Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Very happy to see a few folks mention Mr. Wizard. If only it was streaming somewhere other than YouTube. I tried to watch the original Bill Nye a few years ago. I liked it as a kid, along with Mr. Wizard and Beakman's World, for what it's worth. But after watching Nye again, it was just so...scatterbrained and the information presented was a lot shallower than I remember. I think part of the problem is just that the editing and gimmicks have aged very poorly. They were novel and engaging in the 1990's, but now that every other schmuck on YouTube edits with jump cuts and such, it just seemed stale and overworked.

Anyway,

veni veni veni posted:

Mr Wizard 4 life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHVkYmnWV9M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Since Netflix has Bill Nye, Amazon should fire up a reboot of Beakman's World

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

This is terrific.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ChickenMedium posted:

Since Netflix has Bill Nye, Amazon should fire up a reboot of Beakman's World

I heard an npr interview with beakman once, he's huge in like South America and does tours and stuff.

e here we go, looks like he's popular from the rio grande to the straits of Magellan:

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/26/443168428/remember-beakmans-world-the-wacky-scientist-is-still-big-in-latin-america

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 9, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm honestly kind of relieved I'm not the only one that finds bill Nye and NDT irritating. I feel like I should like them but they both rub me the wrong way. I especially don't like Bill Nye's tendency to present himself as an expert in just about everything and appear panels that would be much better filled by someone else.

It kind of seems like he just came out of the woodwork after 20 years of irrelevance with some comments about climate change and atheism and everyone was like "hell yeah, remember Bill Nye? That guy is on point!" which is fine, but imo he is just milking it for everything it's worth and I'm tired of seeing him all over the place.

That said, I do think I went into his new show with an open mind and it just sucks on it's own merits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Degrasse-Tyson used to be a lot less aggravating, and every now and then depending on who's talking to him you still see flashes of the "old", more humble version of himself.

He's still got a long way to go before reaching Dawkins tier.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Richard Dawkins is a man who was not meant to live in the age of twitter

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What can you expect from the guy who literally invented the word meme

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
If anything that should make him some kind of Lord of Twitter but alas...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Degrasse-Tyson used to be a lot less aggravating, and every now and then depending on who's talking to him you still see flashes of the "old", more humble version of himself.

I cut him some slack because its gotta be frustrating to devote your life to scientific pursuits, and then to watch as like half the world just goes "nah, we're just gonna ignore all that". The frustration of that building and building over the course of a 30+ year career has got to be tough to deal with. Someone like Degrasse-Tyson has got to go to sleep at night wondering whether he accomplished anything at all in terms of educating people.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I cut him some slack because its gotta be frustrating to devote your life to scientific pursuits, and then to watch as like half the world just goes "nah, we're just gonna ignore all that". The frustration of that building and building over the course of a 30+ year career has got to be tough to deal with. Someone like Degrasse-Tyson has got to go to sleep at night wondering whether he accomplished anything at all in terms of educating people.

Not to mention every interviewer you ever come in contact with asking what it's like being a black scientist and asking questions on race in academia.

And also people were really pissed about the whole Pluto thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh for sure. And you can really tell when people ask him about religion and whether he's a "real" atheist or not, it's a subject he clearly has zero interest in (as long as it's benign spirituality and not organized persecution) and, like all rational people, is woke to the fact that "is there a God?" is pretty much at the bottom of the loving list of questions that scientists need to be dealing with right now. "Are there going to be humans in 20 years?" is a little more pressing of an issue to use time verbalizing about.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have never liked Bill Nye that much, but I did go hear him speak last year. I found his speech ok, and I give him credit for going up against the 'anti-science religious' crowd that I can't stand. My wife's parents think the earth is only 6,000 year old, and that climate change is a conspiracy to take your freedom away. So they are the problem, not Bill Nye. Still I think Bill Nye is his own worse enemy at times, and he might be hurting the cause more than helping it. Also his show was awful (but I'm a 80's kid, not a 90's one).

That said I had no idea people (outside of people like wife's parents) didn't like Degrasse-Tyson. While he is no Michio Kaku I enjoyed Cosmos, and I really don't find him that annoying.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
NDT occasionally makes statements way outside his wheelhouse and they're kind of adorably myopic in that way you get when very science-minded folk talk about the humanities or religion, which is aggravating, but not nearly as aggravating as the civilization-ending bullshit coming the other way.

e: also some of these statements were probably prompted by interviewers

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

precision posted:

He's still got a long way to go before reaching Dawkins tier.

Unfortunately he was super cringy in the Seth MacFarlane documentary. The one where he was flying around on the "Spaceship of Imagination". (I blame Seth, though. Not Neil)

What ever happened to almost-celebrity physicist Brain Greene? I really enjoyed him a long time ago. (Oh shoot - he has a couple documentaries on Amazon Prime. On Netflix his only hit is Chuggington)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Unfortunately he was super cringy in the Seth MacFarlane documentary. The one where he was flying around on the "Spaceship of Imagination". (I blame Seth, though. Not Neil)

What ever happened to almost-celebrity physicist Brain Greene? I really enjoyed him a long time ago. (Oh shoot - he has a couple documentaries on Amazon Prime. On Netflix his only hit is Chuggington)

Hate to break it to you, but that was a reboot of series based off a book by Carl Sagan. Spaceship of Imagination was not a MacFarlane idea--almost none of it was. He just helped get the thing made.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Yeah, before the NDT Cosmos came out, Netflix use to carry the Carl Sagan Cosmos and it was generally of a better quality despite being made in like the 70s/80s.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

precision posted:

Peak Drama TV came at the price of Nadir Sitcom. Within the same span of time, you had Happy Endings, Don't Trust the B, and several other great comedies get canceled, all while HIMYM was trying to prove the fallacy of sunk costs.

Selfie was phenomenal.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Animal Kingdom Season 1 is on Prime and it's real good. I don't know what it is about Australian movies that makes them so perfect for a tv show adaptation.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

nate fisher posted:

That said I had no idea people (outside of people like wife's parents) didn't like Degrasse-Tyson. While he is no Michio Kaku I enjoyed Cosmos, and I really don't find him that annoying.

He's developed a history of being annoyingly pedantic and also sticking his foot in his mouth.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Has anyone else made the mistake of watching too much of Ice Fantasy?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Erebus posted:

He's developed a history of being annoyingly pedantic and also sticking his foot in his mouth.

I'll take Bruenig over Tyson any day of the goddamn week

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

While he is no Michio Kaku I enjoyed Cosmos, and I really don't find him that annoying.

Michio Kaku is really cool but he believes some pretty stupid things (and that's coming from me, a person who believes in a lot of unscientific poo poo). Though to be fair, I think anytime I've heard him talk about something dumb it's been on Coast to Coast AM, so he might have just been playing to the audience.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Why are you believing a lot of unscientific poo poo?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Why are you believing a lot of unscientific poo poo?

I'm irrational.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

I'm irrational.

Alright then, m'am.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Beyond the Gates loving sucks.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Handmaid's Tale is great, but it's a little on the nose

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Beyond the Gates loving sucks.

Yeah, it's awful. Neat premise, though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I know I'm late to the party, but Patriot on Amazon Prime is so good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How does Showtime on Hulu work? I just saw a commercial saying that the new Twin Peaks is gonna be on Showtime on Hulu. Does that mean I'll be able to watch it without a Showtime subscription?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Detective No. 27 posted:

How does Showtime on Hulu work? I just saw a commercial saying that the new Twin Peaks is gonna be on Showtime on Hulu. Does that mean I'll be able to watch it without a Showtime subscription?

That means you can pay an extra $8.99 a month to get access to Showtime.

https://www.hulu.com/getshowtime
https://help.hulu.com/s/article/ka041000000q0PYAAY/what-is-showtime?language=en_US

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

precision posted:

Michio Kaku is really cool but he believes some pretty stupid things (and that's coming from me, a person who believes in a lot of unscientific poo poo). Though to be fair, I think anytime I've heard him talk about something dumb it's been on Coast to Coast AM, so he might have just been playing to the audience.

I have a real soft spot for Kaku. I had a good teacher that gave me his earliest books to read and found them fascinating. I found his university email and we chatted for a bit and he was extremely nice. I don't know if he's still popular in the media but he was the go to guy like Neil before during and after the Fukushima incident and he just put himself out there too much. He's always been on the "far out, man" side of things. Probably a hoot to get baked with.

On a streaming note, I'm really enjoying the Great Courses Plus. I access it through chromecast and the video quality is subpar but I'm hoping that improves. It doesn't detract from the content and you can download pdfs of the course materials and episodes. Made a seven hour road trip fly by. Really good variety, but not everything they offer. They said some courses feature material they don't have streaming rights for.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh. Hm. To watch it week by week or two just wait for the blurays to come out...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

just doing a temporary sub seems like a better deal since you can catch up on any other content you want to check out in the meantime, and in the end it will probably be the same price as a blu ray or less.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

just doing a temporary sub seems like a better deal since you can catch up on any other content you want to check out in the meantime, and in the end it will probably be the same price as a blu ray or less.

Perhaps, but I'm factoring in if the bluray set comes with a UV code and I can resell the discs sometime down the road.

I'm considering the same tactic for the new Star Trek show whenever that comes out.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Enos Cabell posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but Patriot on Amazon Prime is so good.

It's the best show in a long long time.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I guess that 3 hour classic cartoons set is back on Prime, just watched The Wacky Wabbit and the quality was pretty good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh. Hm. To watch it week by week or two just wait for the blurays to come out...

You might be able to get a free month if there's a trial on Amazon instant for their showtime channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You might be able to get a free month if there's a trial on Amazon instant for their showtime channel.

Do this! I did the free trial for all the Big 3 channels, was a good time!