Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Asimo posted:

:laffo:

How much do you want to bet it's 5/3 with sensor analysis?

quote:

Ship Details

Tier: 6
Faction: All
Required Rank: Level 40
Hull Strength: 39,000 at level 40, 44,850 at level 50 and 52,000 at level 60
Shield Modifier: 1.45
Crew: 1500
Weapons: 4 Fore, 3 Aft
Device Slots: 3
Bridge Officer Stations: 1 Lieutenant Commander Tactical/Intel, 1 Ensign Engineering, 1 Commander Science, 1 Lieutenant Universal/Intel and 1 Lieutenant Commander Universal
Console Modifications: 4 Tactical, 2 Engineering, 5 Science
Base Turn Rate: 6 degrees per second
Impulse Modifier: 0.15
Inertia: 40
+5 Weapon Power, +15 Auxiliary Power
Can load Dual Cannons
Hangar Bays: 1
Hangar Bays loaded with Krenim Heavy Raiders
Console - Universal - Temporal Distortion Field
Sensor Analysis
Secondary Deflector Slot
Subsystem Targeting
Console Synergy
Console - Universal - Tipler Cylinder
Console - Universal - Manheim Device
Console - Universal - Timeline Analysis Sensor Grid
Console - Universal - Temporal Shielding Matrix
Starship Ability Package (Science Vessel)
Enhanced Particle Generators
Advanced Shield Systems
Enhanced Restorative Circuitry
Reactive Shield Technology
Time to Kill(Starship Trait)
4/3! Well, I was close. :ughh: This is pretty much the most blatantly P2W sciboat (5 sci/4 tac consoles, 4/3 weapon loadout, Wells-level shield mod, hangar bay with decent frigates..), and more importantly, it's the first T6 science vessel for klingons and romulans and it's a super rare doff pack drop. The official forums and reddit pubbies and such are an even mix of the usual "time to drop $1000!! thanks cryptic!!!" mouthbreathers and with people who are clearly aware that something is rotten here but are unable to articulate it or are getting shouted/voted down by the first group.

gently caress this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
gently caress, I want that Dreadnaught.

But I don't have the patience to get the 1billion EC I'll need, and I'm not spending any real money.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That is one sexy ship. Guess I need to start bugging some Wesleys for free money.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope that makes it to live.

- the melee only thing that is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Then T7 comes out in a year and makes that science dreadnought look like a piece of crap.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I seriously doubt they have another big expansion in them; that idiot well has to dry up some time. But then what do I know apparently it's completely normal to pump tons of money into the game every time some new ship comes out.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9500363

New Crystaline Event. Universal Kit [Module] as Reward.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 12, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kit module.

And I'm almost certain they took a screenshot of the values while in space. :laffo:

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Trendy takes the screenshots for the blogs most of the time. I'm not sure if she actually plays the game outside of taking screenshots.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tuskin38 posted:

Trendy takes the screenshots for the blogs most of the time. I'm not sure if she actually plays the game outside of taking screenshots.

Would you?

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Asimo posted:

4/3! Well, I was close. :ughh: This is pretty much the most blatantly P2W sciboat (5 sci/4 tac consoles, 4/3 weapon loadout, Wells-level shield mod, hangar bay with decent frigates..), and more importantly, it's the first T6 science vessel for klingons and romulans and it's a super rare doff pack drop. The official forums and reddit pubbies and such are an even mix of the usual "time to drop $1000!! thanks cryptic!!!" mouthbreathers and with people who are clearly aware that something is rotten here but are unable to articulate it or are getting shouted/voted down by the first group.

gently caress this game.

HowCrypticStillMakeMoney.png

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Do they not understand math?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Acer Pilot posted:

Do they not understand?

You used too many words.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

Do they not understand math?
Understanding how probability works is actually very hard for most people to understand and tends to be really poorly taught in school. Think of how many people fall prey to fallacies like "I've opened a hundred packs, surely I'm due for one now!"

And the picture there is a perfect example of those messages are spammed across the game. It's pure psychological manipulation to make the odds seem more favorable than they really are, since people only see the hits and not the excessive number of misses. It's the same reason slot machines light up and make noise when someone wins.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We could comment about P2W blah blah about the krenim dreadnought but honestly it's all been said before about many other ships.

What's interesting about this particular offering is that it instantly obsoletes even the other ultra rare limited edition T6 ships like the sheshar and jem hadar attack ship (not 6 months after it obsoleted the T-5U attack ship BTW).

It looks like they packed everything in they could to open wallets and if I said Cryptic "blew their load" on this ship I think I would be accurate.

The question is: what comes next to make this ship look like crap and obsolete compared to the next shiny collection of expensive overpriced gamble addict pixels?

Because I bet the science dreadnought replacement is surprisingly close over the horizon, based on how fast they are chucking these things out now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It'll be 8/0, able to turn on a dime, and come equipped with a full set of MK XII white iconian antiproton turrets

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

What's interesting about this particular offering is that it instantly obsoletes even the other ultra rare limited edition T6 ships like the sheshar and jem hadar attack ship (not 6 months after it obsoleted the T-5U attack ship BTW).
Eeeeh... it doesn't quite. It certainly comes close to it, but it has poo poo for mobility, "only" 4/3 weapon slots, lovely mobility, and science vessel hull durability. I can totally see flying a proper battlecruiser or something over it. It mostly definitely obsoletes the handful of T6 science vessels though, and the fact it's the first T6 science option for klingons/romulans and basically a straight upgrade to the Vesta (aka, the most popular fed sciboat) outside of mobility is absolutely not accidental, no.

Also I eagerly await the intel/pilot JHAS variant so the JHAS can be obsolete twice over. Since we all know it's coming. Cryptic has bled off any remaining goodwill in spending money on ships... you always want to give customers the illusion of permanence, especially with digital sales.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like star trek and have a terrible addiction to free MMOs. Is this game for me?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

I like star trek and have a terrible addiction to free MMOs. Is this game for me?

Well this game might cure you of the first part.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The old level 50 stuff is still kind of fun, just don't buy stuff.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It'll be 8/0, able to turn on a dime, and come equipped with a full set of MK XII white iconian antiproton turrets

I'm hoping this is the T-6 Brel

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want a k'vort.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

system protocol posted:

I'm hoping this is the T-6 Brel

In an ideal world where the game Dev team wasn't totally hosed up the T6 B'rel, Defiant and T'varo would all be full pilot ships. But apparently that's never going to happen.

(Also a T6 'vette.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 13, 2015

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

I would like the Pilot Manoeuvres more if they didn't have those overly exaggerated RCS thruster effects when using them.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9500383

TWO FREE Spec points for each character. GRAB IT NOW!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

MikeJF posted:

I want a k'vort.

I wanna k'vort in the briar patch with some Baku, if you know what I mean.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

poo poo's broke, can't spend em.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

A friend pointed out to me, that a certain new alien you meet in the new mission, like an awful lot like the Sphere Builders from Enterprise.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:lol:

Well, objectively speaking it's a nice bonus. But the fact it's a desirable prize shows how hosed the spec system is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

:lol:

Well, objectively speaking it's a nice bonus. But the fact it's a desirable prize shows how hosed the spec system is.

The fact that it doesn't work emphasizes that even more.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

I'll take an invite, my handle is @binpas

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
We can't currently invite you, that part of the game is broken.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

poo poo's broke, can't spend em.
Let's be fair to cryptic. They didn't break the Z-store spec points. They broke all spec points. Most players just haven't noticed because it takes so long to get a normal spec point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I was able to spend them on my KDF Rommie but not my Feddie.

Finally, they broke something in a way that is good to KDF.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

This is why it broke

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3gvahe/currently_investigating_skillsspec_points_bug/cu1u064

quote:

We are checking in a fix right now. As soon as it's validated, we're going to look at pushing it to Holodeck. This will likely require Emergency Downtime.
Here's an explanation of the issue:
When the system flags you as "Skills Invalid" it prevents adding/removing any powers to/from your Captain. This includes Skills, Traits, and Specs. It's all related to the one issue that's invalidating your skills. In the case of this particular bug, it's directly related to the Delta T4 Reputation Trait, "Enhanced Rending Shots."
The change we checked in that improved this power's performance on the server, required a small re-structure to the PowerTree related to the Delta Reputation, where when you earned T4 you are actually being given 3 powers instead of 2. One (the new one we had to add) is automatic, and doesn't require Slotting, but also does not activate on your character unless Enhanced Rending Shots is slotted. However, it the PowerTree itself was still flagged to only purchase 2 nodes within that Tier, and so when given 3 options it didn't know what to do with itself and continuously failed to meet Skill Validation.
We fixed that. Enhanced Rending Shots still has its performance improved, and the Reputation System no longer seizes up when more than 2 nodes exist within a PowerTree Tier.
Stay tuned for more information from the team on how and when this fix will be rolled out to Holodeck

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
'We forgot to change a constant and don't write tests'.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Oh you guys

https://twitter.com/thomasthecat/status/631952181701181440
https://twitter.com/thomasthecat/status/631952347619442689
https://twitter.com/STO_JamJamz/status/631910674906525696

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 14, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, huh, the new episode (will) reward a Tetryon omnidirectional beam! Presumably you can slot it alongside a standard Tet omni. Huzzah for a Tetryon DBB build!

...yep, Antiproton it is.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

exser posted:

I'll take an invite, my handle is @binpas

You're invited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

The whole thing is hilarious. You can tell the pubbies are grinning and bearing it for the devs, but are trying to slip in passive-agressive insults, thus the "checks for drugs or laxative" comments. This is the best thing, because if the pubbies weren't already suspicious of a dev-dental relationship, alarms are surely sounding off now.

• Locked thread