Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What an observation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think secret empire is actually a story about how nazis are cool or good

either way, you're allowed to say their story is lame but they're also allowed to ignore you. even if you're right

Just like most people who take issue with Secret War don't think Marvel's actually going to keep Captain America as a Nazi, most people who take issue with Secret War don't actually think that Marvel Editorial has a mandate to make Nazis cool and good, but "let's take an iconic character that represents freedom and justice and punching Hitler in the face, created by a couple of Jewish guys, and write a story where he gets magicked into always having been a Nazi" along with all the other dumb poo poo that springs forth from that decision, written by a guy who spends all his free time being a dickhead on Twitter, sure does have what the kids these days are calling "bad optics."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nobody's saying the story isn't dumb

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kai Tave posted:

Just like most people who take issue with Secret War don't think Marvel's actually going to keep Captain America as a Nazi, most people who take issue with Secret War don't actually think that Marvel Editorial has a mandate to make Nazis cool and good, but "let's take an iconic character that represents freedom and justice and punching Hitler in the face, created by a couple of Jewish guys, and write a story where he gets magicked into always having been a Nazi" along with all the other dumb poo poo that springs forth from that decision, written by a guy who spends all his free time being a dickhead on Twitter, sure does have what the kids these days are calling "bad optics."

Secret War was the good event (also several bad events and a non-event miniseries), this is Secret Empire the bad Captain America event (that was also a good Captain America storyline 40 years ago).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nick Spencer defended a Nazi when he got decked as a matter of free speech.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Nick Spencer defended a Nazi when he got decked as a matter of free speech.

As much as everyone would like to shut up those assholes, punching people is not a matter of free speech. And Cap has long history of defending even vile free speech long before Nick Spencer showed up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Nick Spencer is a racist and loves Nazis and wrote a story where Captain America A) is a Nazi and B) the nazis being in control is portrayed as something that's debatably good and comforting for the civilians.

It's very comforting to know that despite all this, he's definitely not a Nazi.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Secret War was the good event (also several bad events and a non-event miniseries), this is Secret Empire the bad Captain America event (that was also a good Captain America storyline 40 years ago).

My bad, can't keep all these secrets straight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think secret empire is actually a story about how nazis are cool or good

either way, you're allowed to say their story is lame but they're also allowed to ignore you. even if you're right

Yea, I have no idea how that sentiment exists with people who've actually read the books. Steve is clearly the villain here. Dark Knight Returns is more pro fascism than SE is.

I'm curious if the people who are bitching to comic store employees are actually buying the books, or ever intended to buy the books.

Nick Spencer comes across as those lefties that think repeating "I do not agree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it" is the highest stage of leftism when tolerance of intolerance is not tolerance or a virtue.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 3, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dan Didio posted:

Nick Spencer is a racist and loves Nazis and wrote a story where Captain America A) is a Nazi and B) the nazis being in control is portrayed as something that's debatably good and comforting for the civilians.

It's very comforting to know that despite all this, he's definitely not a Nazi.

He wants to send all the undesirables to concentration camps. Cap thinks it will be comforting and its not going to be.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

In the interests of fairness and in the spirit of Secret War Empire Crisis, let's all say one good thing about the Nazis

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

He wants to send all the undesirables to concentration camps.

It's good that Nick "The Ever Loving, Blue Eyed, Blonde Haired, Leather wearin'" Spencer, is stoking a reasonable debate around this.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Please let this event play out, in the end Cap will be not a loving fascist just like he hadn't been for three quarters of a goddamned century! Also Miles stabs him on the steps of the Capitol and then he comes back not Hydra! It'll be great! Also, if your worldview is predicated on the violent extermination of another group of people you relinquish all rights not to be punched in your racist head, that's the social contract.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Nick Spencer passionately arguing that people shouldn't be punched for the mad poo poo they say is probably more a self-preservation instinct than any ideological stance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

As much as everyone would like to shut up those assholes, punching people is not a matter of free speech. And Cap has long history of defending even vile free speech long before Nick Spencer showed up.

Counterpoint
https://twitter.com/prttybadtweeter/status/822620848897069056

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ookay I'm as put off by Secret Empire as any other card-carrying internet SJW ought to be but whaaat is happening in this thread right now.

e: To be clear, I'm glad Marvel were forced to defend themselves in a release (such as it was). They've been relying on schlock-value provocation to sell their books for ages and any tiny part of this mindset biting them in the tush gives my tush a jolly good feeling.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 3, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Don't buy the book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a terrible use of that song.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's a terrible use of that song.

Yeah, I shoulda gone with the MIA version of the clip. Or Thin Lizzy. I was in a rush and am now phone posting.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr Hootington posted:

Don't buy the book.

Thank you!!! I wish everyone here that was against the book would just shut the gently caress up already. This argument is so played out. It's done and over. The book is going to be released. All 9 issues of it and its tie-ins. Captain America is HYDRA and at the end of the event will go back to being normal Cap. At the end of the day the author and Marvel don't give a poo poo what you think because people are buying this book. Arguing about it like a bunch of loving goons doesn't solve a drat thing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I mean. They do care if they're doing a "please, guys, let the book play out (we're not nazis we swear)" statement. That said, yeahhhhh this thread went stupid places.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

pubic works project posted:

Thank you!!! I wish everyone here that was against the book would just shut the gently caress up already. This argument is so played out. It's done and over. The book is going to be released. All 9 issues of it and its tie-ins. Captain America is HYDRA and at the end of the event will go back to being normal Cap. At the end of the day the author and Marvel don't give a poo poo what you think because people are buying this book. Arguing about it like a bunch of loving goons doesn't solve a drat thing.

I wish everyone would talk about things in the discussion forum in the marvel thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I mean. They do care if they're doing a "please, guys, let the book play out (we're not nazis we swear)" statement. That said, yeahhhhh this thread went stupid places.

I think it went to a stupid place when the mod said it was wrong to punch Nazis.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dan Didio posted:

I wish everyone would talk about things in the discussion forum in the marvel thread.

Oh go ruin DC Comics some more, Didio.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think if you release a book or a movie it's reasonable to suggest that people should read/watch the whole thing before commenting.

If you're releasing your story in half a dozen bites over several months, nobody has the option to read/watch the whole thing, so you should expect people are going to react to what's directly in front of them. I guess you can say "this is all going to make more sense once you've seen the rest", but if your initial issues/episodes are really pissing people off and turning them off from wanting to see the rest, that's your own drat fault and you did not do a good job.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

X-O posted:

It's not for you or I to tell any creator what to write and how to write it. Just because you don't like a story or I don't like a story doesn't mean the creator shouldn't be able to tell it. That's up to that writer and their editors and the company they work for. Whether we like it or not should never enter the equation until it comes time to hand over the money or not.

Haha what is this dumb drivel.

Free speech :qq: I yell at no one in particular,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skwirl posted:

I think it went to a stupid place when the mod said it was wrong to punch Nazis.

I also went full free speech so he is either a Nazi or Nick Spencer.

But I repeat myself.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Scyther posted:

I think if you release a book or a movie it's reasonable to suggest that people should read/watch the whole thing before commenting.

If you're releasing your story in half a dozen bites over several months, nobody has the option to read/watch the whole thing, so you should expect people are going to react to what's directly in front of them. I guess you can say "this is all going to make more sense once you've seen the rest", but if your initial issues/episodes are really pissing people off and turning them off from wanting to see the rest, that's your own drat fault and you did not do a good job.

Yeah this is what I was trying to (and maybe not) getting at earlier. It's one thing to say "well have you read the whole thing," it's another thing to say that when the whole thing won't be finished and done for nine months or more. Expecting people to restrain themselves from all commentary or criticism until the end of the run is both unrealistic and fuckin stupid, and so if the thing you lead off with is "hey here's a story about Captain America the secret Nazi" then you don't get to shield yourself from criticism by playing the "but you haven't seen the ending yet!" card.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Either way it's going to be bad

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

It's true, change comes mostly by sitting silently and making sure nobody kicks up a fuss.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's true, change comes mostly by sitting silently and making sure nobody kicks up a fuss.

Yes because comic books are exactly like politics and social change.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yes? Literally everything is.

It's not the most glamorous Avenue but mass changes don't really happen. It's always a slow process.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Art is both inherently social and political, this is some sub-101 level poo poo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yes, it's very shocking to think that they would politicize the superhero who wears an american flag costume + shield who was involved in WW2 and beat up Nazis.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

BrianWilly posted:

Ookay I'm as put off by Secret Empire as any other card-carrying internet SJW ought to be but whaaat is happening in this thread right now.

If you go by the repeated posting by Dan Didio, Marvel Comics, after becoming a sentient person, personally came to his house, your house, my house, and everyone else's house, took a big poo poo on your plate, pulled out a Luger pistol and forced you to eat it, then they forced you to beat up your jewish friend with a baseball bat autographed by Super Hitler.

Does anyone else remember that story about Cap yelling at people about how twisted the US had become? I've seen it posted in the Touching/Inspirational thread before. I wonder if people freaked the gently caress out about it as much as this during that time considering Cap was telling the US to gently caress off.

e: nah

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 3, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No because telling the US to gently caress off is pretty good a lot of the time actually.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

If you go by the repeated posting by Dan Didio, Marvel Comics, after becoming a sentient person, personally came to his house, your house, my house, and everyone else's house, took a big poo poo on your plate, pulled out a Luger pistol and forced you to eat it, then they forced you to beat up your jewish friend with a baseball bat autographed by Super Hitler.

These are all things I said, yes.

Wait! No theyre not! What the heck!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Dan Didio posted:

Ok, so it was a Walther P38, my bad.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dan Didio posted:

You actually did say it at one point, but thanks to hypertime and frequent reboots that's a noncanon story now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Nuns with Guns posted:

You actually did say it at one point, but thanks to hypertime and frequent reboots that's a noncanon story now

Actually he never said it, it's just that Kobik altered history to make him say it so we could be having this discussion right now. Or Marvel used their power to make us realize he had said it. Actually I don't know it's all convoluted.

Forget it Jake, it's Batman's Shameful Secret.

• Locked thread