Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

TwoDeer posted:

I happened to throw it on my growing list of notes to get back to someday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/...utm_name=iossmf

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kin posted:

Has anyone played around with the deadzones for the sticks yet?

I've been playing xenoverse 2 and it feels like I have to tilt the stick quite a bit to trigger a response.

I checked the settings and they say 8000 or something but is it best to leave the deadzone at that number or is there a better level to set it at?

The sticks come with a stupidly massive deadzone right out of the box, everyone should dial those in first and foremost. I think mine are around 1500 if not lower?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm currently unable to switch to desktop mode. It just quickly blips and returns to the suspend/reboot menu... I've rebooted and such. This seems not great.

I also get weird long pauses on the eye start movie. It starts the eye, blinks off and then back on, then sits there for 10 seconds before finishing the boot.

Edit: it works from the Power menu in the steam button list, but not when I hold power to get to that menu.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 26, 2022

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

does nioh 2 run good on the deck (stable 40 atleast)?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Is anyone into the Danganronpa games? My only experience with Spike Chunsoft games has been the first Somnium files game but I ended up loving it. Just wondering since all 3 games are on sale on steam at the moment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

infraboy posted:

Is anyone into the Danganronpa games? My only experience with Spike Chunsoft games has been the first Somnium files game but I ended up loving it. Just wondering since all 3 games are on sale on steam at the moment.

I am, they're excellent and 3 is possibly one of the best mystery games I've ever played.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Anyone played through Cultic on this thing?
I tried out the demo for 10 minutes just now and it seems dope, but I'm a bit concerned about performance (seemed to hold 40 but couldn't hit a constant 60 and that's in the early game) and wondering whether the full version shows prompts that match the UI on the Deck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kin posted:

Has anyone played around with the deadzones for the sticks yet?

I've been playing xenoverse 2 and it feels like I have to tilt the stick quite a bit to trigger a response.

I checked the settings and they say 8000 or something but is it best to leave the deadzone at that number or is there a better level to set it at?

Yeah. They're way too generous out of the box.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Angryhead posted:

Anyone played through Cultic on this thing?
I tried out the demo for 10 minutes just now and it seems dope, but I'm a bit concerned about performance (seemed to hold 40 but couldn't hit a constant 60 and that's in the early game) and wondering whether the full version shows prompts that match the UI on the Deck.

It's a bit jittery but definitely playable, I'll send you my settings tonight. It seems to run better than the demo for sure

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hmm, my left thumb stick has developed a very very slight squeak/friction.

It's not stopping anything from working but it's something i notice every time I move the stick.

Is there a way to fix it without some convoluted dismantle job?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Kin posted:

Hmm, my left thumb stick has developed a very very slight squeak/friction.

It's not stopping anything from working but it's something i notice every time I move the stick.

Is there a way to fix it without some convoluted dismantle job?

it's not super convoluted to replace them with $30 hall effect ones from amazon. You do need to do a little bit of soldering 1 wire I think and it's not really a hard solder job.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I have a probably super dumb question regarding opening up the Deck and putting in a new SSD.

With the 64GB version, you don't replace the existing drive, right? There's just a spare slot in the device for an NVMe drive (like the 256 and 512 versions of the Deck), so you can in theory go with a 64GB + 512GB SSD + 512GB MicroSD configuration?

Assuming that's right, is there anything to do on the system itself in terms of re-installing anything to the newly installed NVMe once you've sealed the Deck back up? I assume Steam OS will stay where it is on the default 64GB storage, and the system will just recognise that there's now 512GB of SSD space available?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, you replace the drive in all of them, even the 64gb model.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nintendo 49ers posted:

I have a probably super dumb question regarding opening up the Deck and putting in a new SSD.

With the 64GB version, you don't replace the existing drive, right? There's just a spare slot in the device for an NVMe drive (like the 256 and 512 versions of the Deck), so you can in theory go with a 64GB + 512GB SSD + 512GB MicroSD configuration?

Assuming that's right, is there anything to do on the system itself in terms of re-installing anything to the newly installed NVMe once you've sealed the Deck back up? I assume Steam OS will stay where it is on the default 64GB storage, and the system will just recognise that there's now 512GB of SSD space available?
No, the 64GB MMC is in the slot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And you’ll have to reinstall from the recovery image no matter what.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ah - I've either had duff advice or got the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

Thanks goons.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Risutora posted:

does nioh 2 run good on the deck (stable 40 atleast)?

No.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The Koei Tecmo engine that games like Nioh and others run on is pretty poor on PC in general. Then again, it's not much good on consoles either.

I wasn't happy with how Nioh 2 ran but once it hits a certain point you can't get it to run any better and if you don't run at the frame rate you've selected (30, 60 or 120) it actually slows down so at 40 you'd be running at about 2/3 speed. Persona 5 Strikers kind of almost runs well but the cutscenes have no sound, even if you have Proton GE, and you have to specifically turn off the Steam frame limiter and change the screen to exactly 58hz for it to be smooth. And the game that runs the absolute worst of anything I've tried on the Deck is one of the Gust games, Blue Reflection 2, which can't reliably reach 30fps even when you have it in minimum detail because the game engine for whatever reason just spends a bunch of time sitting idle during each frame. Given that I played through most of God of War on the Deck at a nice 40 that's pretty shameful.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Meanwhile Resident Evil Village hits a stable 60fps and with minor tweaking I even got it to do so without making the fan run full tilt nonstop. (The fan still does run a little hard but hey, portable RE8!)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Any recommendations for some thumb stick covers? I've found that in long sessions, they're not quite as comfy as I'd want.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For the curious, Bloodstained works fairly well on steam deck, but it hitches from time to time and the audio breaks into static randomly here and there. It's playable but the worst performing I've tried so far

Also, I really shouldn't have done a total chaos randomizer I can't find the stupid sword I need for the good ending and I think it's behind the quests whose items I also don't have lmao. You can do a lot of cool tech with just the short teleport skill though

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 26, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

interrodactyl posted:

Any recommendations for some thumb stick covers? I've found that in long sessions, they're not quite as comfy as I'd want.

Depends on what you need. Any of the Switch ones out there should fit, but you lose gyro aiming unless they're very thin. I found one on etsy where a guy was 3d printing some that basically had a hole in the middle to fix that. If you don't care about the gyro stuff you have plenty of choices

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

putting a vinyl skin on this thing is pretty frustrating but now I have this neat synthwave skin to go with my synthwave boot video

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tweak posted:

putting a vinyl skin on this thing is pretty frustrating but now I have this neat synthwave skin to go with my synthwave boot video

oh poo poo that looks real nice.. dbrand?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

tater_salad posted:

oh poo poo that looks real nice.. dbrand?

ZoomHitSkins, I just looked through etsy until I found one I liked:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1300495222/steam-deck-valve-skins-vinyl-sticker

A heat gun absolutely helped but lining up the pieces just right is still a pain

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

how do i give apps permission to open files in gaming mode?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mescal posted:

how do i give apps permission to open files in gaming mode?

Flatseal doesn't do this?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

loquacius posted:

Flatseal doesn't do this?

it doesnt see all my apps

edit; solved for now

how to read ebooks vertically?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 26, 2022

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

My Deck is going to be here within a couple of hours from Fedex and I'm so loving stoked. Has anyone here with chonky hands played it and how comfortable is it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tarkus posted:

My Deck is going to be here within a couple of hours from Fedex and I'm so loving stoked. Has anyone here with chonky hands played it and how comfortable is it?

I have long lanky hands.. it fits well. I do get some strain after-awhile. but that's more me gripping too hard after awhile.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Tarkus posted:

I have big hands and it fits great. My wife's got small hands and she hasn't ever complained about it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Good, I find that with my switch and DS I tend to get cramped hands. The Deck seems a bit bigger and will be ok in my hands.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Valve are ergonomic wizards, I love holding this thing in my hands.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lord Lambeth posted:

Valve are ergonomic wizards, I love holding this thing in my hands.

Even using the trackpad feels good.

Speaking of, does everyone use the right trackpad as a mouse more often than the left trackpad? I don't know why but using the left trackpad as a mouse doesn't feel right. Maybe it's because I'm right-handed, but then why would the default configuration do that?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The only issue I have with the ergonomics of the deck is the shoulder buttons. They feel awkward to press and I usually find myself remapping them to L4/R4.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 4/5 buttons feel awful to me, they’re too small and far in.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jokes posted:

Speaking of, does everyone use the right trackpad as a mouse more often than the left trackpad? I don't know why but using the left trackpad as a mouse doesn't feel right. Maybe it's because I'm right-handed, but then why would the default configuration do that?
I'm pretty sure the right trackpad as mouse is the default configuration.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tarkus posted:

I'm 6'3" and it's comfortable. I've never really done much comparing or measuring of my hands, tbh, but I'm sure they're big just because I'm big.

Tarkus posted:

Good, I find that with my switch and DS I tend to get cramped hands. The Deck seems a bit bigger and will be ok in my hands.
The ergonomics are much better on the Deck than on any other handheld I've seen.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm pretty sure the right trackpad as mouse is the default configuration.
Yeah, I usually use the right trackpad as a mouse but that's generally because it's the default, not because of any specific preference.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Yeah , its the natural way to left click.

Has the 'change to desktop mode' function gone funny for anyone after recent updates? The long-press button menu is otherwise fine except for desktop mode. Works like 1 in 10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

CRAYON posted:

The only issue I have with the ergonomics of the deck is the shoulder buttons. They feel awkward to press and I usually find myself remapping them to L4/R4.

Yes I find where on a console controller my index fingers prefer to rest on the shoulders, with the deck it's inverted and I prefer to rest on the trigger and move to use the shoulder buttons. Which can feel a little backwards!

Also 1tb SSD steam deck is glorious, with another 1tb SD card. I am installing too many things, shader hell incoming? Need to get EmuDeck set up now and load all that stuff in then this thing will be insane :getin: