.) Stephanie McMahon is amazing
06.) RIP Cesaro
07.) Paul Heyman is...more amazing.
08.) Kane's mask AND the new Nation! WH2K's dream is realized!!!
09.) WRESTLER OF THE WEEK: MARK HENRY
10.) Doo-Wop Duodenum: Name five guys you'd buy as WWE Champion right now, and five you don't see being champion in six months to a year.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

masato tatanka posted:

ken shamrock would be in the top 10 percentile of the UFC in regards to skill & conditioning if you put him in there today.

I haven't gotten all the way through that interview but there's loads of unintentional comedy. Or intentional, I can't tell.

The takeaway is that Ken Shamrock is a special gumbo of crazy that only professional fighting or prograps could ever love and properly utilize.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Perigryn posted:

From what Dave said, part of the reasons Battleground suffered was that most of the guys were still exhausted and jetlagged as hell from the Japanese tour.

But the workrate, by and large, wasn't the issue. It was the booking. Unless 'the guys' refers to Creative or the agents.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

flashy_mcflash posted:

But the workrate, by and large, wasn't the issue. It was the booking. Unless 'the guys' refers to Creative or the agents.

A few too many shots at the club with TAKA while they were over there I guess.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

There were a lot of botches.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rodney the Piper posted:

There were a lot of botches.

I don't think Battleground 'suffered' even in part because of that though. It suffered because the booking was simultaneously fairly predictable (as in just to get to Summerslam) and badly done.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
You're right: Battleground's big issue was the booking (though I think everything they did was pretty understandable - I just wish Ambrose-Rollins was canceled before the show). But botches did harm some matches, in particular AJ-Paige.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rodney the Piper posted:

You're right: Battleground's big issue was the booking (though I think everything they did was pretty understandable - I just wish Ambrose-Rollins was canceled before the show). But botches did harm some matches, in particular AJ-Paige.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the PPV but I can't deny I was flummoxed by some of the booking decisions, particularly Jericho beating Wyatt and the count-out finish for Rusev/Swagger. I enjoyed the matches themselves (and the relative lack of backstage skits) just fine though, and didn't think the finishes took away from that.

AJ/Paige was pretty good even with the botches, and I hope they continue giving them time in their matches.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I think they just want Bray going over at the end to be a slower burn. I still think Bray can eat losses and still be intimidating more than some people think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I still think Bray can eat losses and still be intimidating more than some people think.

I agree, I just didn't much see the point of Jericho winning their first match.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

For the same reason it doesn't mean poo poo when anybody beats RVD.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I agree, I just didn't much see the point of Jericho winning their first match.
It's a 3 match series and Bray has to win at Summerslam. The series is dumb, but Jericho winning made sense. They should have started with an Usos/Jericho trios match then had Bray go 2-0 in singles to make both feuds less stale.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

epitasis posted:

For the same reason it doesn't mean poo poo when anybody beats RVD.

People beating RVD dosn't mean poo poo because he's been beaten a lot since his return to WWE and should only be used to put people over and get a win or two to get him back over. This should be the same spot that Jericho has.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jericho should be in the same "doesn't mean poo poo when you beat him" spot? then why bother having him at all

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It's okay if Jericho gets a win in this feud as long as he doesn't win the feud as a whole. I'm generally not willing to give WWE the benefit of the doubt, but I'm totally willing to give Jericho the benefit of the doubt because he's put over lesser acts in the past.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It's a 3 match series and Bray has to win at Summerslam. The series is dumb, but Jericho winning made sense. They should have started with an Usos/Jericho trios match then had Bray go 2-0 in singles to make both feuds less stale.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the match had been better and didn't end completely out of nowhere. Basically they both did some moves and oh hey a Codebreaker welp the end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the match was weirdly flat and never got out of second gear, which was the real issue. It felt like a much smaller version of the Taker/Brock match, in that one guy hit his finish, everyone figured the scary magic monster man would kick out, and... he didn't.

It doesn't help that Jericho isn't a guy I associate with 'wins with his move'. How often does he get the pin off the Codebreaker or Lionsault?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

epitasis posted:

Jericho should be in the same "doesn't mean poo poo when you beat him" spot? then why bother having him at all

No, RVD shouldn't be "Just another guy" like he is. The crowd still kind of cares for him but not as much as Jericho. But both should be there to pass torches and picking up wins against guys lower than them or winning fights or angles. Like Jericho should be wrestling Harper and Rowan more, but they got tag matches and feuds they are in now, unlike during the Bryan and Cena feuds. I'd say that Bray needs at least two more Family members to be used as fodder then.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I can't even describe how amused I am that Austin's match of the week is a match that is available on the WWE Network and yet he's directing people to Youtube to watch it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dunbar posted:

I can't even describe how amused I am that Austin's match of the week is a match that is available on the WWE Network and yet he's directing people to Youtube to watch it.

He actually addressed this in another show. He fully supports the network and thinks everybody should get it, but he knows that not everybody necessarily will so he's directing them to a free alternative because he wants as many people as possible to be able to see good wrestling as he can. He said people with the network should search that for matches he recommends first, and if they can't find it there then they should use youtube.

Then again, in his interview with James Storm I'm pretty sure he recommends people check out some of Storm's matches on the WWE Network :3:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the match was weirdly flat and never got out of second gear, which was the real issue. It felt like a much smaller version of the Taker/Brock match, in that one guy hit his finish, everyone figured the scary magic monster man would kick out, and... he didn't.

It doesn't help that Jericho isn't a guy I associate with 'wins with his move'. How often does he get the pin off the Codebreaker or Lionsault?

Codebreaker often, Liontamer almost never, Lionsault sometimes?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

He actually addressed this in another show. He fully supports the network and thinks everybody should get it, but he knows that not everybody necessarily will so he's directing them to a free alternative because he wants as many people as possible to be able to see good wrestling as he can. He said people with the network should search that for matches he recommends first, and if they can't find it there then they should use youtube.

Then again, in his interview with James Storm I'm pretty sure he recommends people check out some of Storm's matches on the WWE Network :3:
That's a tough point for him to make when he's recommending Goldberg v. DDP over the entire galaxy of wrestling available on the Internet. Especially when the match he tried to recommend was Bret Hart v Dynamite Kid which was undoubtedly killer.

Personally, I'm going with my own private conspiracy theory that the wrestlers are getting poo poo payoffs from the Network so Austin is waging a silent one man war against it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dunbar posted:

That's a tough point for him to make when he's recommending Goldberg v. DDP over the entire galaxy of wrestling available on the Internet.

What's wrong with him recommending a really good match (which Goldberg/DDP is)? It's not like he can nominate every match in existence every week, there'll always be a ton of other fantastic matches that could have been nominated instead of whatever was.

Also I don't exactly see how recommending people go watch a free version of a match would be of any help to guys getting low payoffs from the WWE Network? So instead of a crappy payoff they get no payoff at all and no way for WWE to track if people are interested in them?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Goddamn the intro for this week's Punchsport Podcast was hilarious.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

THE 10 COUNT EPISODE 64

Hosts: The Goog, MassRafTer, Me.

THE TOPICS

01.) Battleground
02.) G1 Climax predictions
03.) G1 Climax Night 1 Reaction
04.) The best women's feud in forever
05.) Stephanie McMahon is amazing
06.) RIP Cesaro
07.) Paul Heyman is...more amazing.
08.) Kane's mask AND the new Nation! WH2K's dream is realized!!!
09.) WRESTLER OF THE WEEK: MARK HENRY
10.) Doo-Wop Duodenum: Name five guys you'd buy as WWE Champion right now, and five you don't see being champion in six months to a year.

You forgot to credit a certain visionary genius.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
pisscast.

Who have you got to win in the G1 climax?
Who is going to be your dud, underperformer?
Who is going to be your surprise of the tournament?

Would a tournament of this type work in the US, either in the indies or in the mainstream organisations?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sting is coming up on a Ross Report for those that don't burst into apoplectics when JR does his opening monologue.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Do you like podcasts? You'll love* The Swerve with Vince Russo! He reviews Raw, Impact, tells you his thoughts on his favorite band KISS, and interviews former writing partner Ed Ferrara. VIP members receive two more exclusive podcasts a week, two videos a month, and an exclusive master class where he teaches you all about writing professional wrestling! What a value!

*love not guaranteed

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He shouldn't have done MLW a couple weeks ago because that exhausted my Russo quota for at least the year, if not a lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

He shouldn't have done MLW a couple weeks ago because that exhausted my Russo quota for at least the year, if not a lifetime.

Forget that, I watched a video with Bryan and Dave interviewing Russo shortly into his WCW days on youtube, and that burned me out on listening to Russo.

• Locked thread